What I Don't Like About Coco

greenleaf

Drainage. I used at 50/50 mix with perlite, and there is too much drainage. The medium drains too much. It's messy for indoor gardening. It's sensitive to R/O and you can't use that much water with that much drainage.

Nutrients. It doesn't have a great nutrient foundation like soil.

Stability. The plants have a better foundation in soil. Especially when underwatered. Root stability.

Watering. Coco loves to be watered. For the hand water gardener, it's not so hot.

Soil. I like that soil has root stability, it isn't as sensitive to draughting, there are nutrients built right in, there are beneficial micro-organisms present.

Coco. It might be great with a dripper watering system and a rich Organic tea watered daily, with plent of amendments and perhpaps some worm castings.

What don't you like about it?

I do love that it's sterile. I like working with it. I like the clean feel.

On the other hand, I use my hands to work with the fish water that I use with it. :D You know, on transplanting and prepping new material and possibly recycling in the future.

The sugar water isn't so bad, but playing in fish water... Not so much.

Actually and honestly, I kind of like it. I've gotten used to it. I kind of like the fish nutrient smell. But I remember how repulsive it was at first, adn I ,now that it's possible that even if I wash up that maybe others can smell it. Gross.

So that's the down side. But in truth. Some weak fish solution or even fish solution that comes in contact undilute? It's not going to leave you smelly as long as you use some fragrant hand soap and 15 seconds worth of running water (although I use more time. :D) It appears to rinse right off.

The SUGAR water on the other hand? :lol: I love the smell of sea kelp and molasses. It fizzes and smells sweet. And makes pot stronger and tastier.

As I'm now turning my attention to vegetable gardening and possibly away from the idea of Primary Caregiving for hire to the public, I'm wondering what Cannabis nutrients and natural elements will do on the veges.

Not sure I'll use Coco. That's my thoughts.

I do love that it's sterile. I like working with it. I like the clean feel.

On the other hand, I use my hands to work with the fish water that I use with it. :D You know, on transplanting and prepping new material and possibly recycling in the future.

The sugar water isn't so bad, but playing in fish water... Not so much.

Actually and honestly, I kind of like it. I've gotten used to it. I kind of like the fish nutrient smell. But I remember how repulsive it was at first, adn I ,now that it's possible that even if I wash up that maybe others can smell it. Gross.

So that's the down side. But in truth. Some weak fish solution or even fish solution that comes in contact undilute? It's not going to leave you smelly as long as you use some fragrant hand soap and 15 seconds worth of running water (although I use more time. :D) It appears to rinse right off.

The SUGAR water on the other hand? :lol: I love the smell of sea kelp and molasses. It fizzes and smells sweet. And makes pot stronger and tastier.

As I'm now turning my attention to vegetable gardening and possibly away from the idea of Primary Caregiving for hire to the public, I'm wondering what Cannabis nutrients and natural elements will do on the veges.

Not sure I'll use Coco. That's my thoughts.

CoCo for me just seems easy to wrk with. The plants seem to like it's consistency. Were in soil sometimes I feel there can be hot spots with all the amendments.I also get much more consistent ph run off with coco. But thats a tail I would reccomend chasing. Have seen people using coco in hydroponics like E&F with good results. Though the stuff I get stays wet much too long to water daily. I usually water every 2 or 3 days with coco and every 5 or 6 with soil. It all works out with a few modifications over time.

• 3 months later...

Down in North Carolina, and Texas, at farms, I raise black soldier flies as composters ... in a coir bedding ... once a few dozen pounds of vegetable matter is digested and casted, the coir takes on a new constitution ... I am just entering the MM realm and intend to plant some test subjects in just this with a few worm castings and I will share my findings and observations ...

Namaste,

Zy

• 1 year later...

Coco and coco based soils have far less ph problems than other soil/soil-less mediums. Amended coco gives the best of both worlds for organic growing. Coco is reusable for about a year if using hydroponics. Coco is environmentally friendly and cheap. Adjust perlite to get desired water and root retention.

CoCo for me just seems easy to wrk with. The plants seem to like it's consistency. Were in soil sometimes I feel there can be hot spots with all the amendments.I also get much more consistent ph run off with coco. But thats a tail I would reccomend chasing. Have seen people using coco in hydroponics like E&F with good results. Though the stuff I get stays wet much too long to water daily. I usually water every 2 or 3 days with coco and every 5 or 6 with soil. It all works out with a few modifications over time.

A proper soil grow and the soil adjust its ph...read into it checking ph in a true soil grow is silly...plants thrive on inconsistency, dif roots eat dif things...dif roots grow to seek out dif things....dont agree dig up a plant outdoors once and study its root ball....organic amendments used right will not create hots spots, it will create feedings zones...watch out then ur growing like nature n u cant fek with that lol

I went from bubble buckets to coco and I'm not looking back so far, its only been 5 weeks so I'll hold total judgement off for now but so far so good. popped 6 bag seeds to do a test run with the coco to see how it goes. All 6 had a 1/4" or more taproot out, I stupidly placed them in rapid rooters, that was a big mistake. I enlarged the holes of the rapid rooters before I put the seeds in but they seemed to seal back up? The seeds were having a hard time coming up so I cut the rooters and threw the beans in some coco with perlite at the bottom of the 10oz beer cup watered with tap water a few times a day to keep moist but very very small amount of water maybe 2oz each time. Anyways all seeds were up by 11/2 continued the light water until 6 days later, 11/9 they got 1/2 nutes using dry maxibloom (7g/gal full feed), protekt silica (5ml/gal full feed), and calimagic(5ml/gal full feed). They got a light feeding every day until 11/14 the half feed came out to 1.2ec and 600ppm ph around 5.8-6.3. 11/15 to today they have been getting a full feed (EC 2, PPM 1000, PH 6.0) every day besides 11/20 and 12/4 when they got tap water flush. The coco seems to hold salt a bit but if you're aware of that a total newbie to coco like me can have 6 healthy looking girls all with roots loading the bottom of 16oz cups, they're ready to be transplanted to their 3gal homes until they flip to flower and their 5gal finishing buckets but I'm still building my rooms.

That got way too long winded due to my morning medication I apoligize but basically it says that coco is much easier to control and I don't see a difference in growth between the coco and the DWC but like I mentioned I hand water almost as much as peoples dripper systems so its a tough comparison

If you're on the fence, get a bag of coco, get some perilite, and if you have hydro nutes use those, make up a few hempy buckets or put them in with your dripper system and compare the results to see what you think, so far I'm very satisfied :goodjob:

• 3 weeks later...

Coco is just plain versatile. Its added to a lot of "potting" soils now-a-days any ways. The bags of soil have an ingredients list, check em :P

In hydro apps, the SunLeaves Chunky Peace Coir is the whip for me. But I digress I am becoming a believer in zero medium for DWC/AERO. Mediums tend to stunt growth in these systems until roots are free from the medium. Supporting the plant is the tough part about no medium grows.

I think most of what you stated you don't like about coco is due to cutting it 50/50 with perlite. Of course it's going to drain fast and then dry up quick. Just use pure coco. That's what it's made for, no need to cut it.

I tried that, no good every time I watered the medium shifted and moved uncovering the seedlings roots and killed them shortly. When I mixed pro-mix with it(50%)no more problems.

Archived