Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

I have some Night Shade going right now. Smells almost like fruity pebbles! lol

Where did you get it??!?! I miss that strain so much, I was getting clones of it out in cali, I would loooove to get my hands on a few beans or a clone or two when I get situated in the next month!!

I got my Night Shade from Attitude. It's from Barneys Farm, they are the original breeders.

Great to know!! I never knew the breeder, nor do I venture outside of what I know often lol! I'm extremely happy now, thats one of my favorite daytime smokes, a nice balanced high not overpowering and the flavor is to die for!

HPS........ worst photo lighting ever :) but it's still fun to look at!!

med_gallery_13801_60_903868.jpg

Set your white balance for tungsten, or if you can set a K rating set it at 3000k ;) If you have a custom white balance take a flat gray card and shoot a pic under the HPS then set that to custom white balance and viola as good as the sun ;)

i need coffee

Are you still on the west coast or have you made it here yet? If the answer is yes, why are you up so darn early!!?? :lol: Also what is your take on T5 lighting? Any experience, I've always used it as supplemental, I'm thinking of going solid T5 for my veg room when I get my new place and using the MH I have as a supplement to my flowering room alongside my 1kw HPS. The #'s are there as far as lumens and color spectrum, but I don't know if it would really outperform a true HID lamp.

Are you still on the west coast or have you made it here yet? If the answer is yes, why are you up so darn early!!?? :lol: Also what is your take on T5 lighting? Any experience, I've always used it as supplemental, I'm thinking of going solid T5 for my veg room when I get my new place and using the MH I have as a supplement to my flowering room alongside my 1kw HPS. The #'s are there as far as lumens and color spectrum, but I don't know if it would really outperform a true HID lamp.

actually, i am somewhere between :blink:

i was in indiana. my brother and i left in a box truck yesterday headed for cali. we are delivering a family heirloom piano to my aunt in sacramento, and then headed to pack up my house and move it to michigan. excited, but exhausted already............ and we are just getting started. but there is incentive....... building my new grow room after all the moving is done. i even bought some new toys for the occasion. after having my old grow room for so long, and having it 100% dialed in, i am not looking forward to spending time working out new bugs, but i am a DIY guy, with a ton of growing experience............ is there anything better than building your dream grow room from the ground up?? ;)

as far as T5's go, i say go for it. i have never owned them, but i have seen them in action very closely......many times. this is all just my opinion of course..... but here ya go.....

IMHO i would not use t5 lights if the strain needed to be in veg for a "long" period of time. i had some widow that i would never think about vegging for longer than 2 weeks due to the fact that it was a rapid grower and tripled in height during flower, and i would have never had any 2nd thoughts about using T5 lights. but on the other hand, if a strain needs to spend a month in veg to produce the desired yield, i would stick with MH. that's just me..... and i think that even if you DID use T5 and veg for a month, any loss/slowed growth compared to MH would not be significant at all.......... and besides it would be made up for by having the extra lumens in flower since you could add the MH lamp to the flower room. and thats a whole other thread right there. mixing HPS with MH during flower. once again..... totally my opinion..... and once again, i think it has TONS to do with the strain choice.... but i have some theories from my personal experiences mixing the 2. in the strains that i grew, mixing at a 50-50 ratio (1000w HPS and 1000w MH) the buds seemed to be more light and airy than normal. this was a cloned strain that i had grown MANY cycles with and knew very well. i DID have an increase in yield..... but not major. so i tried a 1000w HPS and a 400w MH on a light track for even coverage. worked perfect for the strains i was growing. the added spectrum increased yield and didn't affect bud density. just my 2 cents..... but either way, it should be viewed as an upgrade to your grow for sure.

and so i don't have to add another post to my daily count (you will win today) :rolleyes: i just want to add a couple lines that really seriously touched my heart today. (and i'm a typical macho guy).

i got my first taste of michigan today. i will shorten the story as much as possible. my cell phone was ringing like mad early this morning as a flood of pictures was being sent to me. they were pics of a harvest sent to me by LONG TIME patient of mine from cali. (now an x-patient obviously. i have known for awhile about my moving and we made alternate arrangements for her a couple months ago) but anyways, through conversation over the years, she has told me that she has family in Michigan. i am originally from indiana/ohio, so it was something we had in common. i have called her a couple times over the past couple months to see how she was doing, and to make positive that her new arrangements were working out for her. never once was anything ever said about her growing, and i thought it odd to be receiving pics like that from her so i gave her a call. those pics were from a 6 plant harvest that occurred last night in michigan. my patient and her family in MI made the donations, spent the time and money, and jumped through the hoops making arrangements with a caregiver to have 6 plants grown for ME. they harvested last night and have made arrangements for it to be stored and used at my discretion, free of charge, to help me and my new patients in MI while i find needy patients, get my paperwork in order, and get back in cycle with my grow.

now i am not THAT old, but i can honestly say i almost had a heart attack. i have never met these people in my life..... only my patient back in california. wow. very touching for me.

actually, i am somewhere between :blink:

i was in indiana. my brother and i left in a box truck yesterday headed for cali. we are delivering a family heirloom piano to my aunt in sacramento, and then headed to pack up my house and move it to michigan. excited, but exhausted already............ and we are just getting started. but there is incentive....... building my new grow room after all the moving is done. i even bought some new toys for the occasion. after having my old grow room for so long, and having it 100% dialed in, i am not looking forward to spending time working out new bugs, but i am a DIY guy, with a ton of growing experience............ is there anything better than building your dream grow room from the ground up?? ;)

as far as T5's go, i say go for it. i have never owned them, but i have seen them in action very closely......many times. this is all just my opinion of course..... but here ya go.....

IMHO i would not use t5 lights if the strain needed to be in veg for a "long" period of time. i had some widow that i would never think about vegging for longer than 2 weeks due to the fact that it was a rapid grower and tripled in height during flower, and i would have never had any 2nd thoughts about using T5 lights. but on the other hand, if a strain needs to spend a month in veg to produce the desired yield, i would stick with MH. that's just me..... and i think that even if you DID use T5 and veg for a month, any loss/slowed growth compared to MH would not be significant at all.......... and besides it would be made up for by having the extra lumens in flower since you could add the MH lamp to the flower room. and thats a whole other thread right there. mixing HPS with MH during flower. once again..... totally my opinion..... and once again, i think it has TONS to do with the strain choice.... but i have some theories from my personal experiences mixing the 2. in the strains that i grew, mixing at a 50-50 ratio (1000w HPS and 1000w MH) the buds seemed to be more light and airy than normal. this was a cloned strain that i had grown MANY cycles with and knew very well. i DID have an increase in yield..... but not major. so i tried a 1000w HPS and a 400w MH on a light track for even coverage. worked perfect for the strains i was growing. the added spectrum increased yield and didn't affect bud density. just my 2 cents..... but either way, it should be viewed as an upgrade to your grow for sure.

and so i don't have to add another post to my daily count (you will win today) :rolleyes: i just want to add a couple lines that really seriously touched my heart today. (and i'm a typical macho guy).

i got my first taste of michigan today. i will shorten the story as much as possible. my cell phone was ringing like mad early this morning as a flood of pictures was being sent to me. they were pics of a harvest sent to me by LONG TIME patient of mine from cali. (now an x-patient obviously. i have known for awhile about my moving and we made alternate arrangements for her a couple months ago) but anyways, through conversation over the years, she has told me that she has family in Michigan. i am originally from indiana/ohio, so it was something we had in common. i have called her a couple times over the past couple months to see how she was doing, and to make positive that her new arrangements were working out for her. never once was anything ever said about her growing, and i thought it odd to be receiving pics like that from her so i gave her a call. those pics were from a 6 plant harvest that occurred last night in michigan. my patient and her family in MI made the donations, spent the time and money, and jumped through the hoops making arrangements with a caregiver to have 6 plants grown for ME. they harvested last night and have made arrangements for it to be stored and used at my discretion, free of charge, to help me and my new patients in MI while i find needy patients, get my paperwork in order, and get back in cycle with my grow.

now i am not THAT old, but i can honestly say i almost had a heart attack. i have never met these people in my life..... only my patient back in california. wow. very touching for me.

I see your points, I was figuring the additional light spectrum in the flower would be beneficial, but I'm weary on changing to T5's I think I'm probably just stick to using them as supplemental lighting as I usually go for 4 weeks veg, something about a "tree" makes me happy :lol:

Wow!! Just Wow!! That is amazing, those are some great people there, I am glad to say I am from a state with such caring individuals, I really don't know what to say haha, thats just flat out amazing! Congrats man. Congrats!

I have done very little indoor growing. I am almost to the point in my grow set up to start from seed a batch of White Widow from cannabisseeds.com. I have only grown previously in a primative box with 2 flouros and a small fan to get some random seeds ready to go outside :ph34r::unsure: . I am going to be using 3-2' grow flouros (75w ea.) to start seeds and clones :rolleyes: . I'm limited to about 2' of height in the cabinet (3-4 weeks), but they will go under a 600w HPS after that, with 7' of space to bloom. Im running an ultra reliable "Little Gray Box" 10,000 watt capacity water heater timer connected to a dual outlet on a designated 20 amp circuit so I can expand the lighting as funds come available B) . I want to do them right and feed them at the proper times, but not so much that they are over nourished. I will be using Sensi Grow A&B, Sensi Bloom A&B, & Humboldt Big Up powder has a schedule for feeding the final 4 times ^_^ . I doubt that I need to use both bloom formulas though they consist of different trace elements :blink: and NPaK values. I also have another Advanced Nutrients Big Bud powder that has many trace elements which I am not at all familiar with. I realize I can not feed them all of these, but wanted to experiment with them on different plants of the same genetics to chart results and do better the second round! Do I fertilize them every other time I water? Do I water every 3rd day? I'll. Be using 3 gal. pots and some larger. I will be using the Fox Farms Ocean Forrest for making the WW reach their full potential! Also will be growing Super Silver Haze and Himalayan Gold :D . Please comment if you can give this newbie some insight! Room is 6x10 and has small 4" duct booster fan for exhaust, and is in a relatively cool mederately dry basement. no duct connected to cool air hood on the light to increase temp of room 5-10 degrees. Have you ever heard anything good about Euro reflectors? Using AgroMax Bulbs. :) HTG Supply was fast ship and competitive prices to get my grow going. Any info you can provide will be used for medical purposes only!!!! :D Thanks KGB

I have done very little indoor growing. I am almost to the point in my grow set up to start from seed a batch of White Widow from cannabisseeds.com. I have only grown previously in a primative box with 2 flouros and a small fan to get some random seeds ready to go outside :ph34r::unsure: . I am going to be using 3-2' grow flouros (75w ea.) to start seeds and clones :rolleyes: . I'm limited to about 2' of height in the cabinet (3-4 weeks), but they will go under a 600w HPS after that, with 7' of space to bloom. Im running an ultra reliable "Little Gray Box" 10,000 watt capacity water heater timer connected to a dual outlet on a designated 20 amp circuit so I can expand the lighting as funds come available B) . I want to do them right and feed them at the proper times, but not so much that they are over nourished. I will be using Sensi Grow A&B, Sensi Bloom A&B, & Humboldt Big Up powder has a schedule for feeding the final 4 times ^_^ . I doubt that I need to use both bloom formulas though they consist of different trace elements :blink: and NPaK values. I also have another Advanced Nutrients Big Bud powder that has many trace elements which I am not at all familiar with. I realize I can not feed them all of these, but wanted to experiment with them on different plants of the same genetics to chart results and do better the second round! Do I fertilize them every other time I water? Do I water every 3rd day? I'll. Be using 3 gal. pots and some larger. I will be using the Fox Farms Ocean Forrest for making the WW reach their full potential! Also will be growing Super Silver Haze and Himalayan Gold :D . Please comment if you can give this newbie some insight! Room is 6x10 and has small 4" duct booster fan for exhaust, and is in a relatively cool mederately dry basement. no duct connected to cool air hood on the light to increase temp of room 5-10 degrees. Have you ever heard anything good about Euro reflectors? Using AgroMax Bulbs. :) HTG Supply was fast ship and competitive prices to get my grow going. Any info you can provide will be used for medical purposes only!!!! :D Thanks KGB

i have never heard anything about euro reflectors..... sorry. (im sure i have, i have just never paid attention)

great choice on the widow. i will never "toot my own horn" when it comes to growing meds, but i will say that i know the strain inside-out, upside-down, and backwards. feel free to pick my brain anytime you need to. i have been cultivating that strain for 14 years continuously.

as far as watering times/amounts....... that's a judgment call on your part. i dont wanna get into the differences between hydro and soil, but one of my problems with soil is related to your question. in soil we flood the roots. this is good because that flood contains the nutes necessary for proper growth. but that flood also suffocates the roots for a small length of time as well. after watering, the plant roots are basically laying in still water. still water contains no oxygen. obviously the roots choke until the soil dries out and allows air to enter the root ball once again. in bubbles there are never any of these "down times" in root growth.

anyways..... your goal is to find that happy medium level of moisture, and in time, you will be able to know when it is time to water by the weight of the pot/bucket. sounds weird, i know, but trust me..... it will happen. you will learn to "feel" the weight right after watering, and "feel" the weight when it is too light and time for watering. until you reach that point, you want to make sure that you are letting your soil dry completely, or near completely before watering again. it sounds like you have it just about right and know what you are doing. i watered about every 3-4 days when i grew in soil in 5gal buckets. of course your soil has nutes "built-in", but once the plants hit the point that they're depending solely on the nutes you add, i fed them every 3 waterings.

i have never used the nutes that you planned to use, so i cannot be of help as far as schedules/amounts (i use the Lucas Method), but i will say that if you are planning to experiment a little, make sure you stay on top of your ph levels. pretty obvious i know, but mixing and matching WILL play havoc with your ph. don't be afraid to flush OFTEN.

sounds like you know fairly well what you are getting into, and as always, that is good to hear. start a blog/grow journal, and grab a camera...... believe me, with a little effort on your part keeping us up-to-date with your grow, we will be able to walk you through the whole process, step by step, day by day, if you need it.

good luck!!

feel free to pop in ANYTIME you need something. Jibo and THC Farmer are usually around as well and are experienced growers who either have the answers, or know where to get them for you. i am moving across-country right now and won't be able to hang around all day everyday like usual. :D but i will still be in at least once a day.

Thanks BG for the comment. I'm hoping to germinate seeds this coming week after paint stink has dissipated! I have a small dome to keep moisture in for germing in between paper towels. I was told by afellow grower that I could also just tuck the beans in soil 1" below surface of soil with the pointy end up. Is this easier than messing with the paper towel and dome deal? Any additional help will be much appreciated! Thanks KGB :unsure:

I was told by afellow grower that I could also just tuck the beans in soil 1" below surface of soil with the pointy end up. Is this easier than messing with the paper towel and dome deal?

you can just place the bean straight into soil, yes, but i prefer to paper towel germ them first for a couple different reasons. if you do decide to place them directly in the soil, i would definitely go closer to 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep.... a whole inch is pretty far down there. it is MUCH easier to plant them a little shallow and add some dirt around the stem to help stabalize it than it is to dig up a seed because the sprout is too far away from the surface to get that little bit of light necessary to bust through the dirt.

first, if a seed doesnt germ, i want to know that it didnt germ because it wasnt a viable seed. although not totally common, things CAN happen in soil to prevent a perfectly viable seed from germinating. as long as you are clean and careful, and you know what you are doing, i would always paper towel them first. others will tell you different, but thats just me. as long as i have clean water, clean materials, and proper temps, a viable seed will germ in paper towels 100% of the time.

also, you touched on it a little..... "which end is up"??? there are tons of wives/witches tales about it, but the fact of the matter is there is no 100% certainty as to where the initial taproot will be coming from. once again, normally it will fix itself under the soil if planted up-side down, but that may equal a days lost growth, and if there happens to be some foreign object in the way (some people add different things to their media like pebbles, mulch ect.) that may stop the root from getting turned around.....

...........then there is the possibility of the seed pushing itself back out of the hole..... blah, blah,:D the list goes on and on......

IMO when you paper towel you are taking the germination 100% into your own hands..... just popping a bean in the dirt and saying a prayer is....... well it's just popping a bean in the dirt and saying a prayer. :blink:

Hi im new to growing and tried to make the time to read this entire thread but only got half way thru for today..LOL so i will just ask instead.. My veg room is averaging 71 degrees and 44% humidity.. should i raise the humidity?

if you can, yes, it would be ideal. depending on the size of your veg room a pan of water may just be enough (obviously not if you are vegging in an 8 x 10 bedroom) but yeah.... somewhere above 60% would make things go a little quicker/smoother for them.

my weather bug says there is 56% humidity in the outside air today..... so get as much of that in there as you can and you should be fine with the extra humidity added from normal plant respiration.

Guest Wayne

Any opinions on utilizing the Michigan summer sun during daylight hours, then supplementing the remaining 18 or 24 hr veg cycle, or 12 hr flower cycle, with artificial lighting? If getting a solid 8-12 hrs of sunlight would plants experience any growth, flower,trichome production improvement? Believe I'm entering uncharted territory but really like the idea of utilizing sunlight for intensity and savings.

Any opinions on utilizing the Michigan summer sun during daylight hours, then supplementing the remaining 18 or 24 hr veg cycle, or 12 hr flower cycle, with artificial lighting? If getting a solid 8-12 hrs of sunlight would plants experience any growth, flower,trichome production improvement? Believe I'm entering uncharted territory but really like the idea of utilizing sunlight for intensity and savings.

the savings would be there yes. if i were to play with the idea, i would ONLY do this during the veg period, and flower 100% indoors under artificial light. there are just too many accidents waiting to happen and mess up the flower cycle....

but as far as the veg goes i think you would be just fine. of course depending on your grow set-up, moving plants around everyday, twice a day, could be a pain, but if you are young and capable then go for it!!:D

also, i would only be using the summer sun until late july/early august because the sun obviously changes colors as fall approaches and that is not the best light for the veg cycle.

but yes, to make a long story short :blink: i have seen many people with just a couple plants put them near a window, or on a countertop for natural light during the day, and then supplement with nighttime artificial light....

once again, i would only do this during veg, but thats just me. the constant moving of the plants during flower only brings risk of broken branches, and it is so east to screw the light cycle up.....

Guest Wayne

My room is south facing, has a six foot sliding door, and a 4x4 venting skylight, I also plan on having a greenhouse attached to the building that will be immediately outside the patio door so movement is minimal, or none depending on how I set up lights. Black out shades and security in place. May just follow your advice on the flowering cycle. May try seasonal, sun cycle, growing on one or two plants just to compare results. Thanks for the advice.