Plan Would Change Criteria For Michigan Recalls

maxmax

LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Republican leaders in the Michigan Senate are proposing a constitutional amendment to limit the reasons for recalling an elected public official from office.

The measure introduced Thursday would limit a recall to reasons such as certain criminal convictions, misconduct or misuse of public resources. An elected official could not be recalled for the "discretionary performance of a lawful act or of a prescribed duty."

The proposal comes less than a month after voters in Genesee County recalled state Republican state Rep. Paul Scott from office for his education policy and budget votes.

Many other state lawmakers face possible recall efforts in 2012.

A constitutional amendment would have to be approved by a two-thirds vote in the House and Senate before going to Michigan voters for final approval.

http://www.hometownstations.com/story/16473384/plan-would-change-criteria-fo

Why shouldn't you be able to recall someone for policy? If I tell everyone I want to make it a law to give out free puppies to every teenager, and get elected on that, then once in office I make it illegal for a teenager to have a puppy, according to this I would be free and clear, even though I obviously am not representing the people that elected me on my free puppy campaign.

Total BS, just like the redistricting.

Why shouldn't you be able to recall someone for policy? If I tell everyone I want to make it a law to give out free puppies to every teenager, and get elected on that, then once in office I make it illegal for a teenager to have a puppy, according to this I would be free and clear, even though I obviously am not representing the people that elected me on my free puppy campaign.

Total BS, just like the redistricting.

yup

this is how they will be able to save their jobs

If they are so sure that they are doing what the people want they would not be afraid to face a recall. I think we need to make it easier to recall them.

Remember that politicians and diapers are alike in that they need to be changed frequently and for the same reason.

When i see them on T.V talking it looks like some of them are older them my grandfather and he is dead

Archived