What Causes & Relieves Your Pain

Wild Bill

One of the drug warriors current talking points seems to be that most of us on the registry are listed as having chronic pain. (Sore elbows by their estimation)

I was curious as to what the underlying conditions are that cause the pain and what you do to relieve it.

My pain source is Ankylosing spondylitis it is a form of arthritis that primarily affects the spine. It causes inflammation of the spinal joints (vertebrae) that can lead to severe, chronic pain and discomfort. In my case it causes radiculopathy and nerve pain. Coupled with neuropathy from diabetes and some left over myopathy from my coma it generally alternates between numbness and burning pain.

Since my lungs do not allow me to smoke I find relief from various edibles and tincture. The strains I am currently using are Lemoncake and OG Kush. I lost my White Widow and Purple OG during my hospital stay. These four are the strains that seem to help the most.

What causes your pain and what helps?

• 2 weeks later...

RE: 

What Causes & Relieves Your Pain ?    Some people here   :growl: . Some people here  :lolu: .

Surely , all you peolple here know I'm jesting . Lots of good information and advice   :blow-a-heart: , and no , I'm not calling you Shirley . . . 

Bubba is my go to girl , for anything & everything   :)  

• 3 months later...

My pain is from pancreatic problems, im in pain all the time, I also have a liver disorder that is eating up my liver functions Hep C has caused cirrhosis also painful ,, MJ helps with the pain, most of the time, but i also have a huge supply of vicodins, for when nothing works, I have been able to stay off the vics,, in favor of mj,  my strains for me is a cherry berry, 15% thc, and 1.5 cbd.. followed by grape ape, and lately gorilla glue..  it gets me by, bout all i can say, at some point it wont help anymore,  but till then.. mj is working 90% of the time.. 

My pain is from severe osteoarthritis in both knees.  It's so advanced I have essentially no cartilage left in either knee, so it is simply bone on bone when I walk.  I need to have two total knee replacements, but I am relatively young at 40 so I have only found one orthopedic surgeon willing to do the surgery at all, and he is still encouraging me to try and make it to 50.

In addition to that, I have begun having some fairly severe hip pain over the last couple of years - they are not 100% positive of what is causing that pain.  There is arthritis in my hips, so that could be the issue.  They thought it maybe bursitis (I don't believe it is after being an strong anti-inflammatory meds for a long time), and I feel it maybe related to some type of sciatica.  

Anyway, the thing I have found most interesting, and exciting about medical marijuana is the anti-inflammatory properties.  They seem to be stronger, and longer lasting than any other NSAID I've ever tried (not as strong as a steroid like cortisone, which is an amazing drug, but terrible for any sort of long-time usage).  While most strains will help to relieve pain for 1-2 hours while actually under the effects of the medication, certain strains seem to have greater anti-inflammatory properties which allow me to feel much better when I wake up in the morning as well.  

The strains I have found to be the best are many of the OG /Kush varieties, as well as other Indicas.  Some of my favorites are Blackwater OG, Rocklock, Lavendar, Kosher Kush, Banana OG/Kush, Berry White, Cataract Kush, Critical Mass, Northern Lights, Purple Widow, 

Another thing I've found is that the flower is by far the best for the anti-inflammatory properties.  I can't explain why, but when I use a medible or vape oil/wax it will help with the pain, but does not seem to posses the potent anti-inflammatory properties that the flower has.  I generally smoke the flower, as my success with vaping has been limited, so I can't say if vaping the flower has the same effect as smoking the flower from an anti-inflammatory perspective.

One last point in my rather rambling post here is that marijuana does not have the same effect on all types of pain for me.  It essentially does nothing for headaches, and in fact sometimes I think it may cause me headaches  Also, I have an occasional flare-up of Plantar Fascitis, which is horribly painful.  Marijuana does absolutely nothing to help alleviate the pain (which is a very sharp pain), nor does it treat the underlying inflammation that causes the pain to begin with.  I have no idea why.  Especially since the normal course of treatment is to go get a series of cortisone shots in your foot.

My pain is from severe osteoarthritis in both knees.  It's so advanced I have essentially no cartilage left in either knee, so it is simply bone on bone when I walk.

A patient I work with has the same issue with knees. He gets a lot of releif from a topical made with rso containing cbd/thc ratio of about 1:1. 200mgs or .2g rso per ounce of topical works for him.

A patient I work with has the same issue with knees. He gets a lot of releif from a topical made with rso containing cbd/thc ratio of about 1:1. 200mgs or .2g rso per ounce of topical works for him.

I would love to experiment more with high CBD strains - topical, smoked and ingested, but it's been difficult to do as I don't necessarily trust what I can get from dispensaries (and high CD strains are fairly hard to find at dispensaries anyway), and my caregiver does not offer high CBD strains.

I would love to be able to grow my own and have it tested, but that isn't an option in my life at this point.  I've also explored the idea of finding a new caregiver, but I consume a fairly small amount so I'm not often considered an "ideal" patient.

That being said, I have tried some infused topicals, and they brought me some relief, but lasted for a very short duration (20 - 30 min?).  Is your patient getting longer lasting relief from this topical?

MJ, do you have a Planters Wart. Look it up and you will see why it hurts so bad. They are really invasive,viral,and the dr will sedate you, so get that thing outta there. Did you get a Rheumatoid Factor Panel of bloodwork done? So many people and diseases cause inflammation,and all they want to do is give you steroids for it. And you aren't rambling,you are sharing info with other patients.We should all be doing that. When I read here about the reasons people are MMJ pts,I can see similarities in the way the MJ affects inflammatory diseases,and immune system diseases. It helps all of us to share these things.

jointedone - thanks for the reply.  I don't have a Plantar's Wart, it's definitely plantar fasciitis - diagnosed both through the symptom and x-rays show that the pulling and stretching of both my plantar's fascia as well as my Achilles tendon have caused bone spurs on the inside and outside of my heel.  Honestly, as painful as it is, it's fairly easy to get rid of with cortisone shots, and only flares up once every year or two.  I was really just noting that as it's interesting to me that the marijuana offers no relief to that type of pain for me.

As for the Rheumatoid Factor Panel, I have not, but probably should be more aggressive with figuring out what's wrong with me.  I have an unusually high amount of arthritis for a 40 year old.  The knee arthritis is not a surprise as I've had to have both of my ACLs reconstructed, have torn my meniscus multiple times, and have a "buckled" PCL.  With that kind of trauma (and it started with my first ACL tear over 25 years ago) it isn't unusual to have arthritis down the road.  What I find more unusual is that every time I get an xray of any part of my body there is always more arthritis - my neck, my hips, my feet.  I have to wonder what's going on in my body that is causing all of this?  

Lets just BAN all drugs made by pharm companies. No more Claritin for your allergies,no more anything. No more antibiotics, no more insulin,ban em all. Every aspirin you buy is made by pharm companies. Lets put em all out of business,no matter that jobs will be lost and even more people will suffer. And while you're at it,check how much these same companies donate to each political parties PAC Funds. Oil companies too. Everybody on this site,stop taking your RXs  to protest,RIGHT NOW! Lets go to Lansing and throw our prescription bottles at the Capital! So,who will be first to give up all products made by the evil pharm companies?

It won't be me. I have experienced what my life would be without them. They are a necessary part of living with diminished physical and psychic pain. That is more than enough for me to stay with them. What I would like to see is a single payor system that negotiates formularies and rx costs with those companies, much as we see with Canada, the UK, and other industrialized countries that have universal care.  

Edited by GregS

Lets just BAN all drugs made by pharm companies. No more Claritin for your allergies,no more anything. No more antibiotics, no more insulin,ban em all. Every aspirin you buy is made by pharm companies. Lets put em all out of business,no matter that jobs will be lost and even more people will suffer. And while you're at it,check how much these same companies donate to each political parties PAC Funds. Oil companies too. Everybody on this site,stop taking your RXs  to protest,RIGHT NOW! Lets go to Lansing and throw our prescription bottles at the Capital! So,who will be first to give up all products made by the evil pharm companies?

first they get us addicted to the experimental, mind altering, stomach cramping, death causing "side effects" and the triage effect of using other rx to treat those unwanted symptoms, then lobby against medical marijuana, thrust people into prisons, and surpass the profits of world oil. It is a Prozac Nation(active ingredient =fluoride=bought in china, added to all MI municipal water supply, equal dose regardless of weight. Pharmacists are able to guess the remainder of your rx with just a couple usual suspects. Advertising of drugs on tv in most other countries is illegal, this is the recoup cost they speak of in ours. new world order is scary me thinks.  I expect to be vaporized by a stealth drone before it gets really bad, (??) :yahoo-wave:

• 1 month later...