Dry Ice Extraction

dryicehash.jpg

I recently did a Dry Ice Extraction from buds with seeds. I knew that we could not process the seeded buds in Ice Water Extraction - as the seeds can leach taste in to the mix as the paint mixer breaks up the material in the ice water. Butane - you still have to clean out the seeds and stems. With Dry Ice, the sharp edges of the dry ice will pulverize the bud material - leaving the seeds intact, along with small stems.

I have used 45 micro and above is 73 micron bags. Coffee can, dry ice broken into 'gravel sized pieces'. You just sissor the buds to medium to small peices - you DO NOT grind the mix - even if you did not have seeds - you want to avoid plant material from being small enough to pass through the screen. The above results are from 8 runs, at 10 - 15 minutes shaking, cooling, etc. each run.

The Dry Ice method requires some elbow grease, you will shake that can on and off for several minutes at a time, for about 15 minutes or so. You can add more bud/trim to the mix and do this over. But after two runs, the dry ice has rounded off its edges, the plant material is now 'dust' and powder. just like making Ice water hash - the first part of the run is the prime trichromes. the longer you go, the more small plant material that might filter. With practice, you will know when to stop.

Dry Ice - Meijer's - 1 lb - $12.

-

the surface- you need a VERY large CLEAN surface like a mirror. I used a 3 foot by 4 foot mirror - and I still had 'hash dust' go all over! Use a very sharp and clean Plastic card to collect the keif off the mirror. Use another plastic card to remove the keif from the plastic card, avoid touching with fingers - as the trichromes will melt with body temp heat.

Collect in the glass jars above, and compress it as much as you can. It becomes chunk like. You can roll in foil and keep mashing it, body temp and compressing it to make bricks of hash. Ice is inert - it has no residue like Butane or ISO. Dry Ice is - dry - so you have no risk of mold. Dry Ice also allows the smell of the strain to transfer than Ice water method. You can use the same bag you use for Bubblebag or Ice water - except - the 1 gallon sized bags are best because you can hold the coffee can easier. You do not want to do this with a 5 gallon bucket shaking over a mirror.

You can process trim or buds with this - again - do not pulverize or grind prior - just replace the dry ice chunks often to keep sharp edges on them.

Do not process the leftovers with BHO - tried it - the material is too fine and will pass through most BHO filters to make your BHO, green ugh.

Hey DM, Ive been doing this with trim for almost a year now. I actully like it better then the ice

extraction. I put it in a keef press and make gram size blocks and divided between myself and my patients equally. I purchased a bowl that fits the chunck almost perfect, like they were made for each other! Lol. Any how I highly recommend this. It's easier and way less time consuming as ice water extraction as well. Just thought I'd throw out my two cents. Peace SS

There are several things to do with Keif when done. Some say - add a few drops of water and wrap it - place it in your shoe and walk around. Some use a hand held press thazt screws down to brick it. You can use a rolling pin, hammer, etc to flatten it. You crush a few trichromes so it makes the powder stick together, easier to handle. Tan color can turn dark brown as the skin oxidizes.

Stewed - what micron screen do you use?

Well after a few days of testing I was not 100% satisfied with the dry ice keif - this is a freeze drying method and I feel like something is left out.

So, I made up BHO in the same traditional method - stainless steel tubes, dried buds and trim (same strain) 5x butane.

After the extraction left liquid state (took a long time - cold outside) and went into oil state (popping bubbles and they stay down) I added the keif.

bho_bubbles.jpg

This mix of oily and dry powder ended up being clumps and small nuggets. I still did a hot water treatment of the jar to continue gassing off the BHO.

Testing smaller samples than what I used to smoke of the keif was very powerful meds. I did prefer BHO, but it can be messy to work with. With the keif, it makes it easier to handle.

Introducing Zombie Apocalypse (25% THC) keif and BHO "Super Hash" (on right)

super_hash.jpg

yes the powdered form of keif can freeze into a ice block and blow your top or screen out.

I added the keif after the oil was made - sort of like cake mixture - the powdered keif picked up the oil quickly. I will try the keif in the BHO run next time. I wanted to convert the oil/goo into a solid as it is easier to handle.

• 1 month later...

what would be the best micron to use I have a 190 micron 160 micron and a 120 micron bag. I'm not to worried about separating each grade by size I would mix it all together any way. I jut want to get the most with the least amount of plant material I was thinking the 160 micron cause its in the middle of the 3 bags I have to use. what does every else think?

what would be the best micron to use I have a 190 micron 160 micron and a 120 micron bag. I'm not to worried about separating each grade by size I would mix it all together any way. I jut want to get the most with the least amount of plant material I was thinking the 160 micron cause its in the middle of the 3 bags I have to use. what does every else think?

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/621720 "Micron size can range anywhere from 70-240. In my experience it wasn't worth the time running it through anything below 120 microns. After several extractions we (my team of testers) found 160-220 to be ideal for making a good quantity of good quality hash."

What do you do with your starting material once you have finished all your runs?

I was thinking of using it to make canna butter or maybe even use it to make a cannabis extract (RSO). Have you smoked/vaped it or made a salve from it? If you have tried any of the above, I'd be interested in your results.

Edited by Herb Cannabis

What do you do with your starting material once you have finished all your runs?

I was thinking of using it to make canna butter or maybe even use it to make a cannabis extract (RSO). Have you smoked/vaped it or made a salve from it? If you have tried any of the above, I'd be interested in your results.

any processing from here would extract cbd and thc (although considerably less) from the plant material directly. You can use a fat (butter, oil) or alcohol (iso, glycerin) but the processing will require time from here on out. Personally i make butter and oil with the mats after dry ice, then when cooking i add some of the co2 extraction directly to the recipe in addition to the butter. best ive found is to dissolve the "hash" into the melted butter. generally about 1/3 to 1/2 gram of hash per serving in the recipe. a potent dose of cbd, with thc being adjustable for any recipe.

Is there anything to suggest that CBD exists in different ratios based on location in the plant?

Is there anything to suggest that CBD dissolves differently than THC?

My Dr gave me a printout saying to use the large fan leaves to make a flour and seeming to suggest that these would have lots of CBD. However, this could be interpreted to mean that these are used because they aren't good for anything else, not sure.