Family: 7-Year-Old Shot By Police Was Asleep

http://home.myhughesnet.com/news/read.php?ps=1011&rip_id=%3CD9FOEREO0%40news.ap.org%3E&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS

DETROIT (AP) — State police will take over the investigation of the fatal shooting of a 7-year-old girl by a Detroit police officer during a weekend raid at the girl's home, a prosecutor said Monday.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said bringing in the state police to investigate the killing of Aiyana Jones would avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest.

"I agree that it is most appropriate that this be done independently," Worthy said.

Aiyana was asleep on the living room sofa in her family's apartment when Detroit police, searching for a homicide suspect, burst in and an officer's gun went off, fatally striking the girl in the neck, family members said.

Her father, 25-year-old Charles Jones, told The Detroit News he had just gone to bed early Sunday after covering his daughter with her favorite blanket when he heard a flash grenade followed by a gunshot. When he rushed into the living room, he said, police forced him to lie on the ground, with his face in his daughter's blood.

"I'll never be the same. That's my only daughter," Jones told WXYZ-TV.

Assistant Chief Ralph Godbee said officers set off the flash grenade as they entered the apartment with their guns drawn about 12:40 a.m. Sunday with a warrant to look for a suspect in the Friday slaying of a 17-year-old boy. The lead officer's gun went off after he encountered a 46-year-old woman inside the front room of the home and "some level of physical contact" ensued. Police do not believe the gun was fired intentionally.

"This is any parent's worst nightmare. It also is any police officer's worst nightmare," Godbee said.

Family members identified the woman as the child's grandmother and Charles Jones' mother, Mertilla Jones, who has said she was not involved in a struggle with the officer. Police later said the officer may have just collided with the woman.

The officer, who police have not publicly identified, was put on paid administrative leave, Godbee said.

"This is a tragedy of unspeakable magnitude to Aiyana's parents, family and all those who loved her," Godbee said. "It is a tragedy we also feel very deeply throughout

Police eventually found the 34-year-old slaying suspect they were looking for during a search of the building, Godbee said.

Charles Jones said he had to wait for hours to find out what happened to his daughter.

"Her blood was everywhere and I was trying to stay calm, but nobody would talk to me. None of them even tried to console me," Jones told The Detroit News.

Godbee would not comment on newspaper reports that neighbors told police there were children in the house and showed them toys in the front yard. The girl's father said three other children besides Aiyana were in the home when the raid happened.

On the porch outside the family's home on Monday, saddened friends and neighbors added candles, stuffed animals and balloons to a growing memorial to Aiyana.

"I don't know them. I came here because I feel it in my spirit. I'm feeling the pain," said Mark Jones, a 39-year-old Detroit father of four who tied three balloons to the porch railing.

Krystal Sanders, Aiyana's aunt, returned to the home with family members on Monday afternoon.

"We want justice, that's all we want," she said, crying. "We want justice."

When asked if police entered the wrong portion of the duplex that features two separate front entrances bearing individual addresses at opposite ends off the worn front porch, she said: "Yes they did. Yes they did."

A news conference was scheduled at 2 p.m. EDT at police headquarters.

Terrance Echols, 28, said he was in the basement of his home, across the street and two doors down from the home, when he heard a "bang."

He ran upstairs, "and I heard people yelling, 'You killed a 7-year-old girl. You killed the girl.'"

He said police quickly converged on the house, blocked the street with patrol cars and later had several adults lined up, leaning against the house.

"They were distraught, but the police had them all stretched out outside."

Charles Jones said he was trying not to be angry but wanted the story to be told. He said Aiyana was a lively child who loved to sing and had recently developed an interest in Hannah Montana and the Justin Bieber song "Baby."

"She was just figuring out what she liked, what she wanted to do with her life," her father said. "I want this story to be heard. This was a wrongful death."

Guest Wayne

This is war! Declared on United States citizen's by their own government. In war one must always accept that collateral damage will be inflicted on innocent lives. Simple equation with a simple answer. Merely another collateral death. If negligence is involved damages will be awarded, paid compliments of City of Detroit taxpayer's. Plenty of tax revenue laying around Detroit these days I'm sure. In the words of the character Bill "The Butcher" Cutter in Gangs of New York "Oopsy Daisy".

Wonder what will happen to the film being shot by Entertainment Network during this unfortunate "discharge" of the cops gun raid?

What a disgrace, what ever happened to the so called harmless tazers?? I am, and was sickened when they ran this on the news last night. Someone's baby girl was murdered by LEO, and sadly she isn't the only one this happened too. When will this senseless murder of citizens STOP!??

Looks like their is some footage of this, actual professional grade video. Was A&E's show, The First 48, really taping this entire incident?? Wow, how unbelievably sad. LEO showing off for a TV show ends up taking such a beautiful and innocent life... again...

edit: Looks like Jeffrey Figer is ontop of things. GO JEFF!! I'd like to see everyone, top to bottom involved in this to be in prison for years, and years, and years...

Sorry donkey cops so scard they have to go after a potential bad guy they kill a little girl. So scard they shoot any thing that moves it seems like. Why be a cop if your a trigger happy who-who.

The incident was being taped for an A&E show, Fiegar somehow got ahold of some of the tape saying that it shows at least 1 shot fired into the house before even going in contradicting the departments story.

An attorney for the family of a 7-year-old girl slain during a weekend raid at their Detroit home says video footage contradicts the police department's version of events.

Geoffrey Fieger (FI-ger) said Monday that footage shot by the A&E crime-reality show "The First 48" shows that police fired into the home at least once after lobbing a flash grenade through a window.

He says that contradicts the police department's explanation that an officer's gun fired during a confrontation with a resident inside the home.

Seven-year-old Aiyana Jones was shot in the neck and died.

Fieger says he viewed three to four minutes of footage but declined to say who showed it to him.

The police department says it is trying to acquire the video.

An A&E spokesman declined to comment.

———

Associated Press Writer Ed White contributed to this story.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Looks like their is some footage of this, actual professional grade video. Was A&E's show, The First 48, really taping this entire incident?? Wow, how unbelievably sad. LEO showing off for a TV show ends up taking such a beautiful and innocent life... again...

edit: Looks like Jeffrey Figer is ontop of things. GO JEFF!! I'd like to see everyone, top to bottom involved in this to be in prison for years, and years, and years...

I'd like to see the complete defunding of these paramilitary goon squads. Problem is our senators find law enforcement a supportive voting block and reward them with Byrne Grant slush fund money from the ONDCP to ensure their support.

What would Thomas Jefferson think about what our government has become?

WTF? how the phaq they gonna get justice? why is this cop being paid still and not in jail waiting for a noose?

Who dont like guns now?" M fers come to my house they best be shooting cause I know they will be ducking, kill my dog or kid and you will pay! there wont be any news story, well maybe something like "LEGAL MM GROWER SHOOTS UP THE WHOLE PO PO FORCE WHEN THEY TRY TO ENTER HIS HOME FOR NO REASON!

You folks wonder why im so fricking paranoid? be paranoid we have good reason, arm yourself, it may be your child you save!

I'd like to see the complete defunding of these paramilitary goon squads. Problem is our senators find law enforcement a supportive voting block and reward them with Byrne Grant slush fund money from the ONDCP to ensure their support.

Hey Newbie! Welcome aboard lol. biggrin.gif

i heard about this yesterday it is a disgrace. the old saying innocent until proven guilty does not exist anymore. we are ALL guilty in leos eyes even when they don't know what the heck is going on.they were at the wrong address.what happend to knocking on the door to serve their search warrants? instead they come in with guns drawn ready to shoot anyone including children.i'm sure the father would have let them in his house to search .if they would have told him they had a warrant first he could have told them they had the wrong address.now his baby girl is gone forever and no amount of money or apologize will bring her back.this is terrible and could have been prevented if leo didnt think they can make their own rules.how many times must this happen to innocent people and their children before someone steps in and stops it.it is up to us people we must stick together and fight for our rights before this happens to more of us.if there is anywhere to make donations to this family please post it i would like to help if i can.

Brad,

I feel as you do about this. There is no reason why this child is dead.

Mizerman

p.s. I realize the suspect they were looking for is accused of murder. I remember the news story about the shootings at the gas station. With that being said, if he is guilty of these crimes/murders...this is why I would like to see the death penalty put into place for our cash-strapped state. But, this little girl being killed absolutely disgusts me...as she didn't do anything wrong other than just being a little girl. This is just sad. Goon squad at its finest and the officer is on PAID ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE!

Guest Wayne

Don't worry the police will be investigating the police on this one. Kinda like the game CLUE. I already got it figured out. It was grandma, in the living room, with the cops gun.

I wasted 15 dollars on the "10 Rules for dealing with the police" It didn't even cover responding to flash grenades detonating in your home when your asleep with your children.

Seems they need to cover this in the next edition.

The only thing that comes to mind is the shortest verse in the Bible, "Jesus Wept". This kind of think must truly break his heart.

Amen!

To that profoundly truthful statement, I'd also like to add these hopeful words:

"In that day I will also make a covenant for them With the beasts of the field, The birds of the sky And the creeping things of the ground. And I will abolish the bow, the sword and war from the land, And will make them lie down in safety.

http://bible.cc/hosea/2-18.htm

And, this faithful prophecy:

"And He hath judged between the nations, And hath given a decision to many peoples, And they have beat their swords to ploughshares, And their spears to pruning-hooks, Nation doth not lift up sword unto nation, Nor do they learn any more -- war."

http://bible.cc/isaiah/2-4.htm

And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

http://bible.cc/matthew/18-3.htm

And, we hope . . .

. . . You will be at peace with the stones of the field, and its wild animals will be at peace with you.

http://bible.cc/job/5-23.htm

May YHWH grant you COMFORTING, PEACE, HOPE, HEALTH and HEALING.

May you always be rich in Spirit.

And, finally and forever, Be FREE! (once and for all . . . from all of the pain . . .)

UPDATE MAY 20, 2010

Police Chief: Officers were within policy

COLUMBIA, MO. -- Update: 5:00 p.m.

A Columbia Police Department internal affairs investigation shows the actions of their SWAT team were appropriate when they forced their way into Columbia home during a failed drug raid.

Columbia Police Chief Ken Burton released the findings of the report involving a search warrant that received worldwide attention.

Burton said his officers followed policy and the law during a February drug raid that was captured on video and circulated around the world on the internet. Burton also said his officers should do things differently in the future so this type of incident doesn’t happen again.

“I actually have no issue with apologizing for what happened that night, as long as it is made clear that the officers were acting under what they believed was proper protocol and procedure,” Burton said.

Burton changed several search warrant policies because of the incident at the home of Jonathon Whitworth. In most cases, Columbia SWAT teams will now serve warrants within eight hours of receipt. It took eight days to serve the warrant associated with the police video.

Columbia’s SWAT team will not use forced entry if children are present, except under extreme circumstances.

One thing that remains the same is the department’s policy on the use of force against animals. Officers shot and the killed the family pit bull during the Whitworth raid. Burton plans to buy eight more helmet cameras for his SWAT team so every member wears one during every raid. Police critics said the changes are a move in the right direction.

“The fact that it was photographed and that there was video of it has made people realize how much violence is being used to investigate non-violent crimes,” ACLU attorney Dan Viets said.

While members of the SWAT team are not in trouble, a young police officer is under investigation. On the night of the incident, that officer lied to a neighbor of the defendant and said the raid was a training exercise, when he should have said he didn’t know what was happening.

My commentary...

This story is perhaps the most glaring example of why we must pressure our elected officials to defund and disband multijurisdictional task forces and stop these unconstitutional paramilitary incursions against American citizens. There is absolutely no reason to spend scarce public resources to organize, train and equip goon squad mercenaries to conduct covert military-style operations against non-violent marijuana consumers. Small-time cannabis warrants should be served with a knock on the door of the suspect like they did in the old days.

No one deserves to be shot over cannabis. Sadly, even Chief Burton admits that black ops will continue. Only by continued pressure on our elected officials from vigilant freedom fighters will this disturbing practice cease. Please contact our senators and send them the note below.

Contact Sen. Levin: http://levin.senate.gov/contact/

Contact Sen. Stabenow: http://stabenow.senate.gov/email.cfm

Honorable Senators Carl Levin & Debbie Stabenow

Multijurisdictional narcotics task forces are becoming increasingly destructive elements within communities across the country. The cost to organize, train, and equip these forces far outweigh any benefit they provide to communities. When task force members become too aggressive, legal actions cost communities large sums of money and damage their image. Additional damage to private property, trauma to bystanders, and the destruction they cause to friends, family and neighbors are incalculable costs. Scarce public resources should be allocated to preserving families and creating jobs, not destroying them.

With so many recent examples of task force initiated tragedy, how can you not do something? A simple solution is to redirect a percentage of Byrne Grant funds for enforcement into treatment options and cannabinoid research over a period of years until Byrne is zero'ed out. Addressing the narcotics problem from a public health perspective will achieve a far better return on investment than our criminalization strategy currently yields.

Senators, you have the ability to put an end to these unconstitutional incursions. Please follow your heart and do your jobs by stopping the unspeakable violence inflicted upon American citizens by those we trust to protect us.

Sincerely,

(Your name here)

You folks wonder why im so fricking paranoid? be paranoid we have good reason, arm yourself, it may be your child you save!

Careful with that!!

Arming yourself that way will only result in everyone in the house being dead.

Those are the rules .. they can shoot us and we can't shoot back. If you violate the rules, overwhelming force (up to and including thermonuclear weapons) will be used against you. Those who are near you, at the time, will probably be collateral damage.

Bad idea unless you can match the firepower.

The only thing that comes to mind is the shortest verse in the Bible, "Jesus Wept". This kind of think must truly break his heart.

We all weep for this family and all other families going through the same thing..God Bless! :(

Archived