Medical Marijuana, Medicaid & Pregnancy

Hello, This is my 1st post at this site, and I'm really hoping that someone has some good answers for me regarding my situation. Thanks in advance to anyone/everyone who can offer anything....

I am wondering what the laws are regarding the use of marijuana while pregnant and on medicaid.

I have had my medical marijuana card since last Oct, and have just recently (May) found out I am pregnant. This is my 3rd child, but the 1st time I've had Medicaid while pregnant, and apparently (found out today) they order drug tests for pregnant women. I had not mentioned the medical MJ to my OBGYN, as I know it's really controversial in general (the whole Med MJ card regardless of being PG or not) and I honestly didn't want them to judge me or look down on me in any way over my use of MJ. So even though I'm a "legal smoker" I figured I wouldn't get into it b/c I didn't want any issues.....

Well now that I know I will be being drug tested, I have notified my OB's office about my medical card (have not talked to them about it yet though) since they will obviously find out anyhow when the test results come back. I figure it's better they know in advance (of the results coming in) that it is/was a prescription and not "recreational use".

I am concerned about "getting in trouble" for having used marijuana while pregnant. I am not sure what the laws are, what my rights are as a medical marijuana patient.... IF using it while pregnant is legal or allowed in any circumstances? If not "legal/allowed" what are they gonna do to me/my baby/my family (other kids) when they find out about my usage? Will I be forced to stop using it during the remainder of the pg'cy? (if so, and if that's the worst that happens then I'll be relieved and "no biggie" but wondering if there is going to be more to it than just a "you should stop now" lecture... ??) And honestly I don't want to stop using it immediately b/c it seriously relieves my morning sickness and makes me feel mentally calmer.... but like I said if I have to stop I will, that's not really the big issue here. My hubby is especially concerned now, that CPS is gonna try to "do something" to us, take away our other kids or something drastic. Honestly I have not felt this sick/stressed my entire pg'cy as I have today after finding out about this drug test! (I'm almost 12 wks along now). It would really help my mental state right now to hear some legit answers about this stuff (I've been randomly searching the internet and coming up w/ a bunch of stuff but nothing specific to my situation, and nothing that I feel I can count on as LEGIT/REAL answers)..... :mellow:

THANK YOU for reading, and thanks again in advance for any answers, advice, experiences you may have with this situation.

Edited by sarahlv

Guest thequietone

I believe section 4a covers what you are asking about, but CPS has messed with people before for having a card.

Sec. 4. (a) A qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for the medical use of marihuana in accordance with this act, provided that the qualifying patient possesses an amount of marihuana that does not exceed 2.5 ounces of usable marihuana, and, if the qualifying patient has not specified that a primary caregiver will be allowed under state law to cultivate marihuana for the qualifying patient, 12 marihuana plants kept in an enclosed, locked facility. Any incidental amount of seeds, stalks, and unusable roots shall also be allowed under state law and shall not be included in this amount.

Now as far as I know there is no law that says you can't use while pregnant. I am sure they will talk to you about it and try to convince you to give it up while pregnant. I am not sure what Medicaid will have to say about it.

I'm very interested in this, as I know it will be affecting many women (and their men). Are there any studies or any research that would indicate negative effects from smoking while pregnant? Please keep us posted on what happens and I hope to hear from a lawyer because I'm sure I'll be hearing this question pretty soon.

WLPatient

From my reading, the OP is not asking about cannabis effect on the fetus, but its effects on her, in the eyes of the law. At one time, the state wanted to require drug testing on all people who were collecting state funds (not politicians) , this was ruled unconstitutional. With reasons, a doctor might order testing during the pregnancy.

I hear that all newborns are tested. If drugs are found in the baby’s system, it would be noted, and properly reported. I would suggest you speak with the doctor that signed your paperwork. Keep in mind that that doctor could then rescind your paperwork.

There are studies that show no ill effects from the mother's use of cannabis, and stating + effects, but it is not these studies that will arrest you. I think that what you need to look at are MARIJUANA laws, not MARIHUANA laws.

i have knowen ladys that smoked all the way though and there kids were fine. but in this day and age they do test now me i would say just stop usen meds untell after it is better to be safe then sorry. then haven the kids you love most taken away from a bunch of rednecks. you have a great day and every one that reads my post have a great day

Guest Mr Pepper

I have a friend who is on medicaid, a cardholder, and pregnant. She was told quit using cannabis or lose the aid.

:notfair:

Hello, This is my 1st post at this site, and I'm really hoping that someone has some good answers for me regarding my situation. Thanks in advance to anyone/everyone who can offer anything....

I am wondering what the laws are regarding the use of marijuana while pregnant and on medicaid.

I have had my medical marijuana card since last Oct, and have just recently (May) found out I am pregnant. This is my 3rd child, but the 1st time I've had Medicaid while pregnant, and apparently (found out today) they order drug tests for pregnant women. I had not mentioned the medical MJ to my OBGYN, as I know it's really controversial in general (the whole Med MJ card regardless of being PG or not) and I honestly didn't want them to judge me or look down on me in any way over my use of MJ. So even though I'm a "legal smoker" I figured I wouldn't get into it b/c I didn't want any issues.....

Well now that I know I will be being drug tested, I have notified my OB's office about my medical card (have not talked to them about it yet though) since they will obviously find out anyhow when the test results come back. I figure it's better they know in advance (of the results coming in) that it is/was a prescription and not "recreational use".

I am concerned about "getting in trouble" for having used marijuana while pregnant. I am not sure what the laws are, what my rights are as a medical marijuana patient.... IF using it while pregnant is legal or allowed in any circumstances? If not "legal/allowed" what are they gonna do to me/my baby/my family (other kids) when they find out about my usage? Will I be forced to stop using it during the remainder of the pg'cy? (if so, and if that's the worst that happens then I'll be relieved and "no biggie" but wondering if there is going to be more to it than just a "you should stop now" lecture... ??) And honestly I don't want to stop using it immediately b/c it seriously relieves my morning sickness and makes me feel mentally calmer.... but like I said if I have to stop I will, that's not really the big issue here. My hubby is especially concerned now, that CPS is gonna try to "do something" to us, take away our other kids or something drastic. Honestly I have not felt this sick/stressed my entire pg'cy as I have today after finding out about this drug test! (I'm almost 12 wks along now). It would really help my mental state right now to hear some legit answers about this stuff (I've been randomly searching the internet and coming up w/ a bunch of stuff but nothing specific to my situation, and nothing that I feel I can count on as LEGIT/REAL answers)..... :mellow:

THANK YOU for reading, and thanks again in advance for any answers, advice, experiences you may have with this situation.

They do not drug test all babies, not even all babies who are receiving federal/state assistance. Most of the time it is purely a judgement call on the doctors part to involve CPS, or a result of a policy at the specific receiving hospital. I know Huron Valley Sinai in Commerce does not drug test the babies unless there is a very good reason to. I know personally of instances where mothers receiving assistance had marijuana in their system, were drug tested at the OBGYN, and nothing came of it, on the other hand, I know of instances, same situation, where the mother thought everything was OK, they had their baby, CPS came in and tested the baby, and took they child away. In this case however, there was no father present to claim custody and it involved opiate addition. What they do is test the babies first poop.. the meconium, which will only go as far back as 16-20 weeks pregnant, any drug use before that most likely will not show up. They can test the meconium without consent.

Thank you SO much for your responses.

As I said, I am about 12 wks along so if the marihuana will be out the baby's system (by birth) if I stop medicating by 16 weeks, then I know I can handle that. If the doctors & or Medicaid tell me I have to stop I will. I know a LOT of ppl who have used marihuana while pg and the children are all healthy, and none of them "got in trouble" for it w/ CPS (though I am not sure if any were on state aid, which I believe is the big difference here with my situation). So personally I am not worried about hurting the baby by medicating (I am aware smoke isn't the best way to do that right now), I don't want that to sound selfish, I just really deep down don't believe that pot hurts. My main concern is that CPS won't get involoved in our family's life and try to do anything drastic.

I know it is medicaid requiring the tests, not the obgyn/hospital, bc my friend just went to the same OBGYN office (with "real insurance") and was not tested through her entire pg'cy, even after baby was born (and she used MJ w/out a card til about 5-6 mo's of pg'cy - so I know she would have "got caught" if they had tested w/out her knowing). I called the hospital (anonymously) back when she was about to have her baby (a couple mo's ago) and they told me that they ONLY drug test at birth if the doc's office orders it. (so apparently my doc's office will be ordering it b/c I'm on medicaid).

I will definitely keep you guys updated on what happens from here w/ my situation. Thanks for being so helpful even though you don't even know me (yet).

If I was you I would goto a friendly obgyn or just be open and honest with your's family obgyn. Now I know that in your first three months it helps with the want to throw up. Now I don't recommond using it in the second three month for htat is when the brain start to form. and in the last three months I have know Idea what could happen, but I dond't think a once a day useage will hurt anything during any time,but Again I would ask your obgyn for the right answers.

question I would ask is.

1. Are they in favor of the medical marijuana act or not?

2. If they are in favor you should then to find out what the most they would recomond using?

these are a few that I would ask, what do the other think you should ask.

I am not an OB, I won't speak with authority about the fetal effects of the vast majority of meds (tetracycline and cipro are notable exceptions). It is a good rule of thumb to only take the minimal amount of medication during pregnancy though. MMJ is a quality of life med, not a life saving med. I would recommend holding off or reducing significantly the use of MMJ during pregnancy.

There are other concerns as well, if anything goes wrong, it will be blamed on the mmj, and they just had a doc out west lose his license for giving a cert to a pregnant woman. I do not certify pregnant women. I recommend women stop using mmj if they find themselves pregnant. I do recommend tylenol for pain control during pregnancy. I am extremely conservative when venturing into unknown territory.

Don't know what that is worth, but those are my thoughts.

Dr. Bob

Hello,

Alcohol use during a pregnancy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_alcohol_syndrome

Cocaine use during a pregnancy

http://www.marchofdimes.com/Pregnancy/alcohol_illicitdrug.html

Medical Marijuana use during a pregnancy

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-smoke-marijuana-during-pregnancy_2490.bc

I'll try not to be a hard azz, but common sense says not to do those things above when a baby is involved. If you want more information all you have to do is google it, there is loads there.

Skipper

Since your only using for minor issues I would stop. I have read studies and seen the videos that say there are not bad effects and there probably aren't. It seems kinda selfish to risk it because your stomach gets upset. Remember the fetus feels most of what you feel when you take anything. Again good chance nothing bad will happen but why risk it.

medicating while pregnant is very wreck-less for your child...have you ever noticed how many warnings there are for everything while you are pregnant? if getting in trouble is the worry you have then your priorities are not in line..during pregnancy is a very delicate time for your newborn to risk anything is really up to the parent..if your child has birth defects and there life is ruined are you ok with that? i know me and m wife when she was pregnant stopped everything including cigarettes even with her degenerated disks in her back and restless leg syndrome she slept briefly each night and was miserable for 9 months but we ended up with a healthy fantastic child...and wouldnt change anything

Since your only using for minor issues I would stop. I have read studies and seen the videos that say there are not bad effects and there probably aren't. It seems kinda selfish to risk it because your stomach gets upset. Remember the fetus feels most of what you feel when you take anything. Again good chance nothing bad will happen but why risk it.

There is an over the counter medication called emetrol that is wonderful for nausea. And safe in pregnancy (it is basically a flat coke if you remember the scene from Doc Hollywood). Tums is also used in pregnancy, so stick with what is safe and talk to your ob. Don't add an unknown to the equation while pregnant or nursing. No reason to do so.

Dr. Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Obviously there is disagreement on weather it is safe or not (which wasn't my question).... and when you google for info on it you get a lot of different opinions and info. I'm not trying to debate it ;-)

Just an update on my situation, in case anyone was wondering how it went.....

When I saw my OBGYN for the 1st time, we discussed it and he did not tell me that I have to stop using it. He told me that there are a lot of unknowns and basically it is like any other medication that I would have a prescription for, that it's up to me to continue or stop the medication. He said I shouldn't have any problems w/ the state (CPS) due to MJ being in mine or the baby's system, b/c I have the prescription for it. He also said he's had patients in the past that used medical MJ, and he hasn't seen any problems b/c of it (its nice to know that I am not the only one out there).

Wow what puritans we have here!

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1404.html

Google Melanie Dreher and read her "real" research among "real" Marijuana users. I have known personally six women who smoked right through until term.

One of them was a highly paid, highly sought after surrogate mother. Who carried 9 children to term, without so much as a low-birth weight. Much less any defects. Three of her children are doctors and they all were successful in school.

To answer your question. My grandson will be 10 months soon. His mother quit when she discovered her pregnancy. Only to start back up 4 weeks later, because NOTHING that her doctors gave her helped with morning (all day) sickness. She is/was on aid. No drug test, baby or otherwise.

The biggest scare to using marijuana during pregnancy (IMHO) is the psychological effect. If , god forbid, a defect were, god forbid, to happen. You would forever question the use.

Bout a year or so ago , i was asked this same question, well actually is it safe to use while being prego? I search and searched..In India and one other place(dont remember) both ahd did studies..showed women who smoked had healthery babies, Moms went thrugh prego easyer..