Autism Vote By Medical Marihuana Review Panel, Friday, July 31 At 1:00 Pm

Multi-talented Michigan attorney Michael Komorn is calling on families of children with autism to attend a crucial vote of the Medical Marihuana Review Panel on July 31st.

The Panel is considering whether to recommend approval of a petition to add autism to the list of medical conditions that can qualify a patient for the use of medical marijuana in Michigan.

Under Michigan’s rigorous standards, a child must obtain two certifications from physicians that the patient may receive palliative care from the application of marijuana medicines.

Komorn is putting his money where his mouth is. For families that have autism and attend the hearing, Komorn is offering to pay the cost of gas and provide a meal.

Komorn first made this offer on The Planet Green Trees Radio Show, of which he is the Host. He is also the leader of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association, the MMMA, and it is in the pages of their website that this latest notice appears.

A previous hearing on the subject ended in adjournment due to a poorly-packed petition, which seemed grossly edited by the Michigan Attorney General‘s office.

From the website:

Next Friday, July 31 is a very important day for the Michigan Medical Marijuana community. The MMMA, along with physicians, lawyers, and families have worked tirelessly for more than a year to add autism as a qualifying condition under the Act, and next Friday is the vote to add or deny autism into the law.

Please attend this vote, particularly if you treat your child with marijuana, to show solidarity with the parents of autistic children and family members that have led this drive. Komorn Law has pledged to compensate food and gas for all families with children that attend.

Just attending the panel meeting can make a huge difference, there are many people with a debilitating condition who cannot make it. If you know someone in Lansing, ask them to attend. Friday is the ideal day to show respectful support that will have a real, meaningful impact on the panel’s vote, and on the futures of these parents and children in need.

I am sure all of you can understand how important this vote is for the families who have children afflicted with autism. I personally would like to believe that with all the hoopla and attention towards legalization lately the patients and families of patients are not lost or overlooked. Medical cannabis is the real deal. For the last 6 years we have all shared together in the miracles of this plant. We have danced on this forum together making history in Michigan as we implement the 2008 voter initiative. The battle continues and the fight is scheduled for July 31. Your appearance will be a strong showing of unity of our medical cannabis community. It will help provide evidence that medical cannabis is real, and safe access for those afflicted with autistism must be the next step for the MMMA.

http://www.theweedblog.com/big-vote-on-autism-and-medical-marijuana-tomorrow-in-michigan/

Edited by bobandtorey

will the first response form Eden please be published here?  If she responds to me I'll show it right here.

I want to know why she voted "NO", denying the autistic sector of our citizenry this  natural relief. I've seen immediate positive

lasting results with the very first dose of cannabis, simply vaporized by an autistic person. Anyone witnessing this for themselves while denying

the relief to others owes me an explanation. 

what truths can we assume the no voters are working with?

IQ and the unknown effects on brain development were cited. That was to be expected. 

What I didn't expect was to hear a comparison of the use of cannabis as a palliative therapy, to the use of opioids as a palliative treatment that has resulted in overdoses and death. 

This was quickly corrected by another panel member, citing no overdoses from cannabis as ever being documented. 

You'd think once being corrected in such a way that you'd let it go. Mrs Wells didn't think so. Instead she stated that if you look at toxicology reports in overdoses resulting in death that marijuana is often present. 

Big mistake. 

This was immediately corrected in terms of association not equating causation, followed by physiological and pharmacological facts that plainly contradict her point. I was so grateful to hear sound rebuttals to the opposition from David Brogren and Dr Crocker. I could barely contain myself in the back of the room. 

I wouldn't hold it against the "no" votes too much. It's possible they might not have had the opportunity to study preclinical research to the extent that many here have. One respectful conversation at a time and we might win them over yet. Until then, leave message on the LARA FB page and send off some emails. This fight isn't over yet!     

Edited by in vivo

• 4 weeks later...

Letter: Medical pot offers hope for autistic children

12:09 a.m. EDT August 25, 2015

B99299358Z.1_20150824151024_000_GAJISE6Q

(Photo: Steve Perez / The Detroit News)

In the United States, and in Michigan, autism is growing. In fact, it is growing at such an alarming rate that it has just recently been identified as a significant public health issue, due to statistics provided by the Center for Disease Control’s Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, a nationwide federal program that tracks autism rates around the country.

Estimates show that autism rates have risen in every report since tracking began in 2002, from 1 in 150 in 2002 to 1 in 68 in 2010. There is not a cure, however, new studies show, autism can be treated.

Some 800 pages of research along with 75 peer review articles on cannabis as a viable option for the treatment of autism were recently gathered by Dr. Christian Bogner, a prominent pediatrician currently in practice with one of Metro Detroit’s largest health systems, and presented to LARA, the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.

This data is part of a new, thoroughly researched petition to add autism to the list of conditions, which can be treated with medical marijuana. On July 31 in Lansing, the Michigan Medical Marijuana Review Panel voted yes to recommending medical cannabis as a legal, permissible treatment for all autistic patients. This would include pediatric and juvenile patients under the age of 18 with approval from two physicians. That recommendation is currently being considered by David Zimmer, director of LARA, a Gov. Rick Snyder appointee. The fate of thousands of autistic children now rests in his hands.

It has been a long and difficult road. Initially, and despite what can only be described as overwhelming evidence, LARA, tasked with addressing petitions for new conditions, initially refused to hold a hearing or even consider the petition. As a result, attorneys Tim Knowlton and myself, the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association, and Cannabis Patients United, sued LARA in Ingham County Court. It was only after nearly a year of litigation and foot dragging that LARA ceded its position. Attorney General Bill Schuette’s office “defended” LARA’s position by delaying for months, only yielding after the petitioner filed her brief with the court, days before oral arguments. Meanwhile, parents are treating their autistic children, typically orally in tandem with olive oil or other edible sources.

Today, we are at a crossroads. A pivotal moment in history.

All too often the issues regarding medical marijuana are politicized. What is at issue here is the right and desire of parents to protect and treat their children, without fear of breaking the law. What would each of us do for our children if similarly afflicted? In particular when there is medicine available that has already proven effective in treating epilepsy and autism? Our families should have choices. Michigan’s parents and their children should have hope.

Michael Komorn, president,

Michigan Medical Marijuana Association

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/2015/08/25/medical-pot-autistic-children/32279201/