Flowering Times For General Indica Strains

Just doing some research and reading and more research and a lot more reading. What I would like to know is simple for someone to answer who has grown in the past. From what I have read, most indica strains flowering times are around eight weeks long. What I don't know is what that means exactly. Here's my dilemma:

You grow from seeds and therefore don't know whether the plants are male or female. After a few weeks in veg state the plants should show a preflower. While I have seen pictures of this, I think it would be hard for me to spot them. I have also read that you can just stick the plants in a 12/12 cycle and after two weeks you should be able to sex the plants. Of course there is a method on where you veg the plants, then take two cuttings of each and put those cuttings, (after rooting) into the 12/12 and then you can find out if you have a male or female. That is just too much for someone who can only have 12 plants total. To make that viable you would only be able to grow four plants, as two cutting from each would make you hit your limit of twelve. Ok, back to the real question.

So, let's say you put four plants into a flowering cycle of 12/12. Do you start counting weeks from the day you start this cycle or do you count the eight weeks from the day they start to show sex?

I am sure I will have to get a notebook as trying to keep this all straight is going to be harder than trying to figure out what nutes to use and where to buy them providing I can afford them. Hopefully, I will find a few good strains where I can keep a mother plant to take cuttings from and that will take the sexing part totally out of the equation. But then I still need to know when you start to count the eight week timer.

I fully realize that each strain is different and each plant has it's own characteristics. But if I know about when they should be ready, then I could maybe get a magifying scope or loope or something to take a look at the trichromes, then only harvesting when they are pearly, milky, cloudy as after they turn amber the thc starts to degrade.

Hopefully I haven't confused anyone here with my rambling train of thoughts. Thanks

Archived