Would You Vote To Legalize Marijuana?

maxmax

There's a group trying to gather signatures to get the legalization of marijuana on the ballot. FOX 2's Charlie Langton asked metro Detroiters whether they would vote in favor of legalizing marijuana.

One person said yes, but another commented, "Drugs are wrong. Just say no."

"They're still going to use it one way or the other," a woman told him, while another remarked, "What is America coming to?"

Click on the video player above to watch this week's "Let It Rip on the Road" segment to hear what others had to say. Plus, feel free to post your comments below.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/would-you-vote-to-legalize-marijuana-20111229-ms

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Legalization would be great, if it were done in a realistic way. I have seen proposals that would be so limiting as to the amount that could be grown....just another way to prosecute those who decide to grow. Other proposals that I have read are just unrealistic and would never pass. The important thing to consider is if it will endanger those patients who need medical marijuana if it does not pass. I cannot say how I would vote without knowing exactly what the new law would be, but if it were something that could possibly set us back from what we have now, I would have nothing to do with it. I am certainly for legalization, but we certainly need to be aware of the consequences of a failed attempt.

yes, but i try to always put my 1 cent in with my vote.

and I agree Kevin. It is Called Cannabis. Marih(j)uana was uncooth slang term used by anslinger and whats his name to demonize anyone NOT WHITE (caucasion). Its origin is Hispanic and Marijuana means Miracle Plant, but after Anslinger and the FBI puke that was a cross dressing homosexual in the 30s, that had to find a term they could call Hemp, or cannabis, that congress wouldnt understand what it was they were actually out lawing.

Had Congress Known Marihuana was Hemp/Cannabis, they would of NEVER did what they did back then. Hemp/Cannabis was a HUGE resource here in the States Prior to the big push to save the white man/woman from the downward spiral of the lesser human, the NON White.

and for the record, im a 45yr old white guy.

RepealToday.com

Sign up to be a volunteer to gather signatures. We need to collect 325,000 before July 9 I believe, to put a Constitutional Amendment on next Novembers ballot. It reads as follows:

A Petition to amend the Michigan Constitution Article 1, to add:

Article 1 Section 28. Repeal of Marihuana Prohibition.

For persons at least 21 years of age who are not incarcerated, marihuana cultivation, possession, bodily internal possession, sale, acquisition, transfer, delivery, transportation, religious, medical or personal use, or possession or use of paraphernalia shall not be prohibited, abridged, or penalized in any manner; nor subject to civil forfeiture; provided that no person shall be allowed to operate a motor vehicle while impaired by any substance.

A report on AnnArbor.com

http://annarbor.com/news/statewide-campaign-to-legalize-marijuana-in-michigan-kicking-off-in-ann-arbor/

RepealToday.com

Sign up to be a volunteer to gather signatures. We need to collect 325,000 before July 9 I believe, to put a Constitutional Amendment on next Novembers ballot. It reads as follows:

A Petition to amend the Michigan Constitution Article 1, to add:

Article 1 Section 28. Repeal of Marihuana Prohibition.

For persons at least 21 years of age who are not incarcerated, marihuana cultivation, possession, bodily internal possession, sale, acquisition, transfer, delivery, transportation, religious, medical or personal use, or possession or use of paraphernalia shall not be prohibited, abridged, or penalized in any manner; nor subject to civil forfeiture; provided that no person shall be allowed to operate a motor vehicle while impaired by any substance.

A report on AnnArbor.com

http://annarbor.com/news/statewide-campaign-to-legalize-marijuana-in-michigan-kicking-off-in-ann-arbor/

I sure hope there is alot more to this proposed amendment than what is stated above.

It does not take much to see why that alone can't and won't pass, and if it did the huge problems that would come with it.

Like they might be confused? That kind of problem?

No, that is not what I am referring to. The problem that would arise would be people seeing dollar signs. To just drop any restrictions on producing Marijuana in our state would quickly put us on the Sh*t list of every neighboring state (and country) that has not decriminalized Cannabis. (all of them)

Michigan would quickly become a surrogate Mexico, illegally providing the other prohibitionist states with large amounts illicit herbs. This would tinkle the governments of these states off big time, and complaints would be filed with the federal government. Our state would probably lose any federal aid that we now receive. The feds would swarm our state to enforce federal law and probably enlist the help of the military to do so. There would have to be some kind of control in place to prevent people from coming here, or who are already here from large scale production with the intent of making huge profits selling in other states. Unless Canada and every other state enacted similar legislation, it would just not work. Nice to think it might, but reality says greed trumps common sense. I am 100% for legalization, but it has to be in a way that keeps people out of prison, does not endanger those medical patients who need it to survive with any quality of life, and does not promote black market enterprise. So what I meant by saying I hoped there was more to the proposal, is something to prevent the above mentioned scenario from developing. Don't count on peoples good nature, selflessness and compassion to regulate a hugely profitable black market industry.

or the feds just back down, like with alcohol

No, that is not what I am referring to. The problem that would arise would be people seeing dollar signs. To just drop any restrictions on producing Marijuana in our state would quickly put us on the Sh*t list of every neighboring state (and country) that has not decriminalized Cannabis. (all of them)

Michigan would quickly become a surrogate Mexico, illegally providing the other prohibitionist states with large amounts illicit herbs. This would tinkle the governments of these states off big time, and complaints would be filed with the federal government. Our state would probably lose any federal aid that we now receive. The feds would swarm our state to enforce federal law and probably enlist the help of the military to do so. There would have to be some kind of control in place to prevent people from coming here, or who are already here from large scale production with the intent of making huge profits selling in other states. Unless Canada and every other state enacted similar legislation, it would just not work. Nice to think it might, but reality says greed trumps common sense. I am 100% for legalization, but it has to be in a way that keeps people out of prison, does not endanger those medical patients who need it to survive with any quality of life, and does not promote black market enterprise. So what I meant by saying I hoped there was more to the proposal, is something to prevent the above mentioned scenario from developing. Don't count on peoples good nature, selflessness and compassion to regulate a hugely profitable black market industry.

It could get worse than that. It could actually become socially acceptable. Phillip Morris and RJ Reynolds will grow it with Monsanto seeds and Walgreen and CVS will sell joints by the pack for $5. It would become pointless to grow your own but there will be a hydro aisle at walmart for those that want to. Goodbye to our little cottage industry.

Sucks for the guys that dumped their retirement money into hydro stores and dispensaries and big grows, but at least innocent people won't be going to jail anymore. I say let's let it fly. We'll find something else to do.

Just like everyone declared war on California? It hasn't happened before. What would make Michigan different?

This has not been the first time that Mich has tired to get it on the ballot lots of times we need over 300,000 people to sign and when they/we tried to recall B.S we got only 8,000 people to sign

so we will all see soon IMO even if we get the people they wont let it on the ballot

All that didn't stop us in 2008.

We can get a law passed. We did it before and we can do it again.

The key is to get the people to work the petition drive.

Just like everyone declared war on California? It hasn't happened before. What would make Michigan different?

As far as I know, California has not legalized growing & possessing unlimited amounts of marijuana, nor has any other state. If the proposal was worded properly and rationally I think it would pass, but giving carte blanche to potential black marketeers would never fly. The part of the government that resembles bill schuette would have too much ammunition to fight any attempt such as this. There would be much more support for a realistic change to our laws, the average person will not put much effort or support into a campaign that is doomed to fail.

I would vote for it in a 'heart beat'.

There is no reason of any sort that a law legalizing cannabis could not exist and survive right along with our current MMM Act... NONE whatsoever!

And if cannabis were lagalized I would have no problem accepting a reasonable limit on 'self grow' amounts.

As far as I know, California has not legalized growing & possessing unlimited amounts of marijuana, nor has any other state. If the proposal was worded properly and rationally I think it would pass, but giving carte blanche to potential black marketeers would never fly. The part of the government that resembles bill schuette would have too much ammunition to fight any attempt such as this. There would be much more support for a realistic change to our laws, the average person will not put much effort or support into a campaign that is doomed to fail.

The "proposal" will not be re worded. It is done.

So debating exactly what might be in the proposal is a wasted effort now.

As for support .. You will be surprised.

This IS going to be on the ballot.

The "proposal" will not be re worded. It is done.

So debating exactly what might be in the proposal is a wasted effort now.

As for support .. You will be surprised.

This IS going to be on the ballot.

Then sadly, the entire endeavor is going to be a wasted effort. It probably stands a reasonable chance of getting on the ballot but it has no chance of passing unless a few million voters happen to be sick on election day. What it will do is discourage the community from trying again with a realistic amendment. Beware of buyers remorse, because that is exactly what it's going to be. People want something so bad that they take whatever is offered because it resembles what they want. Only later do they realize that it is not even functional to the purpose intended.

Archived