Seems the discovery channel is taking the expose they did on medical cannabis a few yrs ago, to the next level.

they are starting a series called Weed Wars. Premiere is Dec 1st, at 10pm on the Discovery Channel.

I was impressed witt the way Disc has been going about reporting on cannabis, sticking pretty close to the facts, and presenting the information in a fairly neutral manor.

should be some good TV. finailly.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am really really excited about this one...

‘Weed Wars’ TV Show Explores the Fascinating World of Medical Cannabis This December on the Discovery Channel

In an effort to educate the public, the new weekly show brings the medical marijuana industry to a national audience. The show focuses on Harborside Health Center, the largest medical marijuana dispensary in the nation, which serves their patient community with the highest standards of professionalism and provides patients safe and secure access to their medicine.

spacer.gif gI_62398_weed%20wars.JPG ‘Weed Wars’ is coming to the Discovery Channel Thursday nights this December.

release-topquote.gifI agreed to take the risk because I believe the American people will support us once they see how we handle the medicine and care for our patients.release-bottomquote.gif San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) November 13, 2011

As the federal attack on the medical cannabis industry in California continues at an accelerated pace, television audiences with be able to watch part of the drama unfold on the Discovery Channel’s new weekly series, “Weed Wars.” This is the first reality program to give viewers an up-close-and-personal look at the controversial medicinal cannabis industry. It premieres in its 10 pm Thursday night spot on December 1, 2011.

“Weed Wars” focuses on Oakland’s Harborside Health Center—the nation’s largest medicinal cannabis dispensary, serving over 94,000 patients—and the leadership behind Harborside—activist, founder and Executive Director Steve DeAngelo. DeAngelo’s lifelong mission has been to bring the truth about the cannabis plant to the American public.

DeAngelo launched Harborside five years ago with the goal of establishing industry best practices for medical cannabis distribution. The Oakland medical cannabis club’s model has subsequently become the gold standard for medical cannabis dispensaries in the country.

DeAngelo is going out on a limb to educate the public. As the show was preparing for its debut, multiple federal agencies took increased action in an attempt to shut down the regulated cannabis industry in California.

“I always knew doing the show was risky, and the federal crackdown makes it ever riskier,” said DeAngelo. “I agreed to take the risk because I believe the American people will support us once they see how we handle the medicine and care for our patients.”

The series takes viewers on an up-close-and-personal exploration of the hot-button issue of medical cannabis, following the DeAngelo family (brother Andrew DeAngelo, fiancé Yoli Felix and others) and Harborside’s staff as they fearlessly wrestle with the complex issues they face every day. The series accurately captures the real life drama and high stakes of the business as federal agencies make increasingly harsher threats and IRS audits attempt to shut down the Oakland cannabis club.

At first blush, “Weed Wars” is a familiar story: a start-up business with demanding clients and the ever-looming possibility that it could all go belly up. But this is not your typical business. When California voters passed the Compassionate Use Act in 1996, medicinal cannabis was legalized within the state. This ignited a national firestorm and opened new doors for a whole new kind of entrepreneur.

In addition to focusing on Steve DeAngelo, his family and the staff, “Weed Wars” follows the journey of the plant itself from seed germination to harvesting. Audiences will meet the growers and “patient farmers” whose job it is to provide the “medicine” that will be eventually purchased and used by thousands of clients, many of whom feel their lives have been forever changed by the plant.

About Harborside Health Center:

Founded by national cannabis leader Steve DeAngelo in 2005, Harborside Health Center is the nation’s largest not-for-profit model medical cannabis dispensary. The Oakland medicinal cannabis collective offers its 94,000 registered patients free holistic health services, lab-tested medicine and education.

http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/discovery-breaks-new-ground-with-weed-wars.html

When you hear the term “medical cannabis” your mind may conjure up a few familiar images but it’s highly doubtful that taxes, legislation and health care are among them. But tune in to Weed Wars Thursday, December 1 at 10PM E/P on Discovery and explore issues of the medicinal cannabis business that few ever consider. Weed Wars isn’t about opinions or issues– this is the first time a weekly series takes an up close and personal look at the reality of running a controversial medicinal cannabis business. Weed Wars will take you to Oakland’s Harborside Health Center, the nation’s largest medicinal cannabis dispensary serving over 94,000 patients. Harborside’s founder and executive director Steve DeAngelo has the mission of providing the best possible product to his diverse client base of patients while using his business to educate the rest of the country about the full regulation and taxation of medicinal cannabis. When California voters passed the Compassionate Use Act of 1996 legalizing medicinal cannabis, it ignited a national firestorm while providing an opening for a whole new kind of health care business.

Weed Wars is a unique inside look at the medical cannabis issue. You’ll get a rare view of the business and its challenges from the perspective of both distributors and the patients they serve. You’ll meet folks who have switched careers in mid-life to take advantage of this swing in holistic medicine. Weed Wars pulls back the curtain for the first time on the day-to-day workings of a world that few viewers have ever seen.

Weed Wars Premieres Thursday, December 1 at 10PM E/P

This could be very good for all of us...

Yeah, the guy with pigtails and the pimp hat just screams medical.. lol We'll be watching either way, who knows how the series will portray cannabis I can't imagine it will be very medical, but hopefully they include enough to create some awareness.

Yeah, the guy with pigtails and the pimp hat just screams medical.. lol We'll be watching either way, who knows how the series will portray cannabis I can't imagine it will be very medical, but hopefully they include enough to create some awareness.

thats what i mean, i hope it brings this issue to the front of everyones mind. And opens some eyes that might just believe the old anti b.s.

• 2 weeks later...

That was pretty good. I was worried they might make us look stupid, or like criminals. I have to say, I like those guys. My DVR is set to record all of it!

Anyone else feel the plight of that "newbie grower"? In the end I thought to myself "Hey man, if this is not what you want to do then stop! If you are not enjoying it that is why your plants suffer so." You gotta love your plants! I imagine that his uncertainty stems from the harsh criticism and lack of support from his mother.

Archived