Making Tincture

So I have been wanting to make some kind of medibal for a family member, but I can't seem to get any family to let me cook it in their homes(smell)

Sooooooo.... I just discovered my stepfather brought home a big azz jar of moonshine... is that something I could make a tincture from?

Any smell involved, explosion, anything like that involved in making it, can I use trim or do I need bud? I just want something that doesnt have to be smoked to help my brother in law. hes is sick and im tired of watching him suffer my sister has fibromyalgia as well so they both need something that helps.

Thanks in advance!!

Trix :bong2:

I have a friend whose husband has ataxia. She made tincture using moonshine. She gave it to him through his feeding tube, and he smiled for the first time in 10 years. She gave me a sample and it worked great. She used the internet as a resource. And I gave her a bunch of leaves, stalks, etc. That's all she used to make it. Let me know if u want to try some, im sure I can get u a sample.

Ok well I'm no chemist, nor have I made it before.. but I guess it could just be some strong smelling liquor, stronger smelling than 181 Bacardi Rum? (It all smells horrid)

erm yah.. didn't see any issue w/ the "moonshine" comment.. but thanks for pointing it out. I'll knock my still down to be safe :pic:

erm yah.. didn't see any issue w/ the "moonshine" comment.. but thanks for pointing it out. I'll knock my still down to be safe :pic:

Moonshine is illegal right?

law enforcement is looking for every little bit of info to try to overturn our law im just trying to do my part in helping everyone stay out of trouble including you.

Guest thequietone

In my opinion you should be using Certified Organic Neutral Grape Alcohol or something similar. My link

This is made for making tinctures and other extracts.

"Grape sugars are unique, and because of their unique actions, grape alcohol does a superior job of extracting medicinal plant constituents. In addition, organic grape alcohol is hypo-allergenic and guaranteed 100% free of genetic modification." - Gail Edwards, Herbalist

I do know someone on the east side who uses this exclusively. I have tried his tinctures and they are very good and worked very well for pain.

• 3 months later...

In my opinion you should be using Certified Organic Neutral Grape Alcohol or something similar. My link

"Grape sugars are unique, and because of their unique actions, grape alcohol does a superior job of extracting medicinal plant constituents. In addition, organic grape alcohol is hypo-allergenic and guaranteed 100% free of genetic modification." - Gail Edwards, Herbalist

I do know someone on the east side who uses this exclusively. I have tried his tinctures and they are very good and worked very well for pain.

Im thinking about using glycerin does anyone have any recipes they could share?

Moonshine is illegal right?

law enforcement is looking for every little bit of info to try to overturn our law im just trying to do my part in helping everyone stay out of trouble including you.

I'm neutral on this one, but must admit the irony of using illegal alcohol to make a schedule 1 controlled substance in your kitchen brought a smile to my face..... Carry on my wayward son....

Dr. Bob

• 4 weeks later...

I've used Everclear 190 which IMO is more pure form of alcohol than moonshine and legal to purchase. You MUST cook it down though because in tincture form that 'ish burns the heck out of your tongue. lol. It's pretty narly stuff. I believe in MI you can only get 150 Everclear which is still pretty strong. You gotta hop over to IN to get the 190.

• 1 month later...

Im thinking about using glycerin does anyone have any recipes they could share?

Sorry, I don't have a glycerin recipe to share, though in my opinion and after talking with other patients, the glycerin kind doesn't do a very good job. I needed about 1/2 of a liquid ounce to feel anything off a glycerin tincture, but only need about 10 drops of an alcohol tincture.

190-proof

In the United States, it is illegal to sell the 190-proof variety in California, Florida,[4] Hawaii, Iowa,[5] Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,[6] , New Hampshire, North Carolina,[7] [8] Ohio, Washington, West Virginia, and Virginia.

It is legal to sell Everclear 190 in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut [9], Delaware, Georgia, Idaho,[10] Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming, the District of Columbia, and in some military stores within the continental United States.

151-proof

The 151-proof variety is legally available for sale in California, Florida, Iowa,[5] Michigan,[11] Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and some other states.

190-proof

In the United States, it is illegal to sell the 190-proof variety in California, Florida,[4] Hawaii, Iowa,[5] Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,[6] , New Hampshire, North Carolina,[7] [8] Ohio, Washington, West Virginia, and Virginia.

It is legal to sell Everclear 190 in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut [9], Delaware, Georgia, Idaho,[10] Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming, the District of Columbia, and in some military stores within the continental United States.

151-proof

The 151-proof variety is legally available for sale in California, Florida, Iowa,[5] Michigan,[11] Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and some other states.

It's illegal to sell Everclear / 190 proof ethanol in Michigan, but I don't think it's illegal to possess. I just picked up a few bottles of Everclear in an Indiana liquor store a few weeks ago. I spent a few minutes looking the laws up, wondering if my possession of Everclear was illegal. As far as I can tell only sales are prohibited. Breathing a sigh of relief, since I bought several bottles.

I prefer Everclear tinctures over Bacardi 151. I like to soak the buds/trim in the Everclear for 1-2 minutes, longer than the 15-30 seconds recommended for smokable extracts. My Everclear based tincture seems to taste cleaner than lower proof tincture, I think because the water in lower-proof booze is an excellent solvent for pulling chlorophyll and the green taste out of the leaves.

I tried making a glycerin tincture once, heating a mixture of dry buds and glycerin, then straining. It tasted great -- sweet, with the nicest flavors and smells of the buds. Potency was lower than ethanol tincture, though, I think because the THC and cannabinoids were not fully extracted from the buds. Next time I might try a glycerin batch with made with some buds (for flavor) and some isopropyl based extract (for potency).

alcohol is a Polarized solvent. Polar solvents strip plant material as well as the TCH from cannabis.

thus the green color because that is the clorophil being stripped out.

Non Polar solvents like Butane or Hexane do not strip the plant materials like clorophil, thus little to zero green color.

the stronger the alcohols proof, the less polar properties it has, but it will still take the clorophil as well just less than 151 or 100 proof alcohol does.

alcohol is a Polarized solvent. Polar solvents strip plant material as well as the TCH from cannabis.

thus the green color because that is the clorophil being stripped out.

Extract the chlorophyll out by soaking in water first.

The active ingredients are not water soluble and you will not lose potency.

Put the herb in a glass jar and completely fill with water.

If there is air space then you could have problems with mold.

Let it sit and drain when the water turns green.

(The water smells like butt)

Replace with fresh water until the water stays clear then dry and extract with the alcohol.

Extract the chlorophyll out by soaking in water first.

The active ingredients are not water soluble and you will not lose potency.

Put the herb in a glass jar and completely fill with water.

If there is air space then you could have problems with mold.

Let it sit and drain when the water turns green.

(The water smells like butt)

Replace with fresh water until the water stays clear then dry and extract with the alcohol.

thanks for posting that..

• 1 month later...

I would worry more about contaminants in the moonshine than whether or not it is illegal.

Have you seen the still that made it, they can be pretty scary with old radiators and other toxic parts.

If i trusted the source then would not hesitate to use it.

Higher alcohol content would produce a less green extract without a water wash first.

If the rusulting oil will be eaten, then extracting chlorophyll also is only a matter of potency calibration.

I never had much luck with alcohol extractions, prefering acetone myself. That way I get no chlorophyll and have something that is repeatable with varying amounts of starting material. I then use about %5 everclear to make the otherwise hard/sticky goo workable with a syringe.

Food grade acetone evaporate completley and cleanly leaving a very strong, already decarboxylized oil ready for just about any use.

• 2 weeks later...

I would worry more about contaminants in the moonshine than whether or not it is illegal.

Have you seen the still that made it, they can be pretty scary with old radiators and other toxic parts.

If i trusted the source then would not hesitate to use it.

Higher alcohol content would produce a less green extract without a water wash first.

If the rusulting oil will be eaten, then extracting chlorophyll also is only a matter of potency calibration.

I never had much luck with alcohol extractions, prefering acetone myself. That way I get no chlorophyll and have something that is repeatable with varying amounts of starting material. I then use about %5 everclear to make the otherwise hard/sticky goo workable with a syringe.

Food grade acetone evaporate completley and cleanly leaving a very strong, already decarboxylized oil ready for just about any use.

Where do you get food grade acetone?? I thhought that acetone was a paint remover and there is a food grade??

Where do you get food grade acetone?? I thhought that acetone was a paint remover and there is a food grade??

The first time I purchased it was on ebay and it was listed as food grade. The bottle actually said medical grade, that is what I should have said, there may not even be something called food grade.

It comes in a glass bottle and costs about 5 to 10 times more that standard paint stripper type acetone from home depot.

The cost is pretty small compared to what is produced. About 4 to 5 ounces of acetone is used to extract one full ounce of buds, yeilding 3 or 4 ml/grams of oil.

I did use the regular type for about six months before realizing something cleaner existed. The patients involved were not concerned, but I always worried about poisoning them without even knowing it.

Scientific supply houses sell the medical grade as well, but they can be very costly.

The first time I purchased it was on ebay and it was listed as food grade. The bottle actually said medical grade, that is what I should have said, there may not even be something called food grade.

It comes in a glass bottle and costs about 5 to 10 times more that standard paint stripper type acetone from home depot.

The cost is pretty small compared to what is produced. About 4 to 5 ounces of acetone is used to extract one full ounce of buds, yeilding 3 or 4 ml/grams of oil.

I did use the regular type for about six months before realizing something cleaner existed. The patients involved were not concerned, but I always worried about poisoning them without even knowing it.

Scientific supply houses sell the medical grade as well, but they can be very costly.

Do you mean medical supply houses??

Archived