Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

congrats bubblegrower, now if you are done trying on your new hat;] will jiffy peat pellets work for seedlings then place those in my hydroton?

LMAO....... yes, although they are definitely NOT preferred, they are usable. i didn't want to bring this up...... but i often start my seedlings in soil or straight vermiculite. after the first couple sets of leaves are showing i let the soil dry almost completely and then gently pull/dig the plant out. i then dip the roots in a bowl of water to rinse/shake off the dirt or verm and then plant straight into hydroton. this takes patience and you must be very careful as those new roots are fragile..... but i like it for seedlings.

added note:

if you are using jiffy pellets, soil, or vermiculite to start seedlings, and then transplanting into hydroton, you will want to do a complete system flush after about 5 days. this will give any leftover particles time to come off the roots and settle in the bottoms of the buckets.

congrats bubblegrower, now if you are done trying on your new hat;] will jiffy peat pellets work for seedlings then place those in my hydroton?

:lol:!!! Unfortunately I don't know much about peat pellets and DWC to answer this one.

Hey bubble, thanks for the info on the pic's. It's kind of a pain but if it let's me post pics, I guess It will have to do. lol OH, and Congrats on the mod, if that's something to congratulate you on. lol I know moderating can be a selfless job, and they take a lot of heat, but you seem to be on your game and helping people is the number 1 thing. Too many let the ego's get to them and over power their need to teach and help others. That being said, that is my experience on web boards, NOT THIS BOARD. Everyone here has been so helpful and respectful, even when newb questions are asked, and asked and asked again. lol

OK, back to the pics, if I did this right, you'll be able to see my three girls. Keep in mind that these little ones were only in 12 inch pots. Now I am vegging in much bigger, better pots, all soil. :) Here goes:

tn_gallery_13362_124_12398.jpg

tn_gallery_13362_124_47396.jpg

tn_gallery_13362_124_31808.jpg

Ok, hopefully that worked. lol

Hey bubble, thanks for the info on the pic's. It's kind of a pain but if it let's me post pics, I guess It will have to do. lol OH, and Congrats on the mod, if that's something to congratulate you on. lol I know moderating can be a selfless job, and they take a lot of heat, but you seem to be on your game and helping people is the number 1 thing. Too many let the ego's get to them and over power their need to teach and help others. That being said, that is my experience on web boards, NOT THIS BOARD. Everyone here has been so helpful and respectful, even when newb questions are asked, and asked and asked again. lol

OK, back to the pics, if I did this right, you'll be able to see my three girls. Keep in mind that these little ones were only in 12 inch pots. Now I am vegging in much bigger, better pots, all soil. :) Here goes:

They're kind of small, and yeah a lot of mods are dicks but this place is very laid back compared to most forums. Most of the mods here seem more like activists then growers so giving a rock solid grower that moderator hat is a good thing. I've got faith in BG

tn_gallery_13362_124_12398.jpg

tn_gallery_13362_124_47396.jpg

tn_gallery_13362_124_31808.jpg

here i helped you out a little, you almost got it, just make sure your picture is big before you right click and copy/paste the address

med_gallery_13362_124_12398.jpg

gallery_13362_124_47396.jpg

gallery_13362_124_31808.jpg

looking tasty :)

Looks like the timer is set up to run the air stone periodically, or whatever you set it too. IF I ever decided to grow this way, would the hydro store have the net bucket thing, rockwool cubes, and most of the stuff? Or would it be better, cheaper, to order them all online? Just got me thinking, maybe during this winter I might give this a try. Thanks

Looks like the timer is set up to run the air stone periodically, or whatever you set it too. IF I ever decided to grow this way, would the hydro store have the net bucket thing, rockwool cubes, and most of the stuff? Or would it be better, cheaper, to order them all online? Just got me thinking, maybe during this winter I might give this a try. Thanks

the air pump runs 24 hours/day..... it can just be plugged right into the wall ;)

my local hydro store never has EVERYTHING i need when i go to do a major build like this, so i order online. plus, i dont like walking out with tons of stuff.... too many eyeballs.

too many eyeballs, was exactly what I was thinking. Ordering a few things online and picking up the rest from different spots would probably be the way to go, atleast for me. Does the plant sit above the water line inside? How does it get any nutrients when you first put it in there? I imagine it's like anything else and the roots will grow down into the bubbling water, but what about when you first put it in there? Do you have to make smaller ones for the clones to get the roots long enough? If I could wrap my head around that part of it, I think I may just have to build one of these and try it out. Looks like a nice way to do it. I like dirt, but it can sure be a pain, or a mess in the house. What kind of nutes do you run in something like this? Do you use a full line of stuff or just two or three things? THanks man, you have been a world of help for me! :)

----Nemo

too many eyeballs, was exactly what I was thinking. Ordering a few things online and picking up the rest from different spots would probably be the way to go, atleast for me. Does the plant sit above the water line inside? How does it get any nutrients when you first put it in there? I imagine it's like anything else and the roots will grow down into the bubbling water, but what about when you first put it in there? Do you have to make smaller ones for the clones to get the roots long enough? If I could wrap my head around that part of it, I think I may just have to build one of these and try it out. Looks like a nice way to do it. I like dirt, but it can sure be a pain, or a mess in the house. What kind of nutes do you run in something like this? Do you use a full line of stuff or just two or three things? THanks man, you have been a world of help for me! :)

----Nemo

good morning. it's early, and i haven't had coffee yet, so im gonna copy and paste from page 3 or 4 :P

1)rockwool can be tricky. the perfect amount of moisture can be hard to obtain/maintain. unless you are using hydroton pebbles. yes, i soak them in water for about an hour before planting. some folks soak longer, but i really don't see the need to. as far as when to water.... haha... trick question. the answer is "when they need it" :D ......... will you be using hydroton pebbles?? if so, you will be just fine. they deliver the perfect amount of moisture all day everyday. otherwise the goal is "moist", not too wet, and not too dry. i grow hydro in bubbles. when the rockwool cubes are placed in net pots full of hydroton pebbles they receive the perfect amount of water. the air stones in the bottom of the bubblebuckets create air bubbles that rise to the surface and pop.... when the water level is kept at about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch below the bottom of the net pot, the bubbles pop and get just the bottom of the net pot wet. this in turn gets that first layer of clay pebbles wet, and thats all you need. the clay pebbles will "wick" the water/air/nutes between themselves and eventually to the rockwool cube..... delivering the PERFECT amount to keep the moisture levels perfect 24 hours/day. if you overwater rockwool, you are basically suffocating the root system until the cube dries out a little. moving water = oxygen....... a soaked rockwool cube contains zero oxygen. so the roots will begin breathing again once enough water has evaporated to let air in again. the hydroton maintains a perfect level constantly. and eventually the roots grow through the rockwool, through the clay pebbles, through the net pot, and down to the rez..... and thats when the REAL growth happens.

ok, im awake..... i can elaborate now. yeah, as explained above, the rockwool will stay perfect as far as moisture level. the way i do things is after the clone has rooted. (obvious roots coming out the side of the rockwool) then i put them in the net pots with hydroton and into the actual system. my cuttings go into rockwool, and then into a "clone dome" until they root. anyways, the first 24 hours i just run ph 5.5-6.0 water. day 2 i add half strength nutes. say we were using the lucas method. normal vegetative feeding is 5ml/gal micro and 8ml/gal bloom. on day 2 i add 2.5ml/gal micro and 4ml/gal bloom. and then leave that for 2 days. day 4 they get the other half of the nutes and then its regular strength from then on.

tis' just how i does it B)

once you cycle the strain you will get the feel for it. some strains can take a little more abuse right off the bat, and some are real picky.......... so the way i do things (unless i am familiar with the strain) is to stay on the safe side.

they wont be malnourished.... thats for certain.... and nute burn in the first week or two is a tragic event.

If I could wrap my head around that part of it, I think I may just have to build one of these and try it out. Looks like a nice way to do it.

yeah, give it a shot......... this one is just "good sized".... it ain't big by any means. this pic was right around 95-100 days from seed. and this was in a breeding room. it had lesser quality lighting/venting ect than the actual flower room. they just grow up so dang fast these days B)

med_gallery_13801_60_101089.jpg

Ok so I went to the store got all my things on the supply list for the 12 bucket setup, what is the distance of the water tubing from bucket to bucket? I am sure the longer the better for place growing but what is an average I should be looking at? Thanks!

Ok so I went to the store got all my things on the supply list for the 12 bucket setup, what is the distance of the water tubing from bucket to bucket? I am sure the longer the better for place growing but what is an average I should be looking at? Thanks!

12" minimum. i usually try to leave a couple feet or more if i can. this will give you some room to move the buckets around a little to get maximum light to the tops if you need to. the shorter the distance between buckets, obviously the less mobility you have with them. my vinyl tubing is real soft and flimsy so i can have 3 feet of tube and just push it out of the way and still have the buckets almost side-by-side if a want.