Questions About The New Laws....

BigTree44

I've been reading up on the law that Snyder passed and still have some questions.

I see there are different types of licenses you have to get to be a grower with the plant limits being 500,1000 and 1500. If I'm a caregiver would I be required to apply for one of those licenses or will my card from before still be all I need? I won't be growing anywhere near 50 plants let alone 500, so I wasn't sure if I'd still have to apply for it under the new law.

Also I've read the licenses are going to be in the 10's of thousands of dollars, is this true? How can the little farmers afford that?

If you're a caregiver for 4 patients do you have to send the meds to their testing center before you can give it to your patients?

I had a friend say he went to Best Bud's in Lansing and they're no longer taking overages from street farmers(in house only he said), is this going to be the new normal even before the law goes into effect at the end of the year?

If there's a link that explains what exactly the new law really means minus the legal terms I'd gladly appreciate it.

Thanks for any help!

Until and unless the MMA is amended or abolished things remain the same for patients and caregivers, and the rules regarding medical use under that law will not change. It is only if you choose to become involved growing for and/or with a dispensary operation that you will have to follow the new rules, established under a law separate from the MMA, and pay the long dollar and jump through its hoops.

Thanks everyone!

So are the licenses really $10,000+ for each part of the new law(grower, transport, seller)?

I always wanted to open a bakery, so this new law would allow for that to happen but you'd have to pay the $10k to even think of opening a business?

Realistically, it takes at least hundred K to open a business. $10K is nothing. 

Also keep in mind

You will NOT be allowed to participate in the MMMA as a caregiver if you elect to enter the new regulated system as a commercial grower. You can't do both...

As of now there are no rules for the new 5 tier system yet written. All the talk you are currently hearing is still speculation... the newly formed committee has until 12.21.17 to write the rules and regulations for the groundwork before the new applications for each of the 5 new commercial division licenses can be processed.

This new system is stand alone and does not impact the rules governing the current MMMA .

yet.

Realistically, it takes at least hundred K to open a business. $10K is nothing.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I already know you will)

I'm pretty sure as of now speculation says....

100k assurity personal bond will be required before you can even apply. (personal assets only)

Up to 5k license fee to each the township, county and state... (15k)

all money and persons involved will have to be vetted by reglatory agency. (pass background check)

even penny intended for use will need to be traceable to source from personal holdings or from investors...(little or no cash)

Thanks everyone!

So are the licenses really $10,000+ for each part of the new law(grower, transport, seller)?

I always wanted to open a bakery, so this new law would allow for that to happen but you'd have to pay the $10k to even think of opening a business?

Something like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I already know you will)

I'm pretty sure as of now speculation says....

100k assurity personal bond will be required before you can even apply. (personal assets only)

Up to 5k license fee to each the township, county and state... (15k)

all money and persons involved will have to be vetted by reglatory agency. (pass background check)

even penny intended for use will need to be traceable to source from personal holdings or from investors...(little or no cash)

Think the 5k fee is to the townships, first I heard of to county and state has their own fees they charge.

Correct me if I am off base with this.

I'm confident its going to be up to the townships (or cities) to decide on the placement of each of the five levels of license and what zone is appropriate for the operation of each type of facility.

i would bet confidently that they will restrict grows to industrial, agricultural, forestry or one of a few others depending on what part of the state you live in..

i would bet the retail side(provision center) will be the most restrictive of all the zoning rule requirements not necessarily the grow, testing, transportation and processing centers but each level will most likely be significantly regulated in most townships.

they have 360 days from 12/21/16 to be prepared for applications...so we shall all get to see...

I'm confident its going to be up to the townships (or cities) to decide on the placement of each of the five levels of license and what zone is appropriate for the operation of each type of facility.

i would bet confidently that they will restrict grows to industrial, agricultural, forestry or one of a few others depending on what part of the state you live in..

i would bet the retail side(provision center) will be the most restrictive of all the zoning rule requirements not necessarily the grow, testing, transportation and processing centers but each level will most likely be significantly regulated in most townships.

they have 360 days from 12/21/16 to be prepared for applications...so we shall all get to see...

What the people are thinking;

Is there any penalty or consequences if they are not ready? Do you think they will be?

I've spoken to LARA. They haven't even elected a board yet. I don't they're even close to being on schedule. The lady told me that they are trying there best to have something ready by December. :(

That's confusing because the actual bill states that grows have to zoned either industrial or agricultural. I've read Pinconning's ordinance and don't even specify a specific zone. They only require that any facility has to be at least 1,000 ft from schools, church's etc. Doesn't even mention being a certain distance from residential.

I think I'm gonna buy some agricultural land and throw a pole barn or something on it.

You need to read the definition of agricultural land to see if the definition fits, specifically Pinconning City and/or Township. Some language is fairly specific and might not fit an indoor warehouse grow. 

You need to read the definition of agricultural land to see if the definition fits, specifically Pinconning City and/or Township. Some language is fairly specific and might not fit an indoor warehouse grow. 

I wasn't planning to move to Pinconning. I was just using their ordinance as a reference. But if the municipality doesn't specify how  the land the grow is on must be zoned, doesn't that mean it could be anywhere?

I wasn't planning to move to Pinconning. I was just using their ordinance as a reference. But if the municipality doesn't specify how  the land the grow is on must be zoned, doesn't that mean it could be anywhere?

Nope. You have to meet their zoning rules. Like some say agra land is just tilling the soil and/or growing trees. Then you would be stuck with just commercial property for a warehouse grow. 

Nope. You have to meet their zoning rules. Like some say agra land is just tilling the soil and/or growing trees. Then you would be stuck with just commercial property for a warehouse grow. 

I guess I'm confused. If I buy the land and it's already zoned agricultural. Does the zoning change when I put a structure on it?