Local Zoning Law Question

Dizledot

It can be very difficult and many times impossible. 

You cant just pop up an Industrial zone in the middle of an R-1 residential area.

p.s.  Bribery can help sometimes... :-)

I was thinking more of rezoning a commercially zoned property to agricultural or industrial. There is not much around it but a couple of businesses, grass,  and trees.

Does anyone have any experience with getting property rezoned. Is that an easy thing to do?

What you can do is get a variance. You ask the township or city for a variance and then they have a meeting and also ask adjacent property owners to weigh in on what their thoughts are as to granting permission for the variance. 

Like if you wanted to put a detail shop on residential property, you would ask for a variance. 

What you can do is get a variance. You ask the township or city for a variance and then they have a meeting and also ask adjacent property owners to weigh in on what their thoughts are as to granting permission for the variance. 

Like if you wanted to put a detail shop on residential property, you would ask for a variance. 

Thank you. Hopefully it'll work because I am buying the property from the adjacent property owner,and they know my intentions with the building.

Edited by keyring86

Thank you. Hopefully it'll work because I am buying the property from the adjacent property owner,and they know my intentions with the building.

You think it's a good thing to go around to property owners telling them your intentions before you have any idea of what the future holds for this? Seems like you are stamped on your forehead now BIG MARIJUANA GROWER. It might be exciting but I don't think it's a good idea. The best way to go is use a real estate search engine to search for a property that is zoned appropriately and wait for the rules to get formed. Keep it on the down low. Then swoop down on it with your well made plan while your keep your mouth shut in the mean time. 

who gets conspiracy to manufacture and deliver marijuana charges anyway? really, only a few people a year.

I think the threat is more from desperate people looking for your grow and killing you for it. Give them an idea that you are some sort of mega grower and they will come for you. Just stay 'the little guy' and no one thinks they will get rich from you. They pass you by. 

The only real threat is people telling on each other, based on what I've seen over the past 7 years. Secondary concern is grow theft. Both of these are usually former partners/employees, not strangers.

Well I make sure everyone who knows I grow knows I never have that many plants or surplus supply around. And I NEVER do any big deals like what got those guys killed in Owosso.  They can go ahead and 'tell on me'. I think my rep is what keeps me safe. I'm a waste of time for criminals and cops. That's what has kept me safe for decades. I'm not the droid they want.

You think it's a good thing to go around to property owners telling them your intentions before you have any idea of what the future holds for this? Seems like you are stamped on your forehead now BIG MARIJUANA GROWER. It might be exciting but I don't think it's a good idea. The best way to go is use a real estate search engine to search for a property that is zoned appropriately and wait for the rules to get formed. Keep it on the down low. Then swoop down on it with your well made plan while your keep your mouth shut in the mean time.

The building already meets the current zoning requirements for that municipality. So the SELLERS advertised it for that purpose. Also I can't really get someone to sign a contingent offer if I don't give the reason. I really like the building and the location. Didn't wanna pass it up.

The building already meets the current zoning requirements for that municipality. So the SELLERS advertised it for that purpose. Also I can't really get someone to sign a contingent offer if I don't give the reason. I really like the building and the location. Didn't wanna pass it up.

That would be a red flag.

I disagree that the Owosso murders were because of marijuana. Craigslist killings are crimes of opportunity, and happen with all sorts of different types of ads. Check out the article below, it doesn't mention marijuana once in 101 Craigslist murders documented prior to January 11, 2016:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/01/11/think-twice-before-answering-that-ad-101-killers-have-found-victims-on-craigslist/?utm_term=.463bf73c4a3e

Basically, the central quote says it all:

Not that the murders were because of marijuana. It was because of the size of the score in the minds of the murderers. It's not what you have it's what they think you have and how easily they can turn that into cash. My point was to stay small and don't pretend you are going big. Be the little guy. A lot of cops think the same way, it's not what you did it's what they can take. 

I'm not that worried about it. They're old and have been trying to get rid of the building for a while. They had someone else inquire about turning it into a grow,so they researched

It also could be just a scam to smoke out a grower and their grow. It doesn't take that much of an imagination to think up these plans or spot them. An ad for a warehouse marijuana grow space is a red flag for a lot of reasons. The FBI could have seen the ad too. Every single crook that sees that ad will take a ride past that building in the future to see whats up there with the warehouse grow. It's a 'mark' now.

It also could be just a scam to smoke out a grower and their grow. It doesn't take that much of an imagination to think up these plans or spot them. An ad for a warehouse marijuana grow space is a red flag for a lot of reasons. The FBI could have seen the ad too. Every single crook that sees that ad will take a ride past that building in the future to see whats up there with the warehouse grow. It's a 'mark' now.

I'm not that worried about it. I'm getting a state license to grow there

Maybe it's different in other parts of the state but if you are around Ann Arbor go park in front of a dispensary and count how many patients enter in one hour. I believe I've heard the average customer spends about $50 each visit. I assure you there is a lot of money being spent.

Now take into account that when rec goes thru in 2018 the number of customers will likely increase quite a bit and in order to have the best shot at a rec license you would want to already have a medical license and I think you can see why one might want to "throw away some money",

Why do you think they will have favourability?

@shiska

As far as med license to rec license? It seems to be the way it has went in other states. I could be completely wrong about that however. And I thought I read that language in the mpp petition, again I could be wrong and I'm sure you will correct me if I am.