Worm Farm Pest Or Not

JBotts420

So I've done a lot of reading and still couldn't really find much about what these are. They are small white bugs, they are about the size of the end of a needle and are fast. I first noticed them when I pulled the trays off the stand. I've only seen a few running around in the bins. These are not nematodes or spring tails, they look like some kind of dirt mite or something, when I was turning my dirt around I found a dead worm and seen alot of them on him.

I'm not really to worried about them cuz I am growing organic and insects are gonna be there. Just want to make sure from the little research I have found they might be dirt mite that helps dispose of the dead worms. Ill try and get a picture but they are small.

Yea that's what I figured they were just needed some confirmation on it. Nothing big, all trimmings are chopped up before I put them in the farm.

Yea its doing great worms are nice and active. The bottom bin only has a little newspaper left in it.

Thanks for the fast replys.

hard to say without knowing temps, feed stock, water frequency, and health. A good start would be  pack of a thousand and go from there. A farm with 6+ trays is ideal. My worms(75k+) produce enough to fill a couple 2 gallon pails every week. They can eat a five gallon pail of dried fan leaves every week and a half to do it. The worm tea is the cherry!

I have a 5gallon pail full time bubbling. Every few days I hand water from this bucket, instead of plain water.  I  drain my worm bins of their excess liquids daily, and dump those into the bubbling bucket,  a cup full at a time tops. I keep the bucket topped with fresh water, looks like a really strong iced tea. I don't get off smells surprisingly, and know its because of the worm's strict diet of cannabis only material.

I have dumped it straight in the pots, but feel its a waste. One concentrated cup of it will spike a 5 gallon pail and make visible differences when used to water. I don't see those differences in the mj garden, because that's standard, but when I use it on house plants, herbs, etc. its obvious. The grow stores charge a fortune for the brand worm teas, at about 50 bucks a gallon for organic quality product. it valuable here.

Shazaam ! thanks Wild Bill!

I'd like to add that Molasses is not added for the beneficial feeding of marijuana plants, but instead for the beneficial feeding of microbes in the tea. Molasses poured into plant pots do no good at all in an enclosed room, but can be good in a compost pile.

Also I learned to dry my garden trim first and crumble it in the worms' top feeder bins. Placing fresh greens in the bins could allow mold to flourish in there, and not the kind worms, plants, or lungs like.I keep a "screen" type waste basket at my trimming station. It dries crumbly in about a week in there. Any growing/garden scraps also go in.

Alright, I may very well keep a small squiggly mass of the critters around just so that I might harvest their deuces, with the info provided, I've determined that they do indeed bunny muffin gold....for plants at least.

Edit: so THAT'S what bunny muffin is the censor for! ahaha! Now I feel enlightened.

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

Oh man...so disappointed, not sure if anyone else likes watching any of the ufc or bellator things, but I am disappointed that Cote just won his fight vs. Noke

More on topic though I reckon, as a foliar, how often will I use the liquid gold on my plants?

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

never in flower, and skip the foliar on autos too. nobody wants to smoke worm deuce right.

I'm not suggesting the use of a foliar with your system. on the contrary actually. The benefits are obvious in a few applications,

though, the application will increase the chances of plant issues. I used to foliar feed in the beginning with great results.

I was attempting to match the growth rate in veg of my hydro system, using an organic dirt system. It did accelerate growth, but

who cares really. so I stopped the fuss. I scooped out of my bubbling bucket of tea/water and poured it through a strainer into

a spray bottle. applied in the morning a couple times a week. It would be an interesting approach to a hybrid hydro salts on the roots, with organic technique from above. sounds cool, let me know if it works out.

hey, what kind of worms use you ?

I stopped using newspaper. they get spent dirt, water, rootballs, and dried garden trim.  be sure to keep the tea drained, or leave it open with a bowl. the tea is priceless organic black gold.

I have about 2000 Red worms. When i ordered everything i ordered 2lbs, wanted to be able to have them go through stuff a little faster. 

I also have noticed some spring tails now. not very many just a few jumping around here and there. 

years running with a kabillion worms and twice as many crawling bugs, in ach plant pot, and every worm farm tray, still no issues. I put these bugs under a microscope and watched them eat dead things in the dirt, not live things. They are worrisome for sure, but look around outside, the dirt is full of these types of scary creatures.

good luck

worms have traveled from pot to pot in my trays, which are admittedly "dirty" on the surface the pots rest on. So much so that I often see worms on the surface of the tray at lights on, and they quickly duck back under cover.  The bugs will soon populate all of your soil, recycling guarantees it, your bubbling tea will help spread them too. It may all cave in on me one day because of them, not sure, but so far I see nothing but benefit form these buggers. I read their frass and presence signals roots to create hormones and blah blah, a beneficial plus to organic technique.

farm the soil, those plants know exactly what to do. :hair: