Dr Eden Wells And Flint's Poisoned Water

You are right for the immediate fix, of course. Longer term, how can we keep decisions like this from being made? Obviously it depends to some extent on the specifics, but generally, there is a severe moral hazard created by the EMs, which cannot be rationalized away.

In my opinion there was some sort of 'spite' between the Detroit and Flint water science people otherwise they would have shared the knowledge about the orthophosphate freely. Flint should have asked Detroit for their recipe at the least. I followed this on the local news all along. There was a lot of information handed out along the way that a lot of folks might have missed. Like how the water was tested a bunch of times as it left the plant. It's all documented and there was no lead in it as it left the plant. 

typical jackazzedness, fully expected  from a troll such as yourself. you are welcome to block the view of any of my posts, but I suggest you drink of the frustration you feel when someone is trolling you...HAHAHA !  get used to it troll. you've been fed!

I have family involved and you are just a joker without a clue. Such is the internet, full of pretender idiots disrupting any true flow of real knowledge. 

With family involved, I understand why you must focus on the immediate here-and-now of the fix, but there is a larger policy that has failed here that should be discussed simultaneously.

Sure, but people need to know the facts first. Start at the real source of the lead for one thing, otherwise the liability will never be assessed. For instance, if you want to erroneously blame it on the Flint River, rather than the treatment, you will never pin this on anyone. It will just be a muddied up mess like the people who did this would want. You need to focus on the true source of the problem, the paid experts that provided the recipe and performed the treatment, and expand the liability out from there, otherwise it's just a bunch of people pointing fingers in different directions. 

Edited by Restorium2

Flint River creates tidal wave in upcoming mayoral race. Less than 3 weeks till election. 

Genesee Co Inmates forced to suck Flint River sludge. After tests done by MDEQ showed elevated lead levels in their water, sheriff Robert Pickel found an 'independent' lab that showed him results he could use to justify poisoning inmates at the GCJ. Hey whatever it takes. It's not our fault they're in here, I need a f job and a paycheck. ?  wtf? 

Genesee Co Inmates forced to suck Flint River sludge. After tests done by MDEQ showed elevated lead levels in their water, sheriff Robert Pickel found an 'independent' lab that showed him results he could use to justify poisoning inmates at the GCJ. Hey whatever it takes. It's not our fault they're in here, I need a f job and a paycheck. ?  wtf?

what is this the middle ages?

anyone test for lead at the govt buildings?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was watching the Rachel Maddow Show tonight as she presented Flints' unfortunate situation to the rest of the Nation. She did a commendable job of indicting Michigans' hooligan Governor  on a range of issues from suspending the democratic process to the poisoning of an entire city. Here's some of the show, in case you missed it....

Dr. Mona

Lead Poisoned Children trigger Emergency

Snyder Implicated...

Edited by solabeirtan

It is all government, not just one single party to place blame on.

I am done with finger pointing to individual parties, with the exception of one, my middle finger to all of them. Our government as a whole has failed the people.

Obama and Bush are perfect examples. Each equally screwed our country and led us into the dumps. We are not getting out of it, it is game over. Do the math. Mathematically speaking, we are screwed.

The blame equally goes to both parties. I surely cannot imagine our country surviving Hilary Clinton. Not putting down the dems, just saying we are screwed. The finger pointing needs to be to all parties. Singling out one party is foolish. The government as a whole is corrupt, period.

With all due respect, Dems have zero power in Lansing, clearly you forget this little inconvenient fact... Just what did Obama do to even remotely compare him to Bushs war folly or his economic meltdown, over spending, or give always to the rich... Your statements of supposed facts are skewed to reflect your inherent bias....

Too much temptation, too much power, too much politics and political correctness. Anyone who gets sucked in is a victim, brainwashed.

This is my opinion and apologize if I have offended anyone. I am disgusted with the way our country has been run for the last 16 years, even longer.

Moving back to Michigan soon, my Dad recommended looking for health stats when considering where to live(it's been 20+ years since leaving the mitten)...

So

:geek:

I am just gonna leave this here

http://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-73970_2944---,00.html

If you can believe any statistics compiled by the Michigan state government.

It is notable that Darnell Earley is the attorney involved in drafting and pushing Snyder's agenda. He was the City Attorney in Saginaw in 2009 and drafted the anti cannabis moratorium that we shot down then, was appointed Snyder's Flint Emergency Manager in November of 2013, and Detroit Public Schools Emergency Manager in January of 2015. I remember talking with one of the Saginaw Commissioners who had been station manager at WNEM (can't bring his name to mind right now) and told him he should find a different City Attorney, at which point he told me he had had conversations with other Commissioners about the same. He is an idiot. Everything he touches turns to schit.

Edited by GregS

• 2 weeks later...

Well just in case you haven't heard Tricky Rick had declared a State of Emergency Teusday, the same day it came to the attention of the Feds... alas the Feds are getting involved now. Here's some interesting coverage by one of the most persistent news people in the business. Kudos to Rachel Maddow. Also a few other national networks are providing coverage as well  several other relevant music and movie icons are expressing there feelings like Cher via twitter, Michael Moore... as the rage against the machine intensifies.

Here is some of  Rachels' recent coverage  beginning with Jan 4 where she specifically mentions the difficulty in obtaining any information through Rickies FOI policies.

Calls for the Federal Probe as well the MI FOI stonewall Jan 4, 2016

Volunteers donate and distribute water Jan 4, 2016

State of Emergency draws Federal Scrutiny Jan 6, 2015

Snyders' Blown Off email  Jan 6, 2015

Edited by solabeirtan

Flint is a huge mess and has been for about 50 years.  When my family moved to Flint in the 1960s, Flint was one of the richest cities, per capita, in the world.  Some of the wealthiest men of their time (Billy Durant, Charles Stewart Mott) made their fortune in Flint, while still managing to provide high-paying jobs, livable wages, to thousands of unskilled workers - so much so that GM was building homes for new workers and importing folks by the bus-load from the south to work in local factories.

When the Mott Foundation was formed in 1926 (by Charles Stewart Mott), it had the biggest endowment of any foundation in the world.  Today, the foundation is still worth about $2.6 billion.

Flint was once the cradle of manufacturing innovation and entrepreneurship for the world. 

Albert Champion was another leader and started AC Spark Plug in Flint (later bought by GM).  AC Spark Plug, later AC-Rochester, and then AC-Delco had a huge industrial complex on Flint's east side.  Today, the complex is now just flat land, about 200 acres of former productive industrial property. 

Buick is another story.  GM convinced the powers-that-were, at the time, to build the I-475 loop through Flint in the early 70s to facilitate the transport of Buicks.  The Buick facility (facilities) were almost perfectly vertically integrated.  Buick had a foundry to make differential casings, engine blocks, and transmission casings.  Buick also had plants to make valves, pistons, rings, connecting rods, bearings, internal transmission parts, and just about every other component of the Buick, except the steering gear, which was manufactured at the Saginaw Steering Gear plant at I-75/M-46. 

Buick's shining achievement was the 3800 V6 engine (built entirely in Flint).  This engine was initially installed in the LeSabre in about 1987 and later in the Regal and other models and has been proven to be bullet-proof - and later used in other GM platforms (Pontiac Bonneville, Chevy Impala, etc.)  I still know a few people who bought a Buick in the late 80s or early 1990s and are still driving the car with 300,000+ miles.

And who can forget the utter failure of Autoworld?  About $100million invested in a jenky theme park that pretty much noone would ever visit even once, let alone a few times?

Now, the entire Autoworld property is demolished down to ground-level, and is (and has been for many years) just a parking lot for Um-Flint.  A $100million failure with an added $25million demolition cost.

And Buick City is about 200 acres of property, now void of any development or economic value.  It's chilling to stand at the north end of the former Buick City property and have an unobstructed view to downtown, about two miles away. 

In the late 70s, Flint had about 70,000 manufacturing jobs (well-paying manufacturing jobs - with no education needed, health benefits, and a solid retirement plan).  Today, that number is down to about 7,000. 

Some of my friends are older folks who did their 30 years at GM.  Not easy work...the assembly line takes its toll so they have all kinds of aches and pains, bad backs, and respiratory issues.  Still, their pension is about $3600/month with a solid health-care plan.  Most of these folks are married couples who moved to Florida or Arizona and took their combined $7,200/month retirement with them.

Flint is a dying town.  No way around it. 

Bad water seems to be among the least of Flint's issues.