Well Water Tips

Les

Our well water is very high in lime. . . slightly less in iron.

Is it necessary for me to filter this, or would I be OK going with the water straight from the tap form my first grow?

I don't mind spending the money for some type of filtration unit down the road, and I don't want to set myself up for failure on my first grow.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Get an RO filter system and mix your RO water with well water at a 1-1 or 2-1 ratio depending on the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) or PPM (Parts Per Million) of your well water.

I like to adjust my water to around 75-125 TDS - PPM this will buffer the water and help it hold a stable Ph and it's easier to adjust the Ph than straight RO water.

Straight RO will allow the PH to easily fluctuate up and down and can be hard to get the PH exactly right as a few drops of Ph Adjuster (Sulfuric Acid AKA Battery Acid or Vinegar for Ph down) it can move your Ph by several tenths of a point. It makes it tough to get a specific Ph.

Some growers use straight RO water. If you do run straight RO be sure to add Calcium and Magnesium back to your water as the RO filter removes everything from the water.

You can buy RO water at Meijers for 29 cents a gallon if you fill your own jugs, or it's 59 cents if you use new jugs at the store. Either way it's cheap and you can pick up a few gallons every time you go shopping. Wal Mart has it for like 37 cents a gallon also.

Get a TDS meter (around $20 for a basic tester) and check your well water for TDS, then decide how much RO to mix with it and start growing.

Hope this gets you started. rbuck

Get an RO filter system and mix your RO water with well water at a 1-1 or 2-1 ratio depending on the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) or PPM (Parts Per Million) of your well water.

I like to adjust my water to around 75-125 TDS - PPM this will buffer the water and help it hold a stable Ph and it's easier to adjust the Ph than straight RO water.

Straight RO will allow the PH to easily fluctuate up and down and can be hard to get the PH exactly right as a few drops of Ph Adjuster (Sulfuric Acid AKA Battery Acid or Vinegar for Ph down) it can move your Ph by several tenths of a point. It makes it tough to get a specific Ph.

Some growers use straight RO water. If you do run straight RO be sure to add Calcium and Magnesium back to your water as the RO filter removes everything from the water.

You can buy RO water at Meijers for 29 cents a gallon if you fill your own jugs, or it's 59 cents if you use new jugs at the store. Either way it's cheap and you can pick up a few gallons every time you go shopping. Wal Mart has it for like 37 cents a gallon also.

Get a TDS meter (around $20 for a basic tester) and check your well water for TDS, then decide how much RO to mix with it and start growing.

Hope this gets you started. rbuck

Awesome info. . . thanks.

Is it any coincidence that the bud in your avatar resembles a boner?? I think not.

You can get one on ebay for just a little over $100, if you shop around you can find some with free shipping too. Also get yourself a digital ph pen if you dont have one already.

Depending on how hard your well water is and how much water you use you will have to change the filters on the r/o every 3-6 months.

I have a three stage Dupont RO I purchased from Menards for about $150. However it has not worked for me. I have calibrated my ppm meter a couple of times. I was getting 640 without the RO and 490 after the RO. It makes no sense to me. The RO is connected right and only took me a hour to install. I'm headed over to my daughters house today and I'm going to test her city water. If that works I will just get it from her.

When I did this in the past I always fought with ph and burned leafs. I was using the well water without any treatment. Your plants look great. Are you using nutrients that are formulated for hard water? Is your water in the 600 + ppm? Maybe your water is closer to 300 or 200 and does not have issues? Also what method are you using to grow? It is my understanding that hempy buckets are more tolerant of hard water than hyro or airo systems.

It depends on your grow system. If you grow in dirt just filter your tap water & let sit a couple of days before use & you will be fine. As you hinted to there are other things to dial in before you need to worry to about fine tuning your water. ( as long as it is within acceptable levels & it sounds like yours is.)

Hydro is probably a little different & more dependant on exact ph & ppm.

When I did this in the past I always fought with ph and burned leafs. I was using the well water without any treatment. Your plants look great. Are you using nutrients that are formulated for hard water? Is your water in the 600 + ppm? Maybe your water is closer to 300 or 200 and does not have issues? Also what method are you using to grow? It is my understanding that hempy buckets are more tolerant of hard water than hyro or airo systems.

The last time I had my water checked for hardness it was at 650, It is hard. I grow in hydro and use general hydo flora system. Yes I use the flora micro in the hard water. I uesd it before the softener when I moved from the city but it rusted the inside of my system so bad I tried after the sotener with no problems. Also the water is hard enough it tears up the little plastic sprayers, so I dont use aero cloners any more. I know it is hard to deceide what to do with so many differant opinions from people, but you need to find 1 person who knows what they are doing and listen to them.Too many cooks spoil the soup. a lot of info posted on this site it all opinion and is not backed by experience. If you want some help p mail me I'm more than happy to help people who want help.

• 1 month later...

IF an RO system is not in your budget right now-- use Ionics Nutrients that are made for hard water....

we use straight well water with them and have very few problems--- just be sure to adjust your pH regularly, since the lime may make it change more frequently.... it could...but not necessarily.

just keep an eye on it!

:thumbsu:

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

What's the ticket price for RO system? I'm just starting my grow room, build, and still have to purchase my supplies. . . is this money better spent on RO (wait until later) or on better lights and/or materials.

I purchaced a small RO filter for $60. Been using it over a year and am still good to go. Cheap does not mean bad in this instance.