What Does It Feel Like Before A Seizure?

jamf

• 2 months later...

It differs person to person. All I can tell you is what happens to me. I smell something that smells similer to burning garbage. A horrid smell. This lasts for about 3-5 minutes. Most seizures I have, I do not remember for the most part. But there are occasions where i vaguly keep conciouseness and trust you me, it isnt even fun. I have even bit ut hunks of my tongue. Even after being placed on Triliptol witch made life quite a bit more bearable I still was having petite mals. I did not grow up consuming Marijuana but found that it does seem to be a miracle treatment (Allmost) when it comes to a seizure. I vaporize small amounts 5 times a day (Just enough to make your belly tingly). This makes a world of difference and even helps with the loss of appetite due to taking Triliptol.

I've heard of dogs being able to detect the onset of a seizure before the afflicted can, and warn them to sit, lay, or otherwise not choke and fall by tugging them a trained way. I wonder if it's electrical, or pheromones, or something not understood yet. I would have one of those dogs for sure if I could. I watched my little cousin seize all the time and it was horrifying. Upsetting to see her father dealing with the fear of impending damage possibly being done. She had laser surgery and has been rx free for ten years. no seizures either. I learned of some diet changes that lessened frequency, and thought that was interesting. I cant recall the name of the diet though, "K" comes to mind.

good luck, I hope you always find the relief you need

Right On ! that's it. thanks for bringing that post to light, and for the "etogenic" part. lol

The ketogenic diet has been in existence for 90 years

The ketogenic diet was designed in 1924 by Dr. Russell Wilder at the Mayo Clinic. Despite being highly effective in treating epilepsy, it fell out of fashion due to the surge in new anti-seizure medications in the 1940s. In 1994 Charlie Abraham’s family started The Charlie Foundation after his complete recovery from daily seizures despite trying all available anti-seizure medications and enduring a futile brain surgery. Charlie started the diet as a toddler and remained on it for 5 years. He is now a college student and remains seizure-free.

Ketosis is the unique feature

The diet is high in fat, supplies adequate protein and is low in carbohydrates. This combination changes the way energy is used in the body. Fat is converted in the liver into fatty acids and ketone bodies. Another effect of the diet is that it lowers glucose levels and improves insulin resistance. An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, a state known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the occurrence of epileptic seizures.

Right On ! that's it. thanks for bringing that post to light, and for the "etogenic" part. lol

The ketogenic diet has been in existence for 90 years

The ketogenic diet was designed in 1924 by Dr. Russell Wilder at the Mayo Clinic. Despite being highly effective in treating epilepsy, it fell out of fashion due to the surge in new anti-seizure medications in the 1940s. In 1994 Charlie Abraham’s family started The Charlie Foundation after his complete recovery from daily seizures despite trying all available anti-seizure medications and enduring a futile brain surgery. Charlie started the diet as a toddler and remained on it for 5 years. He is now a college student and remains seizure-free.

Ketosis is the unique feature

The diet is high in fat, supplies adequate protein and is low in carbohydrates. This combination changes the way energy is used in the body. Fat is converted in the liver into fatty acids and ketone bodies. Another effect of the diet is that it lowers glucose levels and improves insulin resistance. An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, a state known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the occurrence of epileptic seizures.

The Atkins Diet also induces ketosis and is widely available.

My non scientific understanding (untill now!) of Ketosis is what happens when you don't eat for an extended period. This triggers a survival mechanism which begins to use up your stored energy supplies (fat). I describe this process as your body eating itself. What usually brings this to my attention is the 'Gout' symptoms begin to re-appear. (Big toe hurts...etc)

Anyways here is a much better definition of this form of Nutritional Ketosis v Diabeteic Ketoacidosis(DKA) which is an out of control process caused by diabetes. 

Heres's a another article I was just looking at regarding the process...

Metabolism & Ketosis

"...Thus a starving person can get a little glucose from the fat that is released from the fat cells, but not nearly enough. The lion’s share has to come from muscle that breaks down into amino acids (atrophy), several of which can be converted by the liver into glucose. (There are a few other minor sources of glucose conversion: the Cori cycle, for example, but these are not major sources, so we’ll leave them for another, more technical, discussion.)

Edited by solabeirtan