Simpson Oil

Guest Happy Guy

I'm going to go ahead and say Supercritical CO2 would be the closest thing to a perfect solvent for cannabinoid extraction.

Even under ideal laboratory conditions, solvents tend to remain in the final product when producing extracts, as is noted in the study I linked to above. It would stand to reason that far more impurities are left when extracts are produced by a layman. Get my drift?

If it remains under ideal laboratory condition, think of how much might remain under not-so ideal conditions. Ethanol is probably the safest bet, but I don't think it is as easy to get the same quality of oil one can get with Isopropyl.

Food for thought.

P.S. When I first started frequenting this site there was a guy who claimed to have bought a Supercritical extraction machine, he was trying to figure out how to use it. I wonder what ever became of him.

This is what I want:

http://www.edenlabs.org/supercritical_extraction.html

To put this iso alcohol contamination in context:

You would be more contaminated by getting swabbed by the nurse before your flu shot then you would with a dose of properly prepared, iso alcohol extracted, cannabis oil. You would absorb more through your skin when swabbed. My dosage amount is about the size of a BB. Imagine the tiny amount of iso alcohol that could possibly be in there after I boiled 99.9 % of it off. Iso alcohol is a very benign solvent when used correctly. It's easy to boil off and the mass spec showed what was left after boiling it off. All they could do was 'find it' in there. They could probably find human DNA in there too. It's a very sensitive test.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What remains to be documented, is the variance in the lab of different solvents efficacy in removing the targeted compounds. Ideally a lab should be equipped with:

1. A clean room for mold testing.

2. An SFE device, equipped to process material with different solvents.

3. A GC/MS/MS (and more importantly a skilled operator) to rule out pesticides, then graph the compounds of the collected extracts.

Much work remains to be done. Funding is an issue....

It would seem by adjusting the variables of temperature, pressure, solvent, and even feedstock; one could yield a cascade of different cannabinoids, and even tailor the end product to a particular therapeutic need. The idea is tantalizing.

But yeah, the whole money thing. I'm guessing $100,000 as a starting point for the type of lab you mention, minus the GC/MS. It would seem more cost effective to contract that out, plus one gains the whole independently tested, blah blah blah.

Guest Happy Guy

It would seem by adjusting the variables of temperature, pressure, solvent, and even feedstock; one could yield a cascade of different cannabinoids, and even tailor the end product to a particular therapeutic need. The idea is tantalizing.

But yeah, the whole money thing. I'm guessing $100,000 as a starting point for the type of lab you mention, minus the GC/MS. It would seem more cost effective to contract that out, plus one gains the whole independently tested, blah blah blah.

It's more expensive to contract it out. That's why you see the attack on conventional means we have been using for decades. Watch out for anyone who would condemn what we now make economically. They want to clean up financially with their new 'machine'. You can buy an old fashion iso machine for $200-$500 and you can use it like a coffee maker. It's that easy. We have no use for expensive testing either. As was just displayed and proven by mass spec analysis of what we have been making since the 70's, it's all good.

To put this iso alcohol contamination in context:

You would be more contaminated by getting swabbed by the nurse before your flu shot then you would with a dose of properly prepared, iso alcohol extracted, cannabis oil. You would absorb more through your skin when swabbed. My dosage amount is about the size of a BB. Imagine the tiny amount of iso alcohol that could possibly be in there after I boiled 99.9 % of it off. Iso alcohol is a very benign solvent when used correctly. It's easy to boil off and the mass spec showed what was left after boiling it off. All they could do was 'find it' in there. They could probably find human DNA in there too. It's a very sensitive test.

I mostly agree. However, the majority of people who attempt to make simpson oil are not going to have the same depth of understanding of the process that you, and Greenhouse, obviously posses. I won't even go into the ethics of evaporating solvents into the open atmosphere, or the likelihood of contaminants in non-reagent grade Isopropyl, which is what people typically employ.

The perfectionist in me wants NO residual solvent in the final product, and this is totally achievable.

It's more expensive to contract it out. That's why you see the attack on conventional means we have been using for decades. Watch out for anyone who would condemn what we now make economically. They want to clean up financially with their new 'machine'. You can buy an old fashion iso machine for $200-$500 and you can use it like a coffee maker. It's that easy. We have no use for expensive testing either. As was just displayed and proven by mass spec analysis of what we have been making since the 70's, it's all good.

The only thing proven was that even under stringent laboratory condition, Isopropyl will remain in the final product. I'm doubting you are producing extracts with the same standards, and equipment, as those mentioned in the study. While I don't disagree, generally, that any remaining Isopropyl is likely benign, that is kind of beside the point(s) I am trying to make.

Your oil is probably all good man. I would not hesitate to use it on a daily basis. I'm just looking for the best of the best.

Guest Happy Guy

The only thing proven was that even under stringent laboratory condition, Isopropyl will remain in the final product. I'm doubting you are producing extracts with the same standards, and equipment, as those mentioned in the study. While I don't disagree, generally, that any remaining Isopropyl is likely benign, that is kind of beside the point(s) I am trying to make.

Your oil is probably all good man. I would not hesitate to use it on a daily basis. I'm just looking for the best of the best.

You left out the part where they found the remaining iso solvent at a healthy level for human consumption. I've worked in a lab, I work at home, both places I use vaporization to remove the solvent. It's the same process either way. A lab doesn't do it 'better'. It's not the lab or the machine, it's the knowledge that is key. Like knowing that a alcohol swab from a nurse gives you more iso alcohol in your system than a dose of properly prepared cannabis oil that was made using iso alcohol. False fears are fought with real knowledge. You already can get the best of the best from using iso alcohol extraction properly. I'm sure you didn't understand that what you were saying was a cut down to those of us who already make the best for our patients.

You left out the part where they found the remaining iso solvent at a healthy level for human consumption. I've worked in a lab, I work at home, both places I use vaporization to remove the solvent. It's the same process either way. A lab doesn't do it 'better'. It's not the lab or the machine, it's the knowledge that is key. Like knowing that a alcohol swab from a nurse gives you more iso alcohol in your system than a dose of properly prepared cannabis oil that was made using iso alcohol. False fears are fought with real knowledge. You already can get the best of the best from using iso alcohol extraction properly. I'm sure you didn't understand that what you were saying was a cut down to those of us who already make the best for our patients.

I think you are letting personal bias get in the way of objectivity. The idea is to improve. You seem to contend there is no room for improvement. I strongly disagree.

Falling within arbitrary standards, where no long term studies relating to repeated low dose exposure exist, does not qualify as being "healthy for human consumption"; especially in immuno-compromised individuals such as those with Cancer, HIV, etc.

You say your oil is the 'best of the best', yet you provide no evidence. You even claim you have no need for independent testing. At the same time you claim the study, that I provided a link for, somehow proves what you have known all along; that your oil is perfectly safe, and residue free. I'm pretty sure none of the sample extracts cited in the study were your personally prepared Simpson oil. Am I wrong?

If you have never had your oil independently assayed, how the f can you be so certain?

Further Reading:

http://www.usp.org/pdf/EN/USPNF/generalChapter467Current.pdf

"Class 3 residual solvents (Table 3) may be regarded as less toxic

and of lower risk to human health than Class 1 and Class 2 residual

solvents. Class 3 includes no solvent known as a human health

hazard at levels normally accepted in pharmaceuticals. However,

there are no long-term toxicity or carcinogenicity studies for many of

the residual solvents in Class 3. Available data indicate that they are

less toxic in acute or short-term studies and negative in genotoxicity

studies.

Unless otherwise stated in the individual monograph, Class

3 residual solvents are limited to not more than 50 mg per day

(corresponding to 5000 ppm or 0.5% under Option 1). If a Class

3 solvent limit in an individual monograph is greater than 50 mg per

day, that residual solvent should be identified and quantified. The

procedures described in the Identification, Control, and Quantification of Residual Solvents section of this General Chapter, with

appropriate modifications to the standard solutions, are to be applied

wherever possible. Otherwise an appropriate validated procedure is

to be employed. Such procedure shall be submitted to the USP for

evaluation. "

50 mg per day! 5000 ppm! Thats pretty high when Isopropyl lacks long term studies to support it's safety. I wouldn't worry about 5000ppm of ethanol, but something like 5000ppm of MEK! That is insane.

Now if we go back to http://healthy-synergies.com/Documents/2-1-33-46.pdf, the actual analysis of various extracts utilizing Isopropyl varied from 0 ppm - 131 ppm. Probably benign, but we can't be sure.

Guest Happy Guy

I think you are letting personal bias get in the way of objectivity. The idea is to improve. You seem to contend there is no room for improvement. I strongly disagree.

Falling within arbitrary standards, where no long term studies relating to repeated low dose exposure exist, does not qualify as being "healthy for human consumption"; especially in immuno-compromised individuals such as those with Cancer, HIV, etc.

You say your oil is the 'best of the best', yet you provide no evidence. You even claim you have no need for independent testing. At the same time you claim the study, that I provided a link for, somehow proves what you have known all along; that your oil is perfectly safe, and residue free. I'm pretty sure none of the sample extracts cited in the study were your personally prepared Simpson oil. Am I wrong?

If you have never had your oil independently assayed, how the f can you be so certain?

Answer: Because I have lab training and I understand the properties of chemical compounds. This is very basic chemistry my friend. That's how I know. I grew the cannabis myself so I know what is in that. I use a solvent with known properties. The same solvent that they swab cancer patients with. They get more through the skin than they do with an iso extracted cannabis oil dose.

I don't need mass spec analysis to know what is in my oil. Mass spec might find moon dust in there too because the tests are so sensitive. It was good to see that there was less solvent left in the oil than you would get with a swabbing before your flu shot. I really hope you take the time to read this and understand more about iso extracted cannabis oil so your can put your fears to bed. The iso solvent is, in essence, gone from the oil. It is perfectly safe and 'dangerous' residue free.

I take this very serious. I have had enough chemical engineering training to know my oil. The knowledge gives me the courage to stand up to anyone who would cut it down with false fears that do not match the science involved. Knowledge is power. It takes power to fight sickness, disease, and those who would spread mis information intentionally, or not.

• 2 months later...

I have been extracting the essential oils from cannabis for a few years now, after reading about the anti-inflamatory properties. I have experience d great relief from the disk degeneration and nerve pain that I have. Arthritis is a big problem for me as well, and this substance taken every 12 hrs at a dose of 75 mg has been a Godsend! I am able to have a better quality of life as the result of cannabis oil. Muscle tension and stress has also been a problem for me and I have found that the cannabis extract I make , taken orally, or smoked, does a great job of alleviating my pain! I have experimented with different methods of extraction and found that 150-190 proof freeze quick wash produces a very potent version that tastes really floral almost like opium! Highly recommend it!

I have been extracting the essential oils from cannabis for a few years now, after reading about the anti-inflamatory properties. I have experience d great relief from the disk degeneration and nerve pain that I have. Arthritis is a big problem for me as well, and this substance taken every 12 hrs at a dose of 75 mg has been a Godsend! I am able to have a better quality of life as the result of cannabis oil. Muscle tension and stress has also been a problem for me and I have found that the cannabis extract I make , taken orally, or smoked, does a great job of alleviating my pain! I have experimented with different methods of extraction and found that 150-190 proof freeze quick wash produces a very potent version that tastes really floral almost like opium! Highly recommend it!

Could you please explain exactly what "150 - 190 proof freeze quick wash" is? Sounds very beneficial, the quick part is interesting. Have heard of quick wash hash, and using 150 proof stuff, but the freeze part?

Could be a way to go if you do not own a Thai power machine or do not want to stand outside in freezing cold weather to evaporate off 99% alcohol.

Thanks

Could you please explain exactly what "150 - 190 proof freeze quick wash" is? Sounds very beneficial, the quick part is interesting. Have heard of quick wash hash, and using 150 proof stuff, but the freeze part?

Could be a way to go if you do not own a Thai power machine or do not want to stand outside in freezing cold weather to evaporate off 99% alcohol.

Thanks

Not sure but i think he means he freezes the trim and alcohol. The booze won't actually freeze but it will be nice and cold. I personally don't think freezing the booze will do much though.

Freezing makes trichomes fall off faster when making bubble hash or other trichome extraction methods because the trichomes become hard or brittle. Alcohol is used as a solvent when making oil. It basically dissolves the trichomes into oil. Not sure that freezing or chilling the solvent will make trichomes dissolve any faster, in fact it may do just the opposite.

Yesterday a friend of mine came over that is a MMJ patient and was complaining of a tooth ache so I let him apply a dab about the size of a grain of rice of simpson oil around his tooth and gum area and with in 2 minuets his pain was reduced in half that made made me think what if the simpson oil was mixed with clove oil would it then be me more effective hmmmmmmmmmmmm

budhabit, that is a really good idea!! I had "dry socket" once after getting a tooth pulled - excruciating pain. Treatment was packing the empty tooth hole with a small strip of gauze saturated in clove oil. It reduced the pain but it still hurt like crazy. From what I am reading the Simpson oil, I bet it would work really good like you said, mixed with clove oil, for toothache.

Not sure but i think he means he freezes the trim and alcohol. The booze won't actually freeze but it will be nice and cold. I personally don't think freezing the booze will do much though.

Freezing makes trichomes fall off faster when making bubble hash or other trichome extraction methods because the trichomes become hard or brittle. Alcohol is used as a solvent when making oil. It basically dissolves the trichomes into oil. Not sure that freezing or chilling the solvent will make trichomes dissolve any faster, in fact it may do just the opposite.

Yea, could see freezing trim for hash making..........just seems frozen and quick would be what hash making is all about. Simpson oil though would seem to be all about a longer process to get more of the other elements out such as CBD's for pain relief.

This poster says pain relief works real well with their method, would really like to know exactly what that is before committing materials to make it to try out.

• 1 month later...

this is even true when using naptha....

i just got my simpson oil tested....and the results are in....

this is the email i got back along with the results.

Here are the PDFs of your reports.

I also looked for a significant amount of naptha in your oil, but I could not see any. Your oil is at least 74% cannabinoids according to the testing. There are other minor cannabinoids in it as well, as much as 5%, there is also squalene, chlorophyll and other naturally occuring materials like terpenes and flavinoids. In one gram (1000mg) of your RSO, it may be possible there is 5 mg or 0.5% of naptha MAXIMUM, but it's highly unlikely. The lethal internal dose for a rat is 5mg per kg (2.2lbs) of body weight. If you were a 220 lb person it would take 500mg to kill you, and probably 10% of that to experience ill effects.

Yours is the purest Simpson Oil I have seen to date, so I think it is very safe to use.

If you have any questions, feel free to call or email

Thank you for the business!

Cannabinoid Profile

Total Assayable THC/CBD

Cannabinoids

THC: 70.95%

CBD: 1.59%

CBN: 1.54%

Total: 74.08%

Ratio:

45:1

i am not a scientist nor do i work or have access to a lab.

clean effective medicine can be made at home.

Archived