Organic Soil Recipes

bodhisattva

I was (still am?) willing to do the heavy work up front (mixing heavy soil) to ensure an easy go there after.

It has not worked out that way for me so far and it is back breaking work w/ out a mixer of some sort.

Even on my very small scale.

I have learned a ton about things I never knew and that has been worth the hassle for sure.

I have enjoyed this journey, frustrations and all.

I am looking at deficiencies right now and hoping I can properly diagnose and correct what's happening.

Yeah, poo and animal bi products I have issue with and it is my intent to avoid them.

The EJ has guano in it and I've never used guanos (Guano harvesting is destroying the Bat's habitat

and... aside from it being poo... I cannot abide by being a part of this destruction.

@ 4 weeks cooking when I opened this mixture, it stunk so badly of ammonia, I could barely turn it... gross.

@ 5 weeks it smelled like... well... dirt.

I have and still am making just about every single mistake a rookie can

1 of which was forgetting my major N amendments OOPS :startle:

That was not so fun trying to figure out where I went wrong.

I can clone like a champ, getting thru to harvest though has proved challenging.

Hey @Sune... we should meet up one of these Saturdays, talk organics and what not.

You know where I can be found :)

I buy my organic soil from Morgan Composting in Sears, Mi.  They supply soil cheaper than I can buy and build it.  IMI, as you know, the results are obviously superior.  It runs me about $1/gallon.  Just add water.

Where the heck is Sears, Mi ? lol jk.

Is this what you've been using all along?

Dang, so that's how you get those stunning beauties.

Anytime i ever used the miracle grow organic soil my flowers come out with a strange carrot flavor.

I have only used miracle grow on my vegtable garden, ie, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, broccili, brussle sprouts, I thought miracle grow was a big no no for mj?

I have been tempted to try it,  but I first need to get permission from the grow god's!

Peace

Just a newbie, but you see a lot of folks use MG for soil & nutes with great success including expert growers. Then there are detractors - including expert growers -who say it's garbage and recommend either homemade or expensive soils.. 

The main problem that gets mentioned regarding MG is the time release nature of the nutes which is hard to control.

I'm using MG "organic" which does not have added nutes. Only thing I added to the soil was vermiculite for better water retention. Nutes in the water. So far so good, but next go around I'll recycle the soil and add some of the good stuff suggested here & elsewhere (bone meal, worm castings...)

The stuff's got all these time released ferts in it making it very difficult to taper nutrients to cannabis flavor success. There wont be any "flushing" and

the soil is hot like it was when new for a long time. Nothing inherently wrong with it though, especially if used to amend peat or the like. Outdoors gets a lot more fertilizer use compared to indoors, meaning rain washing it away often, many other bacterium, fungus, plants and organisms are feeding off of the same ferts outdoors, depleting it quicker. Its no cheaper than pro grow mixes + ferts, so I avoid it.

but cow poop now....I see this is available at big box stores too. At 1 dollar a gallon the cost is spot on for potential patient savings.

garyfisher,

does the manure settle much when wet in a grow pot?  say, like potting soil would without the perlite?   Is there any perlite in the mix by you or the manu? 

After watering how much space is reduced roughly in a five pail once filled with dry manure the first time? 

This place isn't that far for me and my truck. I like the savings so far

Just a newbie, but you see a lot of folks use MG for soil & nutes with great success including expert growers. Then there are detractors - including expert growers -who say it's garbage and recommend either homemade or expensive soils.. 

The main problem that gets mentioned regarding MG is the time release nature of the nutes which is hard to control.

I'm using MG "organic" which does not have added nutes. Only thing I added to the soil was vermiculite for better water retention. Nutes in the water. So far so good, but next go around I'll recycle the soil and add some of the good stuff suggested here & elsewhere (bone meal, worm castings...)

my best product, also my most labor intensive was when I recycled dirt with 150k worms in the grow room. They ate only root balls and dried floor sweep and water. I didn't add any nutrients to the hot finished soil/worm castings mix. I loved the end results, but could not support the labor or recycle this way. Today spent soil goes into the outdoor greenhouse/raised beds/landscaping after every harvest.

my personal comparison here will be cash savings compared to 40 dollar bales of promix +  35$  organicare ferts per bale. still doing the math.

The stuff's got all these time released ferts in it making it very difficult to taper nutrients to cannabis flavor success. There wont be any "flushing" and

the soil is hot like it was when new for a long time. Nothing inherently wrong with it though, especially if used to amend peat or the like. Outdoors gets a lot more fertilizer use compared to indoors, meaning rain washing it away often, many other bacterium, fungus, plants and organisms are feeding off of the same ferts outdoors, depleting it quicker. Its no cheaper than pro grow mixes + ferts, so I avoid it.

but cow poop now....I see this is available at big box stores too. At 1 dollar a gallon the cost is spot on for potential patient savings.

garyfisher,

does the manure settle much when wet in a grow pot?  say, like potting soil would without the perlite?   Is there any perlite in the mix by you or the manu? 

After watering how much space is reduced roughly in a five pail once filled with dry manure the first time? 

This place isn't that far for me and my truck. I like the savings so far

It settles some.  They do add perlite but not much.  I left the mix alone and didn't change anything.  I have not tried it indoors but assume it would work great.  I would add perlite if indoors.  The main difference is they use Dairy doo as the main ingredient rather than peat moss.  My cost also included freight charges to get it across the state.  They make the mix specifically for MM.  They have 3 mixes.  clones, veg and flower.  This is the flower mix called Fall 301.

Edited by garyfisher

Here is a quote from the email I received regarding the components. 

These mixes are
  actually more compost and  bark  based than peat  based.
  They have 16-17 ingredients  but we do  not  supply the  whole ingredient list because  it  is our  proprietary  mix. There are worm  castings,  kelp  meal, rock  phosphate and  feather meal included. I  apologize that I  am  not able to give the whole  ingredient  list.

I have only used miracle grow on my vegtable garden, ie, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, broccili, brussle sprouts, I thought miracle grow was a big no no for mj?

I have been tempted to try it,  but I first need to get permission from the grow god's!

Peace

Miracle Grow is frowned upon in many circles because it is not "organic". Works great though.

is that from Morgan composting Gary?

they supply the dairy doo product line?

http://www.dairydoo.com/retail-store/

i have considered many times switching to them.. i hear you can go and get a truckload for pretty cheap...

on a side note..that's an excellent grow bag you have gotten yourself there..and i LOVE your portable stand for it.. looks way more high tech then the simple stands i built...mine have wheels but don't have an engine :)

Miracle Grow is frowned upon in many circles because it is not "organic". Works great though.

I have house plants that are 5-7 years old that still have those little green pellets in the soil.

They have been up potted several times.  The fert pellets are left over from the original

soil the plants were purchased in.  Time released?  I guess so!

I think someone already mentioned that MG does have an 'organic' mix now. I do think I

saw it at the Home Depot.

There was a time when MG was the standard for my house plants, it beat out store bought

'potting soil' crap.  I  soon discovered my plants liked me better when I began going to the

nursery (yes, that was before the grow store era lol), buying my components and mixing

them according to each plants need.

I am finding a bit more of a challenge mixing my own for cannabis though.

I am learning a lot along the way and will soon be a 'master grower' haha!

I have tried several of the pre mixed soils meant specifically for cannabis and all have fallen short.

My search brought me hear to this thread and is why I resurrected it :)