Michiganders Willing To Pass -- And Puff -- Marijuana Legalization

Michiganders Willing To Pass -- And Puff -- Marijuana Legalization

If it makes the ballot, an effort to regulate and tax marijuana like alcohol would be supported by 58 percent of Michiganders likely to vote, according to a new survey from Marketing Resource Group (MRG). Another 36 percent oppose it.

MRG surveyed 600 likely Michigan voters, and recorded their political affiliation and their responses from "Strongly Support" to "Strongly Oppose." 

"While attitudes toward marijuana may be mellowing, most Republican voters and those 65 and older still are not ready to legalize it," said MRG President Tom SHIELDS. "Support for legalizing recreational use of marijuana has grown from 41 percent in 2013 to 58 percent in just the last four years. I would not be surprised to see a successful ballot proposal within the next few years." 

Supporters of legalization were 71 percent of Democrats, 56 percent of independents and 46 percent of Republicans. In opposition were 48 percent of Republicans, 41 percent of independents and 25 percent of Democrats. 

The poll showed support above 50 percent in all areas of the state except the tri-cities area of Flint, Saginaw and Bay City and in the northern Lower Peninsula. 

Perhaps surprisingly, legalization has stronger support in the Upper Peninsula than the city of Detroit. Sixty-five percent of Yoopers support it while 60 percent of Detroiters do. 

Shields said this puts Michigan on the threshold for a successful ballot initiative (See "Regs For Recreational Marijuana Mirror Medical In Ballot Language," 5/5/17). 

"Historically, ballot proposals need to have support over 60 percent when the campaign starts to be able to withstand the potential onslaught of negative advertising from those who oppose it," Shields said. "We could be on the verge of legalizing marijuana for recreational use, but we'll have to wait and see how the campaign plays out." (See "Opposition Group To Legalization Campaign Emerges, Backers Unknown," 5/18/17). 

The poll has a 4 percent margin of error.

I would bet anything that a vast majority of the 36% that oppose legalization are either uninformed or illinformed ! 

I oppose and I am neither uninformed nor ill informed.

Lot's of disinformation being pushed by legalization proponents through the media

and the gp is gobbling it up with out doing any of their own research.  Sad days to come.

This initiative will neither "end prohibition" nor will it "stop" any arrests/ prosecutions/ incarcerations.

Edited by imiubu

I oppose and I am neither uninformed nor ill informed.

Lot's of disinformation being pushed by legalization proponents through the media

and the gp is gobbling it up with out doing any of their own research. Sad days to come.

This initiative will neither "end prohibition" nor will it "stop" any arrests/ prosecutions/ incarcerations.

Total bs. Maybe delusional. This sort of thinking is how we have a president trump. Uninformed illinformed, don't know bunny muffin.

yes, imi supports the current situation of marijuana being 100% illegal.

well, she didnt say otherwise... haha

Total bs. Maybe delusional. This sort of thinking is how we have a president trump. Uninformed illinformed, don't know bunny muffin.

This is rather amusing and almost not worthy of response.

Instead of attacking me for disagreeing...

how about telling me just how this legalization will end prohibition et al?

Never mind, I'll not be returning.

I choose to spend time with people who think for themselves and see beyond the hype.

Some folks apparently are happily drinking the koolaid,

whilst I instead will abstain.

This sort of behavior is how we have a president trump.

The thing here for me is: I don't want the general opposition to marijuana using a failed attempt at loosening restrictions with a marijuana ballot initiative, as a mandate that the majority of Michiganders are against freeing up the weed. 

Any failed attempt looks bad for marijuana. So win it, even if it doesn't help everyone, and doesn't fix everything. 

I often point out fault with these initiatives as the wording is formulated. Very harshly. Maybe overstated. That's how the sausage making happens with wording. Once the wording is in place, with no chance for more positive changing, it's time to get behind what's there and stop the poo pooing on it. 

The thing here for me is: I don't want the general opposition to marijuana using a failed attempt at loosening restrictions with a marijuana ballot initiative, as a mandate that the majority of Michiganders are against freeing up the weed. 

Any failed attempt looks bad for marijuana. So win it, even if it doesn't help everyone, and doesn't fix everything. 

I often point out fault with these initiatives as the wording is formulated. Very harshly. Maybe overstated. That's how the sausage making happens with wording. Once the wording is in place, with no chance for more positive changing, it's time to get behind what's there and stop the poo pooing on it.

I've always been a "glass half full" kind of guy and have followed the "one in the hand is worth two in the bush" approach to life. Every step we take that loosens existing MJ laws helps establish more acceptance by the general public which that creates more acceptance, etc.

Years ago I had a wise friend tell me that when struggling over making a decision that it's better to make a decision - even if it's not exactly what you want because you can always change or fine-tune the decision later. Change is slow and it always doesn't go exactly the way we want it but let's not forget where we started . . .

My prediction is with the implementation of the new laws that LEO will be so busy monitoring all the new licensees, facilities, etc. that they won't have time for us little guys and will leave us alone. Sounds like a good thing to me.

This is rather amusing and almost not worthy of response.

Instead of attacking me for disagreeing...

i was just pulling your chain, imi :P

its up to you to decide what you will vote/support. good luck!

seeing as colorado and washington both dropped 80% of marijuana possession arrests , i'm going to be voting yes on this one so that will save michigan 18,000+ arrests each year for marijuana.

yeah its not perfect, its not tomatoes. i'll vote for tomatoes too when that ever gets on the ballot.

its a start.

bunch more states and then we can take down the federal laws as well.

just like repealing alcohol prohibition.

dont let anyone's words scare you away from participating in democracy, imi. use your american right to vote and your michigan RIGHT to initiate laws.

think about all those other states where they cant even do ballot proposals. they are never going to get medical marijuana in georgia, alabama or mississippi.

Edited by bax

90% of our clients would still have charges under the CRMLA language.

sure, but 90% of your clients is like 100 people per year? vs 18,000 possession arrests per year.

i'm surprised you compare 100 to 18,000 but ok.

How can both of our observations be correct?

says more about your clients than the proposal.

max wouldve gone free. a lot of these cases wouldnt even be cases if marijuana was legal. maybe even smell of marijuana as probable cause would go away.

bob wouldve been a $100 fine. maybe, its hard to tell how crazy they will attack legalization.

the butter cops would be free.

didnt carruthers win pretty much?

what clients of yours would still have charges under the new proposal?

Edited by bax

And whatever you do, don't try to push this proposal saying the MMMA doesn't work or caregivers are under threat. This proposal does absolutely nothing to help.

whatever you do, don't try to say "flower you, got mine" and try to claim that we can't have progress on marijuana laws.

didnt you try to fix the problems you saw with the MMMA law? you were one of the proponents of fixing the law.

how did fixing the MMMA go? how did you like 4209 and 4210? or 660? what about the 2012 bills? improper transport? 5ng bill?

hows the schedule 1 thc lab scandal case going? refiled yet?

is anyone labelling their edibles? as required by MMMA law ....

anyways, i dont mention the MMMA when collecting signatures unless someone asks. then i point them at the MMMA wording from the proposal:

2. This act does not limit any privileges, rights, immunities, or defenses of a person as provided in the Michigan medical marihuana act, 2008 IL 1, MCL 333.26421 to 333.26430, the medical marihuana facilities licensing act, 2016 PA 281, MCL 333.27101 to 333.27801, or any other law of this state allowing for or regulating marihuana for medical use.

http://www.milegalize.com/2018_proposal_language

and heres the INTENT of the new proposal

Sec. 2. The purpose of this act is to make marihuana legal under state and local law for adults 21 years of age or older, to make industrial hemp legal under state and local law, and to control the commercial production and distribution of marihuana under a system that licenses, regulates, and taxes the businesses involved. The intent is to prevent arrest and penalty for personal possession and cultivation of marihuana by adults 21 years of age or older; remove the commercial production and distribution of marihuana from the illicit market; prevent revenue generated from commerce in marihuana from going to criminal enterprises or gangs; prevent the distribution of marihuana to persons under 21 years of age; prevent the diversion of marihuana to illicit markets; ensure the safety of marihuana and marihuana-infused products; and ensure security of marihuana establishments. To the fullest extent possible, this act shall be interpreted in accordance with the purpose and intent set forth in this section.

thats a darn fine intent. much better than "limited protections for special class of people" or however the judges word it to take away protections for patients and caregivers.

like michael said, wheres the protection from arrest the mmma gives patients ?

Edited by bax

As much as I want to help save 18,000 people who can't be bothered to get cards from misdemeanor probation and peeing in a cup, why not just get a card and help us out over here?

can you even name a current cert dr that the MMMA.org recommends?

can you even name a current cert dr that the MMMA.org recommends?

I'd recommend everybody get a card, no matter what.

i'm not blaming you or mmma , but this is a failure of the entire medical marihuana community that there isnt a list of good drs that can be recommended.

and by list i mean more than 3 in the entire state. should be list of 3 in each city.

Edited by bax

I'd recommend everybody get a card, no matter what.

you do realize that people have to have a QUALIFYING CONDITION and not just everybody can run down and create doctor records and get certified for the MEDICAL USE of cannabis....

what about all the people who don't qualify to just run down and grab a card for protection?

i'm not blaming you or mmma , but this is a failure of the entire medical marihuana community that there isnt a list of good drs that can be recommended.

and by list i mean more than 3 in the entire state. should be list of 3 in each city.

it isnt a failure of the MMJ community...

it is a problem by created by LARA and Law enforcement.

they have created an enviroment of fear and so doctors are afraid to sign.

there are very few doctors willing to sign certs right now because they either work for a large corporation who dictates their actions or they are to small to be able to fight off LARA and the systematic dissemblance of their life's work.

I am not comparing them directly - I do not believe your quoted statistic, based on the range of marijuana charges that I am privy to.

I can agree for sure 

First thing i know nothing of how things will turn out well Maybe i do know one thing arresting the sick and the ones who care for them will not go down 

that is my own opinion  

The new proposal does not solve or help the issues we struggle with under the MMMA. I just don't want anybody to think that passing this solves any problem for any patient or caregiver.

Bax, you quote a handful of our cases as people who would have been vindicated under the new proposal, but the new proposal does not have any rights or privileges beyond the MMMA. If what you say is true, that the words in this proposal would save some of our clients that were tortured by the system under the MMMA, I'd like you to explain it. If your explanation requires law enforcement to read or respect the law, I've made my point.

Example:  Ol Bob Redden there could have gotten a simple civil fine instead of a felony charge.  Anyone patient growing under 24 plants would have fines instead of felony charges.  How many people have gotten in trouble for having just a little too much?. Any patient can now have up to 5 oz and it would only be a civil fine under legalization. 

Not new rights,... but progressive penalties at least.

I think people are blind to how legalization will protect pt/cg/physicians.  Not only from certain penalties, not only from herd protection, but some protection from commercial medical marijuana operators who are so greedy they want to go after CG rights.  When they market increases by 95% after legalization, they will not care so much about CG's anymore.

But what do I know....

:-)

Anybody can get a caregiver card. You just have to be willing to help a patient.

And patients have to be willing to wait 4+ months for meds with no guarantee the CG will produce anything worth anything.  Easy for you to say but much harder for people to do.  Esp with landlords having to give the go ahead.

That is the real point, I suppose. They have nothing to do with each other. The new proposal does not solve or help the issues we struggle with under the MMMA. I just don't want anybody to think that passing this solves any problem for any patient or caregiver.

Bax, you quote a handful of our cases as people who would have been vindicated under the new proposal, but the new proposal does not have any rights or privileges beyond the MMMA. If what you say is true, that the words in this proposal would save some of our clients that were tortured by the system under the MMMA, I'd like you to explain it. If your explanation requires law enforcement to read or respect the law, I've made my point.

I call BS.  Just having it more normalized, out in the open and with more people to stand up in court behind people when the shiite goes down would be a help.  You can't say this solves nothing for any CG or patient anywhere, it doesn't logically stand with the way things are interconnected.  Maybe not directly but it would be a step to solving the division and bring the fight forward which is a win for all.

Example:  Ol Bob Redden there could have gotten a simple civil fine instead of a felony charge.  Anyone patient growing under 24 plants would have fines instead of felony charges.  How many people have gotten in trouble for having just a little too much?. Any patient can now have up to 5 oz and it would only be a civil fine under legalization. 

Not new rights,... but progressive penalties at least.

I think people are blind to how legalization will protect pt/cg/physicians.  Not only from certain penalties, not only from herd protection, but some protection from commercial medical marijuana operators who are so greedy they want to go after CG rights.  When they market increases by 95% after legalization, they will not care so much about CG's anymore.

But what do I know....

:-)

Yes!  posted mine before I read this.

Edited by ANHEMP