Houghton County Area Club

Silverblue

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could find someplace to go, if only I could contact the man running the CCC to find out where the new meeting place is in the Houghton/Hancock area. It's discouraging to know about something, then have trouble contacting people for information. I don't know what it is about this area and why this happens not only in the MM community. :( If I'm the only person on this site that's near these areas I will be very sad.

Silverblue

Hi Dr. T I appreciate your help though I think there are 2 different places with the name Houghton in it, I never heard of a Houghton Lake till I came to this site, the Houghton County I know of has Michigan Tech in it..

Silverblue

Houghton Lake is Actually Southern Michigan. Trolls get their directions messed up from living under da bridge eh.

Copper Country Compassion Club is what i am guessing you are referring to in Houghton.

This was their website:

http://houghton-hancockcompassionclub.ning.com/

I am not sure if they exist still?

I think they had become UPNORML or somesuch? But UPNORML was dissolved, so... some were absorbed into Mi-NORML. Beyond that i do not know.

There is a Compassion Club in Dickinson County:

http://www.dickinsoncountycc.org/index.php

They can be contacted through that site.

Houghton Lake is Actually Southern Michigan. Trolls get their directions messed up from living under da bridge eh.

Copper Country Compassion Club is what i am guessing you are referring to in Houghton.

This was their website:

http://houghton-hancockcompassionclub.ning.com/

I think they had become UPNORML or somesuch? But UPNORML was dissolved, so... some were absorbed into Mi-NORML. Beyond that i do not know.

http://www.dickinsoncountycc.org/index.php

its my girls last night of collage,guess i cant make it.after the 6 ill will be going to most of them,i cant get out till then,...no ride

ahhhh yes that's it Copper Country group, I tried looking on ning but couldn't find them, now I got it, I wrote it down wrong. thanks! I don't know what you mean by "troll" I just have no sense of direction and I don't drive. I saw a notice on ning's site a few days ago they're discontnuing the free services so I don't know how long this club will be there, the notice said something about an announcement in early May but I did find out a few things, though I can only read a little of each message because I'm not a member I saw enough of what I needed, will talk tothe cg, I don't wanna join ning but I may have to.

Silverblue

what is a troll? I hope you don't think I'm one, whatever it is; I have no sense of direction, it's not my fault and I'm unable to get around well. I know people who drive who have a bad sense of direction and they live in other places. A lot of people think the UP is not as good as other places, but we have some wonderful, caring people here and they have shown me a LOT of compassion despite my limitations.

Silverblue

LOL @ myself, found out I still had a ning account, thought I deleted it, so I signed up for the cc, am waiting for approval. If ning does discontinue their free service I don't know what'll happen with all those groups, I guess a lot will disappear. Silverblue

This was their website:

http://houghton-hanc...nclub.ning.com/

http://www.dickinson...c.org/index.php

lmao you are funny! so it is us below the bridge that are trolls? if so im coming up there and getting out of this ratt race! Peace to you!

IM a houghton lake troll! lol

Thanks for the info. About trolls, I never heard of that. I'm a Yooper, though not born here. I love it here, seen more kindness than in all my years in a city.

As for what names others get called, I don't know but I wouldn't use those words, they seem very unkind. It often seems like the UP and the LP are two different states. People tell me the LP gets the services and things they need faster than we do, and the UP gets everything last. It takes forever to get anything we need; that's why I was surprised to find a compassion club up here, found a cg without even looking, too, was someone I had met someplace else.

Silverblue

Ever since i moved up to Northern Michigan

every up here calls us " Trolls " cause we live

under the Bridge ...

and we call those that live south " Flat-Landers " ...

and those that live above the bridge " Yoopers " ...

I really don't think anyone means any harm by

using these names ?

I guess we all could be called worse .... LOL

It all good " Silverblue "

its my girls last night of collage,guess i cant make it.after the 6 ill will be going to most of them,i cant get out till then,...no ride

Hey i will miss officially remeeting you at the hl meeting.. come to the clare county meeting in the library in clare on the 10th at 12.. if you can.. would love to see you..

under the Bridge ...

using these names ?

LOL Dr. T, yes, we could be called worse. The Yoopers I talk to seem very proud to be known as Yoopers, though one told me I'm not a true Yooper because I wasn't born here, but I say, I survived the winter here, I feel that at least makes me an honorary Yooper. LOL

Silverblue

under the Bridge ...

using these names ?

im not offened by it ,i just dont get in to name calling,but ya its all good

Thanks for the info. About trolls, I never heard of that. I'm a Yooper, though not born here. I love it here, seen more kindness than in all my years in a city.

As for what names others get called, I don't know but I wouldn't use those words, they seem very unkind. It often seems like the UP and the LP are two different states. People tell me the LP gets the services and things they need faster than we do, and the UP gets everything last. It takes forever to get anything we need; that's why I was surprised to find a compassion club up here, found a cg without even looking, too, was someone I had met someplace else.

Silverblue

Amen. I'm not from the UP originally, but i lived there for 12 years, and i agree with just about everything you've said.

Hello again all, I called the cg and he said the group focuses mostly on growing. I forgot to ask him if he'd ask the organizer if he'd like to have the club listed here. I was hoping it'd be more like a support group, which the cg says it is but seemed to think it may not be for me since I'm not a grower so I'm totally discouraged but I'll still see if the man would give me permission to list the club here in case someone else might benefit from it, even if I can't.

Please be gentle, I'm hurting real bad.

Silverblue :(

I've spent most of today trying to find out whether or not there's an active Compassion Club in the Houghton/Keweenaw area. It doesn't look as if there is. Does anyone know what happened to the Copper Country Compassion Club? I see there is a UP NORML without any meetings scheduled...

I've spent most of today trying to find out whether or not there's an active Compassion Club in the Houghton/Keweenaw area. It doesn't look as if there is. Does anyone know what happened to the Copper Country Compassion Club? I see there is a UP NORML without any meetings scheduled...

Hi, I'm looking for that too, all I know is, they have a ning group but the owner hasn't checked it in awhile, ning is phasing out their free services so I don't know what will happen with that. I know a cg who's friends with the owner of the CC. I saw a link, saw a note on the ning site, someone asked what happened to the group, but since I'm still not an approved member I can't read the full threads, I just saw your profile and the pic there is the same one I saw at ning so I guess you're the same person? so I don't know what's up with it, last I heard, they meet at the Country Inn & Suites (behind Walmart next to the Rockhouse) but they haven't met for awhile, I don't know why. I'll call the cg again and tell him there's other people wanting to join and ask him to call the guy about it again. I've been trying to get more info for 3 weeks and it's very frustrating. I don't know anything about the UP NORML group, though I heard there was one somewhere. I know the campus had one for awhile.

Sb

Hi, I'm looking for that too, all I know is, they have a ning group but the owner hasn't checked it in awhile, ning is phasing out their free services so I don't know what will happen with that. I know a cg who's friends with the owner of the CC. I saw a link, saw a note on the ning site, someone asked what happened to the group, but since I'm still not an approved member I can't read the full threads, I just saw your profile and the pic there is the same one I saw at ning so I guess you're the same person? so I don't know what's up with it, last I heard, they meet at the Country Inn & Suites (behind Walmart next to the Rockhouse) but they haven't met for awhile, I don't know why. I'll call the cg again and tell him there's other people wanting to join and ask him to call the guy about it again. I've been trying to get more info for 3 weeks and it's very frustrating. I don't know anything about the UP NORML group, though I heard there was one somewhere. I know the campus had one for awhile.

Sb

Thanks for checking into this. The post on the Copper Country Compassion Club site was from me, and I haven't yet received a response. I strongly believe that we need an active compassion club here in our area. Please keep me posted, if you hear back from anyone. I'll do the same.

Archived