Topping Plant

thumper56

Can I top a plant while it is flowering without damaging it? 

I have and did not see any damage caused. I suppose at different stages of flowering it could cause different effects. There is a remote possibility that topping in the middle of a flower cycle that it could morph. I have not had a plant do that though. Sometimes I will top off all of the nice buds when they appear to be "ripe" depending on the strain then allow the lower buds to ripen more and then gain more. Sometimes topping can increase potency. Actually stressing the plant can increase potency in my opinion. Depending on the strain, topping during flower could cause you to lose some yield since the buds topped won't be as heavy as they potentially could be.

That is my opinion anyway. I don't see it as being a big issue. I try to avoid it when I can, but will top at any stage of flower if necessary.

"too much stress"  < "too much predisposition to the trait of hermaphrodism" .

I've totally slaughtered girls to prove this to myself. The ones that showed the expression were the weak kneed sexually confused punks, the ones most likely to whine for other reasons like light timer mishap, but other stronger more stable plants wouldn't budge. least that was my experience.

If anyone has a beloved cultivar that has gender confusion Reverse will fix it.

when mine reach the lights,, i bend them over and tie them down.. or just top that particular branch..or top.. or you can bend it till it snaps but not break it off, it will heal and continue growing,, sometimes right back up to the light , however this gives you a week or two to finish them off.. 

When mine stretch too much, I try to avoid topping in the flower room (I will if needed though). I will bend them and tie them back. Sometimes I will drill little holes in my flower pots on the lip of the pot and use them as a tie down spot. Sometimes I will use screws in the wall as place to tie the string or wire, whatever I am using.

I prefer to bend them, I usualy dont touch the ladys once they are in budd!  I actualy have to hide the scissors lmao, I love playing with them in veg but at least 2 weeks before I put them in budd I stop trimming, topping, cloning,

I have cut all of the leafs off about 2 to 3 wks before they should have been done, I wont do that again lmao, I shocked the hell out of them, I got some light to the bottom lil buds and added a little bit there, but not enough to make it worth it.

every one has there lil tricks and things they do with their ladys, mine love t.v so I dont ever shut off my t.v in the office part of my g.r. plus they love me to talk to them, or is it I love to talk to them? bawahahaha, either way I love to grow!

I have seen people who do some trimming in budd and they put a lil vasoline in the lil hole the cutting leaves. they say it stops it from sucking air thru them?!?  I put vasoline on the bottom of my stalks to stop different bugs from going down the plant and into the roots, do I think it works? yea, but im betting alot dont lol!

I have the room to veg longer, if you dont then dont veg as long, I know you said its your 1st grow so congrats!  Id rather have your problem than what a lot of others get on their 1st grow!

Peace