Canceled Insurance

PFC Stone

Here is the Reader's  Digest Version...Just before the new year we had a sump pump quit in the basement and had some water damage. Filed a claim, adjuster came out, and no problem. Claim isn't even settled yet but they dropped all coverage due to my legal garden. Any recourse or advice.

well i'd sue, but i must ask, how are they connected.. Do you drain to sump? On the other side you were covered at that time. so they still should have to pay unless,, and thats a big one.. they can prove it was your fault. like IDK leaves plugged up and burned out the pump.. and im just being a devils advocate.

I wouldnt let them get away with it, sue big time if you think your in the right. There's a lawyer out there that will jump on it. but ya know, its gonna cost ya . Good luck brother, you are being wronged.  

MIght be easier after they pay your claim, you just get another insurance company, and before you sign, ask them cough the truth to them,, if your not running co2 or flame, what could  be the problem. Then again I dont know never had that bridge to cross.And find out why they cancelled your insurance, they must have a reason. Try to get it on paper..

Edited by Willy

That's kinda how I felt Willy! 

I play by the rules, weights, counts, locked doors, proper transport, thousands of dollars in new electrics, legal card holder/cg and on and on and then this after jumping thru hoops. Straight BS!

I received the Notice of Cancellation today.

It says, REASON FOR CANCELLATION:  "Information has been received that was not known when the policy was originally issued. A Medical Marijuana Growing operation is located on the premises which creates a substantial change in risk that is unacceptable."

They will pay the claim but will drop coverage on 3/2/16. My garden has nothing to do with the sump. I hand water my few plants and no runoff.

Since they are paying on your claim I would think that they are within their rights to refuse to renew.  I would question whether they can just wholesale cancel the policy prior to its expiring.

I can understand their not renewing.  For example, they may have concerns about indoor gardening causing elevated humidity and possible mold issues.   Also they may be concerned about fire issues.   Or, perhaps in the case of Peanut Butter, they may be concerned you might blow up the house with butane.  

I have a friend who is a caregiver and patient who screwed up the wiring and set the place on fire.  In this case AAA paid but told him in writing they would not cover any future issues related to the indoor garden.  They actually were trying to not pay at all initially.   They claimed he had a homebased business and since it was not identified on his policy they would not pay.   He got his patient to provide him with a notarized letter stating she was not paying him for the meds and he was able to convince AAA that growing was not a business.

Edited by semicaregiver

King Diamond - Auto Owners

Semicaregiver - I'll check the right to renew scenario? No butane here. Ice and water ONLY!

T-Pain - Yup! Probably on the blacklist. What now? Full disclosure up front, sub-par insurance or just outright expensive insurance?

Malamute - I sure did fail to inform them prior.

Does anybody know of a quality insurance company that would write a policy if disclosed. I'm not going to stop growing but I must be hyper-vigilant about everything concerning the garden...more so now. My agent did say if I quit growing they would keep me. Decisions decisions.

hey PFC Stone.

sorry they are messing with you.

several years ago before i switched my policy to USAA (military discount is unbeatable) i had State Farm and when i told them about my home grow she asked her underwriters and they said they would cover all the equipment but not the plants. the agent was my friend and i had a policy there for many many many years before i asked.  the branch i used to go to closed...

i think if i am not mistaken you and i live in the same county...opposite ends.. but pretty close.

i did not tell USAA about my grow yet out of fear they may not want to cover me and they are ridiculously cost effective and i dont want to lose my coverage.

if you are a military vet you may want to give USAA a call...

if you decide to mention your grow please let me know what they say :)

i cant seem to find the other mmma insurance rulings.

mostly i think they had to do with the homeowner not disclosing the garden , then there was a fire started by the garden, so the ins company wouldnt cover it because they didnt disclose that they were running the garden indoors.

so as long as you disclose it you should be ok.

seems weird your insurance will drop you instead of just adjusting your risk ...

Here is the Reader's  Digest Version...Just before the new year we had a sump pump quit in the basement and had some water damage. Filed a claim, adjuster came out, and no problem. Claim isn't even settled yet but they dropped all coverage due to my legal garden. Any recourse or advice.

Always have a way to deny you grow cannabis. Be able to lock the door or move it for any situation. I had an adjuster ask me about the skunk smell. I told them that there are skunks around here. Looked him right in the eye because we both knew the truth. They have to prove it. If they didn't see it they can't prove it. If the grow didn't cause the problem they can't deny your claim. 

So full upfront honesty is not the only way to go. 

The agent told me if I quit growing or was willing to move the grow to a rental space, which I laughed at, they would insure me. So if I lie to them about the grow and continue my current coverage

and all is well if/until a claim is made due to anything garden related and the property is a total loss...now what, No home, no clothes, no money...I don't like that choice at all! Having said that, I hear

you loud and clear!

The agent told me if I quit growing or was willing to move the grow to a rental space, which I laughed at, they would insure me. So if I lie to them about the grow and continue my current coverage

and all is well if/until a claim is made due to anything garden related and the property is a total loss...now what, No home, no clothes, no money...I don't like that choice at all! Having said that, I hear

you loud and clear!

Make sure your grow isn't going to be the thing that causes you a total loss. Use your imagination. You can make your grow safe enough so it's not going to be the reason you had a total loss. I think that's the best answer because then you also don't have to worry about your house burning down while you are sleeping. Insurance is not going to make you safer. 

I'm doing just that. Making my room as safe as I possibly can. Someday soon fire supression will be added. I added 125 amp service box for my grow, I use a lighting controller

with high heat shut off, cords managed, room cleaned, ballast on the wall outside the room, carry and hand water the room, no butane extraction, no ovens, etc...ad naseum!

The part about being within plant counts and weights is reassuring if LEO were to be notified of my totally legal and sanctioned caregiver/patient garden.

Edited by PFC Stone

I am no electrician and I had it wired by a certified electrician. I just said I wanted to be able to plug anything in any of these existing plugs that if I wanted I could. AC and AC upgrades, etc...

Probably overkill but I like safer, which brings be back to how angry one may get when playing by all the rules they set and doing the safe thing in construction and processes.

how much flammable stuff in your grow? carpets? curtains? clothing? wood paneling?

are your ballasts suspended in air or secured to non flammable shelf?

wires are properly rated and not warm?

fire extinguisher? smoke alarm?

I have 1 flower room and it is 14 x 18. 16 plants at various stages. Nothing flammable, no carpet or drapes, no clothes or paneling - all drywall.

Non-flammable shelf and wires are good. No fire extinguisher but several smoke alarms.

I have 1 flower room and it is 14 x 18. 16 plants at various stages. Nothing flammable, no carpet or drapes, no clothes or paneling - all drywall.

Non-flammable shelf and wires are good. No fire extinguisher but several smoke alarms.

You need a few fire extinguishers around your house. More important than insurance.

You need a few fire extinguishers around your house. More important than insurance.

thanks resto.

we are just trying to help you and other patients and caregivers. :)

fire extinguishers for everyone! and make sure they are in the green! not expired. and check your fire alarm batteries once in a while too.

Kick a guy when he is down...I see how it is! :crazysmile: