Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Yes,  Mostly indicas. Sativas can produce anxiety which would be counterproductive to IBS.  Not all, some sativas have worked well for the associated depression.   I have a lemon skunk White widow, wappa  cross which works well.  The lemon skunk is kind of a munchy strain and the white widow was quite relaxing as was the Wappa which I crossed in. 

There are so many other things that go along with it everything works in one way or another.  Associated depression is helped by the hi in any form as long as it's not anxiety inducing, for me.  The cannacoconut oil pills I take helps with general stomach cramps and nausea for extended periods.  Smoking is generally the only thing that helps me with apatite.  Vaping just doesn't seem to do it most times.  At least not instantly.  Although I can really search now thru the strains available and find some that are best for the munchies.

Some strains, although relaxing and pain relieving may tend to trigger abdominal muscle spasms. I had that problem with Blueberry Gum, at least one of the phenos.

I've had good luck with Lemon skunk crosses doing well for the munchies although I had to get the lemon sk. hi out of it or reduced to a briteness to background an indica's relaxed hi.

Never tried juicing and I think I'd have a problem with the chlorophyll.  The oils I make are pretty clear/white after boiling in water/oil.  The water seems to draw the chlorophyll or block it from saturating the oil.  Milk solids and fats can trigger IBS for some, me so I have to stick to coco butter/coconut oil.

I have a pretty nasty case of IBS, with a feeling of sickness (like the flu) being the primary symptom, along with cramping and bloating. Side symptoms are fatigue and insomnia. Nothing I've tried actually gets rid of the feeling of sickness, just distracts me from the misery and replaces some of it with a good feeling. It comforts more than it relieves. The more severe it is the better indicas are for it. During the day a sativa dom strain can be more motivating and energizing, but are only helpful for me if the IBS symptoms aren't too bad and if the strain has some body effect, like Trainwreck or Purple Trainwreck (can be a bit confusing till you use it awhile). A pure head strain doesn't help me at all. When I'm feeling really bad and need to rest and get relief, something like MK Ultra is a good choice. I think that any indica dom strain that has relaxing, pleasant body effects would be helpful. Some amount of euphoria sure doesn't hurt either. To deal with the insomnia I'm currently using Purple Kush, Kosher Kush, and Smashberry. I just wish I could find a strain for insomnia that turned off my thinking rather than encouraging it. 

If you find anything in particular that helps you, please let us know. Good luck.

I tailor my own.  I don't find that most of the popular strains do specifically what I want.  Strains bred for recreation don't generally pick for the munchies, or pain or something that cures spasms.  I had to find one that was really good for apatite and change the hi.  I know have 2 that are good for pain, which helps with the cramps and I got 1 male flower on the QE and it was right next to the L75W and 1 bud got six seeds in it somehow.  I can't wait to try those incidental seeds.

I was thinking of working with the big laughing and seeing what I can come up with.  Sometimes I think it's general depression that makes for a lack of apatite.  I lost all my seedbank one hot summer when I was out of state working.  I had some real medical strains in those and they are all gone, gotta start over.  The problem is that my seedbank was an assorted baggie of seeds, I never knew what I was putting down.  They were all strains thru amsterdam and cup winners.  He would go there and bring them back and give them to growers he knew.  They would breed them and give him back mj and there would be random seeds here and there that he collected and threw all in one baggie.  He gave me that baggie. I know names of popular strains but since almost everything I ever had came from that baggie I have no way of knowing what anything was.  I'm starting to figure some out.  My juicy fruit was actually juicy fruit and my diesel was probably a variation of diesel, my grape bubble yum was who knows(grapier than anything I've ever sampled), my eucalyptus was Durban Poison, etc.etc.  Sorry I can't help with known strains.  I'll report anything I find and I'll somehow see what I could do to make anything I come up with available under the law.

I was taking levbid,a anti-spasmodic for about a month but it is giving me many bad side effects i am trying to stop taking taking it.
it was giving me headaches,blurry vision,constipation,tachycardia and  probably other things.
I ordered some peppermint oil capsules which many people on ibs forums say help alot without the side effects.
blueberry strain seems to make my gut relax and seems to help

I had only one patient with this disorder in the past. She claimed that eating raw cannabis was "gut wrenching " enjoyed smoking, but it was counter productive occasionally, depending on(?) Her best success was found with black tea mixed with a hemp oil extraction. she sifted keif into the oil and warmed it, kept a bottle at the ready all the time. she took about a teaspoon in her drink, but no idea of the strength of the extraction she made. I listened to her strife and am saddened for those who suffer from this. It just about controlled her daily life. she moved to Colorado with her husband and retired. I hope she has safe access there and think of her often.

Has anyone here with IBS had the experience of feeling worse after medicating? Sometimes it happens to me, but I don't know if it's the meds or if I would have felt worse anyway. Since mmj helps, I vote for the latter. 

Yes I have had times where smoking would irritate my stomach. I agree with the use of medmar as more of a distraction from the pain, but in all reality aren't all pain killers the same in that regard.  Some strains are better than others. You need to find what will work for you. I have had just as good luck with Sativas as I have with Indicas. Indicas might work better when in very severe pain, but not by distraction so much as by a nap brought on by the Indica. This has been my   experience for what it is worth

I have been to the Hospital 6 times since November 2009 for the pain associated with IBS, Crohns, and IBF or whatever my Gastro Dr. is calling my illness that week. It's taken awhile, but I am now doing a pretty good job of sensing an attack and have been able to keep myself from going to the Hospital for another stay. I feel for you and anybody else who has any of these problems as I have never felt  so much pain in my life and I have been banged around  a little in my lifetime.

Edited by Country Boy

I have a total colectomy with an ileostomy due to Diverticular Diseases and Ulcerative Colitis coming up on 5 years now. I would be glad to answer any questions . No matter how gross. Country Boy I hope you can get a good Gastro Dr and get a diagnosis. I will help you any way I can.   J

If you find a doorknob in the street today I really need it.

Edited by GregS

You've got about 1 minute to splain what you mean by this comment, Greg S. Cuz I don't get it. Geeze,I sure hope you're not making fun of me. That would hurt.

That is a joke jointedone. Cannabis helps me find humor. No insult intended, I assure you.

I am in the hospital now with the leg infection and a craving for ice cream. My roomie and I are brainstorming the problem.

Edited by GregS

• 2 weeks later...