Flavored, Medicated, Colored Cannabis ?

trichcycler

I dont beleive one should add fake flavorings to there meds, I think that if it dont taste or smell something your not growing it right . JMHO>> I dont add flavor n definitely  dont think im losing anything in the grow, I can't say i havent thought about it, when i first went to hydro, i felt i lost a lot of flavor, that soil grows seemed to produce, I then figured out its harvest times, nutrients, micro additives,lights, and even air movement makes the differences, one such additive is molasses, that is lots of sugar, it adds to the terpene tastes, the rest to me is just smell and to me thats strain related..  now i can produce gums, fruits, an pine, and earth flavors, all from good growing techniques and not funky flavoring, , when it says its blueberry gum it smells and tastes like it .. JMHO

Edited by Willy

I don't add flavorings to mine either, I agree with you Willy. I could give two squirts if someone else prefers to add a fake bubblegum flavoring to their stash though. I remember yrs ago similar discussions concerning beer brewing/flavors. some loved the idea, others thought it was to "cover up their crappy beer flavors". Now Sam Adams owns that market !

It would seem consumers have voted the "added flavoring" right into a lot of what hey consume. Salt, fat and cheese isn't enough apparently, and requires the addition of MSG. I hate that stuff but see it all the time in ingredient lists at the store. Flavored rolling papers were sold to m users decades ago, with gum, blueberry, chocolate, and a whole bunch of others too. I tried some yrs ago and didn't like it at all, but others loved them still. I've never received cannabis that I thought something had been added to it, and would be pizzed if I did.

I did grow canteloupe kush in composted cantaloupe rinds and was questioned about the intensity of the effects and flavor in humor. In fairness my C99 grown in the same compost also increased its "pineapple" terpene smell profile immensely. Not even sure why, but who cares, it was pure bliss to use.

I don't add flavorings to mine either, I agree with you Willy. I could give two squirts if someone else prefers to add a fake bubblegum flavoring to their stash though. I remember yrs ago similar discussions concerning beer brewing/flavors. some loved the idea, others thought it was to "cover up their crappy beer flavors". Now Sam Adams owns that market !

It would seem consumers have voted the "added flavoring" right into a lot of what hey consume. Salt, fat and cheese isn't enough apparently, and requires the addition of MSG. I hate that stuff but see it all the time in ingredient lists at the store. Flavored rolling papers were sold to m users decades ago, with gum, blueberry, chocolate, and a whole bunch of others too. I tried some yrs ago and didn't like it at all, but others loved them still. I've never received cannabis that I thought something had been added to it, and would be pizzed if I did.

I did grow canteloupe kush in composted cantaloupe rinds and was questioned about the intensity of the effects and flavor in humor. In fairness my C99 grown in the same compost also increased its "pineapple" terpene smell profile immensely. Not even sure why, but who cares, it was pure bliss to use.

If you had to sort out what's real and what's isn't when deciding what to buy you WOULD give (quote) 'two squirts' about it.

This isn't always about 'you', sometimes it's about trying to help others not get flogged by cheats selling crapola they added stink to. 

Have you been bamboozled or something? I don't know of anyone who has ever had flavors added to their supply, do you ?

I don't even see a report of it online.

I clearly stated "their stash", sorry you missed that. It is my thread and my opinion will be all over it, just as your opinions are. I maintain "I don't give two squirts if someone adds flavorings to their stash".

Have you been bamboozled or something? I don't know of anyone who has ever had flavors added to their supply, do you ?

I don't even see a report of it online.

I clearly stated "their stash", sorry you missed that. It is my thread and my opinion will be all over it, just as your opinions are. I maintain "I don't give two squirts if someone adds flavorings to their stash".

I grow my own. It's not about me. It doesn't have to be about me to be concerned.

I find it ironic though that you said to go to the dispensary and buy the stinkiest thing you can find.  How's that work when there are people like you posting over and over with spam about all the fake stinks you can buy? How many threads is this now? 10?

Edited by Restorium2

I grow my own. It's not about me. It doesn't have to be about me to be concerned.

How's that work when there are people like you posting over and over with spam about all the fake stinks you can buy? How many threads is this now? 10?

I've never heard of anyone trying to mask smells and flavors for swindling purposes, except from you.

No dispensaries report this, no patients are reporting it, only you with your fears.

Flavored papers, drops, etc have existed for a long time, get over it. One could boycott the smoke store, or mr vapor, or discover the health risks involved and spread the news.... but if a patient wishes to flavor his stash, who cares to tell them they cannot. Flavored cannabis oil is sold at dispensaries I see online, because patients are demanding it. If not, that valuable real estate shelving would be featuring another product quickly maybe. Cannabis flavors were sold long before nicotine vaporizers were marketed, and flavored papers long before that even. If nobody demanded it, nobody would be selling it. Your self appointed job of "protecting patients from cannabis flavorings" is futile, the jig is up, and patients are making choices to flavor, sorry you had to hear it from me, sorta.

Edited by grassmatch

I've never heard of anyone trying to mask smells and flavors for swindling purposes, except from you.

No dispensaries report this, no patients are reporting it, only you with your fears.

Flavored papers, drops, etc have existed for a long time, get over it. One could boycott the smoke store, or mr vapor, or discover the health risks involved and spread the news.... but if a patient wishes to flavor his stash, who cares to tell them they cannot. Flavored cannabis oil is sold at dispensaries I see online, because patients are demanding it. If not, that valuable real estate shelving would be featuring another product quickly maybe. Cannabis flavors were sold long before nicotine vaporizers were marketed, and flavored papers long before that even. If nobody demanded it, nobody would be selling it. You're self appointed job of "protecting patients from cannabis flavorings" is futile, the jig is up, and patients are making choices to flavor, sorry you had to hear it from me, sorta.

One man's swindle is another man's gravy train which he will protect and defend until he has no more time to type. 

Altering the smell of cannabis is one of the oldest cannabis swindles there is. 

I feel fortunate. Buying cannabis for over 30 years nobody ever artificially flavored my cannabis to my knowledge. I wasn't privy to much exotic smoke often,

mostly smelled like skunk, or grass only. I don't think people are putting bubblegum drops in the supply chain then or now, or sneaking a grape flavored rolling paper

on a joint for sale lol, at least you're the only one reporting it to me.  No patient or caregiver or dispensary would let that fly I hope.

I DO NOT, AND HAVE NOT ARTIFICIALLLY FLAVORED MY GARDEN PRODUCTS, in case you were wondering. There is no reason for you to imply that I use flavorings.

I appreciate the natural rich bodied flavors of

of fully expressed cannabis. I do compost exotic fruits, grasses, vegetables and even cannabis leaves, rabbit and chicken turds too, until it turns to dirt

and happily grow in that recycled dirt.  I find using different composting materials affect the terpene profiles in finished plants. Just like outdoors, providing my

compost with a variety of organic mulch is a real winner in my cannabis garden.

I feel fortunate. Buying cannabis for over 30 years nobody ever artificially flavored my cannabis to my knowledge. I wasn't privy to much exotic smoke often,

mostly smelled like skunk, or grass only. I don't think people are putting bubblegum drops in the supply chain then or now, or sneaking a grape flavored rolling paper

on a joint for sale lol, at least you're the only one reporting it to me.  No patient or caregiver or dispensary would let that fly I hope.

I DO NOT, AND HAVE NOT ARTIFICIALLLY FLAVORED MY GARDEN PRODUCTS, in case you were wondering. There is no reason for you to imply that I use flavorings.

I appreciate the natural rich bodied flavors of

of fully expressed cannabis. I do compost exotic fruits, grasses, vegetables and even cannabis leaves, rabbit and chicken turds too, until it turns to dirt

and happily grow in that recycled dirt.  I find using different composting materials affect the terpene profiles in finished plants. Just like outdoors, providing my

compost with a variety of organic mulch is a real winner in my cannabis garden.

Since you started this thread;

So if someone were to use a dispensary to sell their cannabis that they flavored so it was a 'better sell' then you would see that as a swindle? 

I don't think my opinion on the matter is important at all, except to your sophomoric point of "Since you started this thread".

I would think that the mere presence of an illegal retail drug store would be a patient's first flag warning of a possible swindle perhaps. I suspect folks are not on the look out for tainted mj. Purchasing through legal channels, supporting legal framework and the Act we voted for is a safer choice. Much of the weeds I've sampled from local dispensaries was a swindle in my opinion. Otherwise the dispensary buyer would have thrown the grower(s) out the front door if they tried to pass of some of the junk I've experienced. If a seller of medical cannabis doesn't know exactly what is in their meds before they represent it, I would call that the original swindle. Patients have options to buy from an illegal source, or one they trust to help avoid consuming any cannabis adulterants used in the industry.

Since you started this thread;

So if someone were to use a dispensary to sell their cannabis that they flavored so it was a 'better sell' then you would see that as a swindle?

I am curious if would include the long list of commercial flavor additives like Floralicious, Bud Candy and the others, to be swindle producing additives? these are fodder additives to many hydro and dirt growers alike. Popular in magazines, grow stores, high times reviews and net forums too. They affect the final flavor of cannabis to varying degrees, with artificial ingredients, sweeteners, chelators, molasses, fruit concentrates, on and on, just like the cannabis/tobacco/nicotine/cannabis vaporizer flavor industry sells.

I am curious if would include the long list of commercial flavor additives like Floralicious, Bud Candy and the others, to be swindle producing additives? these are fodder additives to many hydro and dirt growers alike. Popular in magazines, grow stores, high times reviews and net forums too. They affect the final flavor of cannabis to varying degrees, with artificial ingredients, sweeteners, chelators, molasses, fruit concentrates, on and on, just like the cannabis/tobacco/nicotine/cannabis vaporizer flavor industry sells.

See above post.

• 1 month later...

It’s not a proven scientific fact, but many pot smokers are consuming mangoes an hour before lighting up to boost their highs. According to Marijuana.com, there’s a good chance that the myrcene molecules found in mango can possibly “increase, strengthen and even lengthen” the euphoric feeling from smoking marijuana.

Marijuana already contains more than 100 terpene molecules that are responsible for affecting THC in the brain and giving highs their ebbs and flows. But marijuana contains the myrcene terpene more than any other kind. So, if you eat a mango rich in myrcenes, you can potentially improve the high for low-quality buds or give a high-quality bud a little extra. As for how myrcene and terpene work, the research is still in its infancy.

“I don’t know the answer and the reason we don’t know the answer is because our government in its infinite wisdom didn’t permit any research in this area for many years,” said Christopher Hudalla, chief scientific officer at ProVerde Labs. “In many cases we are just starting to do this research.”

Myrcene is responsible for the aromas of apricots, walnuts and Valencia oranges and is widely used in the perfume industry. It gets its name from the plant mercia and is also found in lemon grass, verbena, hops and the West Indian bay tree used to make bay rum. Its aroma is much like cannabis as it can be woodsy, citrusy and fruity.

But one of its lesser-known qualities is that the myrcene allows THC to pass through the blood brain barrier much faster. On average, it takes THC seven seconds to reach the brain after inhaling. But if you eat a mango — or a mango smoothie — 90 minutes before smoking, you could potentially halve that time.

The “Big Book of Buds” notes that the Cavalo, Rosa, Espada and Paulista variety of mangoes are excellent sources of myrcene

Before you pop a giant mango in your mouth, you’ll still want to adjust the timing because a slower metabolism can take longer to digest the mango, affecting how long it’ll take to feel any improvements to your high.

If you want to get the full effect of marijuana’s terpenes, you’ll also want to take a few deep breaths and inhale the aromas of your bud before you smoke. You can do this by breaking or chopping up the buds (purists may say otherwise to chopping up the bud) and then inhaling deeply through your nose.

Eating the mango will naturally boost the levels of terpenes and boost the high, but there’s another benefit to mangoes. Not only are they high in myrcene terpene, they also are high in vitamins C, A and dietary fiber which is a great way to counter the junk-food munchies

alternet

• 3 weeks later...

I've got some results from various composting experiments in !
the most exciting is the Hops compost. Yep, I grow Hops, mountains of them scattered. A large beautiful bush with bright flowers and very distinct aromas. I grow them for a few different reasons. They make a good privacy fence in summer time, they smell unique, they are expensive to buy if you brew/dry/ or need extract of hops for medicinal reasons. I fancy the supposed relationship between Hops and Cannabis both producing trichomes with often the same medicinal terpenes inside.
Of course the fact that they both belong to the Cannabaceae family, and the history of gossip between the two growing together....well, I had to see for myself.

I'll share some of those rumored bits if anyone is interested, true and not. Know that (my)Hops cannot/will never produce THC in the garden. Also, I've grafted hundreds of plants and can tell you that to enable the growth of both cannabis and hops on the same vine the rootstock must be manipulated. The hops will always be hops, the cannabis will be cannabis. seeds will not be the two combined. clones will not be "hybrids", only two very different plants growing on the same root system.

I've also played with Potatoes growing under tomato plants with the same rootstock fiddling. its weird, but not gmo or cultured at all, just twisty tied, injured, and healed basically. Apple trees can show several different types of fruits this way too, available commercially now.

anyways I end up with piles of pure compostable hops flowers yearly and naturally support a very large composting project(s)including Hops, Pine needles, flowers, fruits, etc. When its all said and done I can share that facilitating the fullest flower expression in cannabis could include actually growing it within substrate of composted like cannabis.

that said cannabis' medicinal terpene profiles are affected/influenced by the substrate they grow in. apple orchards have known this for ages. Olive and grape farmers count on it. This is one reason I ceased my hydroponic funs. I so wanted to be able to experiment with an organic approach and hydro. I ended with a top feed of (real) fish effluent and perlite. worked, but, meh, So I completed the soil transformation and love it.

first I'll share this article by Martha

What's The Connection Between Hops And Marijuana?

By Martha Harbison

Hops

Dr. Hagen Graebner; Wikipedia
"Are hops and marijuana related?"

I've fielded that question many times, usually after someone has sampled an especially resinous IPA -- although at least one PopSci editor asked me the same question when looking at a photo of the leaves of a hop plant.

The answer to that question is yes and no.

The fact that both Humulus lupulus (hops) and Cannabis sativa (marijuana) have similar organoleptic properties (taste and smell) could indicate a common ancestry--but it isn't proof. Lots of plants make similar aroma molecules, known as terpenes and terpenoid compounds, including lemons (which make limonene), lavender (linalool) and conifers (pinene) -- but none of them are closely related to cannabis or hops.

Terpenes are a class of organic compounds synthesized by cells. They all start with a particular base molecule, called isoprene. I won't go into terpene biosynthesis here, but it's important to remember that all terpenes are built up using one or more copies of isoprene. A few of the primary aroma terpenes in hops are myrcene, beta-pinene and alpha-humulene--these and similar aromatic compounds are also what give cannabis plants their characteristic smell.

Further, the major bitter compound in hops, the so-called alpha acids, aka humulone, is a terpenoid (derived from terpenes). The primary active ingredient in that dank you're smoking, the tetrahydrocannabinoids, are also terpenoids.

Common aroma terpenes -- and precursor molecule isoprene -- found in cannabis and hops on the top row. On the bottom, the terpenoids in hops that make beer bitter and make cannabis a psychoactive drug.
So, if terpenes are not exclusive to Humulus and Cannabis, how do we know they are related? The one nameless editor who noticed structural similarities in the two plants was more on the money.

Humulus and Cannabis are, in fact, two genera in the family Cannabinaceae, a taxonomic family that has endured a bit of a shakeup in recent history. In ye olden days of taxonomy, biologists would look for structural similarities between plants in order to group them. Botanically speaking, the leaves of plants in the Cannabinaceae family are generally palmately lobed and always have stipules. Additionally, they always have cystoliths (calcium carbonate crystals that sit in special organelles within the cell). Aside from "palmately lobed," none of this means a whole lot to me, either, so I guess we will have to take the plant taxonomists' word on it

Both cannabis (above) and hops have leaves whose lobes (or veins) radiate from a common point, much like the fingers on your hand do.
Before the 1990s, all of these physical similarities put hops and cannabis into a single family, under a larger order called Urticales. And so it stayed, until molecular biologists started running the DNA through sequencers looking for similarities between genes, when they found out that the order Urticales wasn't as special as they thought--it wasn't even its own order. The situation became so frustrating to the flowering-plant taxonomists that in 1998 they organized the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (like the Justice League, but with fewer secret identities) to sort the mess out. The APG published their take on the flowering-plant taxonomic system in 1998, and followed up with updates in 2003 and 2009.

(As an aside, microbiologists went through a similar problem. I am sure that most readers will remember the terms "gram positive" and "gram negative" from biology class, terms used to describe certain kinds of bacteria based on whether they could be dyed with crystal violet. That phenomenon, coupled with the shape of the bacterial cell (rod-shaped, round, or corkscrew), was the original basis for all bacterial taxonomy. In no surprise whatsoever, it turns out that shape is generally a tinkle-poor method to determine evolutionary relationships among bacteria. These days, microbiologists look at the sequence of the 16S ribosomal subunit to separate bacteria into different taxa.)

In 2002, a group of plant and molecular biologists in the US and UK looked at the structural characteristics, cellular organelles, latex-producing-properties (or lack thereof) and DNA sequences of a select number of genes for all of the plants originally in Urticales and related taxa. The upshot: by comparing sequences of rbcL, trnL-F, ndhF and matK DNA regions, they confirmed that Humulus and Cannabis were very closely related and belonged in a single family, Cannabinaceae. They also found that the Cannabinaceae family shares a common ancestor with other families, and thus all of those families needed to be lumped together. Confusingly, because Cannabinaceae is the older name, this bigger group is also called Cannabinaceae, under the order Rosales.

The upshot of all of this: 1) Don't become an angiosperm taxonomist unless you love frustration, because 2) taxonomy can be a giant pain in the butt. 3) Best thing to do is bust out a bottle of homebrew.

And yes, before you ask, homebrewers have made marijuana beer. Details online are thin, because the homebrew forums actively discourage discussion of it and the pothead forums are teeth-clenchingly imprecise. All I've found is 1) dry your bud first, then 2) don't add it to the boil without first soaking it in water to get the worst of the water-soluble tars out. I have no idea why people don't try to dry-pot their beer -- despite the worries I've read from these pot-brewers, the chances of contamination from the plant is very low, especially if you pasteurize it first. As for style, I've seen reports of a very dark ale recipe. Anything with a good malt backbone should be enough to dispel whatever gnarly flavors might develop. Finally, THC is alcohol soluble, so you probably want your beer to be in the 8% ABV range for maximum extraction. (Or just go the cheap and cheery route and extract it in vodka, then throw that in during bottling/kegging.)

• 1 year later...

I just finished up a barrel of composted fennel, pineapple rinds and pine needles. These took a year and a half to meet my needs.

The mix is growing strong, no pests or feeding issues. I chose to veg in the compost as soon as the clones were ready. They're all in flower now. I have some 818Headband, Pink Lady, LSD, and Chemdawg growing in it now. The 818 is most mature of them all right now and the compost influence is obvious in the smell of the leaves and buds. I've trimmed and broken some branches and they explode with the peppery fennel scents. The stalks/leaves and early buds taste strong pine and fennel, but I detect no pineapple  in the 818 yet.

It started out as a pure fennel barrel but I got lazy and ran out of room and combined some bins. I'm considering a fragrant flower compost like gardenia or roses in the future. Pine, fennel, cantaloupe, and lemons have been the most effective so far.  I want bananas to work and they do but they take forever to compost, attract pests and stink too. My worms used to make light work of this composting, I miss my squirmy wigglers

Very interesting grass.  This is some pretty nifty information.

I think I will go collecting some pine needles, fennel is on the list to grow, add more cantaloupe to my diet,

and start putting some lemon in the compost also :)

I thought that citrus peels were not favored in composting?

Does the cantaloupe break down faster than the banana peel?  I don't eat enough of it for practical knowledge :)

I lay my banana peels out on a screen to dry in thin strips.  After a couple of days I pop them in my toaster oven

on 'warm' (approx.140F) and finish dehydrating them.  I then break (or cut) them into smaller pieces and put them in my blender.

While this is not actually 'ashing' it supplies me with a nice dry soil amendment that I can keep jarred up at the ready.  I am in the

heart of downtown so I've developed some methods that may differ from country folks :)  I have used this same process for egg

shells, citrus peels I dry naturally and grind (for personal use, not for soil use), cucumber skin, avocado skin... etc...  Some goes

out to the compost bin, some is done inside and turned to experimental powders. 1/2 an egg shell has enough calcium for a

tomato plant to avoid blossom end rot and is what (kinda) began my little experiments.

Thanks for sharing with us grass :)

Very interesting grass.  This is some pretty nifty information.

I think I will go collecting some pine needles, fennel is on the list to grow, add more cantaloupe to my diet,

and start putting some lemon in the compost also :)

I thought that citrus peels were not favored in composting?

Does the cantaloupe break down faster than the banana peel?  I don't eat enough of it for practical knowledge :)

I lay my banana peels out on a screen to dry in thin strips.  After a couple of days I pop them in my toaster oven

on 'warm' (approx.140F) and finish dehydrating them.  I then break (or cut) them into smaller pieces and put them in my blender.

While this is not actually 'ashing' it supplies me with a nice dry soil amendment that I can keep jarred up at the ready.  I am in the

heart of downtown so I've developed some methods that may differ from country folks :)  I have used this same process for egg

shells, citrus peels I dry naturally and grind (for personal use, not for soil use), cucumber skin, avocado skin... etc...  Some goes

out to the compost bin, some is done inside and turned to experimental powders. 1/2 an egg shell has enough calcium for a

tomato plant to avoid blossom end rot and is what (kinda) began my little experiments.

Thanks for sharing with us grass :)

citrus peels, and pine needles, both dont enjoy the compost for a long time. Mold on the fruit rinds can get out of hand if doing it indoors, the hot temps outside prevent that for me. I love summer time!!  I have 55 gallon drums filled to the top with composting pine needles. I live surrounded by 100 footers here so its easy gathering for me. I use my lawn mower/catcher .

bananas break down for me quicker than  limes/oranges/cantaloupe/melon but not as fast as apples/berries. Fennel and pine compost has been really influential. Keep in mind none of these specialty composts will make a skunk taste like a flower, or a flowery bud taste like licorice...but it is influencing existing terpenes. I love the pine terpenes, along with the citrus and fennel really gets my taste buds rolling. I would like to try composting coffee grounds, and select flowers, maybe roots(besides fennel) like ginseng and radish.

Its no longer an experiment for me but the time it takes to see result is crazy. Dirt doesnt compost in a 60 day cycle or sitting still in a bucket unfortunately.

apples fall into the roots as compost, so do berries, and most other fruits. Next years apples taste better than last years. I used to compost cannabis trim exclusively using worms  to feed new cannabis plants. That was real magic but...It was too much labor for me to manage, but it did teach me about natural terpenes in cannabis that repel and even kill cannabis pests.

I know someday monsanto will employ transgenic principals to influence or even create medicinal terpenes, like they do with other plants that make fuel, poisons, and medicines currently. But I like playing naturally, or semi naturally, like growing cannabis under a lemon tree essentially., or under pine trees etc. They are influenced by their substrate and its content.  We all know different fertilizers can influence end result tastes and performance, not much different/