Grow Journal For Dr Greenthumbs Chemdawg#4 Cut

Hello everyone, I just received my seeds that I ordered and plan to post a grow journal here for Dr Greenthumbs Chemdawg#4 cut.This is an S1 backcross of the original clone. I have grown The Docs stuff many times and have a lot of confidence in this selection,and this is my reason for doing the journal.I want to stress this is not an advertisement and the end results will be judged impartially by patients,and then you may make your own decision on the results.I received the seeds within 1 week of ordering using the express delivery option. I will be germinating the seeds in a day or so and will make regular posts with results,pictures,method used,and products used.Will talk to you all soon.

Kind Regards,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone.

Sorry I have not gotten back yet, I've been having computer problems but all is fixed now(hopefully). I will make a detailed report later today(very tired right now) but I can report good news in that all six of the seeds that I germinated were succsesful!

I received my 10 pack of seeds that I ordered from Doc(actually 11 pack as I have always received an extra on every order)and proceeded to germinate six of the 11.I never attempt to germinate all the seeds at once because you never know what can happen.I mixed a shotglass sized solution of 1/8 strength Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Flowering formula with about a drop or two of Rootech cloning gel making sure the gel was well dissolved.I then started soaking the seeds in the solution at exactly 12:00 p.m. 4/19 making sure to poke them every once in a while to make sure they break the water tension and sink to the bottom.If your seeds refuse to sink they probably are not viable but keep trying as some strains have a hard time letting in the moisture to start the germination process(sometimes you need to scuff them up a bit gently).I let them soak for about 10 hours and then placed them in between two moistened folded up paper towels in an open Gladware container placed on top of a germination heating mat,checking every couple of hours to make sure the paper towels didn't dry out.At 12:00 pm 4/20 the taproots on all six seeds were poking out about 1/8" to 1/4"(not a bad date to be born on).This is where I differed from my usual germination procedure to Doc's germination instructions that came with the order.I usually place the taproot facing down but Doc's instructions said to plant them with the pointed end of seed and taproot that is protruding 1/8" to 1/4" facing UP,covering it with 1/2" of media.I followed these instructions planting them in Fox Farm"s Ocean Forest Potting Soil in 6.5"X 6.5"X 6.5" square plastic pots underneath 210 watts of 5000K tt-105 compact flourecents and noticed that it took about an extra day for the sprouts to break the surface.None of the six had any sign of the seed shell,as sometimes they can stick the and cause problems.I think this MAY be Doc's reason for planting that way.

As of 4/23 all six sprouts were well above the soil line.One or two stretched a little but that was my fault because of lighting position.As of today 4/29 all six have a nice first set of true leaves and are starting to look like little plants.I will start posting pictures after they develop a couple sets of leaves as no on wants to see boring seed and sprout shots.After they develop a few sets of leaves they will be placed under 420 watts of 5000K tt-105 compact flourecents to be vegged out.Will be using Bontanicare Pure Blend Pro vegetation formula,Botanicare's Liquid Karma,Botanicare Cal Mag,Higrocorp's Organa-Add,and or unsulphured molasses/100% pure organic aguave nectar(in your supermarket sugar section) as soon as necessary.I shouldn't need to add anything except maybe the molasses/aguave nectar to get the microbial activity in the soil going,as Fox Farms Ocean Forest Potting Soil is of very high quality.

I gifted a couple of seeds to a couple other people so HOPEFULLY I will have a couple of other end products to show everyone and compare how it performs under different growing parameters.

See you soon.

Hi everybody.

As of today 5/5 all 6 are still doing great. One of the six has a type of mutation where the leaves have a crinkled downward folding look. All five of others are normal and look identical except for a slight difference in size due to their positions under the sprouting light. They are starting to look like little cannabis plants now and are working on their third true set of leaves.They were just placed under a Sunleaves Satellite-IV 420 watt tt-105 compact floursecent light fixture. There are two 5,000-K bulbs and two 3,000-K bulbs in the fixture. I chose to mix the spectrum rather than go with all 5,000-K bulbs as I've always had better luck doing it this way. The only supplement used so far is Botanicare's Liquid Karma.

I will start posting pictures in the next day or two.

I don't know about the planting the taproot up tip, but I'm glad it worked for you! I can see that maybe it makes the root bend down and the leaves spring up, leaving the seed shell behind, under the dirt. I would be nervous the taproot would grow up, and out of the soil and expose itself to the light..?

But if it works... I will be watching to see what happens! Good luck! good choice of genetics!

I would be nervous the taproot would grow up, and out of the soil and expose itself to the light..?

But if it works... I will be watching to see what happens! Good luck! good choice of genetics!

That could not happen as gravity will always direct the taproot in the right direction. If you germinate seeds in moist paper towels on a plate and orient the plate so it is standing up vertically, the taproots will always sprout down between the paper towels and not into them.

Yeah, I know... it shouldn't happen. but if you accidentally planted em too close to the surface it could stretch a bit and then bend down... never know. I was just typing out-loud... whatever that means.

As you know, that planting the seed taproot up is not normally done, and not normally recommended. What do you think are the reasons behind this method?

Hello,

That deformed one looks a little crazy, probably will turn out to be the most potent if a female. At least for me that seems to always be the case , I always pay close attention to those pheno types.

It will be female as it is an S-1 backcross to the original clone. I also like to see what happens when a spontaneous mutation occurs(who knows what the recombination of it's own chromosones could produce). I have a few better pictures of the mutated one but I am still trying to figure out how to add pictures. It's not as small as it appears as the leaves are curling under.

It will be female as it is an S-1 backcross to the original clone. I also like to see what happens when a spontaneous mutation occurs(who knows what the recombination of it's own chromosones could produce). I have a few better pictures of the mutated one but I am still trying to figure out how to add pictures. It's not as small as it appears as the leaves are curling under. I am basically a computer novice(just a surfer and lurker usually). I keep trying to attach pictures but I keep getting told that I don't have enough room left to attach pictures. Please message me if you have tips on how to put an image in a post properly.

Looking good. Good luck on that grow and please keep us updated.

completely different cuts? really? they came from the same batch of seeds. anything in that family is pretty darn sensitive. caution is all i'm trying to say.

Chemdawg 101

At a Grateful Dead show at Deer Creek Amphitheatre, 'joebrand' (aka 'wonkanobe') and 'pbud' met 'chemdog' and sold him an ounce of very high quality pot for $500. joe and chemdog exchanged numbers and they later arranged for two ounces to be shipped to chemdog on the east coast. According to chemdog, one ounce was seedless and the other had 13 seeds.

In ’91, chemdog popped the first 4 seeds. From these seeds, one male was found and disposed of (chemdog was young, you can’t blame him). The 3 females were labeled ‘chemdawg’ (now ’91 chemdawg), ‘chemdawg a’ (now chemdawg’s sister), and ‘chemdawg b’. In '01, chemdog and his girlfriend attempted to germ 3 more seeds, labeled ‘c’, ‘d’, and ‘e’. the ‘e’ seed never germinated, ‘c’ turned out to be junk (according to chemdog), and chemdawg ‘d’ was the keeper. In '06, 'chemdog' and 'joebrand' reunited and joe was given 4 of the last 6 beans: Chemdawg phenos 1-4, '4' being the chosen keeper. Joe thought the '4' was the best representation of the original and thus dubbed it the 'reunion pheno'. Chemdog still has two seeds left in his stash.

Chemdawg Crosses:

• 'OG Kush' (the original cut) came from an s1 from in a bag of '91 Chemdawg in the Lake Tahoe area in 1996.

• 'Sour Diesel' aka ECSD came from an accidental cross of ('91 Chemdawg x Mass Super Skunk/NL)x DNL after the DNL hermed and seeded the room. The DNL's lineage is NL/Shiva x Hawaiian.

• Original Diesel' (also known as Diesel #1, Headband, Daywrecker Diesel, Underdawg) came from a cross of '91 Chemdawg x (Mass Super Skunk x Sensi's Northern Lights) done by a guy known as ‘weasel’.

hope you don't get hermies. greenhouse seed co. tried to S1 the 91 Chemdawg and got a bunch of hermies. for hermie free stock chemdawg stock, try reservoir seeds on ic mag.

I have never gotten a hermie running any of Dr Greenthumbs S-1 clone only backcrosses. I have run four different ones over the years many times. Some were inadvertently exposed to a light leak and nothing happened. Doc's reputation depends on it, and he has as good a reputation as anybody currently breeding cannabis.

I've yet to hear of any of Doc's clone only elite's going herm on any of the forums including IC-Mag or from friends I have gifted cuttings or a seed from my original packs.

Here is a different description of the different Chemdawg's I made in another topic: There are 11 different genotypes of the original Chemdawg that was purchased at the Grateful Dead show in Colorado, of which five make up the most widely outcrossed, so it can get confusing. All off the five "common" types are some of the most legendary strains in the world.

In case anyone is interested the five are: '91 Chemdawg, Chemdawgs Sister, Super Chemdawg, Chemdawg D, and Chemdawg #4. The Genotype Chemdawg #4 is supposed to be the closest to the original strain that was purchased at the Grateful Dead show in Colorado, with Chemdawg D being a very close second. The '91 Chemdawg is the genotype that gave rise to Original Diesel, East Coast Sour Diesel, and the "original" O.G Kush if you believe the legends.

Depending on what legends you believe the original Diesel is just Chemdawg 91 that was renamed by some kids in New York that it was given to.

A quick update: All are still doing great. The mutant is still hanging in there. The other five's stems are starting to thicken nicely and are just starting to develop their sixth set of leaves.

The only supplements used so far is a foliar feed with Higrocorp's Organa Add and Liquid Karma from Botanicare.

I'll be watching this one, cant wait to see how it comes out.

BTW, those C-99's I was telling you about, well, one of mine came out a mutant like yours and it looks great now. It's only about 10 inches tall compared to my tallest at 23 inches, but looks better than the others.

Anyway, good luck!

Just a note.

We have never, ever had a single male or hemaphroditic plant from any of our feminized seed unless it was very late in flowering where this is a natural occurrence. We have developed our own method and so far it has prooven bullet-proof.

Just a note. ( Dr. Greenthumb Seeds post }

We have never, ever had a single male or hemaphroditic plant from any of our feminized seed unless it was very late in flowering where this is a natural occurrence. We have developed our own method and so far it has prooven bullet-proof.

Archived