Is Cannabis In Its Raw Form An Option?

Greetings from northern Michigan,

Unable to deal with the effects that prescription pain medicine have on my system my wife and I are seeking alternatives to help me cope with my ailments.

After researching my options she and I thought cannabis oil may be a viable solution.

Smoking is not an option and from what I understand the oils are illegal.

I would like to get the maximum benefit from cannabis and keep my usage legal.

So the question that I have for you is what would happen if I just eat it from its unmolested state.

Sounds kind of crude but would I get the full benefits if I were to say pour a little honey on a bud and just swallow it?

Any direction would be very helpful.

Thanks so much,

I would like to get the maximum benefit from cannabis and keep my usage legal.

So the question that I have for you is what would happen if I just eat it from its unmolested state.

i eat plain raw dried marijuana buds as my main intake method. a piece of bud the size of a peanut m&m works for 12 hours, for me, on average. i have eaten too much and got too dizzy before, so take it easy depending on the strength of your bud.

i mostly eat bud in the evening/night as it sometimes can give me couchlock or sleepyness. make sure you dont have to be anywhere the first few times you eat bud. one time i didnt feel any effects until it hit me the next morning. over 6 hour delay in onset of effects. i woke up feeling super stoned.

i chew the bud up into very fine particles, then drink with water. usually i can feel the effects (numbness, warming sensation, kind of tingling) in my mouth before swallowing. onset is usually 10-30 minutes.

my buds are fully decarbed by time, not heated. but i've heard you can put buds in an oven at 200+F or use a food dehydrator to decarb.

some people here have reported that eating raw buds upsets their stomach or tongue. so also take that into consideration.

if you do decide to try this, try a few different methods. e.g. eat it without heating it. eat it after heating it for 200F for 30 mins, eat it after heating at 250F for 1 hour etc and let us know the results. write down approx how big of a piece you ate as well.

Greetings from northern Michigan,

Unable to deal with the effects that prescription pain medicine have on my system my wife and I are seeking alternatives to help me cope with my ailments.

After researching my options she and I thought cannabis oil may be a viable solution.

Smoking is not an option and from what I understand the oils are illegal.

Smoking is not an option, but what about vaporizing?

Edited by zachw

upset tummy. like I ate one of those battery powered wiggling animals. knots yes. no vomiting, but heavy nausea.

now when nutribullet it the feeling is psychosomatic and I don't even know if that works. may be those little spikes on the leaves not sure.

I do know I am not the only person to experience this, just one of the brave to mention it.  Crappy feelings are crappy feelings and suck. I avoid eating it fresh.

I admit my dismay when listing/recalling the cannabis use negatives I've encountered.

ginger does work for stomach upset, but no thanks, I don't want to play the big pharma "side effect" cover up, I'll just not eat raw fresh cannabis is all. no biggy, I don't need to love it or eat it. 

I always did eat some fatty stuff when I ate  cannabis, like a habit. (ie take with food) Even when its in my drink there is fat, when cooked , in fat, but mostly I enjoy it eaten in my hot drink so far. I guess it could even be the fat with the cannabis, as I don't recall eating mj without fat......eh boy...back to the drawing board...not, I don like the spicy taste of raw anyways..but the organic greens might have been a boon to my health otherwise.

Smoking, vaporizing, dabbing are all very enjoyable to me too.

Depends.  For pain relief I prefer capsules filled with dried, decarbed, and finely ground flowers.  But some folks love raw bud and whole plant juice.  A good friend is still fond of sauteing some bud in butter and adding honey; he calls it a "mudslide".

I am very thankful for all of the insight from everyone.

Since I’m not looking to get high would decarboxylating be necessary?

I am looking to get the most of the healing properties into my system.

While doing researching on the decarboxylating process I found a lot of different methodes. What methods have you people had success with?

Thanks so much,

i eat plain raw dried marijuana buds as my main intake method. a piece of bud the size of a peanut m&m works for 12 hours, for me, on average. i have eaten too much and got too dizzy before, so take it easy depending on the strength of your bud.

i mostly eat bud in the evening/night as it sometimes can give me couchlock or sleepyness. make sure you dont have to be anywhere the first few times you eat bud. one time i didnt feel any effects until it hit me the next morning. over 6 hour delay in onset of effects. i woke up feeling super stoned.

i chew the bud up into very fine particles, then drink with water. usually i can feel the effects (numbness, warming sensation, kind of tingling) in my mouth before swallowing. onset is usually 10-30 minutes.

my buds are fully decarbed by time, not heated. but i've heard you can put buds in an oven at 200+F or use a food dehydrator to decarb.

some people here have reported that eating raw buds upsets their stomach or tongue. so also take that into consideration.

if you do decide to try this, try a few different methods. e.g. eat it without heating it. eat it after heating it for 200F for 30 mins, eat it after heating at 250F for 1 hour etc and let us know the results. write down approx how big of a piece you ate as well.

Last night I eat a bud about the size of the end of your little finger.

A little head buzz but helped with the pain a great deal.

Be careful with dosage amount if you decarb the cannabis. Decarbing increases potency exponentially.

Do you mean more of a head buzz or increasing the medical benefits?

Do they make pens to put the buds in?

Try some bhang. It's a drink made with fresh leaves and flowers.

http://oldtimemeds.blogspot.com/2014_02_01_archive.html

Thanks for the link.

This has been popular as of late.. might work out for you..

http://www.medicaljane.com/2013/01/19/cannabis-the-foundation-of-health/

Thank you for the link. I plan on trying the juice as well

I have experienced severe nausea eating dried buds in capsules.

I wonder now if I ate them on an empty stomach... w/ with out fats...

I don't recall.

I chop up my fan leaves when I prune and add them to my salad, or

a stew or chicken dishes... greens is greens right :)  They taste kind

of peppery to me.

@the OP

They do make vape pens for buds.  Check out GrowGoddess' Blog

on Vaping... lots of great information there.

I'll tell you my experience with decarbed bud.

I made some cannabis butter without decarbing the bud. It was ok but I decided to try the same recipe using described bud. I believe I cooked the ground up bud in the oven at 200-225 degrees for 30 minutes before using it to make cannabutter. The cookies I made with UN-decarbed bud would give me a nice buzz if I ate 1/3 -1/2 a cookie. It was a head and body buzz - kind of light but quite manageable.

I made a batch of cookies using the decarbed cannabutter. I licked the spoon and the bowl I used to mix the cookie dough. I probably consumed the equivalent of 1/4-1/3 of a standard size cookie. Two hours later I was practically immobilized. Unable to function. Incommunicado. It lasted for 8 hours. I did not find it to be a pleasant experience. Most of the people who tried the cookies did not enjoy the experience either. I gave all the cookies to a hard core couple who said they liked them. Go figure.

Anyway, I no longer decarb my bud before making cannabutter. Your experience may vary. Proceed with caution.

If you want the mental health affects, yes and no.  If you needed sedation for sleep, yes, you would want to overdecarb.  If you want stimulating slight effects then no, you'd want freshly dried buds soaked in alcohol or you would want to kief them or make oil by a method that uses no heat.  If you just want the antiinflammatory properties throughout the body and not for brain inflammation then no you don't want to decarb.  But you want buds as freshly dried as possible.  MJ decarbs naturally over time by exposure to heat, oxygen and light( I think).  If you got fresh dried buds and vaccum sealed them and kept them cool in the dark they would stay from being decarbed the longest.  Making hash would also preserve kief better since it would be compressed and only the surface would be exposed to air.

So depending on what health benefits you want you could always go with hi CBD.  CBD has hundreds of times the anti inflammatory properties of aspirin while THC is about 20x that of aspirin.  Both have different  health benefits and they share some similar benefits.  It'd be good to look up each cannabinoid to see which better fits your needs. If not I'd suggest decarbed CBD and non decarbed THC.  The decarbed CBD will counteract any anxiety from what THC gets past the blood brain barrier and also mitigates the munchies, amongst other things.

I would NOT make cookies or brownies or anything like that nor would I make butter by boiling it if you don't want it decarbed.  You can soak in alcohol or olive oil for a week or so.  Getting a pollen sifter is perfect for what you want.  All you do is shake off the trichomes this way you have most of the medicinal content extracted with the least processing and heat.  You could make cannabutter with the leftovers and see how the remnants treat you when cooked.  But considering your goal I'd not use any heat.  you could add kief to coconut oil and make chocolates.  Or you could add flour and honey and make tootsie rolls.  Or you could add the kief to cocnut oil and just put it in capsules.  Any no bake preperation will keep you as close as you can get to what you want.  And if you hit a dispense or frmrs mkt make sure you don't purchase last years outdoor.  Make sure it's as fresh as you can get it.

For decarbing, if you were interested, I bought a magic chef convection oven for $30 which works better than any old oven and probably most new.  It's glass and has an electric element on the lid with a fan.  Stays probably within 5f of what it's set for and has a timer.

Do they make pens to put the buds in?

They make portable vaporizers to put buds in, sure. But most pen sized devices do some combustion as well and so aren't purely vaporizers. Magic Flight Box is small and stealthy, if that's what you're interested in.

Good place for checking out further (besides here) is fuckcombustion.com

Edited by zachw