Using A Food Dehydrator To Dry Cannabis?

Kingdiamond

I meant to say dry not cure why is there no way to edit yout title line?

Anyhoo i was looking over ideas on curing and i came across this entry.

A food dehydrator or food preserver will dry your pot in a few hours, but it will not taste the same as slow-dried. Very close though. And this will speed your harvest time (which can be nerve-wracking, with all this pot hanging around drying.)

(Thanks to the original poster)

Has anyone ever tried this method of drying their cannabis? :huh:

i dont know where the link is ,but read that when you water cure to use a dehyodrator.i want to try it and if it dont work ill make some beef jerky .either way....win,win,.but it does dry and perservs other food well.why wounldnt it work for that too.still in all im gonna try it.maybe not alot at first...but thanks for the post

Hello,

I have done this method before and the way I do it is to let it hang for about 2 days first and then if I need a quick small amount then I use the dehydrator. I have never really noticed much of a taste difference, but I also never completely dry it this way, it dries only the outside to the inside if left long enough. I dehydrate it for about an hour and then jar it for a few hours to equalize the moisture and then dehydrate more if needed and jar it...etc..etc.. until it is dried nicely. I will say it is better just to do it the old fashioned way but if your in a pinch it does work well and the taste to me is about the same, although different strains may react differently to being dried this way, and my pallette for taste is not as picky as many other peoples.

I use this cabinet. It has a computer fan in the back. Shelves are screen & the top can be used for trimming.

have used dehydrator before & could definatly tell the difference. In a pinch I use the vaporizer. It works well with fresh medicine.

Definitely take as much time as necessary to dry&cure those baby's. Low temp, dark, and a little air movement is key. A rushed dry&cure will make your finished product just that much less enticing, and can actually completely change the taste and smoke-ability. Kudos to you ikline300... Nice cabinet ... Peace, Love, and Big Buds

NO, dont use a dehydrator as your going to end up with harsh bitter uncured herb that burns like poo.

Why cant people just take their time and let it dry nice and slow, everyone is in a rush it seems. You waited 12 weeks (give or take) to grow these plants, why rush them through the MOST important step of the entire process, the trimming, drying and curing.

It should take at least a week to dry if you do it right then another 2-4 weeks to cure. THEN its ready.

I have met many people who have never even tried properly dried and cured herb and cant believe how much better it tastes and how much more potent it is vs something rushed through the process via a dehydrator etc.

Take the time to do it right and you will have something worth waiting for.

NO, dont use a dehydrator as your going to end up with harsh bitter uncured herb that burns like poo.

Why cant people just take their time and let it dry nice and slow, everyone is in a rush it seems. You waited 12 weeks (give or take) to grow these plants, why rush them through the MOST important step of the entire process, the trimming, drying and curing.

It should take at least a week to dry if you do it right then another 2-4 weeks to cure. THEN its ready.

I have met many people who have never even tried properly dried and cured herb and cant believe how much better it tastes and how much more potent it is vs something rushed through the process via a dehydrator etc.

Take the time to do it right and you will have something worth waiting for.

I second this entire post.

Because due to a fat lie by someone i trusted ill be left without medicine for 2-4 weeks :angry:

Plus im no moron i know fast cures will likely reduce quality but im not one to beg anyone for anything i currently have no money to go to any outside source and i provide my own medicine good or bad i guess ill do what i have to do not to go without.

I have used a dehydrator before and it made the process painless till I smoked it! As already mentioned, it was harsh on the throat, and I didn't get a chance to really monitor the dryness so it got crispy quick. I rehydrated. But it was tricky to guess at how much moisture was in the stalks still. I stiil have the dehydrator, but only use it for leaves and little bottom buds before I make oil. Just be patient, "Good things come to those who wait"!

• 8 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/16/2018 at 4:24 AM, Wojo said:

I started using this cannabis dryer HerbsNow.  All my jars smell fantastic.  Very happy with results.  No longer hang drying.

20181009_223908.jpg

20180813_190039.jpg

This looks exactly like the food dehydrator that I bought for drying 3d printing filament, what temperature and time settings do you use?