[TUTORIAL] Carbon Filters, cheap AND easy

SublimeWind

Submitted By: SublimeWindSubmitted On: Today, 04:28 PMSubmitted In: Grow Room Tricks and Tips:Click here to go to tutorial

Hi all,

So this is my big introduction... And my tutorial...

I'd like to outline how to build a Carbon Scrubber for the DIY'er in most of us..

So, let's get to it..

Most of the materials are EASY to get at the local HomeDepot in the HVAC area.. Here is a pic of the general materials.. This tutorial will outline a 4" version, but making a larger (6"-8") would only require adjustment to the process..

Posted Image

Ok general parts list:

Carbon (I bought a 5gal bucket on Ebay, fine kernal, it'll make mutiple filters, it's worth it)

6" to 4" reducer

6" cap

4" plug/cap

1/2" hardware cloth

window screen

wire ties

sheet-metal screws

tools

Glue/screw the 4" cap into the 6" cap..

Posted Image

Measure out the HW cloth, giving enough extra to overlap about 1" or so...

Posted Image

Make a tube, and cover in window screen..(the outside of this tube)

Posted Image

I screwed 4 sheet metal screws into the reducer, right where the 4" section begins.. This I feel is important, it gives something for the screen tube to stop against..

Posted Image

This I feel is important, it gives something for the screen tube to stop against..

I even went as far as to capture the screen with the screws..

Posted Image

What you end up with...

Posted Image

Now, back to the cap... Measure out what screen is needed between the cap and reducer..

Posted Image

Now the outer tube..

Posted Image

Starting to come together...

Posted Image

Now the outer tube needs window screen on the INSIDE.. Netting you this..

Posted Image

Sheet metal screw the outer screen into the reducer..

Posted Image

I like to seal the screen to the reducer with some silicone, just to keep the carbon in place better..

Posted Image

Carbon time..

Posted Image

As you fill, tap on the sides and whatnot, to get the carbon to settle as much as possible..

Posted Image

Install the cap... The center cap centers and seals the top of the filter for you.. add a few sheet metal screws to hold together..

Posted Image

Finally, get out the shop vac, and possibly an air compressor... CARBON IS DIRTY.. vacuum and spray the filter, you might be supprised how dirty is is.. lol..

You'rs DONE.. connect to your duct fan and enjoy..!!! Understand that a carbon filter will KILL your CFM.. I'm using a CHEAP 80cfm duct booster fan, and it's not enough, I might be getting 40-60CFM out of this set-up... A larger filter WOULD flow better..

Posted Image

ENJOY,

Thank you,

Mud

Thanks alot!

Most of these DIY filter have the same approach...some subtle differences

DIY carbon filter

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31679

Another Diy filter

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=29402

True, but they aren't located here... now there is one here.. Thank you.. !

thanks for posting this dude! see ya at the next meeting!

No problem... Told ya it was easy.... Hopefully, if we have another meeting.. lol.. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ODAWADANNY

how important is it to hook a fan up to the carbon filter for a 3-4 plant grow?

It all depends on the strain for one , grow location for two and personal preference is the last choice .No matter many use them regardless for security issues . Only you can answer this question my friend as you hold the variables needed to answer .. Good luck.......OD

If the 3-4 plants are the cc99 strain then no fan (or for that matter, filter, needed at all). For lemon cake or skunk or really, all sstraains but cc99, a fan is vital (unless you're advertising your grow room like some bakeries that waft the odor of cinnabons out to the general public to induce buyers to enter).

Archived