Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

Just watch a video by Jorge Cervantes on youtube. He used 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide (3%) and 4 gallons of water in a container and washed the powdery mildew from cut stems/branches that were ready to harvest.

Then he sprayed it off and hung to dry. He set up a fan to speed the drying process.

Then he cut the fan leaves and trimmed up and hung up to cure.

Anyone every tried this method?

The powdery mildew on plants is on the small sugar leaves at bud.

I rinse/ wash all my fruits and veggies in white vinegar as it kills the mold spores.

Would vinegar also work for PM?

vinegar kills mold spores, pm is mold spores.

would it "work" ?  depending on your definition of "work" with cannabis, it may or may not. plain water can kill mold too. vinegar (acid) may not be the best thing to use on fresh/dried cannabis if mold is an issue. If you ever get colds, sick, have a chronic illness unresolved....just avoid moldy cannabis, in the grow room, in the drying room, and in your pipe too..... for best results...I advise tightening up any room with chronic PM issues. Proper controls are more expensive, yes, but well worth it with medicine.

peace out

stay well

A bigger dehumidifier works to reduce RH in a room, but I understand many mold issues are

happening because of night time temps/RH  combined. Raising heat at lights off will help to keep things dry, and of course more moving air is

always needed in an indoor grow room. air scrubbers are multi functional, they reduce mold spores as well as odors. More are needed in every indoor grow room.

I guess i m old fashioned, if i get mold  issues, i chuck the shet, no washing or drying, just throw it in the compost pile and bury it.. I then would clean the hell outta my room, and i dont have the cleanest rooms, but there is never bugs or mold, and yes i check it regularly, washing and repainting floors and walls.  I wouldn't recommend doing any using of moldy buds, no matter how clean i thought it was after wash ,, screw that! I know some will disagree with me, however that my personal opinion.. I have patients and truly would feel guilty if i ever gave them moldy or poor quality, all i got is my good name (rep) ,, who wants to risk that..  earning it back is harder than getting one in the first place.. JMHO

vinegar kills mold spores, pm is mold spores.

would it "work" ?  depending on your definition of "work" with cannabis, it may or may not. plain water can kill mold too. vinegar (acid) may not be the best thing to use on fresh/dried cannabis if mold is an issue. If you ever get colds, sick, have a chronic illness unresolved....just avoid moldy cannabis, in the grow room, in the drying room, and in your pipe too..... for best results...I advise tightening up any room with chronic PM issues. Proper controls are more expensive, yes, but well worth it with medicine.

peace out

stay well

A bigger dehumidifier works to reduce RH in a room, but I understand many mold issues are

happening because of night time temps/RH  combined. Raising heat at lights off will help to keep things dry, and of course more moving air is

always needed in an indoor grow room. air scrubbers are multi functional, they reduce mold spores as well as odors. More are needed in every indoor grow room.

I understand mold and is the reason all my fresh fruits and veggies get a thorough vinegar cleansing prior to taking up residence in my refrigerator.

Mold spores are everywhere and this is how I keep it from proliferating inside of the fridge too.

I would never try to wash it off my cannabis and agree 100% with

Willy;

I guess i m old fashioned, if i get mold  issues, i chuck the shet, no washing or drying, just throw it in the compost pile and bury it.. I then would clean the hell outta my room, and i dont have the cleanest rooms, but there is never bugs or mold, and yes i check it regularly, washing and repainting floors and walls.  I wouldn't recommend doing any using of moldy buds, no matter how clean i thought it was after wash ,, screw that! I know some will disagree with me, however that my personal opinion.. I have patients and truly would feel guilty if i ever gave them moldy or poor quality, all i got is my good name (rep) ,, who wants to risk that..  earning it back is harder than getting one in the first place.. JMHO

Should have pitched all of it far from your grow immediately, if you've had it around this long after finding it you'll prolly have plenty more to deal with now. Get rid of anything with mold on it, bleach your room, dry box, anything that might have touched it, then follow up with heavy Lysol spray. Air it out & continue. NEVER use moldy meds, c'mon, that's just nuts.

Should have pitched all of it far from your grow immediately, if you've had it around this long after finding it you'll prolly have plenty more to deal with now. Get rid of anything with mold on it, bleach your room, dry box, anything that might have touched it, then follow up with heavy Lysol spray. Air it out & continue. NEVER use moldy meds, c'mon, that's just nuts.

Removed the plant awhile back, soaked the branches in peroxide water and used fan to remove excess water. Then hung up in outside shed away from grow room.

Checked a couple buds today and don't see any pm, even  opened up the bud and checked inside.

Now I will finish drying, keep separate and send sample for testing. Cost $35 to $40 but will be worth it just to know if it was pm or not.

No signs of pm on any other plant in grow room, two plants are within a couple weeks of harvest.

No plan to do anything with buds until get results back.

More later.

Well dried the buds and was going to take to PSI for mold testing. Checked some of the buds and decided to pitch it all. It just didn't look right.

PSI charges $50 for the mold test.

I have learned from the experience though. Have a better understanding of mold within the bud. I had no pm on the leaves and that confused me.

Learn as I go. Plan is to purchase a better microscope.

Well dried the buds and was going to take to PSI for mold testing. Checked some of the buds and decided to pitch it all. It just didn't look right.

PSI charges $50 for the mold test.

I have learned from the experience though. Have a better understanding of mold within the bud. I had no pm on the leaves and that confused me.

Learn as I go. Plan is to purchase a better microscope.

Yeah, the pm isnt usually a recurring problem, once the cycle is broken. If u start w clean plants, they usually stay clean, unless things get wildly out of control.

The botrytis (whats inside the nugs) can be a bit more problematic in that u can have a garden run w no mold for a long while, and then have it pop up again. Usually it has to do w genetics once the room is all in order... Some plants r just very good at fighting it off, others just need a couple of hours of loss in control to germinate, and even others will do it seemingly no matter what, where no others ever show a sign of it. Dont blame yourself... Botrytis is very very good at doing what it does.

Yeah, the pm isnt usually a recurring problem, once the cycle is broken. If u start w clean plants, they usually stay clean, unless things get wildly out of control.

The botrytis (whats inside the nugs) can be a bit more problematic in that u can have a garden run w no mold for a long while, and then have it pop up again. Usually it has to do w genetics once the room is all in order... Some plants r just very good at fighting it off, others just need a couple of hours of loss in control to germinate, and even others will do it seemingly no matter what, where no others ever show a sign of it. Dont blame yourself... Botrytis is very very good at doing what it does.

Shut down the closet grow, which was mother plants. Believe this is where the pm started from. Also had a window air conditioner blowing into the flower tent and could have got pm from that.

Looking at moving everything to a new building with separate rooms for veg and flower.

Harvested two more plants and they look good, no pm. Got a couple more to finish off and then will start the move.

I had a stint with bud rot a couple years ago, 2 cycles it kept destroying my tops, i had tore everything down, cleaned sprayed etc, didnt understand what was happening because the room is controlled, i over looked one crucial thing when cleaning. My airconditioner, while i clean the filter and outside, i later had to open it up, and what i found was disgusting, a cm thick layer of mold around the fans. Cleaned it up, put it back together..0 mold issues since. I just do once a year now....food for thought for anyone experiencing mold problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Shut down the grow room, pulled the air conditioner and yes it was nasty looking. At first I was going to clean the air condition and re-use, then decided to pitch in trash and purchase a new one.

Really think this is where the pm was coming from. The air conditioner was an older one and had never been cleaned, but did work well.

No plans for indoor grow at this time, working on a plan for outbuilding grow.

optimal temps for happy molds is 77°F to 88°F (20°C to 30°C),

The optimal growth range for mildew is 70 to 93percent relative humidity (RH). RH would

have to be below 62 percent to stop all

chances for mold growth, although RH

below 70 percent inhibits most mold growth. A lower RH delays spore germination of molds, reduces the rate of mold growth, and lowers the number of cells produced.

cleaning is a good preventative start, but a pile of mold spores- in conditions that wont support them......wont report on plants.

(without mold within... plants would not grow in soil)

bringing a moldy plant into the grow room wont spread mold to other plants unless the

conditions are ripe for mold propagation. Its near impossible for the home grower to avoid molds in the grow room, but relatively easy to prevent it from flourishing on a plant.

Keep a bottle of bleach spray on hand for your new ac unit. a spritz year is what I've done since the beginning, but I did replace a worn unit once after three years running. Mine is hooked to an external thermo and the unit doesnt like the abrupt on/off cycles.

best summer wishes to all !

The lights-on temp in room was under 77 and the rh was under 40 most of the time. During lights off, the air conditioner was off also and humidity might go to 50 percent.

The air conditioner was in window across from the front of the tent and blew into tent (about 4 feet). Turned up the loovers so air blew up into the room.

Not positive as to what went wrong, just checking everything. Air conditioner did look really nasty inside though.

Room is a bedroom again, seems weird to see the door open.lol

do you employ scrubbers full time? they go a long way to clean spore free air. expensive, but mine last a couple/fewyears in the flower room longer in veg. I get those big ones usually but a few little phresh ones were great in the office.

I grew in tents in my office for a year or so, and had a maze of tents to walk through. It was like one step to the left, three steps, turn unzip...etc

my controls were much cheaper in this space than in the outdoor building and I cant decide if cooling costs me more than drying yet. Seem sto be a wash for the most part but there is a "sweet spot" that just past, where my grow bills are a hundy less....lasts for about two months. I always spend those hundies on new genetics.

gorilla glue was my last investment, and they're in full flower right now. Huge, standard looking, big fat leaves, hard stalks, bright green and smelling at only 15 days in the room.  Her clones root fast  GG cut on monday roots by friday. So far no sexual confusion, no strange growth.....I'm very pleased so far. I hope it lives up to the hype. 

Nothing worse than strain hunting only to find a hyped mediocre performer , wasting months and oodles of cash just to see if its true....

I chucked some pollen from a purposely confused female LSD back to an LSD x Medicine Man and it seems this might be new favorite. I've grown about thirty of them so far and all were wrapped tight, angry and sexy.  I'm not sure I've ever had better effects from cannabis.  LSD is a star in her own right, but I think she needed a bump. I cant seem to focus on much else but this new found cannabis these days......

No, never used a scrubber. Actually have no idea what they look like, but will do some research.

You will like the GG. Grew the GG for a couple years now, really sticky and stinky (in a good way). A very good producer also, average 4 oz. inside. The plants I have after topping, spread out a lot and center was bare. Still produced very well.

Last couple of grows when changed to flower, the lower/bottom leaves would turn yellow. Other plants were fine though. Something in nutrients that they disliked.

GG is too strong for some patients. Some patients mix with other lower potency strains. Also a mixture of Valley Pearl CBD and GG works well.

Checked out the scrubbers and yes they are expensive. $700 on up for a decent scrubber. Would I need one in each room, veg and flower?

The new grow area will have two rooms, veg and a flower room. I have a 5' x 10' tent that I would like to use in the flower room. Always leave the front doors open all the time. Run two 600 watt lights in the tent, and have two plants per light. A

couple weeks before harvest, I add two more small plants to each light. This way I get a jump start on the next harvest.

You can get a 750 cfm 8 in phresh scrubber for 2-300 bucks. Im running one now and on an 8 in can max fan, its only job is to scrub the air in a 10x14 room. While this is pushing it in terms of airflow for the room, it is working. Previously i had a 10in max fan with gigantic can filter(650$) doing the same thing, i only replaced because the filter was used up and the fan was about 4 years old.

I have two Phresh filters , I think they were 300ea and some sunleaves blue inline fans full time. both are in the flower room, one plumbed to circulate scrubbed air between the two rooms. Unless I've got a room full of medicine man or rks flowering at the same time they keep up fine. I also have a smaller one  inside my drying closet full time and a part time one in the room that houses that closet. I replace them every few years, or when medicine man is noticeable in the driveway.....lol