Rookie Needs Help!

Hi everyone! 

This is my first forum post. I am new to this site and very interested in becoming a caregiver. I live in Michigan and meet the standards to successfully become a caregiver. I do not know anyone personally in this field of medicine, so I thought I would come on here and would help that you guys could give me some advice. I have a lot of questions and would appreciate any answers to any of them - again, I'm a rookie to this so please bear with me. 

First off - I'm confused about the laws. I believe they just recently changed so to my understanding, you apparently have to get a warehouse now and a license either A, B, or C that can permit you to grow up to 500+ plants? Isn't there something about having to wait till December 2017 now to get a license? And what about if you're a non-Michigan resident - i heard you have to wait until June 2018 till you can get a license. 

Also - is it legal to sell to dispensary or do you have to directly sell to your patient only? 

Last question - I hate asking about the money put but it does play an important role. I don't want to get into this field strictly for the money but rather to learn how to grow and help patients. I've read articles that have said the MOST you could make is about $30,000 a year and then other articles that say you can make $50,000 per grow cycle so easily over $100,000 a year. Is this true? I know it's based off your quality of plants and how many you grow but is it a good business to get into? How much would you recommend saving up before starting? 

Thanks for any answers in advance! I look forward to being part of this group. 

Edited by apc419

Being a caregiver is not a money making experience and at times its a thankless job if you end up with bad patients currently all of my patients are great but still im making a meager living by growing and make enough to pay my $400 light bill month to month and not a whole lot more  .

You can legally have up to 5 patients. Depending on who the patients are, you can make what they can afford to pay for their meds minus expenses. So you ask yourself how much 5 people can afford and that's what you can expect for income. Most people probably could afford a couple hundred a month. So that $2400 a year. Times 5 is $12000 a year from your maximum amount of patients. Subtract what it cost you to grow it. So anyone who said you can make more than $12000 LEGALLY is blowing smoke up your arse.

all of which require schooling, licensing, degrees, continuing education and huge investments.

not very comparable to a mmmp caregiver. whose only requirement is not having a felony. and by law, is only allowed to be a caregiver for 5 connected patients at any given time.

compared to a dr, nurse, hospital or drugstore, which could see 1000 patients a month?

fine then. to make money off the sick, go to school and become a dr or nurse. theres my advice.

9 hours ago, apc419 said:

First off - I'm confused about the laws. I believe they just recently changed so to my understanding, you apparently have to get a warehouse now and a license either A, B, or C that can permit you to grow up to 500+ plants? Isn't there something about having to wait till December 2017 now to get a license? And what about if you're a non-Michigan resident - i heard you have to wait until June 2018 till you can get a license.

to answer this question, you can be a caregiver under the current system.

in a year or two, the state will start issuing licenses to grow for 500,1000 or 1500 plants, or secure transport, or retail medical marijuana dispensary, or medical marijuana processing. no one has any idea what the rules will be for the new licenses to do large grows , retail outlets, processors, secure transports, etc. they have not released any data yet.

there are some rules in the law right now. which you can read here:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/publicact/htm/2016-PA-0281.htm

generally, the thought process is that they are going to require insurance bonds and surety guarantees , so if you dont have $250k , dont bother asking about it.

heres the quote from the law

Sec. 408. (1) Before the board grants or renews any license under this act, the licensee or applicant shall file with the department proof of financial responsibility for liability for bodily injury to lawful users resulting from the manufacture, distribution, transportation, or sale of adulterated marihuana or adulterated marihuana-infused product in an amount not less than $100,000.00. The proof of financial responsibility may be in the form of cash, unencumbered securities, a liability insurance policy, or a constant value bond executed by a surety company authorized to do business in this state. As used in this section:

but if you are looking for advice on the business side, of either caregiving or one of these new MMFLA licenses, ask one of the mmj lawyers.

they are part of these many experts in cannabis business licensing and some are in the know with lobbyists running around doing backroom deals and trading information and secrets.

call komorn law for more info on how to get in on the big michigan green rush. 800-656-3557

or http://www.komornlaw.com for more info

http://komornlaw.com/business-development/

there were some guides on caregiving here at michiganmedicalmarijuana.org , but they are down while the site is being upgraded. they should be back shortly.

i hope i am not being too harsh with my answers. being a caregiver for someone is a tough job. it requires dedication and patience and compassion. dealing with people who sometimes cant pay their own bills. its not a steady reliable income imo. not to mention opening yourself to multiple felonies just for dealing with the controlled substance marijuana, in both state and federal laws.

the michigan state charges which get thrown around on caregivers being:

maintaining a drug house. 2 year misdemeanor

cultivation/manufacture of marijuana. 4-7 year felony for up to 200 plants

possession with intent to distribute. 4-7 year felony

just trying to give you the straight talk facts.