Long Term Storage

glass jars in a cool dark place, I've kept some stuff for a year this way (of course, this is after drying for two weeks, burping them in jars for 2 weeks. then the curing process starts which I let go as long as a year, which produced some absolutely delicious smoke). vacuum sealing would crush the buds and trichs, I do not believe the buds will cure in the freezer.

Some years ago I had a wonderful harvest from some outdoor Afgooie and Humbolt Snow, getting about an lb. from each. I have never sold my personals, so I had to find a way to store for the long term. What I did, after the initial cure, was to put it into food storage bags, vacuum sealed them (but didn't remove all of the air before sealing) and put them in the freezer. It took my wife and I nearly two years to use that amount, but the last bag was as fresh and tasty as the first. They were stored in a box that had formerly contained frozen food stuff, that helped to keep them from getting bounced around while in the freezer, kept the light off them too. It worked great. Peace...j.b.

• 1 month later...

I never realized that dried meds could be vacuum sealed in Mason jars until I saw this forum topic. Doing a quick YouTube search, I found a video that explains the machine, the attachment, and the process at:

Food saver = Med saver this works for going on 2 years now... Still great chit....

1. make sure the product is dry. Make sure you are done burping the product. At the dried and cured stage, it can be stored like any other herb. Potency will decline, slowly. It will eventually get so dry that it will crumble to powder.

2. I worked in a lab, we had various marijuana that was seized. The oldest package was about 10 years old, it was VERY dry that it crumbled to dust - so it was useless for a bowl. It lost potency, and taste. The smell was from the container it was stored in. Any dried herbs will degrade - oregano, thyme, or mint - all will lose taste, smell, and potency. Any wet material, will turn moldy and fungus, it will smell like it.

3. Army ammo cans. A .50 caliber ammo can will hold 3 regular wide mouth mason jars. A 105MM ammo can, probably almost 9 or 10 mason jars. These cans were meant to store ammunition for years, under the worst conditions. Some rocket ammo cans are plastic. these are usually $15 to $25 a can at gun and knife shows. Store the meds in the glass jars, not in the cans.

4. Extract and Reduce. Really, if you are stuck with large amounts of medicine, extract or reduce the material down to primo stuff like hash, oils, and medibles. You want to enjoy marijuana when it is fresh and potent. If you have so much, you might as well sift, or extract the trichromes off the plant material to collect the potent trichromes. The plant material is the heaviest part of the medicine.

5. Freezing is a bad idea. Frost damages the surface of the product, exactly where the trichromes are. Refrigeration is also bad, humidity is up and down, again - it harms the surface of the plant material. It does not matter if the material is dried or not.

Again, you really want to enjoy marijuana fresh. The older it gets, it will be degraded no matter what you do to store it.

DN

The stability of cannabis and its preparations on storage

Fairbairn JW, Liebmann JA, Rowan MG

J Pharm Pharmacol 1976 Jan;28(1):1-7

Abstract:

Solutions of pure cannabinoids, nine samples of herbal and two of resin cannabis (one freshly prepared) were stored in varying conditions for up to 2 years. Exposure to light (not direct sunlight) was shown to be the greatest single factor in loss of cannabinoids especially in solutions, which should therefore be protected from light during analytical and phytochemical operations. Previous claims that solutions in ethanol were stable have not been substantiated. The effect of temperature, up to 20 degrees, was insignificant but air oxidation did lead to significant losses. These could be reduced if care was taken to minimize damage to the glands which act as "well filled, well closed containers". Loss of tetrahydrocannabinol after exposure to light does not lead to an increase in cannabinol, but air oxidation in the dark does. It is concluded that carefully prepared herbal or resin cannabis or extracts are reasonably stable for 1 to 2 years if stored in the dark at room temperature.

Stability of cannabinoids in dried samples of cannabis dating from around 1896-1905

Harvey DJ J Ethnopharmacol 1990 Feb;28(1):117-28

Abstract:

Cannabinoids from three samples of cannabis obtained from the Pitt-Rivers Museum, Oxford, and dating from the turn of the century were examined by gas chromatography and mass spectometry for the presence of cannabinoids. Although the samples were from different geographical locations, the profiles of constituent cannabinoids were similar. In common with other aged material, most of the cannabinoid content was present as cannabinol (CBN), the main chemical degradation product of the major psychoactive constituent, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-9-THC). However, a substantial concentration of CBN acid-A was also present; this compound is unstable to heat and readily undergoes decarboxylation to CBN. Methyl and propyl homologues of CBN, together with delta-9-THC and its naturally occurring acid-A were also found at low concentrations in all samples. Intermediates in the formation of CBN from delta-9-THC, previously identified in aged solutions of the drug, were absent or present in only trace concentrations. However, oxidation products involving hydroxylation at the benzylic positions, C-11 and C-1', not seen in solution, were identified in substantial abundance. The results suggest that decomposition of cannabis samples may proceed more slowly than originally thought.

Degradation of Cannabis and THC: Storage Methods and Mold

• 1 year later...

One thing I've noticed is that many of these storage methods don't keep marijuana from drying. There's nothing worse than spending $35 to $50 on a nice eighth only to have it dry and crumbly by the time you use it. It looks like there are some options that are available to keep your bud fluffy when it's time to use it, but many don't account for all of the factors (dark, no air flow, low temp). After looking into this, I found that the optimal relative humidity range is between 62% to 65%. This means you can't just use a tobacco humidor since those are built with humidifiers that produce 70% to 72% relative humidity. Plus, tobacco humidors use Spanish cedar which imparts oils, something I don't want on my bud.

Although humidity is a factor, you don't want the RH to go over 65% because you will run the risk of getting mold or bacteria. A company called Boveda produces these packs that keep the RH at a perfect 62%, but these last about a month before drying. I found these two-way humidity beads by a company called Cigar Sciences that produce 65% relative humidity and it's designed not to go over this ratio. All you need to do is add a tablespoon of water every other week or so, which is cheaper than buying packs all the time. This will keep marijuana fresh for weeks, so it's nice and fluffy when you use it.

• 4 years later...
On 11/12/2011 at 2:31 AM, plcultivator said:

What is the best way to store meds long term(6 mos or longer)...I thought about vacumm sealing and freezing but I know if handled alot you will be breaking trichomes off....any help would be greatly appreciated...TIA

Hi @plcultivator, Here is the tips about storing medicine properly to keep it from getting damaged.

Take care of your medicine.

• Know that heat, air, light, and moisture may damage your medicine.
  • Store your medicines in a cool, dry place. For example, store it in your dresser drawer or a kitchen cabinet away from the stove, sink, and any hot appliances. You can also store medicine in a storage box, on a shelf, in a closet.
  • If you are like most people, you probably store your medicine in a bathroom cabinet. But the heat and moisture from your shower, bath, and sink may damage your medicine. Your medicines can become less potent, or they may go bad before the expiration date.
  • Pills and capsules are easily damaged by heat and moisture. Aspirin pills break down into vinegar and salicylic acid. This irritates the stomach.

Also if you need to store cannabis in future you could refer this video below link. I found when I was searching for how to store cannabis.

How to Store Cannabis Properly and Make it Last for Years