Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

Got another grow question:

Shut down the indoor grow and had a couple plants in flower (two weeks), moved them to outside grow and cover them at 6 pm each day.

The plants seem to be doing good.

Now, do I need to cover for the remainder of the flower time? The plants are now about 4 weeks into flower.

Nice buds forming.

Got another grow question:

Shut down the indoor grow and had a couple plants in flower (two weeks), moved them to outside grow and cover them at 6 pm each day.

The plants seem to be doing good.

Now, do I need to cover for the remainder of the flower time? The plants are now about 4 weeks into flower.

Nice buds forming.

yes you do, or they will reveg, till the light is equal veggin is were they will head.. if it was me i would want to put them bck inside till finished. or cover them for the next month..

Hey I need some cloning advice,

I have shut down my rooms for the summer and was wondering if there is a viable way to preserve my genetics for a few months?

Can I put uprooted cutting in the fridge?

Clones in the fridge?

Any help would be great

i make clones and veg them till there big enough to clone again, then kill it and chuck it.. rinse repeat till next year.. bout monthly or a bit less you can reclone again. 

grassmatch knows how to preserve stuff for later. possibly dried out ?

I dont think that is real user friendly :) here is  a snip it of doing it..i guess if you want a new hobby.. LOL 

Induction of high-frequency shoot regeneration using nodal segments containing axillary buds from a 1-yr-old mother plants of Cannabis sativa was achieved on Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium containing 0.05–5.0 μM thidiazuron. The quality and quantity of regenerants were better with thidiazuron (0.5 μM thidiazuron) than with benzyladenine or kinetin. Adding 7.0 μM of gibberellic acid into a medium containing 0.5 μM thidiazuron slightly increased shoot growth. Elongated shoots when transferred to half-strength MS medium supplemented with 500 mg l−1 activated charcoal and 2.5 μM indole-3-butyric acid resulted in 95% rooting. The rooted plants were successfully acclimatized in soil. 

MS is the most commonly used nutrient base in tissue culture. It can be found at Phytotech Labs website. They sell it in various packets from 1 liter dose packs to huge amounts. It is fairly cheap. You can mix it in a gallon jug and freeze what you dont use and use it next time... its fairly stable.. Part of this protocol asks for 1/2 MS or half strenght MS. Just double the water on a 1L packet. 

Thidiazuron is a herbicide. It works like a plant growth regulator at this low dose. Again it can be found at Phytotech labs. 

Glibberic acid is there too commonly used for busting dormancy on seeds it works well in the tissue culture media. It is found at Phytotechs Website. 

Phytotechs website; http://www.phytotechlab.com/ 

Link to MS media for this protocol is; it runs about $1 a liter http://www.phytotech...ail.aspx?ID=452 

Whats in Ms? its listed below! I might try a mushie grow with some of this in the water since I have inadvertently grown fungus on my plant medias from a wild spore. Neat stuff.. 

Ammonium Nitrate 1650 Boric Acid 6.2 Calcium Chloride, Anhydrous 332.2 Cobalt Chloride•6H2O 0.025 Cupric Sulfate•5H2O 0.025 Na2EDTA•2H2O 37.26 Ferrous Sulfate•7H2O 27.8 Magnesium Sulfate, Anhydrous 180.7 Manganese Sulfate•H2O 16.9 Molybdic Acid (Sodium Salt)• 2H2O 0.25 Potassium Iodide 0.83 Potassium Nitrate 1900 Potassium Phosphate, Monobasic 170 Zinc Sulfate•7H2O 8.6 Glycine (Free Base) 2 myo-Inositol 100 Nicotinic Acid (Free Acid) 0.5 Pyridoxine•HCI 0.5 Thiamine•HCI 0.1 

Glibberic acid is found here. (Also called GA) At this strenght use 1/2 a mL its close enough for clone work;

http://www.phytotech...il.aspx?ID=332 

2.5 μM indole-3-butyric acid (or IBA) is found at: 

http://www.phytotech...ail.aspx?ID=386 

How do you get a clean plant to put in vitro?? 

This is the hard part and this is where people get pissed off because they get contaminated cultures. I can lessen the amount of contamination if you follow this easy cleaning protocol; 

1) Excise you explant. Explant is the plant you are going to use in vitro. Here we are using the nodal segments containing axillary buds. Cut above and below the node. I suggest using surgical gloves when handling the plant to lessen contamination. Use a clean non serrated edge knife to make the node excision. I would say if you got the plants take 3 nodal cuttings. 

2) Take a mason jar wide mouth quart, take the middle flat plate out. Replace it with window screen and screw the ring cap over the screen after placing your explants in the jar. Put the jar under your kitchen sink spigot and turn the water on. Let the water flow freely into the jar got 15 minutes. This will use gentle water pressure to remove gross contaminates from your explant. After it is done drain the water and get your explants to you hood or clean box quickly. 

3) Next is the alcohol dip. Use regular strenght alcohol for this. Using a long pair of tweezers or a hemostat that is clean remove the explant from your screened over jar and place it in a jar that contains alcohol for about 10-15 seconds. This helps further remove contaminates. 

4) Next you want to have on hand a 10% Ultra Bleach Solution. I make it in a measured shotglass that has mL on it. 10mL of bleach and 90mL of distilled water.. Make about 5 glasses full of this stuff and put it in a separate mason jar with a normal lid (dont autoclave this stuff make it up fresh). Place one drop of dish washing soap in the bleach solution. Place your explants from the alcohol dip directly into the bleach water. Now shake it up moderately for 10-15 minutes. 

5) when done shaking you will use tweezers or hemostats remove explant from this solution and transfer the explant to a jar of plain distilled water. this will dilute/ wash off the bleach and stop killing good tissue. 6) Take explants out trim each end of the node (cut off bleached ends to get to nice green tissue and place each explant in a jar of your media). Thats how you clean the plant.... 

Ok how to make the media!! Easy stuff... Use Agar or other types of gelling agents.. I prefer agar... follow the instructions to make 1 liter... What I normally do it take 1 liter of water and place it in a teflon pot and bring it to a boil. 

Once it boils chuck in the MS nutrients, shake in agar and I add a chemical called PPM (plant preservative solution anti fungal and anti bacterial... found here... cuts down on contamination http://www.hometissu...TCGsupplies.htm ( I use 1 mL/L)....... you will see the water go from cloudy to clear.. the agar is melted and the media is ready for jars. 

Put media in jars and pressure cook at 15 lbs for 15 minutes. When you take it out of the Pressure cooker make sure it is still kinda hot and swirl the jar a bit to make sure the agar mixes.. if you dont you will not get a good gel set. Swirl is pretty critical.. 

You can learn how to do tissue culture via a kit and get a nice set of equipment to use and get a nice DVD here (I am friends with the president of the non-profit) : http://www.hometissu...catalogkits.htm 

Alternative places to get required chemicals at: http://www.caissonlabs.com/ 

Compare prices.. Phytotech isnt always the cheapest. 

Edited by Willy

yes you do, or they will reveg, till the light is equal veggin is were they will head.. if it was me i would want to put them bck inside till finished. or cover them for the next month..

Putting back inside is not an option, I will cover in evening until harvest time. I cover at 6 pm and pull cover after dark, so not that hard to do.

Thanks

• 8 months later...

New grow question:

Got some plants in veg and leaves are bending under. Also, the leaves are turning brown along the edges. Upon checking closely, got some really small worm like pests on top of leaves. This is checking with a magnifier and they are about 1/3 size

of spider mites. I have sprayed with Neem,oil,

Fungicide 3, and Insecticidal Soap and still got the critters.

Not sure what they are, any ideas?

I was leaning towards thrips also, only problem is these are on top of leaves instead of underneath leaves. This is probably the larvae that I am seeing on top of leaves.

Plan was to take clones of these plants later on for outdoor grow. I will get some of the no pest strips. Sprayed the soil once and will spray again.

Thanks Mal for info.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the problem was aphids! Put up some sticky strips, sprayed every three to four days and plants are looking good again.

I did destroy a couple plants that were struggling.

Back on track now.

I did consider destroying all the plants and start over, but it became a challenge to solve the problem.

I've always looked under the leaves for problems, this is first for top of leaves.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...