Milegalize / Mpp / Mcc First Draft Language Released

bax

For comparison, here is the similar section from the MMMAct. It was done as "Findings;Declaration" in the MMMAct, whereas they went with "Intent" (which is fine and proper) instead:

333.26422 Findings, declaration.

2. Findings.

MMMAct

Sec. 2. The people of the State of Michigan find and declare that:

(a) Modern medical research, including as found by the National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine in a March 1999 report, has discovered beneficial uses for marihuana in treating or alleviating the pain, nausea, and other symptoms associated with a variety of debilitating medical conditions.

(b) Data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation Uniform Crime Reports and the Compendium of Federal Justice Statistics show that approximately 99 out of every 100 marihuana arrests in the United States are made under state law, rather than under federal law. Consequently, changing state law will have the practical effect of protecting from arrest the vast majority of seriously ill people who have a medical need to use marihuana.

© Although federal law currently prohibits any use of marihuana except under very limited circumstances, states are not required to enforce federal law or prosecute people for engaging in activities prohibited by federal law. The laws of Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Washington do not penalize the medical use and cultivation of marihuana. Michigan joins in this effort for the health and welfare of its citizens.

And just for an easy comparison, this is from the first draft of the legalization initiative:

Sec. 2.          The purpose of this act is to make marihuana legal for adults 21 years of age or older and to control the production and distribution of marihuana under a system that licenses, regulates, and taxes the businesses involved. The intent is to remove the production and distribution of marihuana from the illicit market; prevent revenue generated from commerce in marihuana from going to criminal enterprises or gangs; prevent the distribution of marihuana to persons under 21 years of age; prevent the diversion of marihuana to illicit markets; ensure safety of marihuana and marihuanainfused products; prevent adverse public health consequences; and ensure security of marihuana establishments. To the fullest extent possible, this act shall be interpreted in accordance with the purpose and intent set forth in this section.  

We can avoid a million problems with even a few changes.

Heh, I even laugh at myself sometimes.  I have said that a million times and made it happen many many times.  It is so true, just a few changes here and there can make a ton of difference. The tone is all wrong in Section 2. It creates a "bad" feeling about what else is to be read. It corrupts a good thing with negative energy. You can accomplish the same general concepts in a way more positive and forward looking manner.

Yes, as I was reading it, all I could think is "the intent is all wrong here." It smacks you in the face from the beginning.

It smacks of, "Good people don't smoke marijuana."

Is that what's in style already? This isn't 'our people' writing this law. This is the opposition writing this law. I will have no part in promoting it. In fact, in the current form, I would expend a lot of time pointing out the 'wrongness' because THAT is the right thing to do for marijuana and the people who use it. 

Edited by Restorium2

Win, lose, or drawn, the wording matters in a propaganda war. 

I would rather see some great wording that gets zero votes than pejorative wording that wins votes. I don't want those kind of votes. We can do without them. We don't need the stinking haters placated. We need them to sit their arses down and shut the f up. 

My best advice in how to get a suggestion considered is ALWAYS to not just point out the problem, any idiot can do that, but to give them a solution.  That is how you get what ya want.

SO, what I would do if I were any of you is,  take their format as is:

Sec. 2.          The purpose of this act is to make marihuana legal for adults 21 years of age or older and to control the production and distribution of marihuana under a system that licenses, regulates, and taxes the businesses involved. The intent is to remove the production and distribution of marihuana from the illicit market; prevent revenue generated from commerce in marihuana from going to criminal enterprises or gangs; prevent the distribution of marihuana to persons under 21 years of age; prevent the diversion of marihuana to illicit markets; ensure safety of marihuana and marihuanainfused products; prevent adverse public health consequences; and ensure security of marihuana establishments. To the fullest extent possible, this act shall be interpreted in accordance with the purpose and intent set forth in this section.

And fill it out in a reasonable common sense fashion that makes sense to you.

An example,... I will do the first sentence(the easy one to fix up a touch)

"The purpose of this act is to make marihuana legal for adults 21 years of age or older and to control the production and distribution of marihuana under a system that licenses, regulates, and taxes the businesses involved."

I would just off the top of my head change it to this:

"The purpose of this act is to make marihuana legal for adults 21 years of age or older and to control REGULATE the COMMERCIAL production and distribution of marihuana under IN a system that licenses, regulates, OVERSEES and taxes the businesses involved."

Now, agreed, if I was writing the whole thing, I would not even write that sentence or section in that manner.  BUT, by doing such,... and simply adjusting what THEY have done, and by giving them the solution to the problem you are pointing out..... You have a much better chance of getting what you want.

Feel free to post suggestions here and send them in. Others can copy your suggestions or come up with their own using some of the ideas there....

This is what I do... ;-)

p.s.  See how that first sentence now reads.... and it makes you feel less threatened,... and it doesn't confuse what will now be regulated,... not people over 21,... just commercial in a manner that sounds reasonable.

Sigh'....

F them. I want to make a statement in the intent just like they did. I want to point out all the injustices that dictate a change in the law. Ironically, they want to make one more 'injustice' as they pretend to do something positive. They want to slap us up with false 'injustices' they see as they continue their terrible war against innocent people. 

INTENT:

To protect marijuana users from over regulation, wrongful forfeiture, and false incarceration. 

Just as a point to be made here in slight defense of how I am guessing this came to be,....

Ballot language.

It is possible that they are front loading these "talking points" into this section because they are trying to influence how the Legislative Bureau writes what will be seen on that ballot.

I can see them thinking in that manner possibly?

It is still wrong,... but that concept could be involved there.

And I didn't even get a response to my suggestion. Probably think I'm just another 'bad person who uses marijuana'. We need to put faces to these writers so they can't hide in the shadows pretending to be cannabis activists like fakeness Tim Beck.

They aren't responding to anyone,.... they are taking suggestions. ;-)

Btw, I am not involved in any way with 'them' on this issue beyond just making my own suggestions.

F them. I want to make a statement in the intent just like they did. I want to point out all the injustices that dictate a change in the law. Ironically, they want to make one more 'injustice' as they pretend to do something positive. They want to slap us up with false 'injustices' they see as they continue their terrible war against innocent people. 

I don't disagree,... but ya definitely aint gonna get what ya want with that attitude mister!!

Hahahaha...

;-p

It's 'talking points' alright. Nothing to do with legalization. Just talking points in ballot language they want as much exposure to as possible. A free advertisement by and for the opposition dished out by marijuana users trying to get signatures. It's sick. I would stand there and burn a copy of the ballot initiative as a protest rather than let anyone read that propaganda.

They aren't responding to anyone,.... they are taking suggestions. ;-)

Btw, I am not involved in any way with 'them' on this issue beyond just making my own suggestions.

Well of course not. It would take a hate twisted brain to even bring themselves to write that garbage. I want some faces to put to these writers. We need to see who they are for future reference. Don't want to confuse them with real advocates. If they are politicians they need to go. 

I'm here to say, "What the f were you thinking?" when people get way the hell out there with bad propaganda that hurts cannabis users. This is one of those times.... again. It seems never ending. People somehow need to cut us down to prop up their terrible hate filled existences. They gotta be better than someone, and it's often the 'pot heads' that they are so much better than. 

I was down until I felt all that hate pointed at me like a laser. The false accusations used as a foundation for something that is supposed to be for people like me. People like me are supposed to support this? Maybe I should wear a pointed dunce hat when I'm collecting signatures? Or a striped suit and have hand cuffs on? Or maybe they should just pay cops to ask people to sign it? That's it! That would make it genuine. Only cops in uniform have petitions to sign. And they all need to wear a slogan that they support filling private prisons with non violent marijuana offenders. Because that is the INTENT.

The wealthy commercial interests do not want to give up the free felony enforcement by the police against their supposed unlicensed competition. That is the upshot, unfortunately. Those interests will pay for signature gatherers.

funny, i dont see budweiser or marlboro worrying about home brews or people growing tobacco

It is tough for me to get excited at all about this when I read section 2. It is just so far off from the intent of our community, it pollutes the rest. It just indicates it is being driven by the wrong ideas and concepts.

so you'd rather live with what we have currently than what this is trying to do?

so you'd rather live with what we have currently than what this is trying to do?

Do you want to make a new law to protect society from the dasturdly pot heads?  So you can go to the dispensary? And be tracked from the moment you walk through the door until you get home safe and hide while you are smoking? Then you get to do that over again as many times as your pockets are full of cash. While the proceeds go to imprison those who chose not to go through that dispensary cycle. Seems like a crazy thing to support unless you don't like cannabis. 

All good points of criticism.  I am not involved in the draft language, but obviously, have read it.

Section two is not so swift, I agree...

It is such that this initiative language will go forward.  I will sign.  

I would suggest the proposed language can be improved if open minds are at the table.  I would also suggest that section two is more symbolic, and there are other area's more important to direct our attention at.

Let me ask rhetorically:  If you could amend 3 places in the language, where would those places be?  It is unlikely a wholesale challenge to every word is going to gain any traction at all.  After all, as citizens they may do as they wish.  Just as people can oppose their initiative and yell and be uncivil, so can MPP.

Let's cut to the more important chase... what area's would be most important to address?

Since Trump admin spokesman said they would be cracking down on recreational marijuana in the states that legalize(d) it's not so important anymore.

If it was important then I would be looking to get the taxes and proceeds to go directly into the general fund. Otherwise it all goes to law enforcement. We see that with our fees.

I would change all that money stealing junk below to just saying it all goes into the general fund. Then maybe we would get better roads and schools. The cops don't need more money.

Marihuana Regulation Fund

Sec. 15. 1. The marihuana regulation fund is created in the state treasury. All money collected under section 14 of this act and all fees collected by the department shall be deposited in the fund. The state treasurer shall direct the investment of the fund and shall credit the fund interest and earnings from fund investments. The department shall administer the fund for auditing purposes. Money in the fund shall not lapse to the general fund. The fund shall be expended first for the implementation, administration, and enforcement of this act. Upon appropriation, unexpended balances shall be allocated as follows: 

(a)  [to be determined]; and 

(b)  [to be determined]

2. Funds for the initial activities of the department under this act are appropriated from the general fund and shall be repaid to the general fund by proceeds from the fund.

I want no reference to the MMMA

I want a clear definition of "public place"

f**k the money trail, that is going to happen no matter what goes down.  You are following the exact shiet they want you to follow.  Think outside the freakin box...

Bob Dylan says: When you gonna wake up, and strengthen the things that remain