Former Marijuana Dispensary Owners, Employee Sentenced

Three people associated with a now defunct Handy Township medical marijuana dispensary were sentenced this morning.

Marshall Alternative owners Alan Marshall and Christie Marshall were sentenced to one year probation for delivering marijuana to an undercover narcotics officer who acted as a medical marijuana patient.

Former Marshall Alternatives' employee Stephanie Baxter also was sentenced to one year probation and 10 days in jail, which she will serve on the weekends. She had earlier entered a plea to delivery without numeration.

The Marshall couple and two former employees were charged for selling the drug to an undercover narcotics officer who posed as a card-carrying medical marijuana patient in February 2011 and in May 2011.

Former employee April Sundie Smith, who worked as a medical assistant at the former Marshall Alternatives, was sentenced June 27 to three days in the Livingston County Jail for misdemeanor delivery or manufacture of marijuana without enumeration. The Pinckney resident, who declined the judge's request to speak in court, was given credit for three days already served, according to court records.

Supreme Court justices ruled this year that medical marijuana dispensaries are not permitted under Michigan's Medical Marihuana Act, which voters approved in 2008.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/20130822/NEWS01/130822006/marshall-alternatives-medical-marijuana-sentencing

I won on a sec 8. Not everyone is willing to go all the way.Did not want any part of a sweetheart plea deal.Just me everyone else has there own circumstances.

jeff, it takes $ to do a section 8. did your circumstances include pro bono legal help?  if not what was your tab?

Edited by pic book

• 2 months later...

without the state to verify the DL and mmmp card validity, as intended by our act we voted for, with registration to a caregiver, these are real leo concerns. if a cop can phony a card, so could most kids.

police can verify cards using the LEIN system.

dispensaries were not included in the mmma. so the only way to transfer medicine was between a registered patient and a registered caregiver with a change form. then LARA would verify the cards on the change form and tell you if it were a real card or not. if those people who were transferring medical marijuana to any patient would have followed those rules, they would not be in this predicament.

not that i'm saying this is fair for anyone involved. also some of this was found out in mcqueen in 2012 so not everyone got that memo.

police have also used real cards (they went to doctor mills to get them in their own names).

has anyone actually tried calling LARA to verify a card?

i mean, if you have the card with the name, addy, patient number, would they verify it?

i guess the MMMA states only law enforcement can verify cards. still worth a shot.

Edited by t-pain

without the state to verify the DL and mmmp card validity, as intended by our act we voted for, with registration to a caregiver, these are real leo concerns. if a cop can phony a card, so could most kids.

There is a number you can call to verify an MMJ card's validity.  Telephone Number: 517-373-0395

A CG friend of mine used the number to verify whether or not a PT he hadn't seen in four months had dropped him as a CG.