Please Don't Blow Yourself Up!

Copied and pasted from a post on Toke City.....HJ

Please Don't Imolate or Blow Yourself Up

Hi ya’ll! Have ya’ll been watching the folks blowing themselves and their homes up using butane extraction techniques, thus leading you to believe that such an attempt is suicidal?

Thank Gawd (Great Spirit) that paying attention to details reduces the odds to limits that you might embrace, after being thus enlightened. May we discuss, before you give up all BHO extraction attempts in deference to your family and home?

Clearly Butane is inflammable and can be explosive, if confined in a small space and supplied with about 1.86 to 8.41 percent butane to atmospheric air content and an ignition source.

In addition, ignition sources come from a number of different unexpected sources, so let’s discuss that issue.

For starters, I never personally do a butane extraction indoors or any confined space! None at all, zero, zip, forget about it! It is important to keep it below explosive limits!

I do it all outdoors, with a non sparking plastic fan blowing, not sucking, the butane evaporation away! Butane loves self abuse and will clump together and pool, being that it is heavier than air.

I use three fans to keep any free butane dispersed below ignition limits of 1.86% and from it pooling and accumulating in low spots like through my basement window to my basement, chock full of ignition sources.

The central point is that concentration of the butane boiling off can be kept diluted below combustion limits, by blowing the accumulating vapors away using a fan.

Secondly, let’s talk about stupid ignition sources. Despite previous discussions, I have literally grabbed the hands of cigarette smokers poised to light a cigarette while extracting.

What can I say about addicts whom go on automatic pilot and forget where they are? Leave your cigarettes and lighter elsewhere.

Lose the lighter and cigarettes (bong?) if you are an addict! Once the pin is pulled on a 5 second grenade, it is not your friend!

All pretty simple, but lets talk about subtleties! How about sparks?

Starting simple, dragging your feet on concrete with gravel imbedded in your shoes can create a spark.

Wearing plastic clothing, especially socks, can also build up and discharge a static electricity spark, especially on cold dry days.

Unless it is an explosion proof fan, always blow, instead of suck the vapors away, not only for efficiency reasons, but because the sparks from an electric motor slip ring can ignite the vapors.

Always use plastic or other spark proof blades, because a grain of sand can spark when hitting a steel blade, and be propelled into the concentrated vapors.

Always keep a fully charged and recently inspected fire extinguisher on hand. bunny muffin sometimes happens and less bunny muffin is better, as I see it!

Never had to use one at home, though I have in industry, and they can’t be beaten when they are called for!

If you get inadvertently sprayed with butane, stop, and go change clothes. Immolating as I sees it, is highly overrated!

Keep a blanket on hand, and if you do get unexpectedly ignited, immediately wrap yourself in it to extinguish the flames.

The good news is that none of the above has ever happened to me, or any of my friends who pay close attention and try their very best to avoid it.

Hi ya’ll! Have ya’ll been watching the folks blowing themselves and their homes up using butane extraction techniques, thus leading you to believe that such an attempt is suicidal?

Thank Gawd (Great Spirit) that paying attention to details reduces the odds to limits that you might embrace, after being thus enlightened. May we discuss, before you give up all BHO extraction attempts in deference to your family and home?

Clearly Butane is inflammable and can be explosive, if confined in a small space and supplied with about 1.86 to 8.41 percent butane to atmospheric air content and an ignition source.

In addition, ignition sources come from a number of different unexpected sources, so let’s discuss that issue.

For starters, I never personally do a butane extraction indoors or any confined space! None at all, zero, zip, forget about it! It is important to keep it below explosive limits!

I do it all outdoors, with a non sparking plastic fan blowing, not sucking, the butane evaporation away! Butane loves self abuse and will clump together and pool, being that it is heavier than air.

I use three fans to keep any free butane dispersed below ignition limits of 1.86% and from it pooling and accumulating in low spots like through my basement window to my basement, chock full of ignition sources.

The central point is that concentration of the butane boiling off can be kept diluted below combustion limits, by blowing the accumulating vapors away using a fan.

Secondly, let’s talk about stupid ignition sources. Despite previous discussions, I have literally grabbed the hands of cigarette smokers poised to light a cigarette while extracting.

What can I say about addicts whom go on automatic pilot and forget where they are? Leave your cigarettes and lighter elsewhere.

Lose the lighter and cigarettes (bong?) if you are an addict! Once the pin is pulled on a 5 second grenade, it is not your friend!

Starting simple, dragging your feet on concrete with gravel imbedded in your shoes can create a spark.

Wearing plastic clothing, especially socks, can also build up and discharge a static electricity spark, especially on cold dry days.

Unless it is an explosion proof fan, always blow, instead of suck the vapors away, not only for efficiency reasons, but because the sparks from an electric motor slip ring can ignite the vapors.

Always use plastic or other spark proof blades, because a grain of sand can spark when hitting a steel blade, and be propelled into the concentrated vapors.

Always keep a fully charged and recently inspected fire extinguisher on hand. bunny muffin sometimes happens and less bunny muffin is better, as I see it!

Never had to use one at home, though I have in industry, and they can’t be beaten when they are called for!

If you get inadvertently sprayed with butane, stop, and go change clothes. Immolating as I sees it, is highly overrated!

Keep a blanket on hand, and if you do get unexpectedly ignited, immediately wrap yourself in it to extinguish the flames.

The good news is that none of the above has ever happened to me, or any of my friends who pay close attention and try their very best to avoid it.

Wonderfully written with great info.

Thank you HJ :)

• 3 weeks later...

fyi: an electric kettle filled with water next to a purging dish can spark when a boil is reached and the switch flips off and ignite a dish of butane, it happened to me ,, even outside,,, keep all electrical and gas (other than butane cans obviously)  away from your dish until all the liquid is gone, i also question people who blast directly onto these electric griddles , while i don't use one myself, i would also suggest waiting until the liquid is gone before you start messing with temperatures , if you need to speed the butane evaporation process , rest your dish in another dish of warm water until the activity slows down, if anyone has questions or would like to share aggregate data or techniques, or just needs help getting started, please feel free to contact me 

stay safe

• 8 months later...

This is really good advice - but at the risk of sounding like the newbie that I am.....can you explain what exactly you are talking about?  Is this technique used to make RSO or hash...or something else?

bho and rso deal with flammable substances, so this is a warning for both.

you can get a marijuana growing guide at your local library what tells you what all these new words are. it took me an awful lot of reading to memorize each stupid new word for this cannabis plant.

and please, dont forget! 

STOP DROP AND ROLL.

everyone always runs while they are on fire. dont be that guy. be the guy rolling on the ground.

• 1 month later...

Agreed 100%, for those that are serious about extracting and for a greater level of safety, closed loop systems are the way to go.Passive systems such as the tamisium utilize heat and cold to create a natural vacuum to recover the butane. Personally I think passive systems suck due to the time and temperatures involved during the extraction. Active systems utilize mechanical vacuums (that are rated to recover explosive gasses such as butane, the care saver pump is rated for butane and the appion g5 will also work however it is not rated for butane from the manufacturer). These active systems are very safe, can be ran indoors (obviously with proper ventilation and a blast chamber for added protection) and typically produce very nice extracts if the operator knows the science behind this stuff.

While I agree that anyone can make BHO, I believe that it should be left to the people who understand the chemistry and physics that occur during the extraction process. Like everything knowledge is key to success, and in this case safety and not becoming a fireball.

Edited by dpg710

tamisium rocks. there is no safer solvent extraction available. a rotational evap unit is cheaper, for use with liquid solvent/recovery. both can be a danger of course. both are what labs and compounding pharmacies  use. People irresponsibly blasting in their yard, then selling their oil, have one excuse for the dangerous operation, to family, property, neighbors and our Act,  money/profit.  maybe they would have purchased the proper equipment mentioned above, if it wasn't for the investment of money.  Extractions are nothing new. Old world extraction alchemy is a foundation of medicine. Hippies used lighter fluid to make "Stash from Trash" as outlined in the book named the same. We owe it to our community to practice safe methods in our craft. This isn't all about "doing it on the cheap" we're finding.

peace and be safe all

Extraction CAN BE very simple. It's something that every grower can do. It's easier than growing. It gives a grower the ability to use more of the plant than just the very best tops. For an investment of $500 you can buy a simple closed loop extractor that works off a light bulb. It's as safe as cooking your dinner. Maybe safer. lol

my dad had one of those towers when I was a kid !  they loved it, and it sat out next to the lava lamp. I want one for my marijuana museum, with all those junk vaporizers I've tried. lol 

Fact is, we mostly try to be as pure as we can, with organic methods, gloves, hairnet maybe. seems ludicrous to begin an extraction with a toxic material, without including an accurate way of insuring complete removal. I've done it, a hundred times, then I learned some stuff at school, on the job, and bought the right stuff for twice that amount. It works with no heat, vacuum purging done internally, complete removal is measured in real time for reuse and the choice of solvents as vast, with no exposure to the user or the air. My bestest results come from using certified non toxic N-butane. Its food grade, and been is use as such for a hundred years. Never more than 400 grams of it anywhere during operation(about four cans). It aint the only way of course, just the safest most economical and purest way I have ever experienced. I was privy to a real time cannabis C02extraction, and could even get one if so desired. I still suggest the tamisium for best results, at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not comparing for ego, just enlightening the masses. I've been exposed to the process for a long time and thought I'd share. I personally enjoy a dry sift with my can more than honey oil or amber glass. and that's very safe, and legal, cheap as heck.

my dad had one of those towers when I was a kid !  they loved it, and it sat out next to the lava lamp. I want one for my marijuana museum, with all those junk vaporizers I've tried. lol 

Fact is, we mostly try to be as pure as we can, with organic methods, gloves, hairnet maybe. seems ludicrous to begin an extraction with a toxic material, without including an accurate way of insuring complete removal. I've done it, a hundred times, then I learned some stuff at school, on the job, and bought the right stuff for twice that amount. It works with no heat, vacuum purging done internally, complete removal is measured in real time for reuse and the choice of solvents as vast, with no exposure to the user or the air. My bestest results come from using certified non toxic N-butane. Its food grade, and been is use as such for a hundred years. Never more than 400 grams of it anywhere during operation(about four cans). It aint the only way of course, just the safest most economical and purest way I have ever experienced. I was privy to a real time cannabis C02extraction, and could even get one if so desired. I still suggest the tamisium for best results, at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not comparing for ego, just enlightening the masses. I've been exposed to the process for a long time and thought I'd share. I personally enjoy a dry sift with my can more than honey oil or amber glass. and that's very safe, and legal, cheap as heck.

Wrong thinking. The machines work excellent and it's as easy as making dinner. You would have to be able to follow instructions, of course. Some folks can't boil water, some can make you a souffle' for breakfast. If you are the type that can't cook then it might be a challenge for you.

As this is a safety discussion I won't get into the downfalls of the tamisium, it was a decent unit, but much better alternatives exist. If someone wants to create a thread on extractors I will be happy to chime in.

Ego's can get huge in this world and I try my hardest to not play those games.

Bottom line is there are many ways to do an extraction, each with advantages and disadvantages, however basic safety protocols should still be adhered to. Hell even supercritical CO2 has risks.

Also, there is no way to completely rremove butane from your extract using just a tamisium, you may think it's clean, I come from an area where residual testing of solvents in extracts is normal, the best result I have ever seen from a tamisium recovery was 250ppm which is not acceptable by my standards. The only way we were able to obtain a lower then 50ppm reading was to utilize a vacuum oven, or a very long (6 days to be exact) slow heat air purge

Edited by dpg710

Food grade alcohol, of your choosing, of course.

are you referring to the cold fingers extractor that was advertised in HT for many many years? If so the guys at Eden Labs (the ones who make that) are putting out some awesome CO2 extractors right now. Super impressive units if you have 100k+ to spend.

are you referring to the cold fingers extractor that was advertised in HT for many many years? If so the guys at Eden Labs (the ones who make that) are putting out some awesome CO2 extractors right now. Super impressive units if you have 100k+ to spend.

Cold finger is awesome. I use the cheaper version also advertised in HT, ISO 2. I have the advertisement from 1979. I have two originals, one even has the original box. Saw one sell for a grand on eBay the other day. You can get the remake for around $500.

I have enjoyed all of the tech stuff you guys are all talking about,  but im not gonna change my way of making bho because of this thread, I find it interesting, and im not even gonna say I havent learned a few things, but I dont think I did.  I know now why I have been delaying making a bunch of bho!  something inside me besides the carruthers thing and coa ruling, I realy couldnt nail it down why ive been so hesitant to make a nice batch!

Im aware of all of the ignitions that could happen if your inside our outside!  but one thing in paticular has made me wait to make a batch or 4 lol. and I will give this thread credit for making me realize why I have not done any extractions since summer,  after I got done reading this thread I thought well phooy im not fixing it if it isnt broken, and I learned how to do this way before there was an internet (yea way before gore created the internet bawahahahaha)  We have just gotten new carpet a few months ago, and my dog shocks me several times a day now, Im thinking that was in the back of my mind the whole time,

so lets also add dont do it with your best friend(dog) around or with new carpet, a for sure spark that will most def make me one of the rollers and not the guy running on fire!

Let me also add dont be one of them guys running on fire, drop cable and get direct t.v! :yahoo-wave:

peace

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...