Line Of Jimi Hendrix Marijuana Products Announced

6/13/2015 8:00 AM ET

Nutritional High, a Toronto based company, has secured the rights to manufacture and license "various marijuana and hemp-based edible products using the song titles and bearing the likeness of iconic guitarist Jimi Hendrix," according to a report from CNN.

Nutritional High made a deal with Purple Haze Properties, a firm founded by Hendrix's 67-year-old brother Leon. Experience Hendrix, the official licensor for Hendrix's estate, plans on blocking the move.

"This has nothing to do with Experience Hendrix LLC, the legitimate Hendrix Family-owned entity which administrates intellectual property associated with Jimi Hendrix," said Experience Hendrix spokesman Bob Merlis. "I'm going to forward this notice to them, as they are quite vigorous in enforcing their rights."

For now, Nutritional High is looking forward to the partnership with Purple Haze Properties.

"Jimi Hendrix is one of the most legendary rock guitarists of all time and this partnership should create instant brand recognition for our edible marijuana products by Jimi's fans across North America," said David Posner, CEO of Nutritional High, in a press release.

"Entering into brand partnerships with the world's foremost marijuana-related artists is a core component of our strategy, and we are honored to become part of Jimi's legacy."

I DON'T have any objection to - say - Bob Marley being used in such a commercial venture as he was one of the most outspoken celebrities for the positive uses of cannabis. But as a Hendrix fan, I find this quite distasteful especially because he died of drug related causes (choking on vomit from barbiturates; if you want to debate that fine) and in the publics eye there will be some unavoidable association between his death and the "drugs" that his name will be endorsing. (Plus it just seems like money grubbing by Leon without regard to Jimi's legacy, as opposed to the Marley family who takes great care in how Bob is used in commercial ventures.)

Original article here.

i just find it annoying that every celebrity will have his or her own products coming out. and that each of these will be in the news like its something interesting (its not).

christopher lee bongs? phillip seamore hoffman papers? robin williams roach clips? snoop lion blunt wrappers? tommy chong bongs (too soon?).

bleh. its not news. its not interesting to me at least. but then again i'm not watching kardashians on tv or whatever.

walking through the department store its evident that celebrity branding is here to stay. From Rachel Ray cookware, Gloria Vanderbilt jeans, to Lady Gaga perfume, Donald Trump Steaks and Kayne West video games, the list goes on and on, and has since Howard Staunton style chess pieces from 1849. These endorsements are a part of consumer life for shoppers and here to stay.

I believe the ops post is newsworthy in a cannabis forum. Thank you op, I was unaware of this venture.

I admit I would not have taken the chance and bought my first pack of Bob Marley hemp rolling papers if they were called Quizoo(what?). Glad I did though because they turned out to be quite a contender for first place here, battling hard with RAW.  I do like innovative products, regardless of the endorsements. some might think a popular celebrity would not endorse any but a fine product, and sometimes its true. Other times though, they just have a mortgage payment due.

note: I've never watched the Kardashians or any other show like it. :P

I DON'T have any objection to - say - Bob Marley being used in such a commercial venture as he was one of the most outspoken celebrities for the positive uses of cannabis. But as a Hendrix fan, I find this quite distasteful especially because he died of drug related causes (choking on vomit from barbiturates; if you want to debate that fine) and in the publics eye there will be some unavoidable association between his death and the "drugs" that his name will be endorsing. (Plus it just seems like money grubbing by Leon without regard to Jimi's legacy, as opposed to the Marley family who takes great care in how Bob is used in commercial ventures.)

Original article here.

Hate to break it to you, zachw.  The choked on his own vomit story is a lie.  Jimi was held down and drowned in red wine.  He was already dead when the EMT's got there.  Dr. Bannister worked on his body at the hospital.  Read his comments.  His lungs were full of red wine but there was very little in his blood. 

Leon Hendrix seems cool as helll.  There is a documentary with a lot of Leon talking about Jimi and his music and he was right on with everything he said.  I'm happy the family is in control of the estate and have no problem at all with a line of Jimi medibles.  

Edited by MightyMightyMezz

Hate to break it to you, zachw.  The choked on his own vomit story is a lie.  Jimi was held down and drowned in red wine.  He was already dead when the EMT's got there.  Dr. Bannister worked on his body at the hospital.  Read his comments.  His lungs were full of red wine but there was very little in his blood. 

Leon Hendrix seems cool as helll.  There is a documentary with a lot of Leon talking about Jimi and his music and he was right on with everything he said.  I'm happy the family is in control of the estate and have no problem at all with a line of Jimi medibles.  

Not to turn this into a "was Hendrix murdered?" thread, but Bannister saying that the drowning in wine was "plausible" almost 25 years later - why wasn't anything mentioned at the time? And James Wright claiming that Mike Jeffery told him that he had Hendrix murdered for the insurance money: this was supposedly ONE year after the death but Wright only mentions it 4 decades later before his Rock Roadie book is to be released?? 

The wine story might be true. There was a lot of incompetence surrounding the inquest. But we'll never know for sure. Nevertheless, there will always be a barbiturate association with the death of Jimi, like it or not, and that's my biggest issue with this.

Thanks for clarifying about Leon.

Not to turn this into a "was Hendrix murdered?" thread, but Bannister saying that the drowning in wine was "plausible" almost 25 years later - why wasn't anything mentioned at the time? And James Wright claiming that Mike Jeffery told him that he had Hendrix murdered for the insurance money: this was supposedly ONE year after the death but Wright only mentions it 4 decades later before his Rock Roadie book is to be released?? 

The wine story might be true. There was a lot of incompetence surrounding the inquest. But we'll never know for sure. Nevertheless, there will always be a barbiturate association with the death of Jimi, like it or not, and that's my biggest issue with this.

Thanks for clarifying about Leon.

I've never heard of anyone having copious amounts of red wine in their lungs, let alone having that with hardly any in their blood.  It seems obvious he was forced to drown.  As to why the choked on his own vomit in the ambulance story was propagated back then I would speculate cointelpro.  It was to tarnish his legacy. 

I find it deplorable that persons who did not make the fame, use that fame to make bank off a loved ones blood, sweat and tears.

Often these family members weren't even involved in the famous persons life until after it had ended and they saw the $$ to be had.

It's called exploitation.

I find it deplorable that persons who did not make the fame, use that fame to make bank off a loved ones blood, sweat and tears.

Often these family members weren't even involved in the famous persons life until after it had ended and they saw the $$ to be had.

It's called exploitation.

Leon grew up with Jimi and suffered the hardships with him.  Their mother was estranged and died young, their brother was taken away to an institution, Dad Al Hendrix was destitute and had no idea how to raise them.  Probably no one knew Jimi quite the way Leon did.  The exploitative one is Al's adopted daughter who got Al to write Leon out of his will after Al gained control of Jimi's music in 1995.  Not to mention the lawyer who had control all those years until then.  Imagine being Jimi's brother and seeing these people get everything and give you nothing.  I am so happy for Leon and his children to get some of what should have been theirs all along. 

Edited by MightyMightyMezz

Leon grew up with Jimi and suffered the hardships with him.  Their mother was estranged and died young, their brother was taken away to an institution, Dad Al Hendrix was destitute and had no idea how to raise them.  Probably no one knew Jimi quite the way Leon did.  The exploitative one is Al's adopted daughter who got Al to write Leon out of his will after Al gained control of Jimi's music in 1995.  Not to mention the lawyer who had control all those years until then.  Imagine being Jimi's brother and seeing these people get everything and give you nothing.  I am so happy for Leon and his children to get some of what should have been theirs all along. 

Thanks for the vid.

My issue is not this particular case but rather any family that feels entitled to something they did not create.

I would rather have the family benefit than some corporate entity of course.

The sense of false entitlement of families with a famous family member is what I find mind blowing.

There is a fine line between protecting said name/fame and the $$ it generates from corporate pigs and

family greed and exploitation.  I would come back and haunt my family if they thought they were entitled to

a free ride off what I created.  It's greed, entitlement and exploitation of a persons name who is no longer able

to choose how their name is used.

jm02

Thanks for the vid.

My issue is not this particular case but rather any family that feels entitled to something they did not create.

I would rather have the family benefit than some corporate entity of course.

The sense of false entitlement of families with a famous family member is what I find mind blowing.

There is a fine line between protecting said name/fame and the $$ it generates from corporate pigs and

family greed and exploitation.  I would come back and haunt my family if they thought they were entitled to

a free ride off what I created.  It's greed, entitlement and exploitation of a persons name who is no longer able

to choose how their name is used.

jm02

I mean if it's not about the Hendrix family then why make that statement in this thread, imi?  Leon sure hasn't gotten a free ride in life.  He was old before he got any of his inheritance.  I think if Jimi were to haunt anyone it would be the people who screwed over his little brother. 

To correct my earlier statement, I had meant to say that my issue is not only this particular case,- and is why I am commenting in this thread.

We just feel differently about this and that's okay I hope :)

I certainly don't want to argue with you, I only stated my opinion.

Hendrix was murdered, Elvis didn't die when they said he did, Big pharma is keeping the country sick, airliners leave chemical trails in the sky, phantom time hypotheses make total sense because frankly we don't REALLY 100% know know and at the head of that seat apparently sets some variation of elite, be they Illuminati or reptilian scale-people...think I hit most of the bigger ones?  :bong7bp:

To correct my earlier statement, I had meant to say that my issue is not only this particular case,- and is why I am commenting in this thread.

We just feel differently about this and that's okay I hope :)

I certainly don't want to argue with you, I only stated my opinion.

That's cool.  Hope you don't take it personally that I critiqued your opinion.  Still buds, right?