[TUTORIAL] DO IT YOURSELF QWISO HASH

Grow Thread

Submitted By: bubblegrower Submitted On: Today, 12:49 PM Submitted In: Cooking, Medibles, and Tinctures Click here to go to tutorial Quote

QWISO = quick wash in isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

i use the 99% stuff. the 100% works a little quicker, but costs a bit more and is more difficult to find.

let's get some equipment rounded up. obviously these items can be changed out accordingly, but here's the stuff needed to make a small, quick batch.

i actually prefer making a lot of small batches as opposed to one big one. things move quicker and you can get things washed faster. it just makes for better quality hash IMO if you make it in smaller batches. anyways............. we need:

1qt. wide mouth mason jar filled 3/4 full with buds/lowers/clippings (the better the initial product the better the hash)

16oz bottle of 99% or 100% rubbing alcohol

strainer

a coffee filter

casserole dish

razor blade

bowl

here they are:

med_gallery_13801_60_1606825.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_1685672.jpg

first, i leave my bottle of rubbing alcohol and my jar of clippings in the freezer overnight. the cold helps the alcohol knock the trichome heads right off and thats what we want.

ok, timing is key here. the goal is to not let the plant matter sit in the alcohol too long.

the first step is to pour the rubbing alcohol into the mason jar full of buds/clippings/lowers....... screw the lid on real fast and shake like hell for exactly 30 seconds.

then dump the alcohol/trim mix into a strainer that is lined with a coffee filter and sitting over the bowl:

med_gallery_13801_60_965270.jpg

when i dump the alcohol into the strainer, i try to hold back as much plant matter as possible. as i said in the beginning, the goal here is to get the plant matter out of the alcohol ASAP now...... the longer it sits in the alcohol, the more "plant matter" that comes out. this will lower your thc level and make your hash a slimy green color.

here's what i dumped into the strainer:

med_gallery_13801_60_480498.jpg

and here's what got held back in the jar. some folks re-wash this..... but i just throw it away. i like the good stuff and the good stuff only :)

med_gallery_13801_60_2197664.jpg

now you can relax and medicate for a few mins............. drip drip drip:

med_gallery_13801_60_253802.jpg

after its all filtered down into the bowl, and your filter is empty, you want to dump the bowl into your casserole dish:

med_gallery_13801_60_1115927.jpg

(my dish had a bit of unscraped residue leftover from last batch..... thus the dark brown around the edges)

from here it takes another 24 hours usually.

light is bad. im not saying put your casserole dish in the dark, but dont stick it under your HID lamps either. from this point we want the rubbing alcohol to evaporate. a heating mat helps. if you do not have one, i just use a fan. blow right on it overnight. you wont hurt anything. we just want the alcohol to evaporate. this is where the 100% is faster than the 99% alcohol.

99% alcohol leaves 1% of something else....... thats water. water takes MUCH longer than alcohol to evaporate. this is why i never use less than 99% alcohol. 91% will work, but you will be waiting 3-4 days for all the water to dry out.

here's our dish almost dry:

med_gallery_13801_60_1486831.jpg

after its all the way dry, you can carefully begin scraping at it with a razor blade. you cant hurt the hash at this point, but you sure can hurt yourself. it will be rock hard and very hard to scrape..... so be careful.....

but when the scraping is done..................................

you can expect (normally) for one batch........ anywhere between 1-3 grams of hash depending on the quality of your starting product:

med_gallery_13801_60_572671.jpg

after im done scraping, i prefer to get my hash into the fridge right away. this preserves that nice golden brown color.

if your hash ball is subjected to any heat its no big deal, it will just become a darker brown color, and be more difficult to manage. (sticky)

after being in the fridge for awhile, you can literally just break off pieces to put over a bowl of your favorite meds, or into a hash pipe on its own.

med_gallery_13801_60_1404568.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_1463065.jpg

i have never tested my own hash, but i have seen qwiso test at 55-60% THC.

also, if you do not have the ability to keep your hash in the fridge, there are ways to avoid the stickiness :)

grind up some of your favorite meds like you are going to roll one up.

but then roll your hash ball in it instead.

this will keep it nice and easy to handle, and to cut chunks off of during medication sessions..

CAUTION:

rubbing alcohol is both flammable and toxic.

no smoking. no open flames. and be sure to let your hash dry in an extremely well ventilated area.

i've been doing Bubble Hash and its mighty tasty,how would you compare the two,taste wise,it sure looks good..but a lot different than mine...new question,,is there anything i can use the "washed" mat'l for?is there anything in it for baking,or oil,or is it just trash.i never feel like i got all of its goodness out..lol..and hate throwing it out..i had my first grow smell like straw because i cured it wrong,looked good,worked good,just smelled bad,,my friends cryed as i made batch after batch of hash out of it..i smiled...they came around after awhile..lol..good info,and thanks for taking the time to share it with us...with all the info. i've been getting off this site lately,it sure makes my $20.00 membership seem like a deal!! thanks BG...zzb

i've been doing Bubble Hash and its mighty tasty,how would you compare the two,taste wise,it sure looks good..but a lot different than mine...new question,,is there anything i can use the "washed" mat'l for?is there anything in it for baking,or oil,or is it just trash.i never feel like i got all of its goodness out..lol..and hate throwing it out..i had my first grow smell like straw because i cured it wrong,looked good,worked good,just smelled bad,,my friends cryed as i made batch after batch of hash out of it..i smiled...they came around after awhile..lol..good info,and thanks for taking the time to share it with us...with all the info. i've been getting off this site lately,it sure makes my $20.00 membership seem like a deal!! thanks BG...zzb

IMO bubblehash tastes more "earthy" and "pure" compared to the qwiso. bubblehash probably has a better taste to most than qwiso. the qwiso smells like patchouli..... and tastes like...... hell i dunno.... tastes like qwiso to me :)

i prefer the "chemical" taste of redbull compared to the "regular" taste of monster energy drinks.......... much the same with the hash.... only i wouldnt say qwiso tastes "chemical"..... its just........ sweet and nasty at the same time i guess :)

yeah, the washed material can be used again. it can either be rewashed in alcohol (same process) for a lesser quality priduct, or it can be boiled into some butter. once again.... lesser quality obviously.

it is wasteful for me to throw out my once-washed-material, but its not THAT wasteful :)

i just prefer nothing but the best for myself and my patients.

had a member contact me FRANTIC :) because theirs turned out clear :)

not making fun of anyone......... thats MY fault. i failed to mention in the original tutorial (i will go back and edit it now) that my initial mixture was a little green when first dumped into the casserole dish.

the material i used was 95% bud leaf trim and 5% lower buds really. if you use a higher percentage of buds, yours will be much more clear.

clear/blonde = GOOD!! :)

• 2 months later...

I wanted to bump up this thread because I will be making some in the next couple days.

I had a couple questions.

Do people vaporize hash? Can it be done? I've heard of people vaporizing oils, so I'm pretty sure this is a yes.

Also, I have 1 and a half jars worth of trim and buds to use. 1 jar is 3/4 full and 1 is about half full. Would you recommend making one strong batch out of the two? Using 2 bottles of 99% alcohol? I understand the more alcohol I use, the longer I will have to wait for evaporation, but is there any harm is using too much alcohol?

I wanted to bump up this thread because I will be making some in the next couple days.

I had a couple questions.

Do people vaporize hash? Can it be done? I've heard of people vaporizing oils, so I'm pretty sure this is a yes.

Also, I have 1 and a half jars worth of trim and buds to use. 1 jar is 3/4 full and 1 is about half full. Would you recommend making one strong batch out of the two? Using 2 bottles of 99% alcohol? I understand the more alcohol I use, the longer I will have to wait for evaporation, but is there any harm is using too much alcohol?

sure you can vape hash.

and i would make 2 jars w/ 2 bottles of ISO rather than stuffing one jar real full and making a single batch. you will get more bang for your buck, and it will give you the practice also :)

You ain't lying about it being clear. When I went and checked on mine when I woke up, I thought it had spilled out or something. I was checking the floor around the dish! :lol:

020.JPG

It's a nice blonde! I love blondes!!!! I'm not done scraping yet, but this is what I've got after a minute or two:

009.JPG

And you're right. It does vape well! I'm highly medicated! LOL

Has anyone made QWISO from vaporizer "duff"? I have a buddy that says he uses his vaped meds to make this and I was wondering if anyone's had decent results? What do you do with the vegetative matter left over after vaping? I go through a ton of meds using a vaporizer and have a good sized jar of finely ground, vaped meds...they're pretty brown when I'm done with them but I know there's some THC left in the matter...is it enough to monkey around with?

Guest Happy Guy

I use the ISO 2 machine to make hash oil. It's the same as the oil Mr. Simpson makes but a more conservative process. It reclaims the alcohol so there is a lot less fumes and the product is a little cleaner. I have a tutorial on another web site.

Archived