Why Pharma Companies Are Fighting Legal Marijuana

http://thenationalmarijuananews.com/2016/07/one-striking-chart-shows-why-pharma-companies-are-fighting-legal-marijuana/

"There’s a body of research showing that painkiller abuse and overdose are lower in states with medical marijuana laws. These studies have generally assumed that when medical marijuana is available, pain patients are increasingly choosing pot over powerful and deadly prescription narcotics."

"They (researchers) found that, in the 17 states with a medical-marijuana law in place by 2013, prescriptions for painkillers and other classes of drugs fell sharply compared with states that did not have a medical-marijuana law. The drops were quite significant: In medical-marijuana states, the average doctor prescribed 265 fewer doses of antidepressants each year, 486 fewer doses of seizure medication, 541 fewer anti-nausea doses and 562 fewer doses of anti-anxiety medication."

post-35077-0-39496000-1468509358_thumb.png

My neighbor is male, 68 years of age with glaucoma.  I asked him if he had ever considered medical cannabis,

his reply was so negative, I dropped the subject.  Due to the fact he lives 5 doors down from me and we only

chat in passing... I don't need him knowing anything about my being a med pt.  This is one of those 'keep

it quiet keep it safe' situations. My natural instinct was to offer him information of course, self preservation

prevented it unfortunately.  Some folks may be unreachable due to this type of scenario.

I do not understand his mindset, or anyone for that matter who will not look at new information that could

very well improve their health and well being.  Anti cannabis propaganda still deeply ingrained even with

all the 'new' information in the main stream, some will never accept it sadly.

amazing how brain washed that generation can be must of been paying attention at the dare class in elementary school.  They chose to sufer instead of homeopathic remedy that actually works.   ie Stockholm syndrome.   i bet he has a picture of nancy and ronnie above the mantle with there dare t shirts on.   Do you hear us now big pharma

Who needs science when you have profits and greed. The main active ingredient in cannabis (THC) has been labeled as a schedule III drug for years, yet cannabis remains without any medical use in schedule I. In fact, the other chemicals in cannabis such as CBD limit the intoxicating effects of THC, making it less ‘dangerous’ and offering additional therapeutic uses. You could always approach someone about Marinol or Dronabinol instead, which will make them question what they have been told about cannabis.

Big pharma doesn’t care about curing people though, they only care about getting as many people hooked on their drugs as possible. In most cases, they are simply glorified drug dealers who pay to play. Very few companies take efforts to make their drugs easily affordable, to research better drugs rather than competing ones or to limit addiction and abuse. That doesn’t go to say that some drugs are not crucial for life-saving treatments, just that a lot of drugs are not being properly tested or distributed. Would a drug dealer want you to stop buying their expensive drugs due to an alternative you could grow yourself? Of course not.

Edited by Alphabob

My neighbor is male, 68 years of age with glaucoma.  I asked him if he had ever considered medical cannabis,

his reply was so negative, I dropped the subject.  Due to the fact he lives 5 doors down from me and we only

chat in passing... I don't need him knowing anything about my being a med pt.  This is one of those 'keep

it quiet keep it safe' situations. My natural instinct was to offer him information of course, self preservation

prevented it unfortunately.  Some folks may be unreachable due to this type of scenario.

I do not understand his mindset, or anyone for that matter who will not look at new information that could

very well improve their health and well being.  Anti cannabis propaganda still deeply ingrained even with

yep, while they still slurp down margarine, top their pies with cool whip, line their baskets with soda's,  you cant teach an old dog new tricks they say. I think there comes a time when it just isnt worth the effort.  sorry for his curable eye pain, foolish sap.

imagine if people stopped running to the ER for every feeling they have. imagine if we took responsibility for our own diets. imagine if we all grew our own foods for each other.  Imagine if people didnt say "they say that about everything" when they're warned about bad food and drug choices. Imagine if big pharma stocks were not a huge part of their retirement package incomes.

imagine no forced medications like flourides and vaccines in our country. Imagine chicken farmers getting their feed from a field instead of Pfizer Drugs. Imagine if antibiotics were not used just to bulk up cattle. Imagine if those practices were not accepted by us.......  I imagine some drug companies would close down then.

Let's not forget that this is what some of these pharma companies are fighting for (addiction)... though it's not like we can just stop making so many pills without sending people off to heroin at this point. Not all drugs are bad, cannabis for example seems just fine. Cannabis is a composition of chemicals, just like any other drug; chemicals that interact with cell receptors.

FDA and others are just corrupt, and have allowed bad medicine to take the lives of over one hundred thousand individuals with opioids alone. We've banned a crucial medicine of which there is significant evidence for its potential in treating opioid addiction and chronic pain, all while making any medical research into it illegal. Yet it isn't the mass murderers who purported this fraud that are in prison, but the victimless 'criminals' just trying to treat their medical conditions or the addictions forced upon them.

Opioid Deaths:

Year    Pharma    Heroin      Total        Change
1999    4030        1960        5990    
2000    4400        1842        6242        +4.2%
2001    5528        1779        7307        +17.1%
2002    7456        2089        9545        +30.6%
2003    8517        2080        10597      +11.0%
2004    9857        1878        11735      +10.7%
2005    10928      2009        12937      +10.2%
2006    13723      2088        15811      +22.2%
2007    14408      2399        16807      +6.3%
2008    14800      3041        17841      +6.2% 
2009    15597      3278        18875      +5.8%
2010    16651      3036        19687      +4.3%
2011    16917      4397        21314      +8.2%
2012    16007      5925        21932      +2.9%
2013    16235      8257        24492      +11.7%
2014    18893      10574      29467      +20.3%
2015    25317      13683      38999      +32.3%        Prelim.   <-- Massive Fentanyl spike

187,748 additional deaths if the rate from 1999 had stayed constant. This wasn't even the start of the opioid epidemic, which began in the early 1990's.

Edited by Alphabob

I have not had a vaccine since i was 8 when i went to live with my father in rural arkansas,no flu vaccines or anything of the like. My wife, mom, sibblings all get sick with the flu every year almost. Me, have not been sick in almost a decade, not including alergies from pollen around early spring, but even that, i have not experienced in the last few years.

I do however suffer from gastroparesis, or at least that is the initial diagnosis. I get tired and eventually vomit everything i have eaten, if i eat anything proccessed. Microwavables, fast food, long frozen food from restuarants, candy etc. even a single soft taco from tcb equals sick until i remove it from my body. Home cooked chicken, vegetables etc, perfectly fine.

My opinion, vaccines are a joke, the people i know close to me, including my mom, that all get vaccines are the sickest people i know.

amazing how brain washed that generation can be must of been paying attention at the dare class in elementary school.  They chose to sufer instead of homeopathic remedy that actually works.   ie Stockholm syndrome.   i bet he has a picture of nancy and ronnie above the mantle with there dare t shirts on.   Do you hear us now big pharma

Homeopathy ( i/ˌhoʊmiˈɒpəθi/) is a system of alternative medicine created in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann based on his doctrine of like cures like (similia similibus curentur), a claim that a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people would cure similar symptoms in sick people.

I dont think cannabis falls into homeopathic realm, as a little or alot of cannabis doesnt cause symptoms of disease while curing others.

holistic may be right.

peace

env_pestpolio_ddt45-53.gif

"Even during the peak epidemics, unifactorial poliovirus infection, resulting in long-term paralysis, was a low-incidence disease[2] that was falsely represented as a rampant and violent crippler by Basil O’Connor’s “March Of Dimes” advertising campaigns. At the same time as Basil O’Connor was pulling in 45 million dollars a year to fund the Salk vaccine development, scientists started to realize that other viruses like Coxsackie, echo and enteroviruses, could also cause polio.  They also discussed the fact that lead, arsenic, DDT, and other commonly-used neurotoxins, could identically mimic the lesions of polio. During the great epidemics in the United States, the pathology called polio was reversed by alternative medical doctors who attested to great success, using detoxification procedures available at the time – yet they were categorically ignored[3].

Now it is admitted in the medical literature that other viruses can cause polio, yet few people on the street have any idea.

Prior to 1954, the following undoubtedly hid behind the name “poliomyelitis”: Transverse Myelitis, viral or “aseptic” meningitis, Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS)- (what Franklin Delano Roosevelt had)[4], Chinese Paralytic syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, epidemic cholera, cholera morbus, spinal meningitis, spinal apoplexy, inhibitory palsy, intermittent fever, famine fever, worm fever, bilious remittent fever, ergotism, post-polio syndrome, acute flaccid paralysis(AFP).

Included under the umbrella term “Acute Flaccid Paralysis” are Poliomyelitis, Transverse Myelitis, Guillain-Barré syndrome, enteroviral encephalopathy, traumatic neuritis, Reye’s syndrome etc.

Before you believe that polio has been eradicated, have a look at this graph of AFP and Polio. If you are wondering why there is no data prior to 1996, go to the WHO website for AFP and you will see that there is no data prior to 1996, and note that AFP conitnues to rise in 2011. Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) is just another name for what would have been called polio in 1955, and is used to describe a sudden onset of paralysis. It is the most common sign of acute polio, and used for surveillance during polio outbreaks. AFP is also associated with a number of other pathogenic agents including enteroviruses, echoviruses, and adenoviruses, among others. But in 1955, there was no attempt to detect anything other than polio in cases of AFP. Once the vaccine was mass marketed, the game changed.   Having “efficacy” means an antibody response is generated, not that they keep you from getting sick. There are many other ways to keep children healthy other than injecting them with disease matter, chemicals, animal DNA, animal proteins, detergents and surfactants that inflame and weaken the blood brain barrier, potentially causing inflammation and other problems."

bunch of bold faced liars !

have you been herd?

Edited by grassmatch

Jenny McCarthy is your rebuttal?

Don't make yourself look dumber than you already have gm.

I could take the time to rip that entire piece apart as either BS, or misplaced emphasis.

It really isn't worth the time.

I thought this info was available years before she was born?

Good for you that attacking my dumbness(ad hominem"?) is easier , or at least "worth the time" for you , more than proving the article wrong.

good luck with your personal choice, whatever it may be. If your personal choice works for you and yours..... I wont call you dumb, attack your integrity, or think of you any dumber than you may be, I promise. :)

but hey, thanks for the insult, shows great depth.

now, on to "rebuttal". I said "imagine no forced medication or vaccines". tpain said "Polio". I say, yep, IMAGINE THERE IS NO FORCED VACCINES, EVEN POLIO ONES."   Forced might be the word one may focus on if serious.

I found this info years ago and posted for thought. forced medication may be acceptable to you and yours, but may not be to others, you know the dumb and even dumber ones?

Edited by grassmatch

If you cant see the BS when you read what you posted, you really need to work on your analytical deduction skills.

That  odd propaganda is about as relevant as NIDA marijuana studies are.

" Some diseases can mimic polio(even though a simple test shows if the virus is present), so lets show stuff that is kinda like polio, yet isn't, and make it sound all scary. Also, did you know the polio vaccine which fights the polio virus doesn't seem to work against these other diseases that aren't polio"

I mean seriously?

Just back on topic, I totally support opioids.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with them when used properly.

And if you have never been in so much pain for so long that you needed opioids or you would just shoot yourself in the head to get out of that much pain; then goody for you.  Marijuana does nothing for that kind of pain unfortunately. We need all of the drugs and more.

:-)

If you cant see the BS when you read what you posted, you really need to work on your analytical deduction skills.

That  odd propaganda is about as relevant as NIDA marijuana studies are.

" Some diseases can mimic polio(even though a simple test shows if the virus is present), so lets show stuff that is kinda like polio, yet isn't, and make it sound all scary. Also, did you know the polio vaccine which fights the polio virus doesn't seem to work against these other diseases that aren't polio"

I mean seriously?

much of what is posted here is moo poo, in the eye of the beholders of course. But you are missing the point. here, I'll point it out once again.  FORCED MEDICATION.   I posted some info that points to pergamum362 fears being possibly sound ones. I said only vaccines-- they (some) are forced on children and adults. thats it, forced medication. 

if you want to talk to me about forced medications then start a thread, I'll return the troll favor.  the fda has an awesome chat group that supports forced medicating and vaccination efficacy. Those are enlightening discussions on vaccine efficacy, check it out some time.

Just back on topic, I totally support opioids.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with them when used properly.

And if you have never been in so much pain for so long that you needed opioids or you would just shoot yourself in the head to get out of that much pain; then goody for you.  Marijuana does nothing for that kind of pain unfortunately. We need all of the drugs and more.

:-)

Since I've been in that situation for nearly a year now I'd agree with you. However, there are two areas that FDA has screwed up on. Drugs like Fentanyl should not be on the market because the window for therapeutic dosing before death is way too small. Over the last few years there has been a drastic spike in Fentanyl related overdoses. From 2014 to 2015 many large cities saw a 100%-300% increase in deaths.

Drugs like oxy's should also not be prescribed for chronic pain, because at some point they will become ineffective and the patients will start seeking stronger drugs or higher doses. Unless you are dying from cancer, there is really no need to be on these powerful opioids long-term. Nerve pain is probably the leading cause of severe chronic pain and there are several non-narcotic medications available such as Lyrica (nerve-blocker) or weak opioids including Tramadol. The FDA isn't solely responsible for this epidemic because Purdue Pharma had the leading role; FDA was complicit in the fraud nonetheless and I've learned to research drugs before taking them.

Purdue Pharma: Corporate Fraud With a Body Count

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathleen-frydl/purdue-pharma-corporate-f_b_9877236.html

All the major features of Purdue’s handling of OxyContin conform to similar acts of corporate fraud perpetrated in recent years: it encompasses not only what the company did (lie to generate profit), but what government regulatory agencies failed to do (detect and expose those lies), as well as the absence of any serious legal or other penalties imposed on Purdue Pharma as a result (a $634.5 million fine on a drug that has earned it $31 billion in revenue, or 2 percent of earnings).

‘A description of hell’: OxyContin makers downplayed addiction, hyped effectiveness

https://www.rt.com/usa/342143-oxycontin-12hour-deception-addicition/

OxyContin is widely blamed for setting off an opioid abuse epidemic that has claimed over 199,000 lives in the US since 1999. In 2007, the company and three top executives pleaded guilty to fraud for downplaying the drug’s risks of addiction, and were ordered to pay $635 million in fines.

The FDA approved Purdue’s application for OxyContin in 1995. Dr. Curtis Wright, who led the agency’s review of the drug, declined to comment for the LA Times article. He left the FDA shortly after OxyContin’s approval and, within two years, was working for Purdue in new product development, the Times reported, citing his sworn testimony from a 2006 lawsuit.

Edited by Alphabob

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, "Reefer Madness"  still exists !! My 79 yr old parents at least have their eyes & minds open Today. :)  The older generation is slowly coming around; I know, some never will unfortunately. 

Best to All :)