Help With New Plants

vender

Is there a forum to post plant problems? Well this is mine... I started them about 3 weeks ago from seed. I grow hydro. PH is about 6.0. The PPM's are 560, the ppm's keep rising. I start at 300ppm using Humbolt A,B and it goes up? They are growing great just have some brown spots. No water is splashing the leaves. I water every 3rd hour for about 15 minutes. The lights are 20 on 4 off. Let me know if you need more info. I have attached pictures. Any ideas? Thanks.

Is there a forum to post plant problems? Well this is mine... I started them about 3 weeks ago from seed. I grow hydro. PH is about 6.0. The PPM's are 560, the ppm's keep rising. I start at 300ppm using Humbolt A,B and it goes up? They are growing great just have some brown spots. No water is splashing the leaves. I water every 3rd hour for about 15 minutes. The lights are 20 on 4 off. Let me know if you need more info. I have attached pictures. Any ideas? Thanks.

What type of water do you use (R/O, Distilled, Tap, etc)? What is the ppm of your water before mixing nutrients? What is the temp of your res? What is the temp of your room?

By the looks of it you have a calcium deficiency, which can be easily corrected by adding Cal-Mag to your res.

They also look like they may be a bit overwatered, which could cause them to lock out some or all calcium uptake. You may want to try watering a bit less frequently as well.

I am using dehumidifier water. the ppm is 26 before nutes. The room is cool about 69 degrees and 70 percent humidity. Is that to cold? I was thinking of adding a heater? The leaves are kinda droopy and some are getting a little crispy but still green. How important is the res temperature? I never checked it.

Looks like your web site is down? micompassion.com

I am using dehumidifier water. the ppm is 26 before nutes. The room is cool about 69 degrees and 70 percent humidity. Is that to cold? I was thinking of adding a heater? The leaves are kinda droopy and some are getting a little crispy but still green. How important is the res temperature? I never checked it.

Res temps are VERY important.

You should be fine at room temps. Remember that you need to let the water acclimate, it's coming out of the tap a lot colder, but you said dehumidifier.

Too high and you get algae and bad growth, too low and the roots shock, probably under 65 degrees. I imagine under 60 would be deadly or growth would slow to nothing. Just a guess.

The temps are fine, a little low. The humidity is high.

They also look like they may be a bit overwatered, which could cause them to lock out some or all calcium uptake. You may want to try watering a bit less frequently as well.

I agree with you MI'C it simply looks like he has over-watered. (i hate hydroton in so many ways)

I would be guessing root rot is forming, causing multiple issues.

I too would back off the watering: to once every 6 hrs (if not less), see where you are at in 2 weeks. If you can see roots what colour are they ? They also look like bagseed ??

(BTW some of the best land strains are grown in 100% humidity, but yes can be issue for mold, fungi and bacteria - causing such things as root rot.)

Regards

Ian

PS. If you still have issues in a week or two , you do have options.

With any near 0 ppm water (R/O, Distilled, etc) in a hydro setup I find cal-mag a must. If you water half as often as myself and Ian suggested and add cal-mag to your res as per the instructions on the bottle you should be able turn things around.

I find optimal growing temps indoors are 75-78, however they will grow fine at 69, but growth will not be optimal. High humidity in veg is fine for most grows, but with humidity that high it's likely adding to the overwatering issues and any possible root rot issues you might have (anything but nice bright white roots indicate a problem). For flowering you want much lower humidity, as 70% humidity will surely encourage bud rot and mold problems during flowering.

Also remember that overwatering doesn't mean giving them too much water, it means watering too often. Cannabis likes to nearly dry out between watering, and is very resistant to underwatering but very susceptible to overwatering as many strains genetics originates from very arid desert like climates. The closer you can come to replicating nature the better results you will get.

And yes our website is down at the moment, but should be back up very shortly.

Lots of great info thanks. The Hydroton is one planting old and I did wash and dry it. The res is 11 gallons. The roots look great, white and healthy. The seeds are right from Amsterdam Blackjack and Whitecastle. I have cut back on the watering 3 times daily every 7 hours. I also increased the fans to clear out the humidity. This is a closed system I made. It is cold cause it is in the basement but when the weather gets warmer it will heat up. This setup worked awesome on my first crop, perfect.

Why dont you like Hydroton? What do you instead?

Thanks again all.

I am going to get Cal-Mag today.

Lots of great info thanks. The Hydroton is one planting old and I did wash and dry it. The res is 11 gallons. The roots look great, white and healthy. The seeds are right from Amsterdam Blackjack and Whitecastle. I have cut back on the watering 3 times daily every 7 hours. I also increased the fans to clear out the humidity. This is a closed system I made. It is cold cause it is in the basement but when the weather gets warmer it will heat up. This setup worked awesome on my first crop, perfect.

Why dont you like Hydroton? What do you instead?

Thanks again all.

I am going to get Cal-Mag today.

Ok, well it sounds like you've got it under control. I'm still curious why the ppm's are going up. Thats the only thing that concerns me.

Ya the ppm's going up is kinda strange. I was going to dump the res and start over. Is it normal for Indica's leaves to droop a little? The plant look great other than the Cal-mag deficiency. The humidity has drop after I increased the fans time. Should I think about a heater for the box?

Thanks.

Ya the ppm's going up is kinda strange. I was going to dump the res and start over. Is it normal for Indica's leaves to droop a little? The plant look great other than the Cal-mag deficiency. The humidity has drop after I increased the fans time. Should I think about a heater for the box?

Thanks.

Hey Vendor. Personally I use coco. Your PPM problem : If your PPM (EC) is going up, it mean that your plant is consuming more water than nutrient. So this means that you can back of the nutes slightly and try and find the stable balance.

Regards

Ian

Vendor,

Ian is correct the upward ppm / ec drift is because the plants are using more water. This is perfectly natural, balance with more water with a little Ph- down to control the pH drift. Temp and Humidity are great, what I have found with a full room the more air you circulate the higher the humidity goes. Just a gentle breeze is all they need.

Oh and by the way your biggest problem I see here is your PH is too high for hydro. Dial it down to 5.6. This is my optimum range. To get your res down dont do it all at first, if possible do over a couple of days / waterings with aggressive doses till you get/see results. In fact you will have to knock your res down to like 4.0 or less to bring the buckets down. Hydroton will naturally pH up with normal plant activities, tapers off somewhat during late flowering.

Not familiar with your nutes.

Update... I dumped all my water res and storage. I noticed a red "algae" on the bottom of the tanks. Not sure why. When I was redoing my res I noticed that the ppm's were not going up that much when nutes were added. Do nutes get weaker as they get older? As for the ppm's going up I also noticed when I added the bubble to the res the ppm's went down /up. Can I add something to my water storage to keep the algae from growing? Bleach?

Thanks

Update... I dumped all my water res and storage. I noticed a red "algae" on the bottom of the tanks. Not sure why. When I was redoing my res I noticed that the ppm's were not going up that much when nutes were added. Do nutes get weaker as they get older? As for the ppm's going up I also noticed when I added the bubble to the res the ppm's went down /up. Can I add something to my water storage to keep the algae from growing? Bleach?

Thanks

Droopy leaf, means not enough water in most cases (or heat)... you need to find balance.

To stop the algae use H2o2 which is a GARDEN hydrogen peroxide... but use 1/4 strength.

No Nutes don't fade, your plant eats. Also are you using a DIGITAL PPM meter ? When was last time you changed battery ?

DONT feed bleach to your plants you will kill them really quickly !!

Droopy leaf, means not enough water in most cases (or heat)... you need to find balance.

To stop the algae use H2o2 which is a GARDEN hydrogen peroxide... but use 1/4 strength.

No Nutes don't fade, your plant eats. Also are you using a DIGITAL PPM meter ? When was last time you changed battery ?

DONT feed bleach to your plants you will kill them really quickly !!

Well said.

Yo Vender,

Calm down dude. Did you wash the hydrioton before you planted. This is most likely the cause of your 'algea' problem. OK then, now we'll consider it washed. It probably was the best thing for your plants. What did you do with the old nutes?

This time just pH the water to 5.6, maybe give them a little of your nute mix. Keep the ppm lo for a couple days, 25 -50 ppm, if your using RO water, should get them to lift up, if its not too late.

Archived