Low Smell Strain

A patient of mine wants to take a stab a growing her own and has asked me for a recommendation. She is hyper-paranoid about being stealthy, so she is looking for the lowest smelling strains available. As this has never been an issue for me in the past, I couldn't give her any advice, so I'm looking to the board for your suggestions. She has severe pain 24/7, so she is looking for both indica and sativa dominant varieties to match her needs for daytime or nighttime relief.

A patient of mine wants to take a stab a growing her own and has asked me for a recommendation. She is hyper-paranoid about being stealthy, so she is looking for the lowest smelling strains available. As this has never been an issue for me in the past, I couldn't give her any advice, so I'm looking to the board for your suggestions. She has severe pain 24/7, so she is looking for both indica and sativa dominant varieties to match her needs for daytime or nighttime relief.

Hmmmmm.....Let me ponder on that one........????... I would say it would probably be easier to just control the stench with some carbon filters or something rather than trying to find a low odor strain. Even if you were able to find a low smelling strain there will still be some smell to deal with. Good Luck.....Peace :)

Yes very odd question indeed. I dont know if you will really find an answer to that, in my opinion the smell is based on the quality of the marijuana and how you are growing it. I know certain strains will stink more then others, so maybe she should stay away from extra smelly ones? Like sour diesel , kush, etc... like the user above pointed out , she would probably be best just using carbon filters and whatnot.

Well any plant is going to smell, If your concerned with it I would opt for a more fruity smelling strain, steer away from Skunk, Kush, Diesel ones that are def no goes. Shiskaberry, Northern Lights and Hashberry are a few that I've grown and they smelled pretty fruity. Don't get me wrong, Marijuana smells like marijuana. Always has always will, but this may be a little more subtle then some of the other, and the fruity overtones tend to help. A carbon scrubber can still be used even if your in a bedroom, keep it close to the plants and make sure to have a high CFM fan running on it as to keep the pressure in the room at a negative. I.E. Air from outside of the room enters instead of air from the room escaping.

As I mentioned earlier, her financial situation does not allow for the purchase of a fan plus carbon scrubber. The room is actually a 16x20 studio, so it would take quite large fan and scrubber to cycle through all of the air in her room. Her landlord lives below her and is not 420 friendly.

I already suggested Northern Lights to her. Good call on the Skunk, Kush and Diesel - that's the sort of input I'm looking for. Thanks, Jipo.

As for the correlation between smell and potency, I've never bought into it 100%. No question it is true for many strains, but I've smelled enough stinky weed that was weak, and several milder batches that ended up knocking me out when actually smoked.

As I mentioned earlier, her financial situation does not allow for the purchase of a fan plus carbon scrubber. The room is actually a 16x20 studio, so it would take quite large fan and scrubber to cycle through all of the air in her room. Her landlord lives below her and is not 420 friendly.

I already suggested Northern Lights to her. Good call on the Skunk, Kush and Diesel - that's the sort of input I'm looking for. Thanks, Jipo.

As for the correlation between smell and potency, I've never bought into it 100%. No question it is true for many strains, but I've smelled enough stinky weed that was weak, and several milder batches that ended up knocking me out when actually smoked.

a carbon scrubber is extremely easy to build and cheap. Goto a hardware store and get gardners mesh, a 8" to 6" reducer duct and a 8" duct cap. Then go to a pet store and get 10-20lbs of activated carbon. Take the Gardners mesh and make a round tube the diameter of the inside of the duct reducer (6") and a put 2 nylon leggings over this. Sometimes it helps to use zip ties or garbage ties to secure the mesh. Next do the same thing to the 8" diameter. Fill the middle between the 8" and 6" section with all the activated carbon and put a old blanket or something around it if you want to restrict the air flow a bit which will increase the pressure inside. That can be done for under 100 bucks and more then likely under 50 if you search around. HTG supply has some great fans for around 100 bucks, or you're cheaper inline fans are alright but use a 10"-12" inline fan with reducers to get additional CFM. If you can't create a negative pressure in the room, which this wont by any means it will at least help, keep it in the center of the plants or as close as possible and it will reduce smell greatly, while it may not smell proof the thing it will help and you looking at sub 150-200 in cost.

Also curing is the major aspect of the smell, I've had strains that don't smell much at all that knocked me out, but I bet they stunk while growing. I'll actually assure they have, they just didn't cure very strong scent wise, whether it was to airated in the curing jars or possibly slow dried and then distributed, theres many things that effect post harvest smell, but no marijuana smells stronger then while its growing. Another thing you wont have to worry about much smelling other then green lush vegetative smell until about 4-6 weeks of veg or 1-2 weeks into flower, thats when they usually start smelling, and its usually pretty uncontrollable around harvest time.

Serious Seeds strain Chronic would be a good to look into. Smell does have direct effect on potency and medical benefits generally. The reason being is that there are nowhere near as many terpenes in a less smelly or tastey strain. Terpenes have a major effect on health properties as they are essential oils. Terpenes affect the brain themselves(aromatherapy) and also modify the effect of THC in the brain. Look for a strain that has a higher amount of myrcene and or linalool.

There is a really good article called The Secret Chemistry of Cannabis Odors and Highs by Ed Rosenthal in The Big Book of Buds Volume 3 on page 96. Also as was mentioned above proper curing is essential, especially with a lower smelling strain like Chronic. If cured properly, the smell and taste of Chronic really comes out. If not cured, Chronic will lose it's smell and taste permenantly, making people think it is just an average strain, which it is not. While it is alive, it has the subtle scent of wildflowers, which is a telltale that it has the terpene linalool in it,which has a sedative affect. Another benefit of Chronic is it is a huge yielder that is not very bushy, so it won't take up a lot of room.

Hmmmm.. Yes, there are some strains out there like NL and a few others that have a slightly different or less of a smell.... But, here is the reality They all smell like pot growing :) If a landlord or any "Joe shmoe" off the street were to get a wiff, they would know something was up. We are talking about the glorious smell of marijuana and it would stick out like a sore thumb no matter the strain. That lanlords probably lived there for umpteen years and he has never smelled that there, and would be on to it in a second. Sounds to me like she either needs to find a "cooler" place to live or go stealth. :ph34r: Make some small/smart investments to ensure her comfort and growing success. 1. A small grow tent ~$60 online 2. One small carbon can filter/ either bought or built (like the plans above) 3. a small inline duct fan. You need to scrub that smelly air leaving that tent or :angry: yes, angry face.... Peace, Love, and Big Stinky Buds

If she just wants to do a small grow with a couple plants, then she could control the smell with a 5 gallon bucket and a aquarium airstone. Just fill the bucket with 2 gallons of water or less. And put a few ounces of Pinesol in the there. Throw in the airstone, plug it in and Whala ! Her entire flat will smell like fresh clean pinesol for 6 weeks plus. Just replace the solution when the "pinesol" scent starts to decrease. She most likely won't have to worry about odor until the plants are starting to mature.

B)

People say C-99 smells unlike the tell tale weed smell when growing

Some sort of stelath cabinet might work

check out icmag.com roll-it up ect

But you will need something...with landlord that close

Some sort of small DIY filter or pick up a cheap homemade one on e-bay...with a fan attached...lots of people seem to be making those little carbon filter/fan combos and selling for cheap on ebay

Like this here

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-x-14-ACTIVATED-CARBON-FILTER-ODOR-SCRUBBER-130-CFM-/350331005894?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51915aebc6

It has a axial type of fan that would be quiet enough to live with a give plenty of air flow to cool of the box...

Planning on using CFLsS or HIDs ?

250 watt CFL http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/bright-wing-250w-2700k-cfl-grow-light-p-2762.html

250 watt HPS http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/sun-system-250w-hps-enclosed-grow-light-p-1329.html

250 watt enclosed digital

http://www.4hydroponics.com/lighting/HIDmini2.asp?ItemNo=sunburst250Eballast

More description on this digital 250 enclosed w/air-cooled option

http://homeharvest.com/SunburstCompactConvertible.htm

150 watt HPS

http://www.4hydroponics.com/lighting/HIDmini2.asp?ItemNo=sunSystemHPS150

Just make sure the intakes are 2 times in area of the exaust

example 6 in exaust radius squared X 3.14 = area so 3 X 3.14 = 28.26sq in...times 2 equals 56.52 in sq...so 7x8 inch intake or two 6 inch circle intakes...but circles are very tricky must calculate the area with forumla radius squared X 3.14

Good thread on ventilation ...Ventilation 101

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112862

One of these fans

http://www.hvacquick.com/products/residential/Bathroom-Ventilation/Remote-Fans-for-Bath/SP-TD-Series-Inline-Fans

These fans are pretty quiet...and work better you could get a 4" Td-100

http://www.hvacquick.com/products/residential/Bathroom-Ventilation/Remote-Fans-for-Bath/SP-TD-Series-Inline-Fans

Could make a filter or this on on ebay...4"

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-X-12-ACTIVATED-CARBON-FILTER-HYDROPONIC-ODOR-SCRUBBER-/350313419574?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51904e9336

Just in case ...how to make your own muffler or you can buy one..these are pretty awsome looking

http://www.greners.com/fans-ventilation-filters/products/mufflers/duct-silencers.html

DIY DUCT MUFFLER

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=65345&highlight=muffler

DIY pro style carbon filter

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=29402

S&P FANS

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=90678

But I would say no matter what...and this person you say is "hyper-paranoid"...yeah carbon filter

And the plants need air...that simple and so probably for about 150$ you could get a decent exaust system together...200 if you need a muffler...small axial fan inside for circulation

THere's a low odor thread on icmag

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=107363

But youll need a carbon filter anyway...to be sure..yep

A small cabinet will help with the effiency...air flow...reflectivity...and contain the smell...not to mention hide it from the land lord

What are they lords? ...what is this medieval times !!!lol!

These cabinets ....vent passively so you just need to suck the air out though the filter

Even with Northern Lights...anything...it WILL stink...some just stink to high heaven

Others are pretty mild...you want peace of mind...sounds schetchy enough already...

Get the exaust set up with a filter :D

Heres a list from the Low odor thread icmag.com

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=107363

Fruitbowl

Haze Skunk

Female Seeds Grapefruit

Nebula

Kali Mist

duth dragon

c99

northern lights

Mandala#1

Princess Diesel

Nirvana's Bubblegum

Nirvana ICE

nirvana's top 44

MOD's Kali Most

Female Seeds' Grapefruit x N. Haze

serious seeds-chronic

Reclining Buddah

a11

cinderella

black russian

Potofgold

Dr. Atomic's Northern berry

Joey Weed's NL99

Belladonna

Bog -Boggle Gum

sol sweet tooth #4

a11xc99

mandala hashberyy

satori

Dutch Passion -Power plant

Nirvana big bud

HQS Blueberries

Masterkush

Mama Thai

Mandala Sadhu

Federation- Hawaiian Sativa

Great White North- Early Sativa

Shiskaberry

Rez- Apollo 11

Rez- Williams Wonder IX1

Serious- White Russian

Sag- Stonehedge

Agent Orange

Jacks Cleaner II

arjans haze 3

BC-Champagne

sol-Sweet Tooth #3 or #4

purple power

Jlp-Ak47 x vbs

CH9 Jack

nirvana's Pure Power plant

afgoiee

goo

Apollo 11-joeys weed

Mexican Sativa sensi seeds

Original Flo's

blue mystic -NIRVANA

Northern Lights

Kali Most MODS

MOD MODS

G-13 clone

afgani

Green Spirit

NL99

Herb, you are the man! That's a great list and she'll have lots to research and choose from. Myself, I use a carbon scrubber + ozone generator and let the chips fall where they may, but she asked for this info and I'm just trying to help a patient out. Again, much thanks.

Thanks for the list Herb. The one thing on the list that I know isn't too low of a smeller is Belladonna. I've grown her myself and she is quite smelly. She is a Paradise Seeds offering that is Super Skunk crossed with an unknown male. Great strain but is pretty smelly(not as bad as a pure Skunk though), has a great yield, good medical value(can be a trippy high with peaks of hallucinogenic rushes but not speedy like a lot of sativa dominant strains), and is relatively cheap. Would make a GREAT outdoor strain in Michigan.

Thanks for the list Herb. The one thing on the list that I know isn't too low of a smeller is Belladonna. I've grown her myself and she is quite smelly. She is a Paradise Seeds offering that is Super Skunk crossed with an unknown male. Great strain but is pretty smelly(not as bad as a pure Skunk though), has a great yield, good medical value(can be a trippy high with peaks of hallucinogenic rushes but not speedy like a lot of sativa dominant strains), and is relatively cheap. Would make a GREAT outdoor strain in Michigan.

Yep some one else also mentioed that at the end of the icmag thread

I think nebula from paradise might be the low odor choice if its even on the list cant see it right now ...lol

If she just wants to do a small grow with a couple plants, then she could control the smell with a 5 gallon bucket and a aquarium airstone. Just fill the bucket with 2 gallons of water or less. And put a few ounces of Pinesol in the there. Throw in the airstone, plug it in and Whala ! Her entire flat will smell like fresh clean pinesol for 6 weeks plus. Just replace the solution when the "pinesol" scent starts to decrease. She most likely won't have to worry about odor until the plants are starting to mature.

B)

People say C-99 smells unlike the tell tale weed smell when growing

I was going to try that myself but had reservations only because I realized that chemicals could evaporate into the air along with the water. I'm not sure how this could affect someone with respitory problems. I wasn't worried about myself but for my roommate. I don't think the amounts of chemical compounds would amount to much but I just wanted to be safe. How has your experience been using this method? Can anyone think of a good natural solution that might be a little safer with patients with respitory problems that is as odorproof as Pinesol? I'm thinking maybe an essential oil that has a lot of smell bubbled in the water. Clove oil is pretty strong but I personally hate the smell of cloves.

I have access to a Duck'sFoot clone. It has very low odor in flower. At least in early-mid flower. I will let ya know how the smell is as she ripens up. As BDR says cannabis is going to smell like marijuana. The Duck'sFoot smells very minty and fresh. No skunk or medicine like cannabis odor. The leaves are also totally webbed. The plant is stealthy even when you are looking right at it. In flower how ever it does have nice buds that are a dead give away.

PM me if you want to see pictures. Unfortunately I can not send smells.

• 2 weeks later...

hey i too would be curious if there is a less potent way of doing this. i have asthma and cleaning chemicals sometimes trigger it.

I was going to try that myself but had reservations only because I realized that chemicals could evaporate into the air along with the water. I'm not sure how this could affect someone with respitory problems. I wasn't worried about myself but for my roommate. I don't think the amounts of chemical compounds would amount to much but I just wanted to be safe. How has your experience been using this method? Can anyone think of a good natural solution that might be a little safer with patients with respitory problems that is as odorproof as Pinesol? I'm thinking maybe an essential oil that has a lot of smell bubbled in the water. Clove oil is pretty strong but I personally hate the smell of cloves.

hey i too would be curious if there is a less potent way of doing this. i have asthma and cleaning chemicals sometimes trigger it.

Scrub that funky air with a carbon filter.... It's the best and safest way to eliminate the skunky funky.. ;) any type of spray or chem is just going to stay in the area and cause trouble... Scrub It!!B) Peace!!

The smell is a little bit stronger now on my webbed girl, but still very manageable (almost nonexistent). She is packing on crystals now. I am hoping that she fattens up a bunch in the next few weeks.

med_gallery_12686_91_33881.jpg

med_gallery_12686_91_192936.jpg

med_gallery_12686_91_638641.jpg

med_gallery_12686_91_962387.jpg

These buds were grown under fluoros. I can't wait to see how well she does under a 1k HPS.

She would also be great in cabinet grows because of the growth structure. Here she is tied down at 35 days in a 1 gallon pot.

med_gallery_12686_91_974037.jpg

She is now in a 3 gallon and untied. She stayed pretty much right where she was tied down at after she was released.

Clones available soon for stealthier grows.

Archived