Why Is The Thc Percentage Important At All?

I am not a fan of testing mandates, but I am a fan of testing to learn more about the plant and what is in it and how those elements works synergistically to create an effect for the individuals using it.

ISO certified Act Labs is the best in Michigan for this.

The THC percentage appears to not be as much of a factor in overall effect- including how psychoactive that people describe it was for them.

Sometimes something with 9-10% will floor people- sometimes a flower tested at 20+ % is not as strong in that regard.

I was surprised to hear that value for the flower is still based on the THC content - in some places.

If you ever want to see how deep testing can go check out Sativex research. Makes the testing we can afford look like children playing with toys.

gwph can only do testing and stuff on the plants. i dont think they are allowed to do human tests. which means any product they make has to be tested by hospitals and university research. that limits them incredibly from any novel discoveries.

in essence, they are just chasing medical marijuana anecdotal evidence and forming human trials based on peoples' facebook posts. it would be amazing if in the future we could look at legalized states health reports and see patterns where marijuana is making a difference.

i've read some of the research on sativex, and gwpharma's research. they are in the same boat we are all in. all they can find out is what strains make more cbg or cbn. they can figure out when in the plant's lifespan it have more cbg/cbn/cbc. they can or will probably figure out how to isolate every individual cannabinoid for future research.

after all its just a matter of taking the raw material and throwing it in a centerfuge or hitting it with some emulsifyer and then filtering out the different chemicals based on weights.

they can figure out what soils are useful. they can figure out the light hours and the optimal light spectrums. they can figure out pest resistance, cannabinoid production genes, etc.

they can figure all of this out, and yet, still miss the forest for the trees.

because no matter what anyone tells you, there is no way to tell

a) how much of any % of any cannabinoid will help with any particular symptom.

a2) which combination of cannabinoids works best

and even if by some miracle they figured those out,

b) each person reacts differently to the same joint/bong hit.

eventually what i'm guessing they will find is the most homogenized product that helps over 50% of whatever disease and then they will market that. after all , gw is a product maker, not a human research company.

their product (sativex / epidiolex) will be the velveeta of marijuana. it will come in a fancy package and have good marketing. but it wont stand up against real cheese (rso). it will help people, they might even figure out how to counteract the thc effects (if that baloney about CBD is true, i highly doubt cbd reduces the psycho effects of thc). but theres not really any incentive for them to reduce non lethal side effects.

some people say velveeta is a cheese. those people are wrong. maybe i'm wrong. am i making sense?

gwph can only do testing and stuff on the plants. i dont think they are allowed to do human tests. which means any product they make has to be tested by hospitals and university research. that limits them incredibly from any novel discoveries.

in essence, they are just chasing medical marijuana anecdotal evidence and forming human trials based on peoples' facebook posts. it would be amazing if in the future we could look at legalized states health reports and see patterns where marijuana is making a difference.

i've read some of the research on sativex, and gwpharma's research. they are in the same boat we are all in. all they can find out is what strains make more cbg or cbn. they can figure out when in the plant's lifespan it have more cbg/cbn/cbc. they can or will probably figure out how to isolate every individual cannabinoid for future research.

after all its just a matter of taking the raw material and throwing it in a centerfuge or hitting it with some emulsifyer and then filtering out the different chemicals based on weights.

they can figure out what soils are useful. they can figure out the light hours and the optimal light spectrums. they can figure out pest resistance, cannabinoid production genes, etc.

eventually what i'm guessing they will find is the most homogenized product that helps over 50% of whatever disease and then they will market that. after all , gw is a product maker, not a human research company.

their product (sativex / epidiolex) will be the velveeta of marijuana. it will come in a fancy package and have good marketing. but it wont stand up against real cheese (rso). it will help people, they might even figure out how to counteract the thc effects (if that baloney about CBD is true, i highly doubt cbd reduces the psycho effects of thc). but theres not really any incentive for them to reduce non lethal side effects.

some people say velveeta is a cheese. those people are wrong. maybe i'm wrong. am i making sense?

http://www.gwpharm.com/clinical-trials.aspx

CBD does counter the psycho effects of THC, I'm not sure about synthetic or isolated but it works in plant extracts for me with my underlying psych problems that are exacerbated by THC.

• 3 weeks later...

regardless of ups and downs this thread is thought inspiring and necessary. Thank you. These are my considerations currently:unsure:

Cannabis can affect different people in different ways on different days ✔

THC is not the deciding factor for quality or potency ✔

Some connoisseurs keep records of test results as a baseline for further assumptions and conclusions(breeding, culturing, etc) ✔

Everyone has a right to have their cannabis tested if they please ✔

Nobody should support mandatory testing for private medical marijuana exchanges between CG and patients ✔

Commercial sellers/cannabis sold to the public should be regarded as fresh produce and held to the same rules possibly✔

Farmers market settings do not provide testing of anything sold. nothing should change if cannabis is there.✔

THC % is important today because it has become part of breeders' intent and erroneously touted as THE marker of quality to a large population of users worldwide.

Some of us know better but its fun to see the numbers too. Without a doubt I experience completely different effects each from the few ridiculously high in THC varieties I keep. Each time the experience is the same. its not pleasurable for me, but others insist. Who am I to question or care. This high thc % has become a marker of cannabis I wont enjoy, as anything I've used with claims as high as Ghost Train/Moonshine Haze has spun me the like. I did give these to a lab twice to see for myself. I only named them by number and the results were in line with breeder claims, as well as other results I saw online from different labs. They were not identical of course but they all showed a remarkably high THC % in the strains. This is important to me and others when deciding breeding choices, desired effects etc, even if its anecdotal and means nothing to some. Its proven a useful tool in the industry for a long time, I'd hate to abolish it and would appreciate if labs came back here and could discuss things with us.

my2pennies

we used to have a member that did testing here,,,,,,He was pretty much ran out of here just for wanting to offer people testing!

I have no problem with people that want to test their strains, but I dont want to be forced to do it!

post-7930-0-72734100-1415979010_thumb.jpg

Peace

• 2 months later...

anyone else think the numbers are bogus?

what does 30% thc look like? i mean, its supposed to be by weight measurement right?

we are not talking about 30% thc out of other cannabinoids?

so 1/3rd of the bud tested is thc? i do not believe it. looks like mostly dried flower to me. more like 90% dried flower and a bit of thc on the outside. right ?

i thought most of the plant was thca in the first place and you had to decarb it to get thc?

so High Pressure Liquid Chromatograph does not heat the sample.

while Gas Chromatography-mass spectrometry does heat the sample.

http://www.canorml.org/RingTestOShaughnessys_Aut11.pdf

For unknown reasons, labs using GC generally

reported higher readings for THC and CBD than labs using

HPLC. For GC, the THC measurements for samples F and

G averaged 42% to 46% higher than for HPLC, while CBD

measurements were 20% to 33% higher. Theoretically,

there should have been no discrepancies between GC and

HPLC analysis.

going to edit this with more info too.

http://liq.wa.gov/publications/Marijuana/BOTEC%20reports/1c-Testing-for-Psychoactive-Agents-Final.pdf

interesting.

n  raw,  fresh  plant  material,  THC-­-A  represents  the  vast  majority  (80  –  99%)  of  total  THC  .

(Total  THC  is  a  term  frequently  used  on  cannabis  labels  in  the  gray  market,  as  a  convenient

term  to  describe  the  combination  of  psychoactive  THC  molecules  and  not-­-yet  psychoactive

THC-­-A  molecules.)  

The  rate  at  which  decarboxylation  converts  THC-­-A  to  THC  is  variable  and  less  than

100%  efficient.  Even  under  ideal  temperature  conditions,  the  end  product  (THC)

represents  at  most  a  70%  conversion  of  the  original  THC-­-A,  and  the  remainder  breaks

down  into  a  number  of  other  insignificant  byproducts.  

anyone else think the numbers are bogus?

what does 30% thc look like? i mean, its supposed to be by weight measurement right?

we are not talking about 30% thc out of other cannabinoids?

so 1/3rd of the bud tested is thc? i do not believe it. looks like mostly dried flower to me. more like 90% dried flower and a bit of thc on the outside. right ?

i thought most of the plant was thca in the first place and you had to decarb it to get thc?

so High Pressure Liquid Chromatograph does not heat the sample.

while Gas Chromatography-mass spectrometry does heat the sample.

http://www.canorml.org/RingTestOShaughnessys_Aut11.pdf

For unknown reasons, labs using GC generally

reported higher readings for THC and CBD than labs using

HPLC. For GC, the THC measurements for samples F and

G averaged 42% to 46% higher than for HPLC, while CBD

measurements were 20% to 33% higher. Theoretically,

there should have been no discrepancies between GC and

HPLC analysis.

going to edit this with more info too.

That was for alcohol extracts.  GC and HPLC weren't meant to be stuffed with cookie dough or pizza or alcohol.  The best way to estimate medibles is to know how much oil u  used and the levels in that oil.

As for the 30%THC, that depends upon the testing and the softness of the vegetative material. THC is also inside the bud not just on the outside. The only way to reach 30% is to make sure your bud is dry as possible and decarbed if possible so that the carboxyl group and all the moisture is gone leaving to add more bud to the sample to compensate.  Think about it, if your bud is 30% wet weight are you able to see all the moisture? Some trichomes are heavier than the veg weight so that if you seperated it all your veg pile would be much larger than your kief pile even being the same weight.  My super snow ballz looks like an oz when i put a 1/4 into a baggie.  And it's not even below 9% wet weight.  Make it 2% wet weight and it would be 7% bigger.

source? everything i've read says thc (and all of the other cannabinoids) are all in the resin heads on the outside of the flowers on the trichome heads.

trichome-graphic-copy-1024x1024.jpg

Where does it say it's on the outside of the bud and what is the outside?  I have grown sativas I can see thru and the trichomes cover the calyx' of which there is no "inside of the bud".  Just calyx' that are covered on the outside which also make up the "inside" of the bud.  Are you sure they weren't saying that they were on the outside of the calyx'?  Break open a bud.  Tell me if it's just vegetative material in there without any trichomes.  There are also different types of trichomes.

Even easier.  Scrape off the outside of a bud and smoke the rest and tell me if you get high? I'm talking about outside the veg material.  On the outside of every calyx is trichomes.  I can take a bud apart calyx by calyx and every teardrop is covered in trichomes.

I think we may be using terms differently.  A bud is like a head of cauliflower.  it has a lot of it's surface area inside the head not just on the outside of the head that you can see.  If it was like a baseball I could see that 30% weight wouldn't add up as the surface area is the only outside for any trichs to grow on.  But when you peel apart a cauliflower and see that the surface area is much larger than what you see on the "outside" just looking at it and all that area can be covered with trichs.  This adds up to a lot more weight per flower since it's "inside" or found throughout the whole bud, yet still only on the surface of calyx' and leaves.

Edited by Norby

^ however, some believe positive effects come from consuming spent material, after the "active ingredients have been removed.
when I use this I do feel effects, not the kind I need though, similar to oxygen deprivation to me, displacing your lungs with burning dried leaves. when I make essential oils the green leaves of my cannabis do provide something, some waxs or something, and they do taste good too.

everything green is worthless though.

That seems to me to be exactly why cannabinoid content matters. Maybe that's different than what you're referring to, but with most chemotypes in circulation THC percentage and cannabinoid content seem synonymous. I haven't been having quantitative analysis performed lately, but I'd rather get a 24% return than a 15% from a cls. That's my "no nonsense testing". At the same time the keepers I've run with the lowest returns seem to (anecdotally) have the highest percentages of monoterpenes. Almost like a trade off. I could see growing particular chemotypes for cannabinoids and others for terpenes with the intent of combining them, but that's future talk and THC percentage is likely still going to play a major role in the effect of those mixtures, imo. 

trichs on trichs ftw :judge: