Michigan: Worst State For Veterans

t-pain

heard this on the radio

http://wallethub.com/edu/best-states-for-military-retirees/3915/

michigan ranks 45th in usa for veterans.

guess its nothing new.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/10-worst-states-for-unemployed-9-11-veterans/

Michigan has the highest unemployment rate for 9/11 veterans, for example, and it has one of the highest overall jobless rates, too.

http://wkar.org/post/audit-michigan-department-has-failed-make-sure-veterans-get-maximum-benefits

Michigan has historically ranked among the worst states for how veterans utilize federal benefits. Earlier this year, Governor Rick Snyder created a new agency within the DMVA to address veterans’ issues head-on.

• 1 year later...

Let's face the facts, Michigan is the worst for all of it's citizens across the board.

They only let us stay in the Union so Mississippi has someone to look down on.

Run by Republicans poisoning our water. And Trump says we will vote for an ®. He's a little outa touch with Michigan. We are looking for an overall change, not more of the same. 

Edited by Restorium2

We need to be sure not to overlook the guilty democrats in this matter also. Like the Mayor, Obama's EPA, the city council, etc.

Apparently. Gov Genocide decided to usurp their authority and the will of the citizens and installed an emergency manager.

Rick Snyder owns this mess.

This happened on his watch under his direct authority.

We the People will never forget.

The fknrepublicans are a pox on our house and senate.

It's not to late to save the state...Bernie Sanders 2016

EM (D)  says that the city council(D) and the Mayor(D) had decided to do the dirty deeds before he arrived on the scene. then the Pres(D) EPA(D) covered it up, maybe for the R in office.  The whole basket is corrupt, maybe nothing really to do with D or R when we see both parties fleecing America on a daily basis.

EM (D) says that the city council(D) and the Mayor(D) had decided to do the dirty deeds before he arrived on the scene. then the Pres(D) EPA(D) covered it up, maybe for the R in office. The whole basket is corrupt, maybe nothing really to do with D or R when we see both parties fleecing America on a daily basis.

You know, I would believe the "it's the R and D's fault" argument if my experience didn't tell me differently. It was the Republicans who started the "smaller government = better government" theory under Ronald Reagan. They succeeded in convincing the average dolt that government was their biggest problem. The Republicans then proceeded to dismantle government by underfunding government agencies and then blaming government when the agencies failed to do their job. Genius! Except that you don't really have to be a genius when the people you are trying to snooker are as stupid as barnyard animals.

So,anyway, the only government spending that the Republicans view as okay is military spending and law enforcement (prisons and police) spending - two sides of the same coin. Is it a coincidence that the rise of our police state is correlated to the rise of the Republican party? Remember, for profit prisons are a Republican idea. Republicans want to privatize all government functions. WTF? Effectively ending democracy which I believe may be the ultimate goal of the monied class. It would make things so much easier for them if they didn't have to answer to anyone for their actions.

I think a lot of Democrats caved to the Republicans because it has been so hard to counter Republican propaganda. That may be changing thanks to Donald Trump, but a situation this long in the making will probably take a long time to fix. People just aren't going to smarten up that quickly. I hope Trump wins the nomination. He will turn the Republican party on it's head.

Edited by AmishRnot4ganja

Well, when I dug through the numbers and methodology to come up with this propaganda for veterans I find it to be improperly focused and slanted.  It doesn't really look at the issues properly, weights items differently, and has unreliable statistics being used.

I think veterans are darn near spoiled personally.  I know it isnt popular to say, but when I look closely, I see extensive money and support given to veterans.  The problem is typically more about educating veterans where to get the help. 

The VA is great in Iron Mountain and the veterans do nothing but praise it.  I have extensively worked with veterans and worked with the VA hospital on medical marijuana, ptsd, and helping veterans with addiction problems.

Free school, free healthcare, myriad programs for help, and preferential hiring standards.

I think veterans get a really solid deal.  Also, with partial disability, it is much easier for a veteran to qualify for work related disability than the average American in the SSDI program.

*shrug*

Now I know your full of bunny muffin, there is no VA in the land that is "Working" with anyone espically civilian on anything to do with medical marijuana, they will acknowledge it & talk about it a little bit if you make them but their not working with it at all. I will agree the mental health side of the v a is top notch, but this assistance you speak of is almost unatainable, it's the medical treatment that is indescribably bad. When you say va that encompasses all of the v a, not just the part your familiar with. Reguardless, you should think twice before you ever use the words Vetrans & spoiled in the same sentence

Now I know your full of bunny muffin, there is no VA in the land that is "Working" with anyone espically civilian on anything to do with medical marijuana,

O my, I have.  Fairly extensively actually. And I was sought out specifically for help around the topic of medical marijuana and worked with their mental health professionals to educate them on how cannabis effects veterans with ptsd and other addiction problems. *shrug*  The doctors and psych's cant officially recommend marijuana, but they work with veterans everyday and talk to them about it.  They also dicussed it as a way to lower heroin addiction with me.  Seriously.., *shrug*.

Also, I am not a civilian,. I am a citizen, thank you very much. You can stuff that "civilian" term right up your arse.

I will agree the mental health side of the v a is top notch, but this assistance you speak of is almost unatainable,

I think this from my first post addresses that issue:

The problem is typically more about educating veterans where to get the help. 

Then,...

it's the medical treatment that is indescribably bad.

I 100% totally disagree.  The VA hospital  here is better than any private/publically owned hospital in the entire Upper Peninsula. The veterans will tell you so themselves.

When you say va that encompasses all of the v a, not just the part your familiar with.

Notice in my previous posts  I specifically say the "VA is great" and "worked with the VA hospital".  I get it. 

Reguardless, you should think twice before you ever use the words Vetrans & spoiled in the same sentence

Well, i did.

And yes,.. I will again.

And to get back to some of the actual points,... do you believe Michigan should be penalized in the ranking because it snows here?  Life is worse for veterans because it snows? The poor little veterans cant handle a little snow?

When I look at all the numbers used in this ranking system and discount obviously stupid items like the one mentioned,, it shows Michigan as upper third in healthcare and right in the middle on everything else.

Veterans jobless rates drop to historic lows

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/veterans/2015/09/04/veterans-unemployment-august/71694280/

The unemployment rate for veterans dropped to a seven-year low in August, and the rate for Iraq and Afghanistan war-era veterans fell to the lowest level since federal officials started tracking that population.

The news came the same day that Bureau of Labor Statistics officials announced the national unemployment rate in August had dropped to its lowest level since 2008, before President Obama took office.

Analysts have cautioned against making long-term assumptions based on the monthly figures, but the veterans and national rates for August continue a steady downward trend in the unemployment estimates over the past two years.

BLS officials said the unemployment rate for all veterans fell to 4.2 percent in August, a drop from 4.7 percent a month earlier and from 5.6 percent a year ago. The monthly mark hasn’t been that low since May 2008.

The figure translates into about 450,000 veterans nationwide looking for work. That estimate was over 1 million about four years ago and near 700,000 in early 2014.

Labor Department researchers didn’t begin tracking veterans from the “Gulf War II” era until September 2008, and had never recorded an unemployment rate for that group below 5.0 percent until last month. BLS estimated the August rate to be 4.7 percent, or roughly 134,000 young veterans unable to find work last month.

August was also the third time in the last year that the unemployment rate for younger veterans outpaced the national rate (5.1 percent in August.) The overall veterans rate have been below the national averages for almost four years straight.

White House and congressional officials have made veteran employment a major legislative focus in recent years, enacting a number of transition programs and conducting national campaigns to encourage employers to see veterans as a reliable, adaptable workforce.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/veterans/2015/11/06/veterans-unemployment-october-2015/75286676/

Unemployment among all veterans reached a seven-year low last month, and the jobless rate among Iraq and Afghanistan-era veterans set a new record low in October, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics released Friday.

The announcement continues a run of positive news for both groups in recent years, a stark change from the double-digit unemployment rates for some veterans groups in the early part of the decade.

According to BLS researchers, the overall veterans unemployment rate fell to 3.9 percent in October, down from 4.3 percent in September and from 6.9 percent just two years ago.

The mark is the lowest for veterans seeking work since April 2008, and continues an almost five-year-long streak of the veterans unemployment outpacing the national rate.

The jobless rate among younger veterans has generally stayed above those national numbers, but October marked the third consecutive month that group also saw better employment statistics than the general population.

BLS estimates that 4.6 percent of Iraq and Afghanistan-era veterans seeking work in October could not find employment, the lowest mark since the agency began tracking that population in 2008. The previous low was set in August.

... gratitude? ...or self serving, self righteous indigNation?...   in retrospect it was much worse following the Vietnam conflict so I suppose this might be considered somewhat of an improvement... 

The VA is great in Iron Mountain and the veterans do nothing but praise it.  I have extensively worked with veterans and worked with the VA hospital on medical marijuana, ptsd, and helping veterans with addiction problems.

Free school, free healthcare, myriad programs for help, and preferential hiring standards.

I think veterans get a really solid deal.  Also, with partial disability, it is much easier for a veteran to qualify for work related disability than the average American in the SSDI program.

*shrug*

Free? Can we at least consider that these were much promoted enticements to get someone to 'volunteer' to perform their/our civic responsibilities. Yes it seems like such a great deal...

'till you realize: the only thing you get for free is the parts of you that come off after an ied lites your but up. Because you can't even have them back, like for sentimental reasons or something, sorry...    

O my, I have.  Fairly extensively actually. And I was sought out specifically for help around the topic of medical marijuana and worked with their mental health professionals to educate them on how cannabis effects veterans with ptsd and other addiction problems. *shrug*  The doctors and psych's cant officially recommend marijuana, but they work with veterans everyday and talk to them about it.  They also dicussed it as a way to lower heroin addiction with me.  Seriously.., *shrug*.

Also, I am not a civilian,. I am a citizen, thank you very much. You can stuff that "civilian" term right up your arse.

I think this from my first post addresses that issue:

Then,...

I 100% totally disagree.  The VA hospital  here is better than any private/publically owned hospital in the entire Upper Peninsula. The veterans will tell you so themselves.

Notice in my previous posts  I specifically say the "VA is great" and "worked with the VA hospital".  I get it. 

Well, i did.

And yes,.. I will again.

...a bit testy perhaps? this is common parlance for military initiated individuals to refer to their non indoctrinated counterparts. 

And to get back to some of the actual points,... do you believe Michigan should be penalized in the ranking because it snows here?  Life is worse for veterans because it snows? The poor little veterans cant handle a little snow?

When I look at all the numbers used in this ranking system and discount obviously stupid items like the one mentioned,, it shows Michigan as upper third in healthcare and right in the middle on everything else.=

I must have missed the snow part.  Thinking of some of the realities they have to deal with I don't think weather is much of a concern...  

One of ts' links is a tad dated (2011) although things have not changed that much. imho...

However you try to skew the statistics in favor of your argument, our level of healthcare puts us at 21st, out of 50 states or  42% from the top or if you prefer we did better than 58% of the states. (a third 1/3 is 33%).  'Everything else' was "Quality of Life" 41, of 50 puts us at 82% from the top (or 18% from last, conversely) "Economic Environment" was 40 of 50 that's 80% from the top (conversely, 20% from last). So t may have exagerated a tad, we are not quite the worst, unless of course you live in Flint.  

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/veterans/2015/11/06/veterans-unemployment-october-2015/75286676/

Unemployment among all veterans reached a seven-year low last month, and the jobless rate among Iraq and Afghanistan-era veterans set a new record low in October, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics released Friday.

Again the OP is specifically about MI rankings and these stats are not. They are based on national numbers from a pro-establishment source. 

You didn't fight for me to be able to write this.

The internet was developed by DoD, ARPANET was the seed that spawned the internet. Again perhaps a little gratitude to respect for the 'Force' would not be so hard to swallow...

....peace. 

Edited by solabeirtan

You didn't fight for me to be able to write this.

The internet was developed by DoD, ARPANET was the seed that spawned the internet. Again perhaps a little gratitude to respect for the 'Force' would not be so hard to swallow...

i think he meant you , no matter if you fought in war or peacetime, were not fighting for free speech, but more like nixon's crazy war, or bushs crazy war, or clintons crazy war.

also, you werent there to install or design arpanet , so it wasnt YOU that is responsible for that. right?

maybe he is saying the current veterans shouldnt take credit for the work of previous veterans or even stuff they had nothing to do with?