Medical For Add/adhd

I've been diagnosed with ADD by a certified therapist and was given a perscription for a medication that didn't work well with my body. I'm interested in using medical marijuana, but I read that ADD/ADHD wasn't among the list of accepted ailments in Michigan. So my questions are: 1) Is it possible to still become a patient? and 2) If so, how can I go about doing it? Or if not, how can I go about putting ADD/ADHD as one of the ailments on the list? Thanks

Since ADD isn't on the list of conditions, you can't get certified on that basis. You'd have to have another condition that's listed to get your card. 

As far as adding it to the list, there are others here that know what's going on with the panel that determines what gets added. Hopefully someone will chime in. 

if your pills cause debilitating nausea , you can get registered for nausea.

good one bobandtorey :)

if your ADD/ADHD causes muscle spasms, that may also be a qualifying condition.

i know a couple people with ADD who have a lot of tics and twitches.

i've seen marijuana help one of them immensely.

to go about getting registered,

you must find a MD or DO to sign a recommendation to use marijuana form and follow the rules on sending it into LARA.

here are the forms to fill out:

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_63294_63303_51869_52139---,00.html

you can find more info at the lara michigan medical marihuana program site:

http://www.michigan.gov/mmp‎

its highly recommended that you get your current doctor to do the recommendation.

but if he/she will not sign for you, you can find doctors who specialize in marijuana treatment.

some are listed in the back of the metrotimes/realdetroit newspaper or on craigslist, or weedmaps.

for getting ADD/ADHD on the qualifying list, you must submit a petition to the LARA medical marihuana panel.

theres a form to fill out and mail in. then they will have a meeting on it and decide yay or nay to add it.

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_63294_63303_51869_62980---,00.html

has a link to the form you need to fill out.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/Medical_Marihuana_Review_Panel_Petition_Packet_10-12_400189_7.pdf

is the current form, but it may change at any time without notice.

only one condition per form, please.

also if i may make a suggestion, from previous panel meetings,

it seems like some panel members didnt want to add a condition that children suffer from.

so stick to the 'adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder' condition.

maybe adding adult to the condition will make it easier to be accepted.

good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I agree with Bob and T-pain.  The law allows you to be certified if your condition causes nausea/pain/muscle spasms...or if TREATMENT of your condition causes one of these.

So if you take pills for your PTSD and said pills make you sick, then maybe you need MMJ to keep your stomach from vomiting up your meds.  I think this is pretty common.  A lot of us have a hard time keeping pills down.  So taking a hit of MMJ followed by swallowing the pill......

Probably requires a visit to your PCP and then another visit to an MMJ clinic. 

Just as a side note......

It will be very difficult to get a certifying doctor to sign for you on your claim of nausea without supporting records. 

SO.....

If you have nausea from the medication, you need to make sure you complain to your primary care physician about it, so it gets added to your records/chart notes.

Edited by northerngal

I agree with Bob and T-pain.  The law allows you to be certified if your condition causes nausea/pain/muscle spasms...or if TREATMENT of your condition causes one of these.

So if you take pills for your PTSD and said pills make you sick, then maybe you need MMJ to keep your stomach from vomiting up your meds.  I think this is pretty common.  A lot of us have a hard time keeping pills down.  So taking a hit of MMJ followed by swallowing the pill......

Probably requires a visit to your PCP and then another visit to an MMJ clinic. 

Well, the treatment I was receiving for my ADHD was causing me some pain. With my therapist's permission, I stopped taking them. She noted it in a letter for any other doctor I might see in the future. Will that do?

if your pills cause debilitating nausea , you can get registered for nausea.

good one bobandtorey :)

if your ADD/ADHD causes muscle spasms, that may also be a qualifying condition.

i know a couple people with ADD who have a lot of tics and twitches.

i've seen marijuana help one of them immensely.

to go about getting registered,

you must find a MD or DO to sign a recommendation to use marijuana form and follow the rules on sending it into LARA.

here are the forms to fill out:

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_63294_63303_51869_52139---,00.html

you can find more info at the lara michigan medical marihuana program site:

http://www.michigan.gov/mmp‎

its highly recommended that you get your current doctor to do the recommendation.

but if he/she will not sign for you, you can find doctors who specialize in marijuana treatment.

some are listed in the back of the metrotimes/realdetroit newspaper or on craigslist, or weedmaps.

for getting ADD/ADHD on the qualifying list, you must submit a petition to the LARA medical marihuana panel.

theres a form to fill out and mail in. then they will have a meeting on it and decide yay or nay to add it.

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_63294_63303_51869_62980---,00.html

has a link to the form you need to fill out.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/Medical_Marihuana_Review_Panel_Petition_Packet_10-12_400189_7.pdf

is the current form, but it may change at any time without notice.

only one condition per form, please.

also if i may make a suggestion, from previous panel meetings,

it seems like some panel members didnt want to add a condition that children suffer from.

so stick to the 'adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder' condition.

maybe adding adult to the condition will make it easier to be accepted.

good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Well, I don't have the ticks or twitches, but I had to stop taking some meds due to the pain it caused (which the therapist approved of). Thanks for the advice for the registration and petition process.

Well, the treatment I was receiving for my ADHD was causing me some pain. With my therapist's permission, I stopped taking them. She noted it in a letter for any other doctor I might see in the future. Will that do?

Many/most MMJ clinics will look at your records and won't schedule you for an appointment unless they believe you qualify.  Based on my own observations of the cert process (done it 5 times now) I think you're probably OK.

If you stopped taking the treatment that was causing the pain, then it is no longer causing you pain......

Is this correct?

To qualify under "pain", it MUST be severe, chronic pain.  Previous pain described as "some" pain, caused by treatment no longer being utilized, does not constitute as chronic nor severe. 

Many/most MMJ clinics will look at your records and won't schedule you for an appointment unless they believe you qualify.  Based on my own observations of the cert process (done it 5 times now) I think you're probably OK.

Ok? 

Based on what condition?

A letter from a doctor stating that a treatment that you PREVIOUSLY used caused you pain when you used it?  (not a qualifier)

ADHD does not qualify.  Nausea from medication, if any exists would need to be recorded/documented.

Edited by northerngal

If you stopped taking the treatment that was causing the pain, then it is no longer causing you pain......

Is this correct?

To qualify under "pain", it MUST be severe, chronic pain.  Previous pain described as "some" pain, caused by treatment no longer being utilized, does not constitute as chronic nor severe. 

I understand. So the next route would be signing a petition then; thank you.

I understand. So the next route would be signing a petition then; thank you.

Did you look over the petitioning process or have you read into it at all?   There is much more needed than signing a petition.  There have been many petition applications with lengthy research and not one condition to date has been approved and added. 

By all means though, do the research and submit a good petition, you never know, perhaps they may decide to review it at some point. 

Good luck in your venture!!

Edited by northerngal

Did you look over the petitioning process or have you read into it at all?   There is much more needed than signing a petition.  There have been MANY petition applications with lengthy research and not one condition to date has been approved and added. 

By all means though, do the research and submit a good petition, you never know, perhaps they may decide to review it at some point. 

Good luck in your venture!!

Yes I have, and I agree. If you wouldn't mind, will you point me in the direction to where I can find these petitions, read upon them, and potentially start my petitioning process???

Yes I have, and I agree. If you wouldn't mind, will you point me in the direction to where I can find these petitions, read upon them, and potentially start my petitioning process???

Choose the top choice: "Medical Marihuana Review Panel Petition "  (or download/print it here)

Edited by northerngal

Like I've mentioned, I already downloaded the peition papers. I would like to find the petitions that were filled out, sent, and not accepted on the list of debilitating conditions (as you mentioned that there were "MANY"). This link just points me in the direction of the public hearings and meeting notices for PTSD and Parkingson's disease (which were added earlier this year), and the denial to include Asthma and Autism for qualifying conditions.

Like I've mentioned, I already downloaded the peition papers. I would like to find the petitions that were filled out, sent, and not accepted on the list of debilitating conditions (as you mentioned that there were "MANY"). This link just points me in the direction of the public hearings and meeting notices for PTSD and Parkingson's disease (which were added earlier this year), and the denial to include Asthma and Autism for qualifying conditions.

I suppose you were not clear in your request or I misunderstood. 

You could attend the review panel meetings, that's about as close as your going to get to the submitted petitions at this point.

For clarification purposes:  Parkinsons and PTSD WERE NOT added to the act.  There have not been ANY new conditions added since the inception of the act. 

Maybe this will help you understand that although the review panel accepted those 2 conditions, LARA did not. 

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/43177-michigan-admits-major-error-dissolves-new-marijuana-conditions-panel/?hl=ptsd#entry444711

Good luck with the petition process.  Keep us posted!

Edited by northerngal

You could attend the review panel meetings, that's about as close as your going to get to the submitted petitions at this point.

For clarification purposes:  Parkinsons and PTSD WERE NOT added to the act.  There have not been ANY new conditions added since the inception of the act. 

This thread may help you understand what happened with PTSD/Parkinsons, the review panel and why they were NOT approved. 

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/43177-michigan-admits-major-error-dissolves-new-

Maybe this will help you understand that although the review panel accepted those 2 conditions, LARA did not. 

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/43177-michigan-admits-major-error-dissolves-new-marijuana-conditions-panel/?hl=ptsd#entry444711

Good luck with the petition process.  Keep us posted!

marijuana-conditions-panel/?hl=ptsd#entry444711

Oh wow. Sorry about that; clearly I've been deceived by the government once again. So, unless another panel has been created; would it be safe to say that going further than filling out the petition, and getting my paper work together would be futile?

Ok? 

Based on what condition?

A letter from a doctor stating that a treatment that you PREVIOUSLY used caused you pain when you used it?  (not a qualifier)

ADHD does not qualify.  Nausea from medication, if any exists would need to be recorded/documented.

He said it was documented.  I'm posting based on my own experience with clinics.  Your experience might vary...so I would not suggest he look into any clinics you think would not aprove him.  I know some that are likely to approve.  Those are the clinics I was referring to.

He said it was documented.  I'm posting based on my own experience with clinics.  Your experience might vary...so I would not suggest he look into any clinics you think would not aprove him.  I know some that are likely to approve.  Those are the clinics I was referring to.

Well Highlander(nice name by the way), I would like to know one of those clinics you speak of.

Well Highlander(nice name by the way), I would like to know one of those clinics you speak of.

Thanks for the compliment.  I assume there isn't sarcasm there.  My grandad enlisted in the regular army in Scotland in 1912ish. And served in WWI under the banner of the Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders.  Years later, his son (my dad) was drafted into the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders in WWII.  Scots were bad-donkey. 

Gather up your records and make an appointment with the Greenlite Clinic in Burton (they have clinics on other areas too but I think this is their home base).  Have a real conversation with the Doc.  I think you'll get where you need to be.

He did not claim to have any qualifying condition documented.  Please reference this......

A legitimate clinic requires records verifying a qualifying medical condition.  In a legit clinic you need to prove you qualify, not just claim you do. 

I have helped close to a 1000 people become certified.  I also spend several hours a month helping educate people on becoming and staying legal.  I have a pretty good grasp on the MMMact.  

I suppose shady clinics that are not following rules still exist, but to protect yourself I would not suggest using them.  Why have a certification that isn't worth the paper its printed on?

Edited by northerngal

He did not claim to have any qualifying condition documented.  Please reference this......

A legitimate clinic requires records verifying a qualifying medical condition.  In a legit clinic you need to prove you qualify, not just claim you do. 

I have helped close to a 1000 people become certified.  I also spend several hours a month helping educate people on becoming and staying legal.  I have a pretty good grasp on the MMMact.  

I suppose shady clinics that are not following rules still exist, but to protect yourself I would not suggest using them.  Why have a certification that isn't worth the paper its printed on?

The OP said "I've been diagnosed with ADD by a certified therapist and was given a perscription for a medication that didn't work well with my body"

"Debilitating medical condition" means 1 or more of the following:

(1) Cancer, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Crohn's disease, agitation of Alzheimer's disease, nail patella, or the treatment of these conditions.

(2) A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces 1 or more of the following: cachexia or wasting syndrome; severe and chronic pain; severe nausea; seizures, including but not limited to those characteristic of epilepsy; or severe and persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to those characteristic of multiple sclerosis.

If a patient has a medical condition, and the treatment of the condition results in nausea, for example, then the patient qualifies.  There is no requirement for a specific ailment under the law to be approvable under Item 2 above....just a requirement that the treatment of said ailment results in ___(see above).

A patient could be diagnosed with the heebegeebees.  But Heebegeebees isn't a qualifying condition.  But if the patent's Dr. prescribes meds for the Heebegeebees and said meds make the patient nauseated, then said patient qualifies for MMJ use.

It couldn't be any simpler.  Maybe if you take a closer look at this you could help even more people get certified.

Edited by Highlander