[TUTORIAL] DOUBLE BUDGET BUBBLEBUCKET

Grow Thread

Submitted By: bubblegrowerSubmitted On: Today, 08:04 AMSubmitted In: Grow Room Tricks and Tips:Click here to go to tutorial

DOUBLE BUDGET BUBBLE BUCKET

here we go. i'm using some extra parts around the grow room for pics, but the majority of the equipment was bought in bulk, so i used what i had :)

here's what we are starting with:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and also a 5" mesh pot. not sure how i left that out of the photos :)

anyhow, here's your parts list:

5 gallon bucket

5 gallon bucket lid

20-60 gallon wal-mart air pump $8.99

4 feet of 1/4" aquarium air line

one 6" air stone

one 2" mesh pot

one 2" mesh pot insert

one 5" mesh pot

1/4" airline tee

lets start with the lid:

Posted Image

you see 3 holes in the lid.

a 4 3/4" hole in the dead-center for the 5" mesh pot.

a 1/4" tiny hole in the very edge for the airline to pass through.

a 1 7/8" hole for our "lookout" hole :)

now lets grab our air pump and attach about 4-5" of airline to each port:

Posted Image

and then you want to connect those 2 ends of the airline to your 1/4" tee:.... (a little more secure than in the picture is preferred as i just threw it together for picture purposes :) ) :

Posted Image

then attach the rest of your airline (about 3 feet) to the open end of the tee. run this line through the 1/4" hole into and through the lid.

Posted Image

after the line is run from the tee, through the lid, and into the bucket, attach the 6" air stone to the end of the line. the 6" airstone has enough weight to itself that it will stay at the bottom of the bucket.

now let's get your 2" mesh pot and 2" insert together. these were leftovers in the grow room as i had bought mad bulk of each for various aerocloners. they are about 20 cents each for the 2" pot and the 2" insert:

Posted Image

these work as a GREAT airtight "plug" for the lid of the bucket. insert the set-up into the 1 7/8" hole in the lid and then put your 5" mesh pot in the big hole, and you should be somewhere about here:

Posted Image

the particular brand of buckets that i have here gives me exactly 4 gallons of water to reach a level that is 1/8" below the net pot. after plugging in the water pump and pulling the 5" mesh pot, i can see some action :)

Posted Image

ok, now here is where our 2" hole comes into play :) remove the little meshpot and we have an access hole:

Posted Image

from that access hole we can see the 5" mesh (growing) pot. we can also see what the water level is, and where we need to be.

also, we can use a 99 cent turkey baster to retrieve some water/nutes from that holefor testing:

Posted ImagePosted Image

so we fill/check/add, WHATEVER we need to do through the little hole and when we arent playing around in there, the 2" meshpot with the 2" insert inside plugs the hole for us and keeps bad crap out.

WE GOOD? :)

of course now we need a plant :) here's a newly rooted clone from the aerocloner:

Posted Image

and twinkle twinkle, click your heels together, and here she is after 20 days in veg:

Posted Image

i will leave the flower and harvest pics up to you guys :)

• 8 months later...

How often do you change the water in those? Every week? Any tricks for making it easy? How tough are the roots on cannabis? I saw a video on youtube where these girls put their plants in their empty bathtub while changing the water. Is something like that safe for them? Or should I maybe get a few empty buckets to park them while the water is changed?

Thanks BG!

How often do you change the water in those? Every week? Any tricks for making it easy? How tough are the roots on cannabis? I saw a video on youtube where these girls put their plants in their empty bathtub while changing the water. Is something like that safe for them? Or should I maybe get a few empty buckets to park them while the water is changed?

Thanks BG!

Hey Darkmatter, the bubble buckets and totes truly are very easy. Also, the growth is amazing! But like glaucoma1 says... BubbleGrower is the master at this, so always take his advice. I'm running the bubble totes myself. Pretty much keeping right to the letter on the whole grow. I've never changed out my water every week, but I try to not let them go more than three weeks. One of the nicest things about this is that you can have at least one extra bucket or tote, and then you never have to worry about setting the plants down on the roots. I just get the extra container ready with fresh solution, and then swap the lid. Take your old solution and dump it, then scrub it out with a bleach solution and repeat until you have them all changed out. Did I tell you that the growth is aggressive? You can see by BG's gallery just what's possible with this technique. Good luck!

believe it or not. I haven't "changed" my water in almost 2 years. just using the add back formula with DynaGrow Bloom and DynaGrow Mag Pro. I'm on Detroit water. I've never used Ph up or down. I've only tested Ph once, to prove to a friend I wasn't crazy, came out 5.7!

I wouldn't run a 4 gallon system that way but as long as you keep the water level up you could easily go an extra week or two without worry

I've never changed out my water every week, but I try to not let them go more than three weeks. One of the nicest things about this is that you can have at least one extra bucket or tote, and then you never have to worry about setting the plants down on the roots. I just get the extra container ready with fresh solution, and then swap the lid. Take your old solution and dump it, then scrub it out with a bleach solution and repeat until you have them all changed out.

NICE. Thanks guys. :bow:

believe it or not. I haven't "changed" my water in almost 2 years. just using the add back formula with DynaGrow Bloom and DynaGrow Mag Pro. I'm on Detroit water. I've never used Ph up or down. I've only tested Ph once, to prove to a friend I wasn't crazy, came out 5.7!

I wouldn't run a 4 gallon system that way but as long as you keep the water level up you could easily go an extra week or two without worry

Effortless grace! I love it. Yep yep. The proof is in the pudding. :thumbsu:

Did I tell you that the growth is aggressive?

Gotta love bubbles. Check out my trainwreck in my gallery. 10 0z. dry. Not bad for a first try. I have a OG Bubba Kush in bubbles now and she is awsome.

Starting to think I made the right choice on my 1st hydro set up.

• 4 weeks later...

I was vegging under T12s, and having no problems building a nice plant in a month or six weeks. I picked up a six tube T5 a while back, and WOW!!! What a difference. Much more structure. If it hasn't doubled the structure, it's pretty darn close. I'll get a 400W MH next, but I'm not sure that it will make as big a difference. The T5 runs cool, and I can keep it right down on the plants.

I was vegging under T12s, and having no problems building a nice plant in a month or six weeks. I picked up a six tube T5 a while back, and WOW!!! What a difference. Much more structure. If it hasn't doubled the structure, it's pretty darn close. I'll get a 400W MH next, but I'm not sure that it will make as big a difference. The T5 runs cool, and I can keep it right down on the plants.

Using four tubes of T5, am hoping for faster growth in veg with the addition of 400 - 600 watts of MH or HPS light.

Anyone experience good results (time, structure) with additional lighting to T5's?

Archived