Medical Marijuana Distribution System Working Document

Bb,

My biggest concern regarding those White Papers.. Yes I understand its nothing more than one of many proposals being thought up but do you think there is any correlation with the Hemp Industry Bill being introduced to the whole prescription type system this Professor Fisher proposes?

I am a member of the Hemp Industries Association (HIA). I have been following the progress of hemp legalization efforts throughout the US and Canada since before Canada legalized industrial hemp in 1998. The various individuals and businesses that produce and consume hemp products have fought the very same resistance from the DEA and other government agencies that medical cannabis users are fighting.

A couple of examples are Nutiva, a California company that markets shelled hemp seed foods had their trucks seized twice by the DEA and had to fight the legal battle all the way to the Supreme Court to be able to import hemp seeds with almost zero THC. Hemp seeds are the most nutritious grain on the planet.

IN 2000 Alex White Plume a native American from the Oglala Sioux tribe heard George W. Bush say that indian reservations were sovereign nations so he planted a hemp crop on the Pine Ridge Reservation in North Dakota. Two weeks before harvest the DEA, FBI and US Marshals raided his crop and destroyed his plans to lift his family out of poverty.

North Dakota legalized the production of industrial hemp in 2006 and have since been joined by several other states. Family farmers in these states want to supply the growing US demand for hemp food and fiber that is now being supplied by Canada. They are being stopped from growing by the DEA. The US auto industry is using more and more hemp fiber in various parts of every new car. The hemp fiber must be imported.

I see the HIA as being on the same side of the battle against tyranny that MMJ patients and caregivers are now fighting.

Now the biggest problem I see with this is Monsanto or some other corporation trying to control the seed stock. Right now Canadian farmers are limited to certain government certified seed stock which keeps the price of seeds artificially high and leaves potential for further abuses.

I think the only workable solution is complete relegalization of cannabis. I think we need to attack the rationalization of the War on Drugs as it pertains to cannabis. Nixon rejected the findings of his own Shafer Commission Report and instead relied on propaganda to schedule cannabis as having no medical value. We know that this is insane, but the propaganda continues.

While we concentrate on the issue at hand, the MMMAct, we need to bear in mind that as long as the weed is not legal we are still in violation of Federal statutes and subject to federal penalties. A new administration could go right back to the failed policies of the Bush regime.

Sorry for the rant. My answer is, No I don't think there is a correlation between the hemp bill and these medical cannabis prohibitionists other than the opposition is influenced by propaganda.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously some cities such as Ann Arbor have it right. Their officials actually visited the dispensaries and had nothing but positive things to say: no noise, didn't affect the surrounding area and just operated like a normal retail establishment. They were impressed. But I 100% agree with you about this being a coordinated effort. I personally don't believe in coincidence and there have been way to many of those in the last couple months, especially in SE Michigan. Did you guys see the Michigan Municipal League's website?

Well the city officials were at the Ferndale one and gave them the OK and we all know what happen their

and yes i saw the Video and it was BS and when Matt ask her why she was telling them about how to lock us up

Southern Cross

Wow, did not know most of what you posted. Good stuff. My thinking just came from the urgency certain groups are all of a sudden putting on MMj. I understand it is election time, but still, its literally out of nowhere. If they have the stomach and ability to do that, then why not just capitalize on every aspect of cannabis at the same time? That was where i was mainly coming from

Southern Cross

Wow, did not know most of what you posted. Good stuff. My thinking just came from the urgency certain groups are all of a sudden putting on MMj. I understand it is election time, but still, its literally out of nowhere. If they have the stomach and ability to do that, then why not just capitalize on every aspect of cannabis at the same time? That was where i was mainly coming from

There could be a push from corporations like Dow Chemical to control the whole shebang.

We need to watch every move they make.

Last year the Hemp Industries Association held their convention in Washington DC. 3 members of the HIA were arrested for planting sterile hemp seeds on government property. :D

I don't recall right now, but I think it was DEA property. They were charged with trespassing, but got some good publicity. :))

While I have not read all the replies in this fascinating thread, I did want to clarify a point or two.

Compassion Clubs were never created to dispense cannabis, only information. In the beginning clubs began meeting before we were prepared to guide them. Ultimately, we created some basic guidelines and told new clubs to figure the rest out on your own. We can't change the past, but there is a clear course for the future.

Here's a good way for clubs to organize:

Form a NPO collective. From that entity, establish a DBA Compassion Club.

The NPO collective is the safest way to address vital patient needs, especially in light of the legal uproar in Oakland County. Any transfers between patients and caregivers not specifically registered to each other through the state program must be done privately to minimize risk to the seller. Collectives can be operated from private homes or public offices and all meetings should be restricted to members only.

The Compassion Club is the public face of the collective. It hosts open meetings at public locations so people new to medical cannabis will feel comfortable getting the information. A well run CC will also create a positive image to the public and our opponents making it easier for their collective to function. Open CC meetings are also a great way to generate new members for the collective.

An additional component could be a for profit entity that manages the day to day operation of the collective, and sells services and merchandise.

The message sent by Oakland County (and by default the majority of counties across the state, because you can be assured, other counties are looking at what happens in Oakland as a signal to charge forward or to retreat) is loud and clear, medical marijuana is a plague upon this great state and it will damage our children. That's the same bovine excrement our opponents tried selling before the election, and was the mantra of alcohol prohibitionists before them. In time and as long as public opinion favors our side, a liberal Michigan Supreme Court will probably allow some sort of collective distribution (unless a bold new legislature tackles this issue in 2011 because we don't even want our present lame duck puppets to touch this law). In the meantime, collectives must operate as safely and discretely as possible to keep the knuckledragging task force thugs from profiting off the destruction of good famalies that allow medicating with cannabis in their homes.

While I have not read all the replies in this fascinating thread, I did want to clarify a point or two.

Compassion Clubs were never created to dispense cannabis, only information. In the beginning clubs began meeting before we were prepared to guide them. Ultimately, we created some basic guidelines and told new clubs to figure the rest out on your own. We can't change the past, but there is a clear course for the future.

The NPO collective is the safest way to address vital patient needs, especially in light of the legal uproar in Oakland County. Any transfers between patients and caregivers not specifically registered to each other through the state program must be done privately to minimize risk to the seller. Collectives can be operated from private homes or public offices and all meetings should be restricted to members only.

The Compassion Club is the public face of the collective. It hosts open meetings at public locations so people new to medical cannabis will feel comfortable getting the information. A well run CC will also create a positive image to the public and our opponents making it easier for their collective to function. Open CC meetings are also a great way to generate new members for the collective.

An additional component could be a for profit entity that manages the day to day operation of the collective, and sells services and merchandise.

The message sent by Oakland County (and by default the majority of counties across the state, because you can be assured, other counties are looking at what happens in Oakland as a signal to charge forward or to retreat) is loud and clear, medical marijuana is a plague upon this great state and it will damage our children. That's the same bovine excrement our opponents tried selling before the election, and was the mantra of alcohol prohibitionists before them. In time and as long as public opinion favors our side, a liberal Michigan Supreme Court will probably allow some sort of collective distribution (unless a bold new legislature tackles this issue in 2011 because we don't even want our present lame duck puppets to touch this law). In the meantime, collectives must operate as safely and discretely as possible to keep the knuckledragging task force thugs from profiting off the destruction of good famalies that allow medicating with cannabis in their homes.

been missing your voice, glad to see you out and about

Thanks Brad. This is all excellent advice.

The only problem is Everybody's Cafe was restricted to members only and the cops just got fake ID to become members.

We need as much positive PR as we can get. Many of these cases are destined for the Supreme Court. Until then better safe than sorry, but how do we overcome the fake ID issue?

I think Brad is onto something that should be seriously considered.

Sb

EDIT: I thought CC's were supposed to be support and information/educational groups and that is all. After re-reading some of this thread I'm questioning many ideas. Distribution and CC's are not supposed to mix. Matching pt's with ct's is as far as it's supposed to go, but no transfers I thought. When I first got to talk to a CC leader I told him I thought it was supposed to be a support group and he said no but I think he was describing his club, not all clubs.

I think Brad is onto something that should be seriously considered.

Sb

EDIT: I thought CC's were supposed to be support and information/educational groups and that is all. After re-reading some of this thread I'm questioning many ideas. Distribution and CC's are not supposed to mix. Matching pt's with ct's is as far as it's supposed to go, but no transfers I thought. When I first got to talk to a CC leader I told him I thought it was supposed to be a support group and he said no but I think he was describing his club, not all clubs.

Brad does have some good input here.

I think the majority of CCs offer information and education in a public setting. Some are then deciding to have private member only meetings. They figure they can do what they want, as long as it isn't illegal, at a private meeting.

• 2 months later...

Im assuming with these that we agree P/P, P/CG, CG/CG, CG/P, and finally, P/out of state cardholder, and CG/out of state cardholder, are allowed under the law. (my stance is they are, the law would be null if we were restricted in aquisitional resources to maintain an uninterrupted supply, and if they werent , visiting people from another state would have to befriend someone the day they arrived, fill out CG paperwork, and wait for that person to get a card before acquiring medicine) if this is not the belief, then it needs to be addressed before we go any further with this section.

one way could be for select staff/ voted members perhaps (like a distribution board) assigned to dole out medicine, perhaps on consignment, or allow the grower themselves have space that could be "rented" out, for lack of a better term, on assigned days, theoretically, a grower could have medicine at a different CC every day. another option could be to become vendors and set it up like the canna-market that cereal city has had success with in the past. .

either way I still think the key obstacle here, working within the law, is going to be documentation* of the caregivers and patients involved to justify quantity. One caveat here, there will always need to be a staff comprised of people with pt/cg status with patient loads that correlate with quantities on hand to maintain such quantities under the act.

finally, if those doling out medicine happen to run out of the 15 ounces they are permitted or whatever amount they have that day, then they can go secure some more medicine, or be done for the day, and have another caregiver scheduled in.

patients will follow cargivers when they can , if they are operating in a safe, clean environment, then they will be more inclined to frequent those environments for say education, demonstrations, information, etc...

*with the privacy issues being covered by using pt and caregiver numbers.

I knew this was a good idea!

Archived