Powdery Mildew Control...milstop?

semicaregiver

If it's just potassium bicarbonate you may be better off getting natural ph up by earth juice.

FWIW, I sprayed Green Cure (potassium bicarbonate) on a test plant (male, day 33 of veg) today (been fighting PM). I used the recommended amount - 1 tbs to a gallon. It burned the bunny muffin out of the leaves!

Ive also been using hydrogen peroxide and apple cider vinegar at the recommended rate and neither seem to negatively effect the plants. The potassium bicarbonate fried the smaller, newer leaves the worse and I'm not sure if it will recover.

Ive also been using hydrogen peroxide and apple cider vinegar at the recommended rate and neither seem to negatively effect the plants. The potassium bicarbonate fried the smaller, newer leaves the worse and I'm not sure if it will recover.

I like the idea of using peroxide.  I already use it in my reservoir so I have it on hand.   My interest is finding a product to use as a routine preventative as opposed to curing an outbreak.    Your comments about damage from using potassium bicarbonate certainly suggest that it could be the wrong choice for a preventative.   What is the formula you used for the peroxide/vinegar mix?

I like the idea of using peroxide.  I already use it in my reservoir so I have it on hand.   My interest is finding a product to use as a routine preventative as opposed to curing an outbreak.    Your comments about damage from using potassium bicarbonate certainly suggest that it could be the wrong choice for a preventative.   What is the formula you used for the peroxide/vinegar mix?

First, I need to update the Pot. Bicarb comment. After having read goods things about it for controlling PM I was really puzzled as to why the plant was burned so badly. I still need to review this, but upon reflecting I don't think I converted the ratio correctly. The jar calls for 1 Tbs of Green Cure to 1 gal of water. I'm now thinking I didn't convert from English to metric correctly ending up with to strong a product. I only made up 8 oz. worth.

Here's what I used for the Vinegar and h2o2.

Mix 4 tbs of apple cider vinegar with 1 gallon of water. Reapply every three days.

One qt. H2O2 to 3 qts. water. Apply weekly.

My source stated that a higher concentration of vinegar is better, but there is a risk to damaging the plants. I have used a 6 tbs to 1 gal mix without any negative issues.

For prevention of PM, I use lots of fans blowing the air around. Learned the hard way! Set up fans under the plants and also have fans that blow across the tops. Lower fans blow in one direction and upper fans blow in opposite direction.

On outdoor grows, I have used one part milk and 6 parts water and sprayed on the plants during flowering.

One qt. H2O2 to 3 qts. water. Apply weekly.

My source stated that a higher concentration of vinegar is better, but there is a risk to damaging the plants. I have used a 6 tbs to 1 gal mix without any negative issues.

I am thinking that the peroxide you list is the CVS variety at 3%, not the hydro store variety at 29%.

eagle20

Gary,   No question eagle20 works.  From all I have read it would seem that one could use it on Mothers, clones and veg with no problem.  That said it has gotten such a bad rap that I am looking for an alternative for preventive maint.    

There was a recent report that the health folks in Canada forced a commercial facility to trash an entire harvest since they found eagle20 in their mother plants.   Seems way over the top, but it is what it is.

I recommend not allowing plants with powdery mildew into your growroom, ever. Any attempt at trying to preventatively control PM in a crop of plants sounds like a nightmare to me, which would result in massive disappointment for everyone involved. Spray a mother with Eagle 20, grow it out, take clones, grow and flower those. It is the only way to keep one's sanity.

Spray nothing unless your plants have PM.

THIS

First, I need to update the Pot. Bicarb comment. After having read goods things about it for controlling PM I was really puzzled as to why the plant was burned so badly. I still need to review this, but upon reflecting I don't think I calculated the ratio correctly. The jar calls for 1 Tbs of Green Cure to 1 gal of water. I'm now thinking I didn't convert from English to metric correctly ending up with to strong a product. I only made up 8 oz. worth.

Just wanted to follow up on this. I did my calculations again and found I did them correctly. My problems was I measured out the P-Bicarb wrong!

So, don't write off Green Cure/Potassium Bi-carbonate because of my error.

• 4 years later...