Topical Salve - Im Now A Believer But Have Questions

GG,

did you know there is a company that adds the essential oil dlimonene to their cannabis oil for vaporization?

(Ingredients: PureGold cannabinoid oil, 5% Limonene, gelatin )

Its a powerful solvent/terpene/essential oil/fda approved flavor additive. It's an important part of organic IPM techniques, candy flavor, industrial cleaner additive, etc. I was intrigued by the information available concerning the human organ interactions and tried this myself. I'm able to use the terpene to facilitate a cannabis extraction using no other solvent. I can also remove most of the solvent in an enclosed unit using 100f heat(except for about 5% oddly)

Unfortunately I enjoy the taste of pure cannabis more than lemon flavored, but the whole blood/brain barrier thing is spot on with this one... I suspect lots of enjoyment out there. No idea but I bet its already in the prefilled nico tanks too.   have you any experience with dlimonene?

Can't say that I have had any direct experience with dlimonene. I have only read about it.

"But I am not clear on what the properties are that could be reducing the inflammation"

CBD has been shown to initiate apoptosis (programmed cell suicide) in immune cells that mediate inflammation by interacting with vannilloid and cb2 receptors on T cells. There is a bit more to it, but thats a simplified explaination. More info here http://www.google.com/patents/US20090005461

Edited by Lucidus

I see most posters here use alcohol solvents or similar. I found a great research paper showing that olive oil extraction preserves significantly more of the terpenes, which get evaporated off during the solvent evap step during an etoh extraction. Terpenes have been suggested to be important to the analgesic and anti inflammatory properties of cannabis, and show a synergistic effect in combination with cbd.

I havent tried an extraction myself yet, but when I do I plan to attempt the olive oil extraction. It seems significantly easier and safer than extraction with organic solvents, and to retain more of the desired terpenes. Has anyone else used that method?

Source: cannabis oil: chemical evaluation of an upcoming cannabis-based medicine, authors romano and hazekamp. Article found here http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/en_2013_01_1.pdf

I see most posters here use alcohol solvents or similar. I found a great research paper showing that olive oil extraction preserves significantly more of the terpenes, which get evaporated off during the solvent evap step during an etoh extraction. Terpenes have been suggested to be important to the analgesic and anti inflammatory properties of cannabis, and show a synergistic effect in combination with cbd.

I havent tried an extraction myself yet, but when I do I plan to attempt the olive oil extraction. It seems significantly easier and safer than extraction with organic solvents, and to retain more of the desired terpenes. Has anyone else used that method?

Source: cannabis oil: chemical evaluation of an upcoming cannabis-based medicine, authors romano and hazekamp. Article found here http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/en_2013_01_1.pdf

My own attempt at doing an olive oil extraction per that paper didn't work out well. It's a simple method and was done properly using decent shake but the jar of oil is still in the fridge a year later because it didn't do diddly squat. There is also a limit to how much oil infused cannabis one can consume and what kind of recipes will work, so for medibles I still prefer extracts with butter.  

Butter and gentle heating works great for the beginner. Great point about the amount needed. You need so little it's not hard to get what you need even if you used some gentle heating.

One thing to keep in mind; If it was not in your cannabis to begin with, extraction isn't going to magically invent some cannabinoids out of a barren sample.

i made budder once, ididnt like the flavor. if you are going to try making an olive oil extraction, try a small batch to see if you can handle the flavor...

this is coming from someone who eats raw dried marijuana buds for the last 4 years. so its not like i have problems with the taste of plain marijuana.

then i made caramels with the budder because i was hoping the flavor would go away. nope.

i made budder once, ididnt like the flavor. if you are going to try making an olive oil extraction, try a small batch to see if you can handle the flavor...

this is coming from someone who eats raw dried marijuana buds for the last 4 years. so its not like i have problems with the taste of plain marijuana.

then i made caramels with the budder because i was hoping the flavor would go away. nope.

That's why we use alcohol extractions because it's so potent you only need to use a tiny amount of oil that is virtually tasteless in the recipe. 

Yes. PB was not happy about it. There was no good reason to withhold a simple blend of readily available and naturally occurring substances from sick people.

I sent the recipe to someone in a personal message not too long ago. Peanut Butter got wind of it and sent me a message demanding $25 for stealing his intellectual property. He used to have the recipe posted all over the web but as far as I can see he deleted it from all the forums.

I sent the recipe to someone in a personal message not too long ago. Peanut Butter got wind of it and sent me a message demanding $25 for stealing his intellectual property. He used to have the recipe posted all over the web but as far as I can see he deleted it from all the forums.

LOL!!

You do have to admit PB does have a decent oil product. At least a nice base to add concentrates and other stuff to.

I must say, he was bullied into posting the recipe here.  After he posted it, I copied it to another forum! It has had at least 200,000 views since ;).

I have found much better recipes, pretty much for free, written by licensed professionals to boot. All one needs to do is go to the local library and look into books on herbology and essential oils. They are full of recipes for many different conditions and ailments. Recipes that can be tailored to each individuals needs. These books can also be purchased. Heck, you can buy a book for less than $20 and receive hundreds of recipes, written by professionals who are experienced. 

I have a mixture that I keep for certain issues. It has many different essential oils along with some of my naturally decacrbed concentrate. I would not sell it for anything. I only have about 6 ml left. The sad part is, I didn't write down the recipe, but I do know the ingredients. It will take a bit before I figure the exact amounts of each. I find that to be very difficult.

All in all, PB's recipe is not all about the ingredients. It has more to do with the ratio of each substance that matters. I did not see him release that detail, only what he used in it.

• 3 years later...

I have grown a few MMJ plants. I have made dry ice hash out of the trim by shaking the trim up in a bucket with dry ice to break off the trichomes and then sifted it through a 160 micron pollen bag. I want to make a salve using Emu Oil and the hash. I have over 5 grams of the hash which is nearly 100% pure and have decarbed it at 240F for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Most recipes say to boil your trim in coconut oil (a medium chain triglyceride good for absorbing the CBD/THC/terpines off the green plant material) and then mixing the coconut oil with Emu oil and then bees wax to stiffen it up into a salve consistency. I believe Emu Oil is a triglyceride but not sure if it is a medium chain triglyceride that is good for dissolving everything into a homogeneous mixture. Can I skip the whole coconut oil infusion step and use straight Emu Oil from better transfer through the skin? Do I need to boil my decarbed trichomes in the Emu Oil to make it work? If so, at what temperature and for how long? Does someone have a better way of making a healing salve with my trim? Looking for relief for arthritis. 

Edited by KingKola

4 minutes ago, KingKola said:

I am grown a few MMJ plants. I have made dry ice hash out of the trim by shaking the trim up in a bucket with dry ice to break off the trichomes and sift it through a 160 micron pollen bag. I want to make a salve with it using Emu Oil. I have over 5 grams of the hash which is nearly 100% pure and have decarbed it already at 240F for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Most recipes say to boil trim in coconut oil (a medium chain triglyceride good for absorbing the CBD/THC/terpines off the green plant material) and then mixing the coconut oil with Emu oil and then bees wax to stiffen it up into a salve consistency. I believe Emu Oil is a triglyceride but not sure if it is a medium chain triglyceride. Can I skip the whole coconut oil infusion step for better absorption through the skin using just Emu Oil? Do I need to boil the decarbed trichomes from the Dry Ice Hash into the Emu Oil to make it dissolve into the Emu oil? If so, at what temperature and for how long? Does someone have a better way of making a healing salve with my trim?

Just mix the hash with the emu oil and you are done. You didn't have to decarb for a topical salve. 

Thanks Restorium2... So just mix the hash with emu oil at room temperature and it is done. That makes it so simple. Then the only reason I would want to bring it up to temperature at this point would be to add bees wax to make it a salve consistency at room temperature, correct?

Oh, I thought CBD-A & THC-A versus CBD & THC (after the decarb) have different healing effects. Not true?

1 hour ago, KingKola said:

Thanks Restorium2... So just mix the hash with emu oil at room temperature and it is done. That makes it so simple. Then the only reason I would want to bring it up to temperature at this point would be to add bees wax to make it a salve consistency at room temperature, correct?

Oh, I thought CBD-A & THC-A versus CBD & THC (after the decarb) have different healing effects. Not true?

For a salve you would want all the cannabinoids so your extraction method wasn't the best for this. Next time do a slow warm alcohol extraction. 

1 minute ago, mishigami bear said:

How warm (room temperature?) and how slow?

Like a coffee maker, the ISO2 percolates the alcohol through the cannabis until you have all the cannabinoids. So it washes at the temp that alcohol boils. I wash until the cannabis is straw color. Then I have it all. Perfect for a salve.